Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

People are nervous and edgy and stressed. My entire day today was soft management stuff. I don’t think I actually got anything done that wasn’t some form of validation or soothing or mediating. It’s uniquely exhausting, especially for somebody who tends to be a bit of a caustic asshole.
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    People are nervous and edgy and stressed. My entire day today was soft management stuff. I don’t think I actually got anything done that wasn’t some form of validation or soothing or mediating. It’s uniquely exhausting, especially for somebody who tends to be a bit of a caustic asshole.
    You soothed me because now I know I'm not alone.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mike View Post
    what's the rush--deadlines pushed to July 15 right?
    Correct, deadline has been pushed out. I still have a shit ton of returns to do. Just not working on weekends or pulling 60 hour weeks anymore. Accounting really is a stable ass career.

Who's still working?

Quote Originally Posted by GSinister View Post
    Thanks to all of you who are doing the really essential work!
    You’re welcome. I work at a gold mine. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by xyz View Post
    You’re welcome. I work at a gold mine. :-)
    My ex works at a copper mine. They just ceased operations today.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Highway maintenance/snow removal. Essential service atm to keep goods and services flowing until the last avy shoot. 3 more weeks. Hasnt been a ton of snow lately so just doing laps scouting lines to ski and kicking off the odd rocks or snowbslls that hit the road. With the good vis and ez pace lately is been good scouting but beyond painful knowing its all closed now. Its a long ways to the alpine in the spring without the highway access to my 20ish new possibilities

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    My ex works at a copper mine. They just ceased operations today.
    It’s happening for sure. The supply chain is our crux. I’m surprised we are still going. But somebody needs to pay some taxes.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    The booze in bars comes from the state liquor stores (Grizzly, KrisCo, Lolo Liquor are the only ones local) which, in turn, comes from the state's liquor warehouse in Helena. The liquor warehouse has at least $12 million worth of liquor at any one time. The system is dumb as hell but Montana is NOT running out of liquor any time soon.
    Interesting.
    Was also thinking beer and wine at the grocery store.

Hopefully this wakes bosses and companies and everyone else up to how many people reeeeeeally don't need to be driving into work or flying/driving to meetings, etc.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by xyz View Post
    It’s happening for sure. The supply chain is our crux. I’m surprised we are still going. But somebody needs to pay some taxes.
    I'm hoping, if anything, that comes out of this is we see these weaknesses. Kind of like a learning lesson. 10 steps, whatever. We come out of this stronger for the next one,.which is coming. #history

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

Wifey is a CPA, she is busy as hell. She probably got ten panicked calls by noon demanding answers on the new tax Regs, tax implications of stimulus money, tax implications of unemployment (for both workers and companies), and general financial and investment advice...which she doesn’t actually do. Probably thirty calls all day...when the hell would she have had time to read the bill (that came out this morning, 1200 pages) between all of the calls?
    (And the fact that it hasn’t actually passed yet)
    Last edited by rideit; 03-26-2020 at 10:29 PM.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    Are these ID or WA? The Idaho order states commercial and public works as essential but residential is non-essential. I don't get why commercial gets a by...I would get it if the projects were for essential services but no stipulation there. Blaine County (Sun Valley area), just halted all construction unless emergency such as water mains and sewer from all the kahle and kleenex flushings.
    Mostly WA but we have one in CdA starting in a couple weeks that's for the WWTP, essential infrastructure. Residential is shut down but we don't do residential anyway.

Really sorry to hear about all of the folks losing their jobs. I hope this passes quickly before too much damage is done. NMChoi so sorry to hear that you got it. Glad you are doing ok. I own a lawn mowing company and we do lots of HOA's, apartments, and a few hundred residential clients. We did not get mentioned in the exemption here in Washington state but we fall under the umbrella of essential home services ( at least so far) .Been running all of our trucks with a single worker working longer shifts and instructed clients to call the office and not talk to the worker on their property. If we get shut down and the grass goes for months the grass will be waist tall with spring in the NW. One of my friends owns a large furniture store and sales dried up 3 weeks ago and he is really freaked out now that the shutdown is here.
    License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations

I've been doing computer graphics at an office with hundreds of other people for years now. We've never really had a strong work-from-home (WFH) culture or infrastructure, but that changed real quick several weeks ago. It took a while to get the kinks worked out, and for everyone to get used to it; but now I think I work about as efficiently as when I was physically there for most things. We actually have a shitload of work to do right now, and I can spend my 1 hour RT commute time either working, or at home doing what I want, which is way better. The flexibility of being able to start/stop work is definitely a better fit for the nature of the work as well. If I have to wait 30 minutes for a computer to do something, I can do the dishes or go for a jog or whatever and not waste that time. I'll definitely be pushing for WFH in the future. 2-3 days a week would work well I think. Honestly it's not just the commuting time but the stress/hassle/unpredictability of traffic that I am glad to miss. Some days I bike to work and I really enjoy it, but at over 2 hours RT it's just too long to do more than a few days per week.

I'm feeling incredibly lucky to have a job that I can still do and am so worried about all the struggle that so many are going through and are about to go through. I hope that we can find a way to prop up so many that have been affected by this until things can get going again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    Welcome to working in Manhattan right after 9/11.

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    I’m a construction superintendent. My current project is at major international airport in one of the US cities most hit by this thing. Our project is considered “strategic infrastructure” so we are still up and running.

Myself and a few other lead supers are onsite full time. The rest of our staff is 50% onsite 50% at home; or at home full time.

Our skilled labor force is down from like 550 to like 385, dropping more and more every day. Mostly people self quarantining and staying home for childcare.

It’s crazy walking into the hornets nest every day; an airport that normally sees 50,000 passengers a day.... but in the last week or so it might have become one of the safest places to be; It’s empty.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Update to my situation.

We had a few tradesmen test positive the other week. We shut down the site for a few days, had a disinfection company come through and fog the areas / wipe down site.

We are back up in running. All of us are now on a 50:50 schedule. Labor is now working 4-10s to give the site 3 days to disinfect itself. We have full time labor just disinfecting everything. We had our plumbers build a bunch of hand wash stations. Manpower is way down. Under 100, was 550ish preCovid.

At first it was like why do we keep jumping through hoops to keep this job running. We are considered “essential” but it’s not like we are building a firehouse or repairing a bridge. Then I see some close friends loose their jobs this past week and my paycheck came on Friday.....

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

I was able to eke out a couple of hundred bucks for March but this month I'll be lucky to see $250, probably more like $100. When your income is 100% commission based and you can't get out to work what happens? Yeah I'm fucked.

Windows, rdp, HyperV VM Linux, vpns, proprietary OS's, games, graphics, tcp, memory managers
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Highway maintenance/snow removal. Essential service atm to keep goods and services flowing until the last avy shoot. 3 more weeks. Hasnt been a ton of snow lately so just doing laps scouting lines to ski and kicking off the odd rocks or snowbslls that hit the road. With the good vis and ez pace lately is been good scouting but beyond painful knowing its all closed now. Its a long ways to the alpine in the spring without the highway access to my 20ish new possibilities

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app
    Had no idea, which system? PM if you don't want to reply here.

I was declared essential and construction in Montana rolls on. I sent my clients an e-mail yesterday saying I would not enter any close spaces or offices without checking 1st and all contacts would be by cell/text/e-mail and that I would maintain my current schedule of bi-weekly site visits for as long as I can.

Most everything I am working on is non-essential IMHO.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

I've been sitting in my basement engineering for the last 6 months, I haven't noticed a slowdown at all but I can see a lot of people reigning in their future plans real soon. Slowdowns typically take 3 months to trickle down to the engineering level. Right about then government spending starts making it to engineering. 3 months later people have had a look around and decided it's a good time to build but they don't have any plans so engineers get buried.

I'm also working in a bike shop part time. Bicycle repair is considered an essential service.

Mine too. She is the Director of Finance at The Kimball Art Center which is a non-profit in Park City. Although, the Kimball has been closed for 3 weeks, or so, she still manages to work as much, if not more, than when it was open. Right now, they are temporarily transitioning into on-line art classes thru Zoom. If anyone is interested (adults and kids) it is on its website and called Creative Quarantine. It is a great way to keep your kids/yourself busy, while appreciating art. The big questions for the art center right now are whether and how the gala, the Arts Festival and other fund raisers will occur this summer.
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Wifey is a CPA, she is busy as hell. She probably got ten panicked calls by noon demanding answers on the new tax Regs, tax implications of stimulus money, tax implications of unemployment (for both workers and companies), and general financial and investment advice...which she doesn’t actually do. Probably thirty calls all day...when the hell would she have had time to read the bill (that came out this morning, 1200 pages) between all of the calls?
    (And the fact that it hasn’t actually passed yet)
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

I'm still working at doing nothing all day.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

^^^ Pace yourself
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    I'm still working at doing nothing all day.
    This type of work is supposed to be harder than it sounds...

It is. I try to push myself to have breakfast before noon.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.