Page 6 of 70 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by WaistDeepGroomers View Post
    I've also tried to encourage folks who are getting out and getting after it (namely b/c they live in mountain communities) NOT to post about it on social to keep the FOMO down for as many people as possible. We're more of a community in these activities than many other segments of the population and have the opportunity & responsibility to set high standards for ourselves in this time that requires some unfamiliar types of selflessness (i.e. do nothing).
    ^^^
    This

We've had an extended and ongoing conversation about this among my b/c partners and have all agreed amongst ourselves not to go into the backcountry til this is over. Drove an hour earlier this week to skin our little "local" hill here in Maine but I do feel that that is borderline too much just based on the drive alone. Sticking to 5/10 biking, surfing, and yoga to loosen my frigged hips up and putting energy into neglected house projects.
    I'm planning to keep skinning at one or both of the ski areas that are within 15 minutes of home, but I'm also getting more and more nervous that other people being idiots is going to get them closed. To some degree, deciding what "local" means is an exercise that has to be left to the reader—in Montana, you might be used to driving an hour to get to a real grocery store, so that may still seem local—but that I can't truly call the White Mountains (and particularly Mt. Washington) "local" was the final nail in the coffin for getting over there this spring. The greater risk profile in alpine terrain versus on closed ski areas also played into that thinking, but the impact of not having grooming is quickly becoming apparent at the closed ski areas, too.

I've also tried to encourage folks who are getting out and getting after it (namely b/c they live in mountain communities) NOT to post about it on social to keep the FOMO down for as many people as possible. We're more of a community in these activities than many other segments of the population and have the opportunity & responsibility to set high standards for ourselves in this time that requires some unfamiliar types of selflessness (i.e. do nothing).
    +2. If things are sketchier than expected (like the f***ing skating rink conditions lurking under the fresh snow last week), I may post that. But otherwise I'm trying to minimize any posting that I think could encourage people to travel to visit, because the travel is the problem. I mean, if you're a newbie, yesterday's snow conditions probably weren't going to be very friendly, either, but it's more the travel that needs to be discouraged.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    Meanwhile the brobrah who runs our ski hill was out lapping runs towing his buddies up the hill behind the work sleds and having a big party inside the closed ski area hanging out in groups in front of all his shafted customers hiking and skinning. Tracking up the hill towing with the sleds super fast while his customers have to hike.
    I call him out on it and get banned from the property for 12 months for “disrespecting him and his staff”
    So no ski season next year, basically, because we don’t really have bc here and I can’t leave town very often to go ski 100 miles away.
    Isn't Michigan a shelter in place state? If it applies in the wilds of the UP turn the fucker in.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Isn't Michigan a shelter in place state? If it applies in the wilds of the UP turn the fucker in.
    Marquette Mountain is private property --
    authorized by the owner, the manager can do what he wants on private property - and claiming that they are closing the business for the season will excuse anyone who is there With the manager a range of accusations...

pertaining to a different post above ( or posts ) ...
    assault is not a non-violent charge.
    charged with assault, one might sit in jail indefinitely right now...

The 2020-2021 season is a long way off -
    there is no guarantee the manager is going to be back next season - And continuing to GRIND on this now ( March2020 ) is only going to have a bad outcome...
    Please , Please set this aside until at least September.

I offer empathy , and
    I believe the situation needs peacefulness, Not an escalation of conflict.

Respectfully : tj

Here is a follow-up to my PM.: https://www.parkrecord.com/news/park...ice-attention/
    Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    that's kind of surprising, thought trail access was fine? or are these big groups?
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Did not know there was an assault charge pending. Just commenting on what is happening here in my town, now

Thanks.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

I think people were parking in the road, not recognizing that once in a blue moon they need to get rescue stuff up there. I just got back from a tour with my kids and we were first tracks on a ridge above town, so the lockdown seems to be cutting down traffic. The stores have food again. The slow crawl back to normalcy may be in process? Fingers crossed

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    I'm glad this thread is here, good to read everyone's opinions and personal choices being made. I think I've decided (that sounds definitive doesn't it) to not mtb for awhile. I'm fortunate to have decent trails I ride to from my door (eastside seattle area) so very much in the 'keep it local' vein. I realized last weekend despite a lot of caution and effort on my part, its a bit hard to practice true social distancing on legit single track when there are other like minded people out. So that, plus the 'I may fuck up while riding really safe' factor adds up to stay off local mtb trails for awhile. Ironically, road riding right now seems far safer due to the reduced traffic. Thankfully its very easy for me to get a lot of vert in and stay within 5 to 10 miles of my house. Without regular intense exercise I'd go bat shit. Stay safe everyone.

I just read San Juan county sheriff is writing $500 tickets for parked cars with non San Juan plates. I hope every San Juan resident who goes shopping outside of San Juan county gets a $500 ticket.

While I agree we should all dial it back a good bit, the above does seem pretty extreme.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    I just read San Juan county sheriff is writing $500 tickets for parked cars with non San Juan plates. I hope every San Juan resident who goes shopping outside of San Juan county gets a $500 ticket.

While I agree we should all dial it back a good bit, the above does seem pretty extreme.
    Not really, they had some skier triggered avalanches that hit roads that lead up to the enforcement they're doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    Did not know there was an assault charge pending.
    It’s not, there isn’t. I’ve pled guilty to disorderly conduct, even though I did nothing wrong, because it was the least expensive, least risky, most reasonable way to get on with life. I have to wait indefinitely for sentencing now, which just extends this bullshit process even further.

So if you recently moved to San Juan County, or live there part of the time, you are just screwed if they see an out of state plate? I'm not sure how the enforcement is working here.

It’s not, there isn’t. I’ve pled guilty to disorderly conduct, even though I did nothing wrong, because it was the least expensive, least risky, most reasonable way to get on with life. I have to wait indefinitely for sentencing now, which just extends this bullshit process even further.

unreal.

why is it so hard for you to understand these small towns don’t want your city covid? Have you seen the number of cases in Summit County Utah (Park City)? Almost half the positive covid cases in Idaho are in Blaine county (Sun Valley). I’m know other resort towns have been hit hard too. They have a high percentage rate of covid per capital. I’m pretty sure it was tourist who gave them the gift of covid in the first place.

According to our town attorney trying to ban people from another town, county, state is unconstitutional. Doubt anyone is going to take a $500 parking ticket to the SCOTUS.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Lahey View Post
    why is it so hard for you to understand these small towns don’t want your city covid? Have you seen the number of cases in Summit County Utah (Park City)? Almost half the positive covid cases in Idaho are in Blaine county (Sun Valley). I’m know other resort towns have been hit hard too. They have a high percentage rate of covid per capital. I’m pretty sure it was tourist who gave them the gift of covid in the first place.
    What in the fuck are you talking about. City Covid?
    are you retarded?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Thanks for that clarification. Best wishes.

Oh and fuck that guy from Mq Mtn.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    What in the fuck are you talking about. City Covid?
    are you retarded?
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

I am very sympathetic to those whose lives are being impacted :
    I have a dear friend who works in health care who is recovering at home from covid, and other (dear) friends who are quarantined ( across the country / two thousand miles away ) ;

what I am not seeing in these posts about local law enforcement action is the awareness that under executive Stay-at-Home / shelter-in-Place (executive) Orders, normal procedures - normal 'civil rights' - are set-aside by ' state of Emergency' rules that give broad discretion to government and law enforcement for principles intended 'for the greater good'.

I am Not claiming that in any instance are these actions proper - I am only trying to bring to attention the fact that these are not normal circumstances and likely without exception, our governing documents ( State constitutions and State statutes ) allow the actions being taken.

it seems crazy... and in some cases(,) it may be crazy, and
    I urge each of us to do what we can to impede the spread of this disease ( I believe the spread of this virus we are going to see in the next two weeks is going to be surprising and startling - and it is going to be under reported as is shown in other threads by the anecdotal reports of people who were sick for 3-5 days who recovered over three weeks, having never been tested ( I believe we will see more of this ) ...

Please... Please... do what you can to impede the spread of this disease-

governing laws allow great authority under 'state of Emergency' executive Orders
    ( I am Not claiming it is right, I am only attempting to bring it to attention )

Be well ;
    Please : Be Safe. tj

Quote Originally Posted by chaka View Post
    I'm glad this thread is here, good to read everyone's opinions and personal choices being made. I think I've decided (that sounds definitive doesn't it) to not mtb for awhile. I'm fortunate to have decent trails I ride to from my door (eastside seattle area) so very much in the 'keep it local' vein. I realized last weekend despite a lot of caution and effort on my part, its a bit hard to practice true social distancing on legit single track when there are other like minded people out. So that, plus the 'I may fuck up while riding really safe' factor adds up to stay off local mtb trails for awhile. Ironically, road riding right now seems far safer due to the reduced traffic. Thankfully its very easy for me to get a lot of vert in and stay within 5 to 10 miles of my house. Without regular intense exercise I'd go bat shit. Stay safe everyone.
    This ^^^

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Lahey View Post
    Why is it so hard to understand that the COVID in small towns is just as likely from some yokel shopping at Walmart in the big city for all the things not available in said small town?

Is said yokel needs major medical care you can bet they will be airlifted to a big hospital, whether that care is traumatic of corona virus related.

I understand not overly impacting local services, but this bans and tickets are bullshit. Just as it would be ban small town folk from coming to the city.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

At least the city folk have teeth.

Why is it so hard to understand that the COVID in small towns is just as likely from some yokel shopping at Walmart in the big city for all the things not available in said small town?

Is said yokel needs major medical care you can bet they will be airlifted to a big hospital, whether that care is traumatic of corona virus related.

I understand not overly impacting local services, but this bans and tickets are bullshit. Just as it would be ban small town folk from coming to the city.
    Do any mountain towns in California take extraordinary measures to preserve life and property during wildfires?

Hastily constructed a sit ski option for an uber safe downhilling option for workout laps up/down a local sled packed logging road. Hike and drag skis for the up, pop the plywood in the binders, place backpack on it and sit with legs splayed/boots resting on ski shovels. Used the handle of my avy shovel for the brake. Worked pretty good for deeply incised sled track sections but, gonna have to add some fins to the skis for true directional stability. Plywood busted hitting a minor compression near the bottom of the run, so gonna have to figure out a more robust design for version 2.0. Twas pretty fun, actually...adult G.T. snowracer kinda/sorta like feelz....and truth be told, was nice not having to buckle the ski boots for the down. Just put 'er into low gear, dragged/modulated the brake, kicked back and just watched the world go by, stress free.

Name:  P1130059.jpg
Views: 789
Size:  191.3 KB

Name:  P1120744.JPG
Views: 740
Size:  195.8 KB
    Master of mediocrity.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    At least the city folk have teeth.

Is Detroit a city?