Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Stainless View Post
    Absolutely. Everything will slow down.

I'm going to start buying in about a month.
    what are you going to buy but also what will be a winner or loser ... what will be the state of the car bidness

I had never heard of a dawn either but goggle is always yer friend ... convertible rolls
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    I don’t even know what a “Dawn” is...
    gas guzzling pos for the showee 1%ers

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Stainless View Post
    Absolutely. Everything will slow down.

I'm going to start buying in about a month.
    Gracias.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by rockcreek View Post
    Emergency department RN. Just finished my 6th 12hr shift in as many days. Live in AK. I may have a Golden Horseshoe stuck up my ass. Tomorrow I start paternity leave for 3 months(paid) that was planned back in November.

Work has been steady with a significant increase in psychiatric emergencies and OD’s, but the daily census is about 20% lower than usual in the last 10 days. With the order to shelter in place from governor and general consensus to avoid hospitals at all cost, a lot of the walking well aren’t making their way into emergistan as they normally would.

We have 42 cases of covid as of today in all of AK, with a large majority related to travel.

In the last two days I have taken care of a smattering (12 or so) of febrile respiratory illness in young and elderly alike, but our tests are slow to turnaround. My director is suppose to reach out if we have direct contact with a covid + pt. I have yet to get a phone call.
    Right there with you. I keep a bedside job in a fast paced ED in downtown SF. I have a management gig that occupies me during the week down on the peninsula in a pretty fast paced ED. Last Friday was straight up appocolypse now in the city. Took care of three, one was intubated by a bunch of people in hoods. Trying to send the family down to Central America before I infect them all!!

Well, apparently building windows in Minnesota is an essential business. I'm still working so you can buy windows at Home Depot to install while you are sheltering in place. I probably jinxed myself now....

Thanks to all of you who are doing the really essential work!

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Tell me, do you think normal car sales (not your current market) taking a short term dive in the next few months? Looking to buy a Jetta diesel wagon, used. Prices were attractive pre Corona, just wondering what an industry man says? Will I get a better deal in a month? 2 months?

Thanks.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app
    Start coughing on the test drive

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Home->office for me is a usually 15-20 minute bike ride that I enjoy immensely. WFH cannot be over soon enough. If I had to suffer through a real commute I'd probably feel differently.
    ditto for me. I miss my daily bike ride. This WFH is growing on me though, but part of that is likely because work is slowing down too, so the technological inefficiency isn't bugging me as much.

Quote Originally Posted by mitanokaseifu View Post
    Turns out CPA services are exempt in California. Our office is cranking away tax returns still. Luckily, I'm working from home. I'm pretty sure those working in the office are going to come down with it. I'm even creeping in and out of the office with a freaking cold and they don't care. They fully trust my diagnosis is 100% correct.
    what's the rush--deadlines pushed to July 15 right?

we got our federal refund already...just waiting on state

NH is going to shelter in place tomorrow at midnight.

A much larger peer company to ours just took some drastic measures.
    Hourly and salary < 100k receive a flat check of $500 per pay period. Unclear on that, but would assume 2 weeks.
    <150k - $300
    >150k - $0
    All health insurance is covered 100% for all employees currently on their plan.
    Not sure how that is going to work out.

Been WFH full-time for almost two weeks. The only thing preventing me from WFH previously was my direct colleague that lives a 5 min bike ride from the office, and couldn't wrap his head around virtual meetings. His first Zoom meeting after prescribed GTFO, and his mind was blown, now he's all in.

I don't mind the office. The MTBing is better in town, and I like being around colleagues. When (if?) this passes, I'll probably switch to an alternating home/office schedule. It's about a 20 minute commute, which is nice to skip, but free shuttle service started back in November and I've been enjoying zoning out and working or watching TV on my way in.

Vibes to those who are out of work. Stress is high enough, I truly wish you all the best.

We've found some fantastic local resources that we're donating to. That's where my Trump check will go as well. We may just have to crowdsource our way out of this thing.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Who's still working?

Not contractors in WA anymore, unless it's for critical infrastructure...
    https://www.constructiondive.com/new...torium/574925/

I just heard from some folks we work with across the river...they were told to shut it down or a $1k fine

Quote Originally Posted by teleee View Post
    So fucking much this! I have received over 40 meeting requests form the corporate office monkeys in the last 3 days who are just trying to justify their online existence. Meanwhile I am tying to keep 20 some bridge projects up and running. Fuck off has pretty much been my general response.
    I'm pretty much getting paid to update the latest updates to our parent company. Forget that I have an actual business to run... it's wild.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Checking in as still working. I work from home mostly anyway. My companies operation is still running so the cash flow is still coming in to keep us paid. But constraints are closing in on us. Notably supply chain and domestic flights. I’m considering each pay check my last, until we return to normal.

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    Who's still working?

Not contractors in WA anymore, unless it's for critical infrastructure...
    https://www.constructiondive.com/new...torium/574925/

I just heard from some folks we work with across the river...they were told to shut it down or a $1k fine
    Amazingly, there is still a lot of building going on. We're a commercial roofing sub-contractor and the two jobs coming up next week are still a go. One is for an addition to an elementary school. Each district has the capacity to determine what's 'essential' and this project was declared essential. Therefore, we'll have a crew there Monday at 7:00 to receive materials and commence work. The other project is also receiving materials on Monday and it's full-on under construction. In that case, the owner has a contract with the DOD and this building is required to fulfill the contract so, DOD trumps the State and we're full-on.

We have a hotel project that's supposed to start in about 5 weeks so that may get nixed for now. They're way behind schedule, anyway so it was likely going to slip, regardless. Still lots of bidding going on and repair work is ongoing so, we've not really slowed down. In fact, we're mostly ramping up and looking for roofers as we have a very large backlog for later in the year.

ETA: I was somewhat amazed that the pot and liquor stores were exempted to the shut down of commercial business but then I realized that they're a significant tax resource to the State. No way does the State want to cut off a lucrative tax base like that!

Quote Originally Posted by teleee View Post
    Fuck off has pretty much been my general response.
    I have to be more subtle, or try to be. These teams meetings are tough, because on a normal conf. call I am giving them the double birds or the Sicilian salute, or just aggressively rolling my eyes. I rolled my eyes during one of the teams meetings. Hope it went unnoticed. My boss insists the camera be on. We are pretty sure he is taking notes about those wearing t shirts, typing during the meeting, etc. He is a true nano manager. Exhausting for someone who just wants to get shit done.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    Amazingly, there is still a lot of building going on.
    I have a couple projects that just got fast tracked. They are at resorts that are sitting empty now. These were originally summer projects, since it is hot as balls here, and hardly anyone besides locals stay in the resorts.
    I am amazed that Disney and Universal don't have construction out there 24/7 right now. Working those projects around tourists must be a nightmare. With everyone gone, for the first time in forever, they could put their equipment wherever they want and have at it. Maybe they have opened it back up, but early on, the places were ghost towns.
    We had a hotel project break ground early in Tampa on Monday. They had their run of the streets and probably got the site prep done 2 weeks ahead of schedule because they weren't in anyone's way.
    It is truly amazing the amount of work that is getting hammered out here right now. It may end soon, but the county Tampa ia in only has 164. My county only has 64. The others around us drop off bigly. Broward and Dade are a mess due to international travel and New Yorkers. Hoping we stay low on the numbers now that everyone is home.

I see the freeway construction guys still out every day as I am still driving to work and back. these guys are not filling potholes, they are expanding the freeway. not sure why that couldn't wait for things to clear up. freeway construction completion is never on time.
    TGR forums cannot handle SkiCougar !

Quote Originally Posted by SkiCougar View Post
    I see the freeway construction guys still out every day as I am still driving to work and back. these guys are not filling potholes, they are expanding the freeway. not sure why that couldn't wait for things to clear up. freeway construction completion is never on time.
    It’s pretty advantageous for them to work now when traffic is lower plus they are literally in the definition of critical infrastructure...

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

We’re just getting ramped up to get killed in the hospital. Been a quiet couple weeks w only urgent surgeries.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Classic Skoug. Nope, no benefits that I can see to pushing ahead with major freeway construction when traffic volume is way, way down. No clearly discernible benefits whatsoever, especially in light of warthog's post immediately above.

edit: damn it, nick beat me to it, albeit without the sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    Amazingly, there is still a lot of building going on. We're a commercial roofing sub-contractor and the two jobs coming up next week are still a go. One is for an addition to an elementary school. Each district has the capacity to determine what's 'essential' and this project was declared essential. Therefore, we'll have a crew there Monday at 7:00 to receive materials and commence work. The other project is also receiving materials on Monday and it's full-on under construction. In that case, the owner has a contract with the DOD and this building is required to fulfill the contract so, DOD trumps the State and we're full-on.

We have a hotel project that's supposed to start in about 5 weeks so that may get nixed for now. They're way behind schedule, anyway so it was likely going to slip, regardless. Still lots of bidding going on and repair work is ongoing so, we've not really slowed down. In fact, we're mostly ramping up and looking for roofers as we have a very large backlog for later in the year.

ETA: I was somewhat amazed that the pot and liquor stores were exempted to the shut down of commercial business but then I realized that they're a significant tax resource to the State. No way does the State want to cut off a lucrative tax base like that!
    Are these ID or WA? The Idaho order states commercial and public works as essential but residential is non-essential. I don't get why commercial gets a by...I would get it if the projects were for essential services but no stipulation there. Blaine County (Sun Valley area), just halted all construction unless emergency such as water mains and sewer from all the kahle and kleenex flushings.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    NH is going to shelter in place tomorrow at midnight.

A much larger peer company to ours just took some drastic measures.
    Hourly and salary < 100k receive a flat check of $500 per pay period. Unclear on that, but would assume 2 weeks.
    <150k - $300
    >150k - $0
    All health insurance is covered 100% for all employees currently on their plan.
    Not sure how that is going to work out.
    That's fucked. I guess better than not getting paid at all. You know there are going to be a lot of people in the >150k group that don't live within their means, wonder how that works out.

Construction still going in MT. I think some bigger commercial projects in the bigger cities have been shut down. I'm still building a log house but it's just me and a buddy onsite and it's a little bit out the way.

Edit: and Gov just announced stay at home order. Construction is still considered essential for now
    Last edited by lifelinksplit; 03-26-2020 at 05:03 PM.