Page 20 of 70 FirstFirst ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    can someone get ee cummings here a word processor?
    let him make his own decisions about capital letters. now piss off.

or just piss off and let people make their own decisions. if people are breaking laws well, that's why we have a legal system.
    America in a nutshell.

Great podcast from NHPR's Outside/In about this exact debate here: http://outsideinradio.org/shows/insidein
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

upon further review,

TMI --

be well -
    Please, be Safe.

Peace to you. tj

Quote Originally Posted by nwslider View Post
    Have people considered the areas they are traveling to in order to recreate are reasonably uncrowded because many people are actually following the stay at home orders?
    please take your rational reasoning someplace else ....

"we all do dumb shit when we're fucked up"
    mike tyson

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    Where I live is not the point.

I am going to piss off now, best of luck.
    No, it’s exactly the point.

Name:  IMG_1681.JPG
Views: 861
Size:  98.4 KB

Not sure that will show up but its from the UT governor's office about enjoying responsible recreation. It specifically mentions <1 hr drive which is the first I've seen a number put on it.

I know 42 other governors who would disagree with that...not mention just about every public. health expert. One month ago just about everybody would have agreed, and hopefully in a month, give or take, we will be back to such recommendations.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

more prancercising!

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    I know 42 other governors who would disagree with that...not mention just about every public. health expert. One month ago just about everybody would have agreed, and hopefully in a month, give or take, we will be back to such recommendations.
    Dude, you know a lot of governors.

I’m confident that when we have the clarity of time and distance from this pandemic, the experts will all agree; this could’ve been stopped in it’s tracks had only mallwalker quit skiing in February.
    Last edited by zion zig zag; 04-06-2020 at 12:59 PM.

Live free or die.

Live free, let others die.

Respect is earned, respect is lost.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    rip kobe
    you earned your respect
    amd black mambaed out fore
    shit got real yo
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Live free or die.

Live free, let others die.

Respect is earned, respect is lost.
    AGAIN: we aren't talking about coughing on the elderly here, we are talking about doing something that maybe sometimes if you are greatly unlucky, once in a very very great while, results in needing medical care or SAR or something. Going to the supermarket an extra trip every other week definitely exposes you and others more often. Going to the coffee shop down the street definitely exposes you and others more. A buddy of mine just this morning was texting me, he broke his toe stepping on a toy his kid left in the stairs and had to go to the ER, should we ban childrens toys? Are you gonna accuse him of murdering your relatives because his kids don't pick their shit up? Come on. This constant sleight of hand transformation in this thread from "going out in the wilderness" to "killing other people" via the critical transformations "and having a severe accident" / "and exposing others to COVID or depriving others of medical resources (because hospitals cannot triage...?)" is fucking ludicrous. How many days have you spent outdoors in the mountains? I've spent countless thousands over the years and I've never had to be helped out by anyone, no less SAR, nor have I suffered any injury requiring medical care that I did not provide to myself. Not to say it can't happen, but this is the hill you judgy old fucks are dying on?

Newsflash: nearly everything we do in this society is selfish. Driving an extra mile to go to Whole Foods when there's a Kroger closer is selfish. Spending an extra 10 mins in the store because you want to find the ripest avocado is selfish. Going to the supermarket at all when you could get by just eating rice for another week is selfish. Making a separate Amazon order (causing 2 shipments, 2 delivery drivers, etc) is selfish; probably ordering the fucking thing in the first place is selfish; but wait is not spending money also selfish, because you're harming the economy? Living an unhealthy lifestyle and thus needlessly burdening the healthcare system down the line is selfish. Owning a car, even just riding in a car, is selfish. If you really want to get into the weeds of the ethics of the selfishness of our behavior as a modern society, get into it by all means - having kids, eating meat ever, drinking alcohol ever, any sort of recreation of any type (wasting electricity to watch tv) etc are all selfish and all harm others to degrees. If you want to try to quantify them, don't exempt your personal shit just because it happens in your fucking home, make a genuine holistic assessment of your life. How many times a week do you go to the grocery store? How many packages did you have delivered last week? Did you order takeout and drive to pick it up, if so how far did you go? Are you making sure to order from the nearby Thai place, even though the one a few miles further away has the spring rolls you like? Don't just puff your chest out like some ridiculous caricature of a holy man and act like anyone who takes in what is happening and then makes different personal decisions than you make is thoughtless or stupid, and don't act like you are making every possible sacrifice for the greater good yourselves. As long as you're still living in a house with electricity and eating food beyond what you found in an old cabinet you're maybe, at best, making the sacrifices that are comfortable for you to make. Get the fuck over yourselves.

By all means, stay socially distant, I sure as shit have been. But gimme a fucking break with this self-righteousness.

Mall walker
    way to go I support you
    the shaming and the bullshit is so deep I can barely get around anymore
    was told by the dr that I am high risk????? darn you can see I'm deeply affected by the lable
    so much I"d like to really say but well it's not appropriate and I don't want to out myself too much
    today like most days, I"m screwed cause I need to work, but ski, bike, travel, so many options for later today

AGAIN: we aren't talking about coughing on the elderly here, we are talking about doing something that maybe sometimes if you are greatly unlucky, once in a very very great while, results in needing medical care or SAR or something. Going to the supermarket an extra trip every other week definitely exposes you and others more often. Going to the coffee shop down the street definitely exposes you and others more. A buddy of mine just this morning was texting me, he broke his toe stepping on a toy his kid left in the stairs and had to go to the ER, should we ban childrens toys? Are you gonna accuse him of murdering your relatives because his kids don't pick their shit up? Come on. This constant sleight of hand transformation from "going out in the wilderness" to "killing other people" via the critical transformations "and having a severe accident" / "and exposing others to COVID or depriving others of medical resources (because hospitals cannot triage...?)" is fucking ludicrous. How many days have you spent outdoors in the mountains? I've spent countless thousands over the years and I've never had to be helped out by anyone, no less SAR, nor have I suffered any injury requiring medical care that I did not provide to myself. Not to say it can't happen, but this is the hill you judgy old fucks are dying on?

Newsflash: nearly everything we do in this society is selfish. Driving an extra mile to go to Whole Foods when there's a Kroger closer is selfish. Spending an extra 10 mins in the store because you want to find the ripest avocado is selfish. Going to the supermarket at all when you could get by just eating rice for another week is selfish. Making a separate Amazon order (causing 2 shipments, 2 delivery drivers, etc) is selfish; probably ordering the fucking thing in the first place is selfish. Living an unhealthy lifestyle and thus needlessly burdening the healthcare system down the line is selfish. Owning a car, even just riding in a car, is selfish. If you really want to get into the weeds of the ethics of the selfishness of our behavior as a modern society, get into it by all means - having kids, eating meat ever, drinking alcohol ever, any sort of recreation of any type (wasting electricity to watch tv) etc are all selfish and all harm others to degrees. If you want to try to quantify them, don't exempt your personal shit just because it happens in your fucking home, make a genuine holistic assessment of your life. How many times a week do you go to the grocery store? How many packages did you had delivered last week? Did you order takeout and drive to pick it up, if so how far did you go? Are you making sure to order from the nearby Thai place, even though the one a few miles further away has the spring rolls you like? Don't just puff your chest out like some ridiculous caricature and act like anyone who takes in what is happening and then makes different personal decisions than you make is thoughtless or stupid, and don't act like you are making every possible sacrifice for the greater good yourselves. As long as you're still living in a house with electricity and eating food beyond what you found in an old cabinet you're maybe, at best, making the sacrifices that are comfortable for you to make. Get the fuck over yourselves.

By all means, stay socially distant, I sure as shit have been. But gimme a fucking break with this self-righteousness.
    once every other week, doing curbside pickup. 2. Have not ordered takeout.

Yes, at root we're all selfish hypocrites, that's a news flash. And you do you. But as someone with elderly parents not able to leave their home, I am trying to do right by them and all other elderly parents out there. I sure as fuck don't like it, it sure as fuck isn't fun. And I sure as fuck wish I was skiing and biking regularly.

And it's not just that people (like you) are going out to recreate in places that "we" are being told not to, it's that people (like you) are making a big fucking deal about how you're doing it. My community -- like many others -- is very outdoors oriented, and everyone wants to get out. Some of us are, some of us aren't, and the ones who aren't are supporting the ones who are ("trails haven't been that busy", why is that?). But what's worse is that it seems like the ones who are cannot seem to get off of social media and cannot seem to stop spraying about how they're still getting out (but being safe about it).

Well, the reality is that their being safe is partly a function of the rest of us who are not getting out. And everyone thinks they're the smart safe one, I am sure that's what you're saying, and I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. But is everyone out there backcountry skiing being safe about it? How do we differentiate between the two? Look at how dumb the average person is, and realize that half of the people are dumber than that. Are we to assume that all people out backcountry skiing are the smart ones? Or are we just to assume that YOU are one of the smart ones.

If you keep doing what you're doing, as I am sure you will, whatever. But do you have to keep broadcasting how we're all self righteous sheeple for not doing it? Are you so damned sure that if we all did what you're doing that we'd all be safe? That none of us would be unwanted vectors? If you're not so sure of that, is it possible that maybe, just maybe, we're not stupid self-righteous sheeple? That we're trying to adhere to something that is really hard for us, that we're sacrificing things we enjoy for the greater good? And that it is actually doing some good? Because we're not all so smart and safe as you?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I shook some old guys hand today

is that worse than driving an hr and then mtn biking on black diamond trails?

Damn; who let the adult into our playroom??

Well said, Danno.

The rural/urban and high population density vs low density areas, coupled with entitlement/FOMO/insensitivity are really starting to get interesting. I can’t wait to have this conversation compounded in a year or so when we see the climate change impacts of so many people not being able to get out after their desired means of recreation. The ‘do as I say, not as I do’ crowd notwithstanding

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    I shook some old guys hand today

is that worse than driving an hr and then mtn biking on black diamond trails?
    Get back to us when you kiss Prancersizer on the lips. No tongue, though, that would be foolish.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    If you keep doing what you're doing, as I am sure you will, whatever. But do you have to keep broadcasting how we're all self righteous sheeple for not doing it? Are you so damned sure that if we all did what you're doing that we'd all be safe? That none of us would be unwanted vectors? If you're not so sure of that, is it possible that maybe, just maybe, we're not stupid self-righteous sheeple? That we're trying to adhere to something that is really hard for us, that we're sacrificing things we enjoy for the greater good? And that it is actually doing some good? Because we're not all so smart and safe as you?
    Do whatever you want, I don't give a fuck. I never said and don't think that you're being a sheep for changing your behavior (that'd be a tough one to extract from anything I've written anywhere in this thread or anywhere else), and I have changed my behavior plenty. But the notion that somehow "not going in the mountains" == "acting responsibly" is ridiculous. Getting on your stool to shriek about what a great person you are for giving up this one thing, but then making an extra trip to the supermarket afterwards, completely negates and then some whatever "sacrifice" you think you've made, as do many many other things plenty of people spouting off in this thread are doubtless still doing. That's my point: if you want to demand actual sacrifice, there's a lot of other shit that makes a much bigger impact that you're all mute about. What hutash etc are doing in this thread is picking one behavior, without even the pretense at a measurement of the impact it has vs other behaviors, and saying "this is the measuring stick of morality in this time of crisis," and it's a ridiculous device employed in order to brandish some morality stick. Again: get over yourselves.

What hutash etc are doing in this thread is picking one behavior, without even the pretense at a measurement of the impact it has vs other behaviors, and saying "this is the measuring stick of morality in this time of crisis," and it's ridiculous.
    I think you just distilled how I feel about this thread with this one sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Yup.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    #dannovirtuesignalswithparagraphsofdrival
    #mallwalkeronesentanceftw
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    x2