Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    IT Monkey - *nix; SAN; fortigate; etc - been home for a couple weeks - was remote +/-1 day before anyway.

2 kiddos (12,13) home from school - at least thru April 20 - now saying probably wont be going back till fall....

New Yorker here, so at currently at ground zero on this one...

Lucky enough to work for myself, and live and work in the same building (I work as a private sculpture restorer and conservator for the museums+auction houses + art galleries). I was grateful to have a few jobs in my studio so I could isolate in my shop and keep productive, but all my projects and proposals out for approval have been put on hold since my field and all clients and auxiliary services (galleries/shippers/museums) have been shut down indefinitely.

Future is looking uncertain for me, maybe when this is all over I'll find a nice museum out west and plan spend more time on the hill than in the concrete jungle. This certainly has me rethinking how I want to spend my days going forward. Be well everyone.

Got let go the day the oil market crashed a couple Mondays ago. A full one week after I started that brand new gig. Dammit...

Honestly these last 7 or 8 years have been rough for me. Last 3 years have been BRUTAL. Now the whole world has joined me in the same sinking boat I've been in for years, so at least now have friends along for the ride! Welcome aboard, mateys!

Air traffic controller here. We are deemed essential, so still working. Traffic is WAY down obviously, but still moving a fair amount of air carrier and cargo ops. Rumor is the airline are going to really shut things down first of April. We’ll see I guess.

Own Land Cruiser service & restoration shop. Yes have been working, plenty of longer term projects in the shop. Not much in the way of new work coming in at the moment, and bigger projects have been cancelled.

Downsized staff and are running lean. Working on developing the e-commerce side of the business and doing some outreach to some different markets. We will survive I'm sure.

Just posted in the main thread but our company just notified us that all employees will get a 50% furlough. Scared that some (like me) will get axed completely.

Work for one of the major tech companies doing business development. I have a few major projects going on that I'm trying to wrap up by the end of the quarter, so I am as busy as ever. I have been on forced WFH for 3 weeks, but I usually worked at home 1-2 days a week previously, so not a huge deal. I think most of my coworkers are realizing how much they could do from home given the chance. Usually travel a decent amount for work, but that got shut down early February. My wife doesn't work outside the home, so she's the one dealing with the kids. Hardest thing is keeping the kids doing something productive and not spending all day playing video games.

I knew I was fortunate for the job I had before this, but it has reinforced how lucky I am to be in the line of work I am. I had been thinking of changing jobs, but that will get put on the back burner until this shakes out.

Wife and I are in the service industry in Michigan. She filed for unemployment for the first time in her life a few days ago. I’m in a management position and still getting paid..

IT manager for a municipal utility (water/wastewater). I do SCADA/CMMS/GIS, not the business network.

I called in sick the last three days of last week. I have a 78 yo dad with emphysema who just had back surgery. No fucking way I was going to be compromised by working at a shit plant being his sole support. I still worked some on those days from home. The city finally made the call late Friday for WFH. First time I've done it and I think it's great. Instead of all the drop in bullshitters killing my time, I get little chores done and still feel productive. We're using Microsoft Teams for meetings and that's working pretty well.

I have a 21 yo college student watching an online class in bed as I type this. It's a strange new world.

state employee here, lucky enough to be able to work from home,,,,,,public school system here needs to step up with lesson plans for the kids. our district had nothing in place for the kids....supposed legal issues with special education students. private schools here at this point have been doing a much better job of keeping the kids busy with schoolwork.

My daughter (32yrs old) was a general mgr of a fine dining restaurant and is now on unemployment. How do I persuade her to go back to school and get into a different profession is what I always wonder?
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Who's still working?

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    Got let go the day the oil market crashed a couple Mondays ago. A full one week after I started that brand new gig. Dammit...

Honestly these last 7 or 8 years have been rough for me. Last 3 years have been BRUTAL. Now the whole world has joined me in the same sinking boat I've been in for years, so at least now have friends along for the ride! Welcome aboard, mateys!
    I went through that from 2006-2013, plus a divorce etc. I had a perfect resume, impeccable reputation as a trader, but the mkt was flooded with the same skill set. I learnt the lesson as hard as anyone. I was forced to work for myself, and glad I did. I don’t particularly like my job, and I am qualified to do a lot more, but with nearly 1000 insurance clients, one firing no longer effects me.

Funny thing is, last yr a gigantic hedge fund interviewed me and they had no question about my qualifications, but questioned the gap in my resume.
    ?

I will never work for idiots again, I’d rather make coffee, or walk dogs for a living, and I chuckle to think how much money that hedge fund has lost this month. It’s in the billions.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    <snip>
    And full time internet forum poster.
    Gotta maintain sanity somehow...

Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este View Post
    questioned the gap in my resume.
    Best hire I ever made was a woman with a 5 yr gap in her resume for child care. HR only forwarded her because our base pay was lower than the market and we were desperate for candidates. She’s a star in engineering now.

I just got denied entry to the building where I was supposed to pick up a WFH laptop due to having been in a high-risk country (according to CDC guidelines).

For the last week in Switzerland, we were in a pretty remote spot, where the cog trains only run a 20+ mile section. If it hadn't been for wanting to be with my family, I would have stayed. It was about a good a spot to ride this out as any.

They're now arranging for fed-ex to drop it off at my house. More lost hours.

Nordekette, who joined the EuroBBI2020, posited that we all had it already in Klosters, since of few people had dry coughs for a couple of days. Who knows, I hope that's true, but until I can get an antibody test, it's unclear.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Electrical engineer, work from home so it hasn't affected me other than deadlines are all pushed.
    I also work in an E Bike shop, I recently decided to stop going. My wife is in gov't and has to keep working, with me not at the bike shop I figure that's one less chance for her to get this shit.
    You are what you eat.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    There's no such thing as bad snow, just shitty skiers.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post

Sorry, Austin.
    But Texas is a great place to be in times like this.
    Hang in there.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    My daughter (32yrs old) was a general mgr of a fine dining restaurant and is now on unemployment. How do I persuade her to go back to school and get into a different profession is what I always wonder?
    Restaraunts are going to be a growth industry in a year. Seriously.

In restaurant food distribution. Business is completely fucked overnight. They are trying to sign a deal to loan trucks, drivers, and forklifts to keep them moving in the grocery industry.

Not laid off yet...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

developer, medical industry.

working 7 days a week, on call 24/7, coming in daily, all vacations were cancelled 2 weeks ago; all over something that will be a worst a flu that keeps people home for maybe a week for over 80%; brilliant.
    TGR forums cannot handle SkiCougar !

Who's still working?

I’m a photographer and strategy consultant. All of my shoots have pretty much dried up, but my consulting clients have stuck around so far. I’m WFH when not on location do no change for me other than canceling travel plans.

My wife sells wakeboard and waterski boats and she’s been as busy as ever. She’s WFH as much as possible and by appointment only otherwise. If the economy gets much worse her line of work could take a big hit.

I work in financial services, considered essential. While I have broad organizational scope, most of my direct responsibilities are operational departments and lend themselves pretty well to remote work. I’m still coming in to the office 2 of 5 days, trading off with the CEO, who will work from home when I’m there. This whole thing has made us rapidly mature remote processes, which is a sliver lining.

The bottom line is going to be impacted a little bit, but we’ll be fine. It’s possible some of our part time staff get cut back....
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiCougar View Post
    a flu that keeps people home for maybe a week for over 80%; brilliant.
    Short sighted. What happens next winter without containment?

Quote Originally Posted by Tap View Post
    Sales and marketing guy at a cannabis brewery. We make infused ginger beer, mandarin lime soda, and super tasty tinctures from 2.5 to 1000mg. Staying busy locally and with oversight work but without travel around Oregon, it’s a bit slower. I’ll take it. Grateful cannabis is considered an essential business and our distributor has 8 salespeople across the state keeping shops stocked.
    Nice, I had some of your delicious beverages at the Volcanic Room a few years back while seeing DeadPhish Orchestra. That, or you gave our friend Brooke some and she gave it to us. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by SkiCougar View Post
    developer, medical industry.

working 7 days a week, on call 24/7, coming in daily, all vacations were cancelled 2 weeks ago; all over something that will be a worst a flu that keeps people home for maybe a week for over 80%; brilliant.
    would you rather be unemployed?