Page 35 of 62 FirstFirst ... 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ... LastLast
    We'll see a rise in premiums regardless. That's how health insurance companies roll.
    Heal up, cat. Collapsed lung?! Impact injury?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Fucking Maine is fucking fucked.

This summer if you go to Maine you need to bring your own groceries

Then shelter in place for fourteen days

Then you can go to the “beach”.
    As if Maine actually had a beach. And not just a rock pile.
    Fucking Mainerds
    Lols
    Yup. No beaches in Maine. Move along, nothing to see here.

The water's too cold and it has too many lobsters in it.

My 6 year old told my wife she is afraid that mom and dad will die of the virus. But she knows we are not over 65 so it probably won't happen to us, but she knows her grandparents will probably die because of it as they are really old but she doesn't want them to die. She is also afraid she will never see her friends again. She doesn't know when this will all end, so she asked my wife, when will it? When can I see my friends?

We have been hiding her from all this bullshit and also making sure we don't talk candidly about the virus in a neighboring room to protect her. But when Mom leaves the kids in the car for 5 minutes to go to a store with a mask on, how can she not understand things are fucked up? When Nana visits only the backyard, and the kid is told not to get within 6 feet, how does she not know why? Why did her Disneyland trip with her grandparents get cancelled? Why did school stop? Why can't she go to the store with dad anymore? Why can't she go to playgrounds? Why can't I have a dumb kid that can't put 2 and 2 together when we give her vague answers to tough questions, you know - like an average republican boomer who can't see past his nose?

Yeah, we told her some non-specific info on why we are alone at home for months and why you can't hug Nana. We tried. Wife is a therapist who works with troubled kids, she knows how to not stress out kids and how to talk to them. Maybe we shoulda lied more. What do you do?

Muted. That’s harsh.
    My kids are older, tweens.
    Still not right. Still scary. But not lost in that twilight zone.
    6 is a magically fun age. And hers has been stolen.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.”
    Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    My 6 year old told my wife she is afraid that mom and dad will die of the virus. But she knows we are not over 65 so it probably won't happen to us, but she knows her grandparents will probably die because of it as they are really old but she doesn't want them to die. She is also afraid she will never see her friends again. She doesn't know when this will all end, so she asked my wife, when will it? When can I see my friends?

We have been hiding her from all this bullshit and also making sure we don't talk candidly about the virus in a neighboring room to protect her. But when Mom leaves the kids in the car for 5 minutes to go to a store with a mask on, how can she not understand things are fucked up? When Nana visits only the backyard, and the kid is told not to get within 6 feet, how does she not know why? Why did her Disneyland trip with her grandparents get cancelled? Why did school stop? Why can't she go to the store with dad anymore? Why can't she go to playgrounds? Why can't I have a dumb kid that can't put 2 and 2 together when we give her vague answers to tough questions, you know - like an average republican boomer who can't see past his nose?

Yeah, we told her some non-specific info on why we are alone at home for months and why you can't hug Nana. We tried. Wife is a therapist who works with troubled kids, she knows how to not stress out kids and how to talk to them. Maybe we shoulda lied more. What do you do?
    muted -
    I strongly recommend Not lying to your daughter - which is not the same as dated information that is subsequently not-correct- but if you lie - tell her something you know is Not-true - when that is exposed ( - and it is only reasonable to believe it will be exposed- ) trust will have been damaged - forever. Forever.

my suggestion ( and it is only a suggestion ) is treat your daughter as a mature, thoughtful person : the most successful parents I have observed in more than forty years of watching parents, always do this.
    ( they do not use the, 'you are Just a child... ' excuse - )
    " we don't know " is an acceptable response ;
    Empty promises are not (acceptable. You know this- )

Good luck... it is a challenging time (!)

Thank you for your thoughtful post -

tj

Does Nana live close?

Here's our deal. My entire immediate family lives in the same town less than 5 min away. We still regularly all see each other. Sunday was my mom's birthday. The kids (my 2 and my niece) went over all day and cooked nonna dinner.

I still regularly take my kids on errands, store, hone Depot, tractor supply, etc. I just can't let them all be 100% freaked. Have to maintain some sense of normalcy. We are not actively interacting with those outside the family.

Call me crazy, bitch me out, but it's how we been rolling since this started.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app
    http://www.firsttracksonline.com

I wish i could be like SkiFishBum

“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.”
    Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    The water's too cold and it has too many lobsters in it.
    Yup. Move along. Go back to Mass.

Quote Originally Posted by skiJ View Post
    muted -

tj
    Thanks man. I only lie that we don't have candy in the house, ha. Wife refuses to lie to the kids at all but she's smarter than me. I'm just venting on how naive I was that she wouldn't be so stressed out. And to indirectly say to everyone, which I'm sure most have done because TGR crew is smarter than the average board, is just ask your little kids how they are doing, like you do to an adult.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Does Nana live close?

Here's our deal. My entire immediate family lives in the same town less than 5 min away. We still regularly all see each other. Sunday was my mom's birthday. The kids (my 2 and my niece) went over all day and cooked nonna dinner.

I still regularly take my kids on errands, store, hone Depot, tractor supply, etc. I just can't let them all be 100% freaked. Have to maintain some sense of normalcy. We are not actively interacting with those outside the family.

Call me crazy, bitch me out, but it's how we been rolling since this started.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app
    Nana is 86 and has many health issues. I don't want to give anything to her. I think it's great you guys are seeing each other, and I think I'm over reacting on not hugging her and keeping distance. Maybe I'll mellow out with her coming over. But no fucking way I'm taking my kids to Home Depot! Ha.

As if Maine actually had a beach. And not just a rock pile.
    Have you ever actually been to Maine?

Quote Originally Posted by skiJ View Post
    muted -
    I strongly recommend Not lying to your daughter - which is not the same as dated information that is subsequently not-correct- but if you lie - tell her something you know is Not-true - when that is exposed ( - and it is only reasonable to believe it will be exposed- ) trust will have been damaged - forever. Forever.

my suggestion ( and it is only a suggestion ) is treat your daughter as a mature, thoughtful person : the most successful parents I have observed in more than forty years of watching parents, always do this.
    ( they do not use the, 'you are Just a child... ' excuse - )
    " we don't know " is an acceptable response ;
    Empty promises are not (acceptable. You know this- )

tj
    Good advice for parents . . . or for anyone talking to the public at, for example, a daily briefing.

Anyone else with toddlers struggling with the mask recommendation?

At some point, we will be sending our 3 year old back to day care and masks will most likely be required. They say that the risks of masks outweigh the benefits for kids under 3. I don't believe that it's much different with 3, 4, and even 5 year olds. They are constantly playing with the masks, adjusting, touching, needing teachers to touch them to readjust. How about when they sneeze in the mask? Do they have new masks on standby? I really cannot see how this can possibly work with any real effectiveness.

Thanks man. I only lie that we don't have candy in the house, ha. Wife refuses to lie to the kids at all but she's smarter than me. I'm just venting on how naive I was that she wouldn't be so stressed out. And to indirectly say to everyone, which I'm sure most have done because TGR crew is smarter than the average board, is just ask your little kids how they are doing, like you do to an adult.

Nana is 86 and has many health issues. I don't want to give anything to her. I think it's great you guys are seeing each other, and I think I'm over reacting on not hugging her and keeping distance. Maybe I'll mellow out with her coming over. But no fucking way I'm taking my kids to Home Depot! Ha.
    Totally understandable on the age thing, and I surely don't fault anyone for doing it the way that they feel safe. I just choose to modify it so that it can have as minimal impact as I can see. Everyones different.

My parents are in their 70s, my dads had heart issues, and some other health issues, but nothing current. My mom is an accident waiting to happen. Like 3 surgeries in the last year, 2 within the last couple months. 2nd hip replacement and she fell and broke her hand needed surgery (just before shutdown). All's well so far...lets hope it stays that way.

Another "party" this weekend for Mothers day/bro in law bday.
    http://www.firsttracksonline.com

I wish i could be like SkiFishBum

can't imagine trying to get toddlers to wear masks.

But as for risks, when people talk about touching the mask reducing its effectiveness, my understanding is that is related to its effectiveness at keeping the virus out (eg, the mask "catches" virus droplets from others, you touch it and "infect" your fingers which you then stick in your mouth or eye). But normal masks aren't particularly effective at that to begin with. Masks are effective at keeping your own droplets from spreading (ie they are a way for you to protect others) so I don't see how touching your own mask constantly defeats that purpose.

Maybe I am missing something, but it seems like there still might be some benefit to toddlers trying to wear them? That said, I am not sure I would send my kid to a day care facility unless I 100% had no choice.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "I'd eat a bag of Dicks and wash it down with a Coke any day." - iceman

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Have you ever actually been to Maine?
    Just what we need, more people going to Maine. It's an awful place. That's all people need to knows.

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    Anyone else with toddlers struggling with the mask recommendation?

At some point, we will be sending our 3 year old back to day care and masks will most likely be required. They say that the risks of masks outweigh the benefits for kids under 3. I don't believe that it's much different with 3, 4, and even 5 year olds. They are constantly playing with the masks, adjusting, touching, needing teachers to touch them to readjust. How about when they sneeze in the mask? Do they have new masks on standby? I really cannot see how this can possibly work with any real effectiveness.
    I can barely keep mittens on my 3 year old while skiing in the cold so a mask may be a ridiculous request. Bright side for my kid is she won't constantly put her mouth on countertops and random furniture. If it stays on, which it won't.

You are not overreacting. Until we can get competent government and competent agencies that will actually do their job and implement the tools and policies to prevent spread, we all need to be in lockdown. Since many of the people currently charged with that at the federal level are derelict in their duties, the direct suffering from the virus and indirect suffering from a cratered economy will be prolonged and severe.

I can barely keep mittens on my 3 year old while skiing in the cold so a mask may be a ridiculous request. Bright side for my kid is she won't constantly put her mouth on countertops and random furniture. If it stays on, which it won't.
    Duct. Tape.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Duct. Tape.

Baby's first ball gag.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    Baby's first ball gag.
    Genius. Nobody can see one under a mask.

Just what we need, more people going to Maine. It's an awful place. That's all people need to knows.
    Do you have cluster flies?

What about the northern lights?
    Hunter S. Thompson

Do you have cluster flies?

What about the northern lights?
    I m actually not from Maine, part of my family is. So I can't answer those questions, however I imagine the answer is yes. I just want fewer people to visit the coast so I can afford to see family and places more often.

Maine’s problem is Massachusetts, New York, Connecticut, and New Jersey are blowing up. Folks looking at map see Maine’s numbers and say let’s go there. Tourism is going to take a huge hit, lobster sales (nephew) will be way down. Going to hurt for sure.

Beaches, lots south of Portland, here and there north.

Northern Lights seen occasionally.

Cluster flies? Black fly swarms? Yeah northern Maine Mother’s Day through Father’s Day.

State is pretty divided politically, lot of baptist, nra stickers, back to land folks who followed the Nearings here.

As of now the governor has vacationland closed

Just found out today it has more old people per capita than Florida. How'd that happen?

Let's do some livin'
    After, we die