Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Restaraunts are going to be a growth industry in a year. Hopefully
    FIFY

The big question with restaurants will be the ratio of corporate/chain vs independent.

I have friends that own a food truck. I'm worried about them. Same goes for the local pho husband/wife team, and Korean one-woman-show.

Still working. Multi-tasking right now.

Edit to add: Auto retail segment. (Essential service)
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by Hott Butt Mud View Post
    Tread lightly on marketing right now.

I'm getting super pissed at every CEO sending me their COVID-19 "we care about you" bullshit emails and hate the DMs from people on Linkedin telling me about all the free shit they have to offer right now to help businesses during these tumultuous times. Fuck off with that.
    OMG yes.
    Although I ditched LinkedIn. Never really used it and their security sucks. Anyone can apparently just mimic your company, and say they are hiring, in what I assume is an attempt at identity theft. Not that the positions were even in the same industry, so pretty poor attempt. There was no one to contact about this that I could find easily, so I pulled all my stuff down. I think I flagged the classifieds.
    Quote Originally Posted by nutmegchoi View Post
    Job security, man.

Also people do get tired of things easily.
    There’s always new, fresh, next best thing.
    It's stupid.
    Heal up quick! Glad someone is losing weight in this quarantine, lol.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    Fucking bitch ass lawyer. I have plenty to do but can't get it done because I am home with the littles. Litigation is going to slow to a crawl while everyone stays at home, then it will ramp up to warp speed to make up for all the lost time. I mostly sue the gov't and insurance companies and that work will never stop, and the insurance companies will continue to have plenty of money to pay settlements/judgments. We have a pretty good-sized judgment looming against the state that is due to be paid next legislative session in the spring of 2021, hope they cough it up.

My wife does fundraising for a nonprofit and is staying busy, but is also struggling with the WFH situation and our 4- and 6-year-olds.

I love my kids but jesus christ, without them around this would be such a chill time to catch up on reading and get house projects done except that we are now doing full-time childcare. Teachers should be paid more. A lot more. Like 4x as much. Also, the 4-year-old's school stopped charging tuition but we are going to try to keep paying anyways because teachers should definitely not go without pay right now.

edit: good thread
    It's amazing how much alcohol is left in the stores considering they've closed all the bars here and many people must be in your situation with kids all home and not enough for them to do.
    No longer stuck.

Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    FIFY

The big question with restaurants will be the ratio of corporate/chain vs independent.

I have friends that own a food truck. I'm worried about them. Same goes for the local pho husband/wife team, and Korean one-woman-show.
    Yes to this.

The current system of paying waitstaff is broken and ancient. Its need to burn to the ground.

I think this situation can offer an opportunity to change that landscape. I dont have an answer but I sure as hell am thinking about it.

I am a chef, own my own place and also manage 2 catering properties. All of that went to zero overnight. All staff laid off, no income for me. When I rebuild, I want a better system for my cooks and waitstaff.

I really hope when this is done many of the WFH people will stay that way.

Less traffic, less pollution, less consumption.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post

Been talking about this a lot here in SLC with our pollution problems. We could be on the cusp of a cultural change. My company currently has over 4,000 employees and something like 1,000 of them could be at least partially WFH. We are running out of room for parking, building a new building, but haven't been seriously looking at getting people offsite, until now.

It's amazing how much alcohol is left in the stores considering they've closed all the bars here and many people must be in your situation with kids all home and not enough for them to do.
    The booze in bars comes from the state liquor stores (Grizzly, KrisCo, Lolo Liquor are the only ones local) which, in turn, comes from the state's liquor warehouse in Helena. The liquor warehouse has at least $12 million worth of liquor at any one time. The system is dumb as hell but Montana is NOT running out of liquor any time soon.

Agree. Car commuting to literally sit in front of a computer by yourself is bullshit.

I'm actually surprised how many WFH ppl are still here. The media portrayed the trend as being in decline.

I’m 4 days WFH now, 1 office day.

When this is over I’m going to request at least 2 WFH days going forward.

I've been commuting like it's 1999.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    Agree. Car commuting to literally sit in front of a computer by yourself is bullshit.

I'm actually surprised how many WFH ppl are still here. The media portrayed the trend as being in decline.
    Yeah - for people that want/like/are decent at working from home, the prospect of returning to an office (with associated commute time and all that shit) is HORRIFIC. I'm sure I *could* do it again, but I sure as hell would fight NOT to ever do it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    I've been commuting like it's 1999.
    I was in the U District yesterday and almost took a pic of I-5 on my way home at 4:30pm, there were periods of a few seconds with zero cars on the road, all pavement.

I hate working from home, but my office is only a six-minute drive. And that's with traffic.

Took my dog to the vet today and had them come outside to get him. Sat in my car on a conference call from work talking about the upcoming junkshow/layoffs in our badly wounded industry. Several other people at the vet did the same thing I did but some people just went inside because the office is still open to the public. I think those people are crazy, and why is the office still open? I'd hate to be counter help in there.

Quote Originally Posted by nutmegchoi View Post
    Sorry, Austin.
    But Texas is a great place to be in times like this.
    Hang in there.
    Thanks. You're right. That's the one thing I have going for me. When things (eventually) rebound, I'm confident we'll be in one of the best places for that since there's such a variety of industries here.

I’m a baker and business is booming. People got to eat. Was recreating in Utah and came home to wtf happened. Glad I got to finish out season but worried for all the service folk I used to serve.

I love my kids but jesus christ, without them around this would be such a chill time to catch up on reading and get house projects done except that we are now doing full-time childcare. Teachers should be paid more. A lot more. Like 4x as much. Also, the 4-year-old's school stopped charging tuition but we are going to try to keep paying anyways because teachers should definitely not go without pay right now.
    Hahaha. Seriously. People w/o kids have NO clue how much crazier things are for us. Normally, weeks are chock full of outings, pre-K, play dates, etc. Now that they're forced to stay home without seeing other kids they're going freaking bonkers, which is driving me nuts. I WISH I could be chillin' at home binging Netflix and such!

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    I manage a D2C technical hunting apparel brand. Because we are D2C, we barely had to do anything I frastructure-wise to WFH. Our warehouse is in SLC, however, and we're worried for those folks. Sales have slowed but we're still way up over last year, so I guess we're an anomolly at retail.

A Message from Ernie Herrman, CEO and President of The TJX Companies, Inc

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    Hahaha. Seriously. People w/o kids have NO clue how much crazier things are for us. Normally, weeks are chock full of outings, pre-K, play dates, etc. Now that they're forced to stay home without seeing other kids they're going freaking bonkers, which is driving me nuts. I WISH I could be chillin' at home binging Netflix and such!
    Somehow my kid’s daycare reopened.

I sent her.

Worth the risk.

Working.

Work in Financial Services. I’ve been WFH for 6 years at least. I Manage a team of relationship managers. I’d go to the office once a week or as needed. Have not been in since late February.
    Sent my entire team home 2 weeks ago, some were already 100% WFH.

Company mandate last Monday that everyone is WFH until further notice.

Wife and 2 kids are home now too.

Happy hour has been starting earlier and earlier as of late.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Impressive.

I'm still working. We are a wholesaler with about 5% retail sales. Retail is closed and wholesale is pick-up at the curb or delivery only. NH is not in a 'shelter in place", but even if we were we are considered essential. Business has been surprisingly strong this week, but we have no doubt that it is going to drop next month and more significantly the following month. We'll be making pay cuts just like in '08. Layoffs and furloughs have already begun, but in all honesty, those were mostly cuts that should have been made prior, but we needed anyone with a pulse for the past several years.

Quote Originally Posted by HD333 View Post
    Happy hour has been starting earlier and earlier as of late.
    Ditto. Glad they're at least keeping the liquor stores open or I think we'd be hearing about much worse than the coronavirus in the news every day.

I’m 4 days WFH now, 1 office day.

When this is over I’m going to request at least 2 WFH days going forward.

Ask for 3, settle for 2.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

I hate working from home, but my office is only a six-minute drive. And that's with traffic.
    Home->office for me is a usually 15-20 minute bike ride that I enjoy immensely. WFH cannot be over soon enough. If I had to suffer through a real commute I'd probably feel differently.