Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 90
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    An Anheuser-Busch Barley Field
    Posts
    4,797

    Mountain Lion Sighting in the Wilderness

    Had my first mountain lion sighting last night, and as an added bonus it was out in the wilderness, and there were two!

    I was out for a paddle on one of the dammed lakes in Tonto NF. This one consists of a main lake body and then about 6 miles of narrows. We semi-recently received a decent amount of rain which meant the falls and washes are flowing, making the narrows even more beautiful than normal.

    I made it to the end, below the dam of the higher lake at about 7pm, about 7.5mi from the put in. At this point all of the boat traffic had been done for over an hour and it was just getting dark. I knew it was going to take longer on the way out navigating through the various log jams in the narrows in the dark but was ok with that, headlamp came in handy for a couple sections. Around each bend I'd turn on the lamp and scan the shoreline/walls for eyes. At about 9:45 I picked up a pair of eyes at water level from a good distance. Shut off the light and stealth paddled until about 75 yards.

    When I turned the light back up I lit up a patch of mesquite where the eyes were, nothing. Panning left I picked the eyes up again, now 50ft up what I would consider a cliff. Immediately knew these were not sheep as not one rock was displaced. I was still too far to make out bodies at this point, but the animals continued another 20-30ft up to a ledge on the cliff. Now they were doing their best disappearing act, heads low and bobbing up and down, just barely peaking over the edge to scope me out.

    I turned off the light and sat quietly for a few minutes, intently listening for any sound of movement. Nothing. I paddled a bit closer, now I'd estimate the distance between myself and the cliff at 40 yards. Turned the light on again. One was still peaking over the ledge, the other had now begun to move down the cliff. I imagine they were cornered up there and rather uncomfortable. The creature that moved down the cliff now turned and bounded back up. Finally I got the view I was waiting for, a great look at the flank, tail and all. It was a fucking cat, and a pretty big one too! Still can't believe how quiet they can move over that terrain, in the dark to boot.

    Now wondering whether it was a mother and ~year old kitten, or perhaps two siblings recently departed from their mother.


    Who else has got some stories?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Wasatch Back: 7000'
    Posts
    10,379
    Feb. 5, 2018. Park City
    Name:  IMG_2296.jpg
Views: 6155
Size:  75.3 KB
    “A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.”
    ― Milton Friedman

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Midgaard
    Posts
    2,879
    Yesterday in Boulder : Name:  IMG_3761.JPG
Views: 4387
Size:  204.5 KB


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    SLC
    Posts
    5,603
    Last winter I was training for the Grand Traverse, which starts at midnight, so I did some big ~10k' vertical training days starting at midnight. One of them it had snowed maybe 4" and was still lightly snowing; cuz the GT is pretty flat, my first 5 miles were on an unmaintained winter road. For the whole way the only tracks on that road besides mine were some unmistakable mountain lion tracks, which must have been pretty fresh because with all the snow things were filling in quick. Spooky af, though I never saw the cat.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Joisey
    Posts
    2,071
    Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Yesterday in Boulder : Name:  IMG_3761.JPG
Views: 4387
Size:  204.5 KB


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Serial, right in the road? I love bog cats, but I might be afraid of those big guys.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    san diego
    Posts
    2,187
    Was that Roosevelt Lake or Apache Lake?

    I saw a lion while riding the Coconino loop back in 2012. After climbing up Mingus Mtn in the dark we got to a forest road at the top. I was ahead, and in the dim light of my camping headlight saw something bound across the road about 40-50ft in front of me. It was about the size of a deer but had a long tail. When Schillingsworth caught up I had him shine his headlamp up toward the hill above us. Saw 2 eyes staring back down at us. Spooky.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    on the banks of Fish Creek
    Posts
    3,156
    none of these animals are properly social distancing..... wft? is really that had to just #staythefuckhome ?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    none
    Posts
    6,824
    I spend a lot of time outside at sunrise.
    I’ve seen two, both at a distance.
    Probably countless have seen me.
    I always have my dog. I’m not sure he’d be a big help in an attack, but I’m sure he’s deterrent.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Wasatch Back: 7000'
    Posts
    10,379
    My bobcat looks like a kitten compared to those beasts
    “A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.”
    ― Milton Friedman

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Ontario Canada eh
    Posts
    3,962
    Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Yesterday in Boulder : Name:  IMG_3761.JPG
Views: 4387
Size:  204.5 KB


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    That's amazing and scary. Damn
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    What sprays in Vegas, stays in Vegas?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    5,564
    Magnificent animals. I mean, just the tails alone ......

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    In the swamp
    Posts
    8,026

    Mountain Lion Sighting in the Wilderness

    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Satch View Post
    That's amazing and scary. Damn
    Those were seen at 19th and Iris. That’s a long ways into the city

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    YetiMan
    Posts
    11,772
    Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    Last winter I was training for the Grand Traverse, which starts at midnight, so I did some big ~10k' vertical training days starting at midnight. One of them it had snowed maybe 4" and was still lightly snowing; cuz the GT is pretty flat, my first 5 miles were on an unmaintained winter road. For the whole way the only tracks on that road besides mine were some unmistakable mountain lion tracks, which must have been pretty fresh because with all the snow things were filling in quick. Spooky af, though I never saw the cat.
    I slept out (no tent) next to the trucks on a fire on the vermejo park ranch, probably around 00/01. It was on a dozer line with a lot of fine fine talc dirt we called “moon dust”. I woke up to cat tracks everywhere, right next to my head, on the hood of the truck...everywhere.

    Thanks for letting me live, big kitties.
    Good kitties.
    We putz ur firez out and leave now, kthxbye.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Midgaard
    Posts
    2,879
    Quote Originally Posted by JongDoe View Post
    Serial, right in the road? I love bog cats, but I might be afraid of those big guys.
    This was in NW Boulder.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Midgaard
    Posts
    2,879
    Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Those were seen at 19th and Iris. That’s a long ways into the city
    That’s pretty much where that photo was taken so they’re definitely in town.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    In the swamp
    Posts
    8,026
    More lions in Boulder city limits (maybe the same 3)? Not my pic.
    Name:  IMG_8616.JPG
Views: 3363
Size:  119.3 KB

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    6,660
    Holy shit. For something usually allusive strutting through front yards in the day is bad news. Kids out there playing or something. Shit.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Ventura Highway in the Sunshine
    Posts
    22,129
    Never seen one myself, but did have one trip on our tent lines one night. Damn near collapsed the tent. Found a big tuft of hair on the line and big ass paw prints.

    I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    In the swamp
    Posts
    8,026
    Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Holy shit. For something usually allusive strutting through front yards in the day is bad news. Kids out there playing or something. Shit.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Yep.
    Maybe they’re just making sure people are staying the fuck inside.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Shuswap Highlands
    Posts
    2,871
    Agreed. While they are just magnificent to see, I can't imagine their lives being long ones if they have staked out the urban area as their territory.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    PRB
    Posts
    24,131
    Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    More lions in Boulder city limits (maybe the same 3)? Not my pic.
    Name:  IMG_8616.JPG
Views: 3363
Size:  119.3 KB
    Are you sure this is a new pic? Because I saw this or something very like this around the same time as the other pic.

    At first I thought they must be fake, but they're not.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "I'd eat a bag of Dicks and wash it down with a Coke any day." - iceman

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,175
    Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    I slept out (no tent) next to the trucks on a fire on the vermejo park ranch, probably around 00/01. It was on a dozer line with a lot of fine fine talc dirt we called “moon dust”. I woke up to cat tracks everywhere, right next to my head, on the hood of the truck...everywhere.

    Thanks for letting me live, big kitties.
    Good kitties.
    We putz ur firez out and leave now, kthxbye.
    Damn.....

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    livin the dream
    Posts
    3,980
    Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Never seen one myself, but did have one trip on our tent lines one night. Damn near collapsed the tent. Found a big tuft of hair on the line and big ass paw prints.
    The only time I saw one (two actually) was in your neck of the woods. I used to hop some fences and hike the ridge behind town from the Ventura "V" to the Botanical Gardens. I saw two mountain lions a few hundred feet away near the radio towers up there. Then when I was coming down off the ridge, VPD was running some exercises at the old shooting range at the top Grant Park. I had to sneak past them. That was the last time I hiked that route....
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    In the swamp
    Posts
    8,026
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Are you sure this is a new pic? Because I saw this or something very like this around the same time as the other pic.

    At first I thought they must be fake, but they're not.
    Not sure if it’s a repeat from then.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    In the swamp
    Posts
    8,026
    I would assume lions leave you alone if you’re in a tent, since they wouldn’t mistake you as prey? Or are they like bears and can smell any food you might have?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •