Page 16 of 70 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast
    Yesterday, the town council of Alta imposed mandatory 14 day quarantine on all non-Utards (i.e. second homeowners). Also, the sheriff stated that on weekends 500-600 cars are being parked in the Collins parking lot each day. That's a lot of hikers.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Did the Utah governor start a stay at home order, or are they just being assholes? There are a lot of people in Utah already with COVID.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Did the Utah governor start a stay at home order, or are they just being assholes? There are a lot of people in Utah already with COVID.
    The governor issued a stay at home "directive," but Salt Lake County has a stay at home order, with the standard somewhat-vague exception for recreation and exercise.

The Ethics of Outdorr Recreation in Times of COVID-19

various UT pols are actively encouraging outdoor recreation, so don’t get your panties too twisted about it up on that high horse. don’t worry though all us good citizens are calling our representatives daily begging them to check this thread.

Judging from what I'm seeing on Facebook, the number of people who can't understand that skiing (or pick your choice of inherently risky form of exercise) can be done in a minimal-risk manner, in places near your home and thus consistent with the guidance from most states, seems to be matched by the number of people who can't figure out what "near your home" and "low-risk manner" mean, given the overall situation in society. So as usual, this is why we can't have nice things.

Sent from my SM-G892A using TGR Forums mobile app

The move here is to shit on BC skiing because it is so dangerous, and tell people to go cycling or MTB instead.

They are right. Everyone should stay down in the valley and ride their bike, right mall walker?

The Ethics of Outdorr Recreation in Times of COVID-19

^ absolutely. since you can bike from your house, and since nobody ever gets hurt biking or running especially on trails near where they live, it’s the socially responsible thing to do. a veterinarian online told me so.

in other news another ~1800 people died of heart disease today. let’s all be responsible and doordash some more mcdonald’s about it.

Quote Originally Posted by anotherVTskibum View Post
    Judging from what I'm seeing on Facebook, the number of people who can't understand that skiing (or pick your choice of inherently risky form of exercise) can be done in a minimal-risk manner, in places near your home and thus consistent with the guidance from most states, seems to be matched by the number of people who can't figure out what "near your home" and "low-risk manner" mean, given the overall situation in society. So as usual, this is why we can't have nice things.
    maggs --

of the posts on this page,
    I believe VT's has the most merit --

I see Patience wearing thin - maggs who in better times . . .
    one of the calls I do appreciate is :
    we Are all in this together --

as I hear the number of deaths has tripled in a week, and
    they are calling for all ventilators in NY state to be transported to NYC...

and then
    there are two deaths in three days off Teton Pass from avalanches, leading to responses by Many in SAR --

I believe when we look back at this, the risks and costs associated with " outdoor exercise " is going to be one of the things that missed it's mark :
    too many situations led to too many gatherings , and

too many injuries to people who did not effectively manage their Risk - or (just did not care )
    ( and then there are idiots like me who had a near - fall on ice on Friday that was eerily similar to the fall that broke my leg two years ago ... )

so here is my plea in this thread about the ethics of outdoor recreation during this health crisis :
    - try to be Patient - Remember about opinions --
    ( and even those I don't agree with,
    the holder Is entitled to his opinion ) ;
    - each has the Right within the [Rules of the day] to make personal choices - and it is very important that my risk not become your risk.

I have great Respect for those who are stepping-up to try to contribute in creative ways and contribute in ways that are outside your normal roles - kudos and Positive vibes to you - and Thank you...

for now,

be well -
    Please, be Safe. tj

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    But where would we be without prayer?

Waaaiiit a second...
    The Baby Jesus' blood cures all diseases! I'm selling' 2 oz. vials of his precious bodily fluids for $399 (10% discount of ordering over 500 vials); almost as good Bat Blood for ONLY $199 (no volume discount).

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    The move here is to shit on BC skiing because it is so dangerous, and tell people to go cycling or MTB instead.

They are right. Everyone should stay down in the valley and ride their bike, right mall walker?

I am not sure how back country skiers or skiing is being shit upon.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

^^^ i think all are just hoping/wishing that all would throttle it way back.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
    This guy’s managing to get some turns in even with the current situation
    Ha. I posted that over in the Tahoe thread. Making sure it gets quoted for this page. We caught onto it because my son has been working on making stop motion films over the past three weeks of lock down. Super well done.

We used to make photos of sidewalk crack climbing. Up to 5.18. That was berfore they invented movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    I am not sure how back country skiers or skiing is being shit upon.
    I meant here as in the Wasatch. Reading my post now I think I came off a bit hot. There's a trail advocacy group that's been making really weird posts on facebook and I guess I'm just over it.

My partner and I almost wrecked riding bikes around the neighborhood so there's that.

It is not that difficult. Despite what some conservative governors and saying, we should all "stay at home". All the real health experts are saying it. That means essential travel only. Now they are upgrading to minimize even trips to the grocery store. That does not mean driving to go to your local MTB, hike, climb, or ski spot. It's not difficult to comprehend, or at least it shouldn't be, but judging by many responses here it is. Doing this will save lives, period. If you think you are more i.portant then everybody else, then continue doing what you are doing. Sure it sucks being bored stiff, and a short run out our front door doesn't seem like enough, but it won't be forever. Listen to the experts, it is that simple.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Stay in a bubble. Stay close to home...no need to drive hours away in this strange new world we live in. Discover the trails in your own town/city...this is not the time to seek “big adventure”...nature and outdoor recreation can look like a lot of things

Quote Originally Posted by MMMSKI View Post
    Stay in a bubble. Stay close to home...no need to drive hours away in this strange new world we live in. Discover the trails in your own town/city...this is not the time to seek “big adventure”...nature and outdoor recreation can look like a lot of things
    Yep, I've been riding the road bike around neighborhoods in my area that I have never been into. It's kinda cool. There's some pretty good climbs and some ridiculously fancy expensive homes to look at.

It is not that difficult. Despite what some conservative governors and saying, we should all "stay at home". All the real health experts are saying it. That means essential travel only. Now they are upgrading to minimize even trips to the grocery store. That does not mean driving to go to your local MTB, hike, climb, or ski spot. It's not difficult to comprehend, or at least it shouldn't be, but judging by many responses here it is. Doing this will save lives, period. If you think you are more i.portant then everybody else, then continue doing what you are doing. Sure it sucks being bored stiff, and a short run out our front door doesn't seem like enough, but it won't be forever. Listen to the experts, it is that simple.
    See I don't think it's as cut and dried as you've suggested.

I find the messaging to be inconsistent at best, at least in my area.

I'm 100% sure that on my bike ride today (in the city) I was not closer than 8 feet to anyone, didn't touch one shared surface, and had a great day, safely.

I'm equally certain I could do the same with a short drive to a local trail network by just wiping down the gas pump (if i even need to use it).

I am socially distancing.

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

^ don’t bother, some people here have lost their minds completely and decided that going outside by yourself is the same as injecting everyone in the fetal ICU with a rusty AIDS needle. no time for details when there’s moralizing on the internet to be done.

Traffic rebounding to near-normal here.
    (I’m “essential”, out driving in it)

Seeing a surprising number of motorcycles. 2 guys were out riding around the other day, I think everyone saw them and boom: intense FOMO.... 2 days later motos left and right. smh

Also, my bike commute is totally annoying with pathways choked with walkers and cyclists.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    Traffic rebounding to near-normal here.
    (I’m “essential”, out driving in it)

Seeing a surprising number of motorcycles. 2 guys were out riding around the other day, I think everyone saw them and boom: intense FOMO.... 2 days later motos left and right. smh
    That's exactly what I'm going to do.

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post

in other news another ~1800 people died of heart disease today. let’s all be responsible and doordash some more mcdonald’s about it.
    Hey I was one of those people almost and I've got almost 500 miles on the car this week driving around having fun feel free to blow me

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Sheldon wouldn't obey social distancing guidelines and be led into the vet so hes not gitting rabies and dystria shots now
    I thought of you and smiled
    you know have skied with my personal health expert and spanser and broke bread in the abode bout as "real" as it gets huh? feel free to debate the level of her expertise if it helps your sjw case
    im not allowed to shop cept online im still crankin 40's out as an essential with the dog by my side
    im still gonna to exercise by rowing and exercising fish as essential to my physical and mental health with my personal health experts blessings.

“My advice is, do not try to inhabit another's soul. You have your own.”
    ― Jim Harrison, Songs of Unreason

“Wherever we go we do harm, forgiving
    ourselves as wheels do cement for wearing
    each other out. We set this house
    on fire, forgetting that we live within.

(from "To a Meadowlark," for M.L. Smoker)”
    ― Jim Harrison

essentails and risks are personal choices
    I know I made a choice to serve the country to protect the freedoms of such
    stay safe
    and

“It is easy to forget that in the main we die only seven times more slowly than our dogs.”
    ― Jim Harrison, The Road Home
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno