Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    hm, you would know better than me but I thought mountain lions often attack from above and behind.
    Nobody actually knows because any potential witnesses are dead.

hm, you would know better than me but I thought mountain lions often attack from above and behind.
    Hanging out in a tree or elevated terrain is usually a defensive or resting/denning strategy. Usually. Probably.

But yes, a sneak attack from behind is confirmed by a couple of the guys I mentioned. In all cases, it was that neck prickle that caused them to turn around and see the cat stalking them.

I have a friend who kills a mountain lion almost yearly in SD with a bow. I would really like to have a beer with him and have him explain to me how this is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    I have a friend who kills a mountain lion almost yearly in SD with a bow. I would really like to have a beer with him and have him explain to me how this is possible.
    He probably trees the cat with dogs and then shoots it. That’s how most people hunt cougars (be it guns or bows). It’s also popular to leave the guts of your elk/deer out to bring cats in. Neither are really very sporting ways to kill an animal.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Last time I talked to him about it though he went into a den to kill one. Wish i asked more questions about that in person before he moved away from Utah. Anyways....this could derail this thread quickly but you are probably right about some easy trick, makes much more sense now.

I know that in the Sundarban (tiger country in India) they often wear face masks (i.e. masks that look like faces) backwards or wear hats with faces on the back because tigers prefer to attack from behind and masks/hats with faces on the back confuse them on which way the people are facing.

Maybe the same thing would work with mountain lions? With the tigers they feel it's evolutionary - less risk to the tiger if it's not seen before the attack so they evolved the behavior- so you'd think the same idea would be in play with cougars. Cougars. There I said it.

I know that in the Sundarban (tiger country in India) they often wear face masks (i.e. masks that look like faces) backwards or wear hats with faces on the back because tigers prefer to attack from behind and masks/hats with faces on the back confuse them on which way the people are facing.

Maybe the same thing would work with mountain lions? With the tigers they feel it's evolutionary - less risk to the tiger if it's not seen before the attack so they evolved the behavior- so you'd think the same idea would be in play with cougars. Cougars. There I said it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	d14f06f428e0ed95886142b7f0a2972e.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	87.2 KB 
ID:	343617

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    So what is the answer? Does bear spray work? I know that if they really want to get ya, you'll never hear them coming.

Mountain Lion Sighting in the Wilderness

one of the guys on the alone -the patagucci season I believe had a hat with a face on the back for that reason.

and yea around us always wondered if bear spray or even an air horn would work more effectively for a cat. haven’t ventured out with just the airhorn yet though

muted I am dying over that photo. so mf funny
    skid luxury

Name:	d14f06f428e0ed95886142b7f0a2972e.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	87.2 KB 
ID:	343617
    Hipsters are fair game from any angle, the tigers know they'll just call their parents and ask for help. Lose the goateemullet before it gets you killed. And fix your collar. I like your shirt, though.

I just take my anti-cat device everyday.

Name:	IMG_0385.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	2.17 MB 
ID:	343712

Trees it with a dog and uses a bow instead of a gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    I just take my anti-cat device everyday.

Name:	IMG_0385.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	2.17 MB 
ID:	343712
    Yep. Anti cat device or distraction/bait that lets me live. Hopefully.

One of our neighbors has a couple of coon hounds that treed a mountain lion up in Tahoe Donner.

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    Yep. Anti cat device or distraction/bait that lets me live. Hopefully.
    We’re a team and have each other’s backs. No way I’d ever leave him.

We’ve had four bear encounters this season.
    He’s been really good, hasn’t been aggressive and they’ve all ended well.

But most bear attacks on humans, involve an unleashed dog.