Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Holy shit. For something usually allusive strutting through front yards in the day is bad news. Kids out there playing or something. Shit.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    You do realize that exact same thing happens in Snoqualmie and North Bend on the regular, right? One of my coworkers lives over by Meadowbrook farm and sees them in his yard or on his street almost daily during elk calving season. There are quite a few of them around here, and they're no strangers to the neighborhoods in the area.

Granted it was on a hike, but Abraham and I inadvertently got awfully close to a big kitty last summer on the Granite Lakes trail.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    You do realize that exact same thing happens in Snoqualmie and North Bend on the regular, right? One of my coworkers lives over by Meadowbrook farm and sees them in his yard or on his street almost daily during elk calving season.
    id be surprised if they didn’t get further into the burbs. They certainly do in California.

Creepiest experience was being followed down a fire road by one.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    You do realize that exact same thing happens in Snoqualmie and North Bend on the regular, right? One of my coworkers lives over by Meadowbrook farm and sees them in his yard or on his street almost daily during elk calving season.
    I guess, just never seen one. I’ve seen bobcats, bears, and coyotes in my yard but no pack of lions yet.

So many fucking rabbits here to eat too, all my flowers are imprisoned in chicken wire.

Waking up to find tracks all around you in the dirt is pretty wild. Holy shit.

I've only seen one. Riding down from some trails one evening, come around a corner, and there's one chilling on the road. Was gone down the bank so fast it took a few seconds to process what I'd seen. Have come across fresh tracks in the snow that were headed toward me and then veered off a couple of times, which makes you realize it probably happens a lot more but you only notice in the snow.

A few years ago we had a family of them down by the creek, they ate a couple of pets and had to be tracked down and shot. My sister saw one walking down the sidewalk one night around then.

There’s a video out there on Facebook showing today’s snowstorm in Boulder and 2 mountain lions roaming the suburban streets. Not good.

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    There’s a video out there on Facebook showing today’s snowstorm in Boulder and 2 mountain lions roaming the suburban streets. Not good.
    Reading the comments on the video, on Alpine, possibly as far east as 20th.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Picking off all the weakened CVers???

Mountain Lion Sighting in the Wilderness

Saw this online..the cougar pounces at this guy at about 2:40. I would shit my pants. I think he finally threw a rock?

https://unofficialnetworks.com/2020/...DEF6RYxdKZeGv0

Saw this online..the cougar pounces at this guy at about 2:40. I would shit my pants. I think he finally threw a rock?

https://unofficialnetworks.com/2020/...DEF6RYxdKZeGv0
    Intense video. Good cameraman too... I woulda thrown a rock about 15 seconds in and killed the suspense. So many beautiful rocks.

That probably would have been a fatal mistake, as soon as you reached down for that rock, it would be wearing your neck in its mouth.
    crab in my shoe mouth

All the experts ay they don't exist in the eastern US any more (except a pygmy cat in the Everglades?) but I was driving through a very rural part of northern NY about 8 years ago and definitely saw one crossing a field. It was December so all the corn was gone and I had a very clear view. The tail is the giveaway. When I got home I called the NY DEC to report it and they promptly told me that I did not see a mountain lion. Even though my college career was spectacularly unspectacular, I did have a degree in Zoology with a focus on Mammalogy. I know what a big cat looks like. Pics or it didn't happen though and it was too far away to get a picture with any level of focus on a Blackberry.

This kitty was right outside my office one year ago:
    Name:  Bobcat 10072019.jpg
Views: 1027
Size:  192.6 KB

Mountain Lion Sighting in the Wilderness

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    That probably would have been a fatal mistake, as soon as you reached down for that rock, it would be wearing your neck in its mouth.
    This. Although very early on he could have grabbed a big one before it was following him closely.

Would it have been better if he stood his ground and not backed away?

He should have not approached the cubs of course. Idiotic.

This.

Would it have been better if he stood his ground and not backed away?
    Yes

Probably would have been good to throw his arms up, yell at the top of his lungs and advance towards it. Much harder to keep in focus, though.

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    Probably would have been good to throw his arms up, yell at the top of his lungs and advance towards it. Much harder to keep in focus, though.
    That’s what I did in my close encounter, my dogs attacking it probably helped.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsAugustWest View Post
    All the experts ay they don't exist in the eastern US any more (except a pygmy cat in the Everglades?) but I was driving through a very rural part of northern NY about 8 years ago and definitely saw one crossing a field. It was December so all the corn was gone and I had a very clear view. The tail is the giveaway. When I got home I called the NY DEC to report it and they promptly told me that I did not see a mountain lion. Even though my college career was spectacularly unspectacular, I did have a degree in Zoology with a focus on Mammalogy. I know what a big cat looks like. Pics or it didn't happen though and it was too far away to get a picture with any level of focus on a Blackberry.
    NY DEC is full of shit. They’ve been denying their existence in the state for a long time. Multiple people in our fishing camp on the Delaware in the Catskills have reportedly seen them.

Interesting the way the cougar attacked, or at least threatened to attack, with its front legs spread wide like that. I wasn’t expecting that. Very scary.

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    Interesting the way the cougar attacked, or at least threatened to attack, with its front legs spread wide like that. I wasn’t expecting that. Very scary.
    Typical cat aggression. Square Face holds his ground like that all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    Typical cat aggression. Square Face holds his ground like that all the time.
    We’ve had a few cats and I never noticed them do it quite like that with the paws so wide apart, but I’ll take your word for it. We mostly have dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    NY DEC is full of shit.
    Truth

That was an impressively persistent cat. She followed the guy for 6 minutes?! Damn... And she wasn't easily deterred, she called his bluff a few times when he tried to sound and look threatening.
    I've been hoping to see a kitty in the wild but I'd be content with a 3 second trail-side sighting, not that whole enchilada.

We’ve had a few cats and I never noticed them do it quite like that with the paws so wide apart, but I’ll take your word for it. We mostly have dogs.
    My cats do the same. It's shocking how conserved the behavior seems to be in all felines, from tiny house cats to big old tigers and lions. They get low to the ground and lunge with their front paws spread out so they can get the claws in to whatever they're hunting. Then they bite, hold on, and use the back legs to do damage. Even kitties have it figured out a few weeks in.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsAugustWest View Post
    This be the one ?

https://www.ctpost.com/local/article...ta-1599627.php

Yeah, me neither. That’s horrifying!

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    NY DEC is full of shit. They’ve been denying their existence in the state for a long time. Multiple people in our fishing camp on the Delaware in the Catskills have reportedly seen them.
    If there was a mountain lion population in NY there would be road kills

Because there are so many road kills everywhere else that has them?