Page 22 of 70 FirstFirst ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... LastLast
    I think geographic location and common sense can play a role here. If you are fortunate enough to live in an area with lower population density (or just know your area well), it's very likely and not unreasonable to go for a hike, walk, ride your bike, or go for a tour within 20 minutes of your home and not come within 100 feet of another human. If you live in NYC, you can't leave your home without coming in to contact with objects other humans touch.

I don't know about others, but the anxiety and hysteria of sitting inside all day staring at the internet is overwhelming at times. I'm a healthcare worker in an area still a couple of weeks out from our prospective peak and sit nervously at work waiting with my coworkers, trying to prepare for the storm. It is agonizing. I'm primarily in the ED or ICU and do COVID-19 testing on at least a couple of people each day I work. Fortunately very few are very sick so far. I'm not seeing my parents or siblings though they live 15 minutes away because I know I work in a high risk environment. Grocery shop as little as possible. However, I also go for a walk with my toddler son almost every day, have skied a bit after recent storms, husband will ride his bike at night. Maybe I'm a selfish spreader? I don't think any of these things would be reasonably possible if we lived in New York or LA, but we don't. Frankly, for my mental fortitude I need some of this within reason and have enough common sense to make decisions against crowded places or to walk on the other side of the street if I see anyone else coming. I also have the power to tell people to back the eff up if they get too close. I just don't think this is a black or white situation. I am expecting this to go on for months more, expecting to get utterly crushed at work at some point. Some fresh air with common sense could do a lot of us some good I think. If the quarters are getting too close for comfort then go home or pick a different path. It's not that difficult.
    So hot right now

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    I think you just distilled how I feel about this thread with this one sentence.
    Me too.

There is nuance in everything, even this. Suggesting there isn't is absurd.

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

danno arent you a tele skier?
    i def agree that nobody should be out there skiing on half a binding

im on team mall walker. just keep doing your thing man and stop feeding the trolls

Would this be a good time to not mention that our local mtb trails are riding nice and tacky after last week's rain and snow? Or that my buddy and my vehicles comprised 67% of the parking? Or that the lady driving the other vehicle had a really nice butt?* Or that we saw four other people in two hours, and none after the first 10 minutes?

Carry on with the poo flinging...

*At least it appeared so from a respectable distance.

I'm curious if there's any enforcement. The closest National Forest closed 3/31, but they posted that all "developed" trailheads and campgrounds are closed. Planning on sneaking in a quick overnight trip tomorrow. It's all closed roads and bushwack up to treeline. We'll see if there's a ticket on the windshield when I get back.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    I think you just distilled how I feel about this thread with this one sentence.

+1

Quote Originally Posted by lowsparkco View Post
    I'm curious if there's any enforcement. The closest National Forest closed 3/31, but they posted that all "developed" trailheads and campgrounds are closed. Planning on sneaking in a quick overnight trip tomorrow. It's all closed roads and bushwack up to treeline. We'll see if there's a ticket on the windshield when I get back.
    The whole NF closed, or just the developed facilities at trailheads? Which NF?
    Trails are open in the Deschutes, but the toilets, huts, docks, etc are closed up.

Cross posting from the Tahoe thread

Nevada County Sheriff SAR event finding a lost skier on Saturday (from the SAR FB page)
    Saturday afternoon the Nevada County Sheriff's Office received a call of a back-country skier who was lost in the high-country of Nevada County, northeast of Castle Peak. With a severe winter storm closing in, NCSSAR answered the call and began search operations from the incident command post at Boreal Ski Resort

Cellphone contact with the subject was established, and his location was known to be northwest of Frog Lake. Snowmobiles were initially deployed, but found the dense tree cover and the steep chasms caused by open streams too much to overcome.

A Nordic rescue team deployed from Donner Pass rest area, and climbed up over the 8,600' pass in whiteout and semi-whiteout conditions to reach the subject on the far side at 8,200'. As the storm hit, the avalanche conditions greatly increased. The rescue team witnessed two avalanches, and a team member was caught in a third small slab avalanche he triggered. Thankfully, the searcher was unharmed.

After locating the subject, the Nordic team had to retrace their tracks to avoid even higher risk avalanche areas. All teams and the subject made it safely out in the middle of the night.

This incident is stark reminder of what is at risk when venturing into the back-country right before a winter storm. If it was not for the great skill, unwavering dedication, and heroism of the teams who answered the call that night, this would have a different ending.

#staysafe
    #bewise
    #stayathome
    #soothersmaylive

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    sacrifices
    like that sum gave all
    all gave sums
    stuffs?
    well yeah
    cept I aint gonna ramble bout the physicals and mental mindfucks it takes or my personal sacrifices
    for me and im gonna be surprised if others tell you different
    its about an oath
    and you don't gits to pick smart ones, dumb ones, vocal or silent, instasprayfucks or smjw, ethical or morally corrupts to saints, tycoons to bums
    it covers defending everymotherfuckinbodies rights of assloads of things within the laws and the country
    this should be a location based whats essential to you day to day choice
    im gonna try and quit and respond to pm's post dog stoke etc
    im gonna fish until I don't feel comfortable doin it
    fuck dannos stoke moratorium
    post what ya want new ,old, post whatever
    stoke gives me faith and hope
    the smjw crap not so much at least not here
    peace be with you yours and the decisions you make and how much you need to share

I hope to magbake4bob
    at the djongo j hole down next winter and add to my I skied with maggot list
    with those who believe in such
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

The national parks in Canada are more or less closed - highways through the parks are open but parking, campsites and all facilities are closed. So unless you are biking or hiking into the park from outside the boundary, they are off limits.
    The BC provincial parks are mixed, with all facilities and camping areas closed. Backcountry is open in most cases. Need to visit the individual park website to find out what is open.
    The BC forest rec sites and trails have ordered most trail maintainers closed (ie snowmobile trail grooming societies), and camp sites that are actively maintained closed. Backcountry sites and trails are 'open' but gatherings could be broken up by the COS/RCMP. Interestingly, while the local sled club is shut down for grooming, the local ski trails (also managed under the Rec Sites & Trails) is still active, but there are no posts on social media advertising their status.
    Requests for assistance in the backcountry are about the same for this time of year, but as the snow melts and roads and areas open back up to vehicle traffic, we'll see how it goes.
    There are a few cars from the city 120km away traveling up to visit the falls, and visiting the local grocery to get supplies they can't find in the city. No COVID-19 cases yet in our local hospital. Blue River/upper N.Thompson/Valemount heli ski companies have been shuttered since Mar 17th.

For SFB

Quote Originally Posted by lowsparkco View Post
    The closest National Forest closed 3/31, but they posted that all "developed" trailheads and campgrounds are closed.
    NF not closed, developed facilities closed. That being said, park somewhere smart and out of the way. Never seen a USFS LEO in the State of Jefferson, btw.

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    For SFB
    Hopefully for us all. Be well.

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    sacrifices
    like that sum gave all
    all gave sums
    stuffs?
    well yeah
    cept I aint gonna ramble bout the physicals and mental mindfucks it takes or my personal sacrifices
    for me and im gonna be surprised if others tell you different
    its about an oath
    and you don't gits to pick smart ones, dumb ones, vocal or silent, instasprayfucks or smjw, ethical or morally corrupts to saints, tycoons to bums
    it covers defending everymotherfuckinbodies rights of assloads of things within the laws and the country
    this should be a location based whats essential to you day to day choice
    im gonna try and quit and respond to pm's post dog stoke etc
    im gonna fish until I don't feel comfortable doin it
    fuck dannos stoke moratorium
    post what ya want new ,old, post whatever
    stoke gives me faith and hope
    the smjw crap not so much at least not here
    peace be with you yours and the decisions you make and how much you need to share

I hope to magbake4bob
    at the djongo j hole down next winter and add to my I skied with maggot list
    with those who believe in such
    Anyone know whatever happened to Andy?
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Thanks, brotha...
    Time spent skiing cannot be deducted from one's life.

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    Would this be a good time to not mention that our local mtb trails are riding nice and tacky after last week's rain and snow? Or that my buddy and my vehicles comprised 67% of the parking? Or that the lady driving the other vehicle had a really nice butt?* Or that we saw four other people in two hours, and none after the first 10 minutes?

Carry on with the poo flinging...

*At least it appeared so from a respectable distance.
    Why do you think there were so few people there?

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    They were making room for the real mountain bikers.

Only the weak hide from the outdoors during this time of crisis.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Star View Post
    Never seen a USFS LEO in the State of Jefferson, btw.
    While rare, they definitely exist and are out and about on the regular. Too much area for them to cover, though.

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by S_jenks View Post
    They were making room for the real mountain bikers.

Only the weak hide from the outdoors during this time of crisis.
    Or because this is a small out of the way tourist town but no tourists are tourin? Or because this is a 40+ mile system with several trailheads? Or because it was a nice day and people got out earlier? Or maybe they went after 5pm, since it’s light out until 7pm? Or because many live close by and don’t drive to the trailhead? Or maybe they were doing gravel rides, or road rides up to where the old highway is blocked by snow?

Or, maybe it was uncrowded before the Covid.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Star View Post
    NF not closed, developed facilities closed. That being said, park somewhere smart and out of the way. Never seen a USFS LEO in the State of Jefferson, btw.
    That's what I was getting at, although some of the NF's are considering trails to be developed recreational access. Not the TH, not the road, the trail itself. I'm using access on a road that is closed to motorized vehicles, then a bushwack. Unfortunately the parking is right off the paved road. No real way to hide the truck. We'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    The rural/urban and high population density vs low density areas, coupled with entitlement/FOMO/insensitivity are really starting to get interesting. I can’t wait to have this conversation compounded in a year or so when we see the climate change impacts of so many people not being able to get out after their desired means of recreation. The ‘do as I say, not as I do’ crowd notwithstanding
    It's really bringing out people's inner Stasi. Like a fine glow

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    Attachment 324311

Not sure that will show up but its from the UT governor's office about enjoying responsible recreation. It specifically mentions <1 hr drive which is the first I've seen a number put on it.
    I think that's a rather large number for some parts of the country (and not a particularly big one for others). One thing I've been trying to figure out is what a reasonable metric is; Vermont's governor said "10-mile radius of home", which seems reasonable for most parts of Vermont, especially if that's air miles rather than road miles. I'd say "within coverage of the same hospital/EMS system as your home" is a decent metric, too.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	91782310_10158232825930030_4611943329918091264_o.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	83.0 KB 
ID:	324454

Responsible?
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Salt Lake City Mayor: stay at home will be in place until memorial day.
    https://www.fox13now.com/news/corona...l-memorial-day

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	91782310_10158232825930030_4611943329918091264_o.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	83.0 KB 
ID:	324454

Responsible?
    I say if you’re gonna go for it right now go big. Go solo, turn your beacon off, let some hikers find your body in August.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums