Page 61 of 62 FirstFirst ... 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,525 of 1547
    Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    I may need a hearing aid. Trying to communicate at a distance with a mask on sucks. It's necessary and I follow it, but I can't hear very well. I have to very consciously mind my distance. I do it for the greater good. And I was probably reading lips a lot more than I realized. Bad hearing runs in part of my family. The other part has ridiculously bionic super human hearing. I got the wrong inheritance. One of my sons inherited the bionic hearing. It's freaky.
    Same here, teenage years were spent hanging out at too many punk shows right next to the speakers. Later years I spent a lot of time around helicopters. Now I literally cannot hear jack shit. The mask thing makes it really tough for me without lip reading. My wife OTOH has bionic hearing, make watching tv or listening to music quite fun.

Shaved my beard, got sick of wearing a mask with it.

Not a complaint or comisseration but COVID related. Some good news. Looks like these kids had a fun graduation after all:

Driving into graduation history, Weston-McEwen's senior students claim the night

MILTON-FREEWATER — The first high school in the Walla Walla Valley to honor its seniors in this unparalleled graduation season did so with a bang.

Several bangs, in fact, through a display of fireworks that filled the Thursday night sky above the M-F Drive-In Theater with explosions of color and light.

The beginning of the evening was equally vibrant as 38 of Weston-McEwen High School’s class of 2020 began rolling into the outdoor theater well before the starting time of 8:30 p.m

When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

That's awesome! It's been a while since I've passed that theater, but we'd been wondering lately if it's being put to use. Very cool to see that.

Everything old is new again.
    watch out for snakes

That looks like a lot more fun than a normal graduation. I'm stealing this, but someone said that if your kid is upset about missing graduation, just have them sit in the hot sun wrapped in a shower curtain and then read names out of the phone book for 2 hours.

I skipped my college graduation after the high school one.

Quote Originally Posted by happytimefunbox View Post
    R's mother passed from this plane into the next one yesterday afternoon. Fuck covid19
    https://www.sltrib.com/news/2020/06/...-through-this/

The R in my story is Roger Moody.
    His mother was the most lovely human you could imagine.
    Looks like his dad will make it.
    Their lives will never be the same.
    I don't think anyone's will
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

No raise for me this year and forced to go on a 2 week minimum furlough.

All in all not too bad.

Will grab my dog and backpack mid-week into the mountains, maybe a through hike somewhere . Haven’t backpacked mid week in a long time, looking forward to it.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Mid week is the new weekend.
    watch out for snakes

Fuck. You’re right.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

This is peanuts compared to the loss and suffering of many.

My son isn't missing HS graduation. But his fall is looking awfully indeterminate.

The school is putting us in a shitty situation where they haven't announced what the plan is for academics in the fall and won't do so until June 30th.

Yet the deferment deadline is June 15th.

He really wants to start, but the possibility of online classes is a no -go. College is so much about the face to face time, both with fellow students as well as professors in conferences, lectures, coffee shop and late night library arguments.

Plus I'm not paying for online classes at those rates.

So he has to make a decision based on very little information and a guess about what next year is going to be like. The chances of social distancing working to stop the spread of covid-19 in dormitories is nil.

I'm trying to let him make the decision himself. There are other members of the household who are threatening not to let him go at all.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

I thought college was all about free range fucking.

Zoom mutual masturbation Phone sex can’t be the same.
    . . .

the tennants kid has decided to keep working instead of going on to 1st yr uni or college, just too many questions about everything to do with going away for school, also worried about the covid and distance learning

means they will have lots of money to pay the rent
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

One of my nephews was in his second year of nursing school in Spain. He had to come home; future very uncertain. His Cuban girlfriend (student at the same school) is in Florida, waiting to see what happens.

It really sucks for kids right on the cusp of careers and families.

Coronavirus complaint/commiseration thread.

Quote Originally Posted by BobMc View Post
    Intercity youth have been providing this service for decades, what goes around comes around...
    No new ideas, just recycled ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    This is peanuts compared to the loss and suffering of many.

My son isn't missing HS graduation. But his fall is looking awfully indeterminate.

The school is putting us in a shitty situation where they haven't announced what the plan is for academics in the fall and won't do so until June 30th.

Yet the deferment deadline is June 15th.

He really wants to start, but the possibility of online classes is a no -go. College is so much about the face to face time, both with fellow students as well as professors in conferences, lectures, coffee shop and late night library arguments.

Plus I'm not paying for online classes at those rates.

So he has to make a decision based on very little information and a guess about what next year is going to be like. The chances of social distancing working to stop the spread of covid-19 in dormitories is nil.

I'm trying to let him make the decision himself. There are other members of the household who are threatening not to let him go at all.
    Sorry. What would a gap year look like for him?

A lot of parents and students are totally going to reconsider dropping 40 grand for a year of zoom classes.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Sorry. What would a gap year look like for him?
    He's focused on academics and really wants to start launching into being a physicist. Now.

So he's pretty torqued about it since he doesn't really think about anything else. He had been doing some online MIT projects before schools shut down and loaded up his homework and online classes. It's likely he'll get back to that of some form.

We get along amazingly well here and so there's a good chance he'll just hang out here doing online school. He could go hang out at another house we have, but that's about the only travel option.

If this is how they run the fall school session I guess I will have to home school

. . .

Why are we bothering with the mask thing if half the people won't wear them right. This is just nuts, noses uncovered, mouths barely covered often and then there's the ones that don't even try.

really wants to start launching into being a physicist. Now.
    Albert Einstein... nice man, made a fortune in physics.

Tough situation, good luck Buster.

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    If this is how they run the fall school session I guess I will have to home school

Definitely make your decision based on mommy blogger videos.

The college thing is hard. Mine has decided to go ahead and see what happens. He's going to UVM for mechanical engineering which is 30 minutes away for us. However, there's a four semester on campus requirement which blows. He wants to get on with it, does not really want to spend a year living at home and working at Ace. I've told him to look online for windows IT jobs since he is A+ certified, but most of his level of work would more likely be in person deskside support. So far he hasn't been interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    Albert Einstein... nice man, made a fortune in physics.

Tough situation, good luck Buster.
    Thanks.

Yeah, I'm an idiot but I'm not convinced that the value in life is all bling.

My dad was an accomplished physicist, on the Nobel college. We weren't rich, but he loved what he did and in making a life, what more is there than satisfaction.

Thanks.

Yeah, I'm an idiot but I'm not convinced that the value in life is all bling.

My dad was an accomplished physicist, on the Nobel college. We weren't rich, but he loved what he did and in making a life, what more is there than satisfaction.
    My bad, I was trying to be funny the only way I know how, by quoting Caddyshack