Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Happy I still have a job. They let 12 go from various biz units. Then came the second choice. Reduce workforce by 40% or ask everyone to take a pay cut (well they didnt ask but.), 4 tier scale based on salary $0-60K 5%, 60-100K 10%, 100-150 20%, and 150K+ 25%. This is for 3 months only. They waited as long as they could so they would only have to do this once.

I will state that the 2 owners (husband and wife) have been taking no salary since the start of this and plan to continue to do so until this mess is over, all other senior management has been taking a 50% pay cut since the start. They only asked employees after they had done all they could. I commend them for this. To me it shows they get it and care. I also like the pay cut instead of losing 1 in every 4 employees. I think i made the right choice taking this leap, i see a bright future for this place as I think they will weather the storm better than many and have opportunities to pick up the pieces of other businesses not so lucky. Hope everyone is keeping their hopes as high as possible.
    ^ glad you are still employed and totally agree with your comments about your company. they get it. work for a global ad agency and they decided instead of letting go 425 people, they reduced all salaries between 2.5%-12.5%, suspended 401ks and raises for the year and people were stoked. we have weekly meetings where leadership discusses the state of the business and answers tough questions. not going to lie, i was pretty pissed when we were purchased 4 years ago but i'm quite certain, i'd be in a different position than i am today being with a much smaller company with far fewer resources. now, if they have to pull any additional levers ...

Quote Originally Posted by getoutside View Post
    ^ glad you are still employed and totally agree with your comments about your company. they get it. work for a global ad agency and they decided instead of letting go 425 people, they reduced all salaries between 2.5%-12.5%, suspended 401ks and raises for the year and people were stoked. we have weekly meetings where leadership discusses the state of the business and answers tough questions. not going to lie, i was pretty pissed when we were purchased 4 years ago but i'm quite certain, i'd be in a different position than i am today being with a much smaller company with far fewer resources. now, if they have to pull any additional levers ...
    It's kinda refreshing to work for a company that seems to care.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

We start back in the office Monday. My GIS guy went ape shit and responded to my boss's email with a bunch of cut and paste from the county and state orders showing that if we can WFH, then we should continue to do so. But we're considered essential, so boss said we were lucky to have WFH at all. Of course, it's complete bullshit. The truth is they completely botched how they went about deciding who could WFH and who couldn't. People they didn't let WFH were pressuring HR for answers, so they just did the easiest thing: everybody come back, you're essential. Restrictions are closed office door. No in person meetings. Uh... that's EXACTLY what I'm doing from home. Fucking idiots. Not looking forward to sitting in a closed 10x10 box for 9 hours a day.

Most states have a mechanism you can report employers who disregard public health orders.

Quote Originally Posted by GiBo View Post
    We start back in the office Monday. My GIS guy went ape shit and responded to my boss's email with a bunch of cut and paste from the county and state orders showing that if we can WFH, then we should continue to do so. But we're considered essential, so boss said we were lucky to have WFH at all. Of course, it's complete bullshit. The truth is they completely botched how they went about deciding who could WFH and who couldn't. People they didn't let WFH were pressuring HR for answers, so they just did the easiest thing: everybody come back, you're essential. Restrictions are closed office door. No in person meetings. Uh... that's EXACTLY what I'm doing from home. Fucking idiots. Not looking forward to sitting in a closed 10x10 box for 9 hours a day.
    Monday ? how many weeks is that ? been coming in 6 days a week. luckily our dept head didn't panic after seeing only about 1% were infected. was a little rough not having anywhere to stop in at for lunch.
    TGR forums cannot handle SkiCougar !

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    I suspect that my job will remain mostly remote forever (thankfully), aside from client meetings and some in person training since im new when this all is over, but i expect minimal actual "office visits".

I also suspect that when hiring kicks back in for all companies that there will be many opportunities for remote work. Especially tech sector.
    If the tech sector got any more remote, it would be working on Pluto. They don't give a shit about this "inconvenience", nor should they.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    yesterday was the 1st day since the end of the season nobody bought a ski online
    I did a mount at retail brick and mortar though
    1st day ups brought the sign on the pad device back
    last names honor system aint cuttin it no more I guess
    things must be gittin better
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by GiBo View Post
    My GIS guy
    Life is a little more fun when you replace GIS with “jizz”, in your mind or out loud depending on the audience. Among our close friend group there are 4 GIS nerds. The jizz jokes surprisingly haven’t gotten old.

Anyway, back on topic. Fortunately, it’s easy to jizz from home.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

^^^I was a jizzer for the first 15 years of my career. That's an oldie, but goodie.

The "jizz" guy who has to work in open cubie land is wearing a full-on face mask. And I mean the kind with a big filter in front and head straps. It's quite the statement. At least I can close my door. This environment is full of engineers and blue collar. Both seem to lean Trumpy, so not a lot of covid believers here. No one is taking any precautions. It's a free for all. If I'm getting it, it'll be from here.

Returned to the office after 3 months working from home.
    The building is still very empty and there are only handful of us made back (some got let go, some waiting for a COVID test result or waiting to get tested).
    Most of us got hours and salary cut.
    I was one of the lucky ones who got only 5 hour/12.5% pay cut.
    But there are others got 10 hour/25% and 15 hour/37.5% cut.
    By the fall, we’ll either get our hours and salary back or will have another lay offs and cuts.

I got a quadrapalegic jizz buddy who went to working at home in the pandemic and figures he will now be working at home for ever, which makes his life way easier
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I got a quadrapalegic jizz buddy who went to working at home in the pandemic and figures he will now be working at home for ever, which makes his life way easier
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I'm being paid to convert \ to / and start being case thenthetif.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Quadrapalegic in a circle jerk?

Definitely a punch line to some joke.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Ya, you missed a little bit of thread drift. Hint, it's spelled GIS.

Dang, I kinda regret checking out this thread now.
    watch out for snakes

I'm still working from home and likely will be for at least a couple more months. Our program's budget has been cut, but so far no layoffs or furloughs. I miss the field work like stream profile surveys or habitat assessments, but I don't miss the daily commute to the office and I'm saving a lot of miles on my vehicle.

I have known a lot of GIS types up here but never heard the jizz joke ... I will have to use it

a quad has issues with health in general just breathing ( edibles only ) staying warm ( down jackets in summer ) so staying home is way easier but not girls to look at

driving a chair in 6" of snow, buddy put skate board decks on his front wheels to get thru snow
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Gots me a job finally!!! Actually been working a few weeks now, thus the much reduced posting around these parts. Forklift operator on an assembly line these days at a hudge factory. Doesn't pay worth a shit and lots of night work pulling 12 hour shifts, but it's a job and it's actually pretty fun. Stoked to get hired ANYWHERE right now as all my other leads have been dead ends for months so very thankful to them. Apparently during the 8 week plant shut down the owner paid them all a full time wage out of his own pocket since the rest of the board didn't want to. Good dude who really cares and they're taking EVERY precaution imaginable to operate safely. Temp checks every day just to get through the parking lot, a thermal scan to get in the door, masks required, face shields when working among others, plexiglass between workers on the line and in the offices, distancing for seating, etc. They're doing a great job actually.

Where I'm actually feeling pretty encouraged is that from the time they reopened a few weeks back until now, I've been seeing production really ramp up as their orders continue to increase. They expect full production by mid-July although we're pretty much there already, busting out products at warp speed. Perhaps a good read on where the economy might be headed again?

I have worked from home for years and as I always tell the family, when shit is bad for the economy it is good for me (lower interest rates). I am working my ass off (like 7 days a week) but when business is here you better take advantage of it, as I may be fully retired in 2021, if shit gets back to normal.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

I'm going to do the first road trip in 3 1/2 months this week, hopefully generate some sales and ensure that relationships are still intact so things can start moving forward again. While my industry has been killin' it for the last few months most of the sales reps I know are taking it on the chin because we're not out there putting in orders. Retailers have defaulted to the easiest 2 or 3 suppliers and when you rep mostly B lines you're not their first thought so you lose.

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    Gots me a job finally!!! Actually been working a few weeks now, thus the much reduced posting around these parts. Forklift operator on an assembly line these days at a hudge factory. Doesn't pay worth a shit and lots of night work pulling 12 hour shifts, but it's a job and it's actually pretty fun. Stoked to get hired ANYWHERE right now as all my other leads have been dead ends for months so very thankful to them. Apparently during the 8 week plant shut down the owner paid them all a full time wage out of his own pocket since the rest of the board didn't want to. Good dude who really cares and they're taking EVERY precaution imaginable to operate safely. Temp checks every day just to get through the parking lot, a thermal scan to get in the door, masks required, face shields when working among others, plexiglass between workers on the line and in the offices, distancing for seating, etc. They're doing a great job actually.

Where I'm actually feeling pretty encouraged is that from the time they reopened a few weeks back until now, I've been seeing production really ramp up as their orders continue to increase. They expect full production by mid-July although we're pretty much there already, busting out products at warp speed. Perhaps a good read on where the economy might be headed again?
    Wow. Great news man. Sounds like a good place to work.

Congrats Montucky, good news 4 sure.

Developers keep calling needing my services. I have had a couple of big projects shelved until 2021 but I was glad to see them pushed back so fuckit.

The past 4 years have been a little out of control, nice to have things slack off a bit so I can get caught up.

I raised my rates in January and other than a couple of questions about it for budgeting, no push back at all.

Got a bunch of disturbed areas harrowed and seeded on Friday and we are getting some rain today.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Congrats to both Austin and gravitylover

That's great Austin & gl. I'll bet the economy starts to recover as the nation gets over the initial shock and figures out how to manage this infection. Fuckall, I hope we get over the divisiveness.

I'm still poking bits for a major game company in the operating systems group from home with a shitty innert00bs link over a VPN. Last week one day, the lead says don't count references to file X in the makefiles as significant, lots of them are typos. A couple days later, I find that the presence of a similar file Y _is_ significant, so I tell him and he flips out, insisting that he told me that the functionality exposed from file Y is broken, completely ignoring what he had said about typos of file references.
    Can't win.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<