Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    What is it about every app getting a new design every quarter, is that how you people justify your continued existence?

Yeah, I call UI designers "you people." Fight me.
    Job security, man.

Also people do get tired of things easily.
    There’s always new, fresh, next best thing.

Who's still working?

I’m a high school teacher. Schools closed suddenly last Monday. The state and the district have been making up how to teach remotely day by day. It’s a mess and it’s all being made up on the fly. There was never a plan for this.

Then there’s the logistics of feeding kids, providing day care for essential workers at schools and other services we’re providing per the governor. Everyone is pulling together, tons of volunteers too.

They’re not saying anything yet but we won’t be back until late August.

Still grateful that I’ve got a job and am hopefully contributing.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Last edited by HankScorpio; 03-24-2020 at 06:38 PM.

Ski tech at a heliski op. The season was cut short and I've lost a lot of earnings. Silver lining to grey cloud in my case though; the way the schedule was arranged, I missed working during the last crucial weeks where risk of contamination from incoming international guests was much higher. I count my blessings and really feel for any coworkers and general industry compadres who might have been exposed.
    Master of mediocrity.

Fucking bitch ass lawyer. I have plenty to do but can't get it done because I am home with the littles. Litigation is going to slow to a crawl while everyone stays at home, then it will ramp up to warp speed to make up for all the lost time. I mostly sue the gov't and insurance companies and that work will never stop, and the insurance companies will continue to have plenty of money to pay settlements/judgments. We have a pretty good-sized judgment looming against the state that is due to be paid next legislative session in the spring of 2021, hope they cough it up.

My wife does fundraising for a nonprofit and is staying busy, but is also struggling with the WFH situation and our 4- and 6-year-olds.

I love my kids but jesus christ, without them around this would be such a chill time to catch up on reading and get house projects done except that we are now doing full-time childcare. Teachers should be paid more. A lot more. Like 4x as much. Also, the 4-year-old's school stopped charging tuition but we are going to try to keep paying anyways because teachers should definitely not go without pay right now.

edit: good thread

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    I mostly sue the gov't and insurance companies and that work will never stop, and the insurance companies will continue to have plenty of money to pay settlements/judgments.
    Curious - what do you see (as of now) that could be on the horizon regarding class-action suits, or individual litigation, as it relates to our current situation?

Quote Originally Posted by Hott Butt Mud View Post
    Tread lightly on marketing right now.

Agreed. I've got one client who offers an expert system on dealing with mental health and anxiety. They have a COVID module released for free. I used it because I'm frankly terrified for my parents and it works well. But they're treading very lightly on even giving it away.

Quote Originally Posted by Hott Butt Mud View Post
    Curious - what do you see (as of now) that could be on the horizon regarding class-action suits, or individual litigation, as it relates to our current situation?
    Good question.

I haven't really thought about it--or had time to--but honestly, I don't immediately see a whole lot related to the current situation that will lead to meritorious class actions or anything else super interesting. Except maybe landlord/tenant shit which is the absolute worst.

But, then again, I hear the bankruptcy bar is extremely worried about erections that might last over 4 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by highangle View Post
    Public company? Want me to buy some shares for you?
    Who am I to say no

https://www.biomerieux.com/en/biomer...-covid-19-test
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

Sales guy at a Boyne resort. We’re deemed essential employees so WFH now. Reevaluate May 1st at this point.

We always have to take two weeks of layoff between end of ski season and end October but we’re all taking it before May 1st and staggering schedules so we have coverage. Hopefully get some work done on my van interior during my layoff. It’ll be mud season around here.

Before this gig I’ve been a WFH rep for almost 20 years so no biggie for me.

Gotta say, a Boyne resort has been a good place to work. I’m 55 and have seen the good and bad of employers, I’m in the good zone these days.

The wife and I are RN Case Managers in two different local hospitals. We both work out of their ERs.

It is amazing how there has been a dramatic drop in census as people have heeded the warnings to an extent, a lot less people using the ER as a physician's office. She is in a level 1 trauma center and in the neighboring state - they have a huge influx of Rule out cases - about 40 as of yesterday with a mix of ages from 20s to 70s.

My place is a smaller local facility that is part of 3 facilities in a 30 mile stretch. We (my place) is seeing 5-6 rule outs every day. About the same numbers at our other two facilities. We have had 2 deaths

Very unlikely we will need to worry about work but crazier things have happened. Kids are home and managing not to wreck each other which is greatly appreciated, but my daughter is super bummed there might not be a softball season this year.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    Why don't you go practice fallin' down? I'll be there in a minute.

Government lackey in natural resources sector here, in a small town sub-office. Most of the office is WFH, about half my team is still in the office and/or out in the field. Trying to keep the lights on so local contractors and industry can keep their operations going, local economy rolling; also it's fiscal year end and the govt accountants take no prisoners.
    Can't really work from home as we don't have a spare room to set up an office, and a rambunctious kidlet running wild. My wife is a nurse at the local hospital, both in long-term/palliative, and the emergency/acute care wards. Currently she is only a .48FTE, but is picking up shifts as the demand increases. And her phone rings every day for shifts. I have leave banks and sick time to apply to childcare or quarantine if either is needed to support the family and community, so we consider ourselves fortunate regarding the paycheques. Travel trailer is ready for quarantine ops; thankfully the temps are such that water systems freezing in the trailer should be low risk now.
    Also busy with the local SAR, both in training and operations. We are preparing for possible govt mandates to support the community if shit goes Wuhan style, and potential increase in front & backcountry rec as people get out to relieve their boredom.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    I'm an engineer and have been working at home now since 3/6. Gotta say the VPN is working quite well from my house. Haven't had any problems.
    Almost mandatory for my guys since my girl's daughters both decided a tiny little fishing village at the end of 100 miles of empty road has a lot more appeal in a pandemic. They've taken over.
    Eldest makes "Manhattan money" as an actuary for a transnational insurance company while she finishes her last semester of undergrad, and has budget for an assistant, so...her sister is now an assistant actuary for a major European transnational insurance company while she finishes her sophomore year and we have coffee after a run in the mornings sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Technology lawyer. Was quite part time. But my client's "normal" lawyers (ie corporate/general etc) are having a harder time adjusting to working remotely than expected because there's so much dependence on support staff. So I'm filling in for a lot of people. Fielding quite a lot of contracts, employment, general, corporate, securities queries.

Lots of emergency type situations too - as can be expected. Evacuating personnel from certain countries. Trying to get more bandwidth for cloud services. Developing healthcare-related apps on the fly under accelerate timelines
    We are still doing the contract, employment, general corp stuff but I spend most of my time organizing remote staff. I have been able to work remote for a while now (nothing better than billing from the hill). Although I am still going into the office - because I love our office. So if others can’t do it Lee we can if you need more capacity.

I think my real estate practice is going to die off.

Still busy with the corp stuff but we will see. I have a couple months just in backlog work - so that helps.

Getting a lot of inquiries about family law - man do I hate family law.

I was thinking estate planning might pick up - but crickets.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

I'm a contractor in Event Operations on major international sporting events. World Cup Skiing, Olympic Games etc. I went to China in January for 6 weeks of work, which was cut short, very short. I haven't had a paycheck since December from a previous event. My two future major sporting events (that are in question) between now and December make up for 65% of my annually income.
    I live high when I'm making the money, and low when it's not there. It might get really low for a while.
    Last night I drank a blended scotch. Is this what I have to look forward to?

In the middle of the epicenter in north jersey - own an auto repair shop - 2 full time employees, working , busy, doors locked employees only in shop. Reality check every morning before we start. Hands are raw from washing them and sanitizing cars before they come in. All remote drop offs and pick ups, pay over phone. I haven’t touched another person in 3 weeks. I could use a break , I’m pretty sure it’s coming one way or the other. But for now, we continue on. You want to hear brazen? Today I went to the local hospital to see my pulmonologist about recently diagnosed sleep apnea. We had a great visit. No time to live in fear. Like I said , I’m sure a break is coming one way or another.....

Fire/Medic. Nervous times for sure.

I’m still going into the shop every day, we’ve changed policies and my front door remains locked all day. What worries me is the people that don’t have a clue, folks wondering why our door is locked. Folks banging on our front door directly on the sign that has big red letters PLEASE READ. These are exactly the people I don’t want in my business right now.

My employees are all laying low so I feel pretty good about not getting it from one of them. Social distancing isn’t something that can really happen at a shop. Working from home isn’t really an option either, luckily I’m probably in decent enough financial shape to weather a shut down if any of us came down with anything. (While continuing to take care of my guys.)

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo View Post
    In the middle of the epicenter in north jersey - own an auto repair shop - 2 full time employees, working , busy, doors locked employees only in shop. Reality check every morning before we start. Hands are raw from washing them and sanitizing cars before they come in. All remote drop offs and pick ups, pay over phone. I haven’t touched another person in 3 weeks. I could use a break , I’m pretty sure it’s coming one way or the other. But for now, we continue on. You want to hear brazen? Today I went to the local hospital to see my pulmonologist about recently diagnosed sleep apnea. We had a great visit. No time to live in fear. Like I said , I’m sure a break is coming one way or another.....

We’re busy as well, my car count is down but ARO is way up. Seems a combo of folks more wanting a reliable vehicle in case the shtf and folks not needing their vehicles while hunkering and catching up on maintenance.

I do upstream R&D for infectious disease diagnostics and have been punching in on the covid clock since late January. We went to mandated no time off end of last week. I design the major biological components for the tests and explore the best systems to produce them, which means if things work well it's on me and when things don't work it's on me to figure out why and then fix it. Sure is nice when it works right the first time.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Outside sales rep for a manufacturer of electrical products in the residential/commercial/industrial construction field. I have WFH since 1998, so this is no problem. I mostly focus on large multi family and commercial construction, which has been BOOMING in FL. I have only seen an increase in work since last week when the company mandated we stay in our offices. Our distributors also politely asked us to stay away starting last Monday.

I told my boss the other day that I feel like I have been training for this for years. It's like my Super Bowl. They asked us today where we were, work wise, and they suggested- 65%? I laughed and said 120%. They didn't believe me until I went through the list of what I had going on. The other guys were mostly 100% of normal going into week 1.5. It just shocked management.

As for the school thing, this is where living in FL is a huge benefit. My kids' school has always had a plan in place in case of a major hurricane disruption. They literally went in last Monday for a half day refresher on their training and were up and running Tues. am. They have had a couple of glitches, but it has been amazingly smooth so far. The girls are responding pretty well too. Their dance school also went online, and that is working incredibly well with Apple TV and laptops.

Not wanting to live this way for too long, but we are doing pretty well with it. It helps that my wife "works" from home already, so she has taken over teacher duties. She threw me out of the house (home office + older noisy kids now= me thrown out) about 2 years ago and I now have a separate office in her dad's insurance firm in out neighborhood. I bet she is regretting that move right about now.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    Enviro Consultant to Construction projects, residential and commercial.

I need to be in the field but don't need to get close to anyone & drive my own PU truck. I do the office work from home office.

Several projects that were looking iffy for this summer have been pushed to 2021. Everything else is still onward/upward although I could see some delays in starting new building within existing projects. My year was already pretty much booked.
    Not terribly far off from what I do, but I'm public sector project side and am in the biology field rather than the engineering field.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    Last night I drank a blended scotch. Is this what I have to look forward to?
    *Vibes* We are all in this together.

Engineer for the feds. WFH since 3/13, but my position has been deemed mission critical, so will start doing fieldwork again starting Thursday.

Fieldwork will consist of only me in my assigned rig visiting pretty remote areas with very limited human interaction, if any. WFH continues on non-field days.

The riskiest moves I can see, aside from driving or getting shot at by a squatter, are entering the office (2 door handles) and getting gas (full service state). Think I can get around both by hitting the automatic door openers on the way in to office and swiping the credit card for the gas attendant. Been carrying around a small bottle of sanitizer and always have a large bottle in the truck. I'll use that stuff more often than usual.

Been more productive than usual - WFH seems to filter out the BS.

I manage a D2C technical hunting apparel brand. Because we are D2C, we barely had to do anything I frastructure-wise to WFH. Our warehouse is in SLC, however, and we're worried for those folks. Sales have slowed but we're still way up over last year, so I guess we're an anomolly at retail.

Quote Originally Posted by BobMc View Post
    We’re busy as well, my car count is down but ARO is way up. Seems a combo of folks more wanting a reliable vehicle in case the shtf and folks not needing their vehicles while hunkering and catching up on maintenance.
    Exact same dynamic happening here. Amazing how much more productive things become when the door is locked.