Cleaning and servicing Espar D2

Anyone done it? What do you use to clean the combustion chamber? Besides screen and glow plug any other often replaces parts? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Ive done the plug screen several times, and the chamber once. Its pretty strait forward and makes a big difference on how the heater runs day to day. I used a angle grinder to slot a 10mm (i think) deep socket that allows you to remove the glow plug. usually need a small pick or something sharp to get the old screen out, it will be gunked in there good. There is a little pin hole down in the plug chamber, make sure to get this cleaned out with a wire brush.

Combustion chamber is a bigger undertaking but still very DIY. Mine was nasty, chisel and wire brush with brake cleaner. access to a sand blaster would be ideal!! I think brake cleaner is pretty flammable so make sure its not coated on it when you put it back together. There is also a paper seal that must be replaced when you put the chamber back together. I get my parts from the isotherm truck service center in denver, or heatso.com. There is a espar service manual pdf out there that is way more detailed in how to take it apart, replacement parts, ect. I also run kerosine through mine periodically as a PM of sorts. The kerosine seems to burn hotter and takes down some of the diesel build up

sweet little heaters, but need to be taken care of

Do you just attach an tube to the pump and dunk it in a bottle of kerosene?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

exactly. I had some of the extra clear fuel line lying around. disconnect the diesel "in line" from fuel pump, and run line right out of the kerosine bottle. I let it crank on high for an hour or two.

I had mine gunk up and stop working on me a couple winters ago. middle of a ski week, was not ideal. with regular PM I haven't had any additional issues the past couple years. Running it on high, doors wide open, after a night on low/med also seems to help keep build up down. If you start seeing some white smoke on start up, thats a tell tale sign of extensive build up and the need for a cleaning.