Page 69 of 70 FirstFirst ... 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 LastLast
Results 1,701 to 1,725 of 1748
    FYI from a Duke University study

"Neck fleeces, also called gaiter masks and often used by runners, were the least effective. In fact, wearing a fleece mask resulted in a higher number of respiratory droplets because the material seemed to break down larger droplets into smaller particles that are more easily carried away with air."

Quote Originally Posted by Redsmurfer View Post
    FYI from a Duke University study

"Neck fleeces, also called gaiter masks and often used by runners, were the least effective. In fact, wearing a fleece mask resulted in a higher number of respiratory droplets because the material seemed to break down larger droplets into smaller particles that are more easily carried away with air."
    So those should be banned at ski resorts this winter?

There's some back and forth on the mask study in the rat flu thread in the PR. Suggest you read it. As well as a link to the study report, which should be included if someone is going to post something from it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1507.JPG 
Views:	136 
Size:	141.1 KB 
ID:	336891

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post

Cool idea to stay engaged w/ season ticket holders.

^^^^ that is rad
    props to the pirates

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    In 61 years of life, much of it spent recreating out doors, hiking, climbing, ski touring, etc. I have never needed SAR or urgent medical attention due to said activity. But, with medical services potentially in a state of crisis is it wise and/or ethical to pursue such activities.

One of the local guide services sent out an email saying they were suspending service to all non-locals to avoid bringing COVID-19 into the county. Shortly after they suspend all services. I thought it a bit odd that they would guide locals only. The tourist board from Mammoth just issued a statement basically saying all non residents to stay away (they never had a problem taking tourist dollars before.)

I am not sure what the answer here is. I don't want to over burden local services, but I also don't want to be treated like I am nothing more then a profit center. Two different issues here, I suppose.
    hi, guys -- it is interesting how this issue evolves...
    I thank hutash for beginning this thread - it seems like it is in about it's fifth generation --

I followed it closely early - with experience in emergency care and services, I was very interested to see where it went --
    as it devolved into 'I will do whatever I want... ' I had to step away ;

now, I see a reasonably thoughtful discussion about fabric face coverings, and
    I am grateful this community can have thoughtful discussions
    ( of course(,) there are always the trolls, and I am still too eager to take-the-bait )

recently, I have been following the '20-2021 season' thread, and there seems to be a lot of guarded ,,, optimism out there
    ( I think it is more optimism than just hopefulness... there is too much going on in the ( resort communities ) for it to just be hope
    ( optimism is Good ) --

what I might say - what I am inclined to say is a cautionary note --
    I am only going to say,
    in this region now, it is those 20-29 that have the greatest incidence of Positive testing --
    If this virus becomes more deadly ( and at this point, I do not know (if that is even a possibility) )
    ... thing could change in a matter of days --

Be Safe ,
    Be Smart...

November ( - and late October - ) is coming...

peace. tj

Sturgis was fucking Sick! Wish that I could have stayed longer.

Sent from my SM-G960U using TGR Forums mobile app
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    Sturgis was fucking Sick! Wish that I could have stayed longer.

Sent from my SM-G960U using TGR Forums mobile app
    Sarcasm?
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

^You gnu when you read it

Regarding that mask effectiveness study that wasn't actually about mask effectiveness: https://www.sciencenews.org/article/...droplets-study

Sent from my Pixel 3a using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post

sweet. great stadium to take in a game at too.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Regarding that mask effectiveness study that wasn't actually about mask effectiveness: https://www.sciencenews.org/article/...droplets-study

Awesome find, thanks for sharing.

While we still have much to learn about masks and transmission, Gandhi says the preponderance of evidence, both for COVID-19 and earlier viruses, suggests “that cloth face masks, and that includes properly worn neck gaiters, filter out the majority of viral particles and provide some protection for an individual.”
    Fuck these news sites and their clickbait bullshit. They're actually dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by ml242 View Post
    sweet. great stadium to take in a game at too.
    Yes. Great ballpark.

If you ever had the pleasure of seeing a game at the old Three Rivers Stadium, PNC park is soooo much nicer.

Same with Heinz Field.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post

The study may not be definitive but it certainly raises a red flag. And the author doesn't have the greatest credentials for evaluating this kind of work.

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    interested in opinions from people residing in mountain towns... my specific scenario concerns Leavenworth WA, but guessing it applies more generically to other towns. Current guidance for state of WA is "Staying home is still safest". Leavenworth is open for business with restrictions... 50% capacity outdoor dining, etc. My family of four from Seattle suburb area is considering whether we should keep a planned trip to Leavenworth in two weeks. We're leaning towards NOT going. What do Leavenworth or other similar mountain town residents prefer? Do you prefer a very responsible family of four, that adheres to distancing, masking and hygiene guidance to a fault, visit for a few days mid-week and spend money? Or do you prefer we stay home. I'm genuinely curious, the Leavenworth.org info site encourages visits but that's not surprising as its probably run by chamber of commerce. Live webcams indicate people are behaving, crowds are low. What do the residents and business owners, employees think? thanks.

I don’t really have a problem with responsible tourist. Especially if they are familiar with the area and know the ropes.

That being said. I just canceled a trip to McCall/Sun Valley with my college roommate from FL. They’re coming to Aspen instead, where I can control our exposure.

Go. Be safe. Enjoy.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Just wear a mask, wash your hands, keep your distance, be patient with employees, and tip excessively.

https://www.piquenewsmagazine.com/se...QGIE5a1ZvUZvI8

SAR action in the sea to sky corridor, buddy talks about the different patterns compared to last year

In spite of not doing those calls in march/april/may the numbers are still strong
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

For perspective I'm up in Winthrop. Selfishly I'd prefer no one came, but my job is not dependant at all upon tourism. Realisticly there have been more tourists this year than other years and despite the high numbers there has been no corresponding bump in covid #s so I'd say you should go on your trip.

Plus I'd way rather a conscientious family of four goes in their vacation midweek than 2(more) jackass Harley riders on a weekend. Or any day for that matter.

Thanks for thinking of some of the residents.
    Last edited by John_B; 08-14-2020 at 04:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    https://www.piquenewsmagazine.com/se...QGIE5a1ZvUZvI8

SAR action in the sea to sky corridor, buddy talks about the different patterns compared to last year

In spite of not doing those calls in march/april/may the numbers are still strong
    Sounds like Canukistanis can be as careless/clueless as Americanos...

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    The study may not be definitive but it certainly raises a red flag. And the author doesn't have the greatest credentials for evaluating this kind of work.
    I've voiced my irritation with that study in the other thread and won't go into huge detail here, but (speaking as someone who has done a few tests of flow through semi-porous objects, if credentials matter) that technique seems almost designed to generate bad data. Which the 110% number is, as they indicate with huge error bars (far bigger than 10%--any undergrad lab student should see those and conclude that small sample/big variation is a better explanation than all that hand waving they came up with).

Or consider that they only measure a plane right in front of the speaker: the poorest fitting/leakiest mask, made from the highest resistance material will always flow the least particles through that plane. Because the rest will go around through any gaps they can find, which are completely unmeasured. This likely makes the N95 look better than it is (especially if it's poorly fitted), but certainly makes the difference between that and a buff (which seals well but flows freely) look far bigger than it is.

Better masks need better science.

I’m going to try outdoor recreation on Tuesday, at Timberline. Birthday skiing.

Between my beard, which makes a buff non-workable, and my helmet, which will need to be removed to put on or take off an over-the-ear mask, I need to find a workable style of mask...