Page 17 of 70 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    Hey I was one of those people almost and I've got almost 500 miles on the car this week driving around having fun feel free to blow me
    What's gas in scummit? It's $1.89 here.

The people saying don't drive to recreate live close to places to recreate. The people who say it's ok don't. The point is staying away from other people. It's important to differentiate restrictions that actually impact the spread of the virus vs those that reflect a desire to keep "others" away from "our" goodies vs those that reflect a puritanical desire to ban any kind of fun while the pandemic is going on. (There's a reason people tell jokes and smile and eat and drink at a post funeral gathering.) Me having a good time in California isn't going to make any difference to the ICU nurse risking her life in NYC. Even in times like these, those who can should take as much pleasure as they can without spreading the virus or imposing a burden on the health care system. We owe it to those who are saving lives to live our lives as fully as we can, while we still have them, because tomorrow we may not.

I go out for a run and a road ride. I'm not saying you can't, but if hundreds of people are parking in LCC or similar places, that is not social distancing. Yes you can go to the store, but the point is to minimize any exposure to other people at this time. Massively crowded bike paths or sidewalks is bot social distancing. This virus is turning out to be a lot more contagious then originally thought, so we need to adjust accordingly. If everybody is going out to their favorite trailhead, then that is not social distancing. Use common sense. The more people are out and about,the more potential for spears. As much as I would like to go to my usual beach path run, there are just too many people there, so adjust. Some shit just needs to get done, just think about how you go about doing it. Lives are at stake here, and I don't mean figuratively.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Me having a good time in California isn't going to make any difference to the ICU nurse risking her life in NYC. Even in times like these, those who can should take as much pleasure as they can without spreading the virus or imposing a burden on the health care system. We owe it to those who are saving lives to live our lives as fully as we can, while we still have them, because tomorrow we may not.
    What you do in California, or Utah, or Wyomingdoes have an effect on he ICU nurse in NYC. If this were confined to just NYC I would agree with you. Unfortunately this is world wide and what any of us does have effects world wide. By increase the number of cases locally by not heeding experts warnings we are affecting the supply chain and availability of precious resources, both materially and human resource wise.If this wer
    a hurricane in Florida or an earthquake in California, then I would agree since those are truly local problems. This is not. I few weeks or months of just chilling is not going to kill any of us, but not chilling will definitely kill a lot of people.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

I could probably fit all the BC skiers in town in my front room but you folks got HUGE numbers of people down thar thinkin this is a month or months long long weekend
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    I go out for a run and a road ride. I'm not saying you can't, but if hundreds of people are parking in LCC or similar places, that is not social distancing. Yes you can go to the store, but the point is to minimize any exposure to other people at this time. Massively crowded bike paths or sidewalks is bot social distancing. This virus is turning out to be a lot more contagious then originally thought, so we need to adjust accordingly. If everybody is going out to their favorite trailhead, then that is not social distancing. Use common sense. The more people are out and about,the more potential for spears. As much as I would like to go to my usual beach path run, there are just too many people there, so adjust. Some shit just needs to get done, just think about how you go about doing it. Lives are at stake here, and I don't mean figuratively.
    I personally fail to see how a busy parking lot means people aren't distancing.

My local off leash parking lot is busier than I've ever seen it but I still find it easy to keep distance while out on our walk.

And easy to keep distance in the lot with s little awareness.

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    What you do in California, or Utah, or Wyomingdoes have an effect on he ICU nurse in NYC. If this were confined to just NYC I would agree with you. Unfortunately this is world wide and what any of us does have effects world wide. By increase the number of cases locally by not heeding experts warnings we are affecting the supply chain and availability of precious resources, both materially and human resource wise.If this wer
    a hurricane in Florida or an earthquake in California, then I would agree since those are truly local problems. This is not. I few weeks or months of just chilling is not going to kill any of us, but not chilling will definitely kill a lot of people.
    I didn't say that what I do in CA doesn't make a difference in NYC. I said having a good time doesn't. I made it clear that having a good time means doing it while staying away from other people, and not doing it if you can't. Just like security theater after 9/11 we need to differentiate between actions that make a difference and those that are for show.

Gloves are another example. I wore sterile gloves for a living, like you do. As you know gloves are only as sterile as what they've touched. Unless someone has had training and practice in sterile technique I feel safer around someone with washed or sanitized hands than gloves. The checker at the supermarket wears the same gloves for customer after customer. What does that do?

It's very simple. First question??

Did you get sick. You will know this because you haven't heard or seen a peep.

If not, your immune, they are just rolling dice.

Then deal with that, and wear a condom of course.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

I didn't say that what I do in CA doesn't make a difference in NYC. I said having a good time doesn't. I made it clear that having a good time means doing it while staying away from other people, and not doing it if you can't. Just like security theater after 9/11 we need to differentiate between actions that make a difference and those that are for show.

Gloves are another example. I wore sterile gloves for a living, like you do. As you know gloves are only as sterile as what they've touched. Unless someone has had training and practice in sterile technique I feel safer around someone with washed or sanitized hands than gloves. The checker at the supermarket wears the same gloves for customer after customer. What does that do?
    Exactly, people like us are the ones who should be setting the example because of our training, and hence why I am cheerleading for our public health experts (as are you.) Social distancing is not just about staying six feet away. People being out in pubic are exposing themselves and others in ways they are not even realizing. Your grocer example is a good one. people at dog parks opening gates is another. We touch things when out and about and never even think about...all potential sources of contamination. The less we are out and about the less potential contamination we create or are exposed to. That doesn't mean hiding in the closet, but it does mean decreasing the amount of time we are out of the house where practical.

iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    What's gas in scummit? It's $1.89 here.
    Expensive over two bucks almost three for the premium I use full on stupid I feel like its always rip off prices right there in avon

The people saying don't drive to recreate live close to places to recreate.
    Partly true in my case. I live close to bike trails that I can access directly from my home. I really don't enjoy biking. I also live a mile from the surf, and just finished PT on a dislocated shoulder. I was about to start surfing again until this hit. I started PT after my shoulder popped out 10 days after initial injury, while popping up while surfing. So I've put that on the back burner, because I don't want to end up in urgent care right now.

I was planning on going skiing. Packing my gear and food, gas up in town and drive directly to my friends empty cabin in the mountains. From there I would have been able to tour from the front door. It would have been easier to drive a short distance, to several trailheads, but I would have likely slogged the extra mile of flats from the house.

I called a surf buddy who is an EMT (in Santa Clara County) to discuss. He said to stay off the road. To not even drive up the coast for a surf or to other bike trailheads. He told me to set a goal of driving less than 10 miles a week for all my essentials. His reasoning is as things hit the fan around the region, the fewer people on the road the greater the reduction in accidents and the greater freedom emergency vehicles have in getting around. People are going from mild conditions to critical very quickly, and emergency vehicles having to negotiate their way around other vehicles could mean the difference between life and death. He also advised against surfing when its pumping (this guy normally chases 30' Mavs) and avoiding downhill MTB, and no matter what, taking it down to almost a boring level. When I asked about people who can't easily get to the surf/trails, he said the order is meant to allow us to get outside to exercise and get fresh air. Nothing more.

So I called another friend. This one a firefighter, who works in San Mateo county. Same answer. And then texted another firefighter who works in SF. Same answer. So I texted another friend who is a surgeon in Santa Cruz - she gave me the same answer. Stay at home. Finally I called a parent I met when my kid was in preschool. This one is a police officer. She said that they are currently not ticketing people for violation of the Stay at Home order, but they are watching it. She too implored we drive as little as possible, and that we should under no circumstance leave the county for our essential recreation.

So, while I may I've close to recreation, it is not the recreation I want. But that does not matter. Staying near home matters much more.

I would suggest people follow local guidance and avoid the call out of fascism. It is not fascism, they are trying to stop a pandemic. It is the government, so there will be fuck ups. Be happy that at least the state and county leaders are trying to do something instead of doing nothing and vacillating between potential solutions.

Here, abutted to an epicenter, they have been pushing hard to keep people in one place. And it is fucking working. Santa Clara County is currently at 1148 cases. Saturday they increased 54, and on Friday they increased 78. They are starting to flatten. Three weeks ago Santa Cruz was at 27 cases and today at 62. Those are slow growth numbers for those of you not paying attention.

Yes, having a good time in Wyoming, is not going to effect the situation in NYC. Getting hurt in Wyoming is not going to effect the situation in NYC. Have a vehicle accident or SAR incident in Wyoming is not going to effect the situation in NYC. But they could effect the situation in Wyoming.

Get outside, get fresh air, get exercise, stay near home.

It feels like it is hard to do because few alive today recall a time when our nation needed us all to act collectively. We need to act collectively, otherwise, this thing will keep having outbreaks around the country. The Bay Area is doing it right and clamping it down. NYC will get their situation under control, but that does not mean it won't pop up in Jackson or Tahoe or rip through some rural county in the south of Kansas. And those places will be even more fucked due to their lack of ICU.

But I should just assume I can out smart this thing, cause I'm smart, pack the car and go on vacation. It is spring break bitches. No way am I staying home, cause this is America and I'm free. Yipee.

The Ethics of Outdorr Recreation in Times of COVID-19

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    Expensive over two bucks almost three for the premium I use full on stupid I feel like its always rip off prices right there in avon
    Our gas hasn’t been under $2 in years...normally hovering just under $3...that’s regular

If you have to drive to a trailhead, you shouldn't be there. Pretty simple.

I've lived in the city, a few of them. I could easily get a long bike ride or run or walk in, everywhere I've ever lived. Might not be in the most beautiful spot, with luxurious scenery, snow capped peaks, or anything, but that shit doesn't actually matter, find new shit to look at. It can be kinda fun.

Here’s the way to ethically recreate outdoors

Ya don’t see other people around him, do ya? No, he’s exercising while keeping social distance

Dude does have a mean six pack despite the pasty white skin. Might give the prancercising a try

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    psa it only takes less than 200 hours and mine was less than a grand, to become an emt b and pass a written and practical test
    its caveman lookin functional stoner fishy ski bum easy
    or I wouda failed
    if more people took the little time, in the big picture of our time, to do something easy
    it would not mean yur shit wouldn't ever hit the fan or you would need additional recources or a hang it out there pass
    but more people versed in depooping the fans sure couldn't hurt
    if it were not for my personal ethics of not giving body fluids to others for substance testing id have been sar years ago or would tomorrow
    I know my reasons for taking the time and effort to gain a potential life saving 1st aid certification and knowledge
    which you lose (cert) without continuing ed as it should
    I went the woofer route because it fits better for me even though I don't need it for employment
    all nols certs and recerts are frozen at this time and ive been given a refund with unknown prospects of recertification
    I would encourage others to consider spending time in this reguard now or later
    but don't judge others for not taking that time
    what you spend your time on is your choice be it cheerleading or virtue signaling or attemting to safely recreate is your choice of your time
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Partly true in my case. I live close to bike trails that I can access directly from my home. I really don't enjoy biking. I also live a mile from the surf, and just finished PT on a dislocated shoulder. I was about to start surfing again until this hit. I started PT after my shoulder popped out 10 days after initial injury, while popping up while surfing. So I've put that on the back burner, because I don't want to end up in urgent care right now.

I was planning on going skiing. Packing my gear and food, gas up in town and drive directly to my friends empty cabin in the mountains. From there I would have been able to tour from the front door. It would have been easier to drive a short distance, to several trailheads, but I would have likely slogged the extra mile of flats from the house.

I called a surf buddy who is an EMT (in Santa Clara County) to discuss. He said to stay off the road. To not even drive up the coast for a surf or to other bike trailheads. He told me to set a goal of driving less than 10 miles a week for all my essentials. His reasoning is as things hit the fan around the region, the fewer people on the road the greater the reduction in accidents and the greater freedom emergency vehicles have in getting around. People are going from mild conditions to critical very quickly, and emergency vehicles having to negotiate their way around other vehicles could mean the difference between life and death. He also advised against surfing when its pumping (this guy normally chases 30' Mavs) and avoiding downhill MTB, and no matter what, taking it down to almost a boring level. When I asked about people who can't easily get to the surf/trails, he said the order is meant to allow us to get outside to exercise and get fresh air. Nothing more.

So I called another friend. This one a firefighter, who works in San Mateo county. Same answer. And then texted another firefighter who works in SF. Same answer. So I texted another friend who is a surgeon in Santa Cruz - she gave me the same answer. Stay at home. Finally I called a parent I met when my kid was in preschool. This one is a police officer. She said that they are currently not ticketing people for violation of the Stay at Home order, but they are watching it. She too implored we drive as little as possible, and that we should under no circumstance leave the county for our essential recreation.

So, while I may I've close to recreation, it is not the recreation I want. But that does not matter. Staying near home matters much more.

I would suggest people follow local guidance and avoid the call out of fascism. It is not fascism, they are trying to stop a pandemic. It is the government, so there will be fuck ups. Be happy that at least the state and county leaders are trying to do something instead of doing nothing and vacillating between potential solutions.

Here, abutted to an epicenter, they have been pushing hard to keep people in one place. And it is fucking working. Santa Clara County is currently at 1148 cases. Saturday they increased 54, and on Friday they increased 78. They are starting to flatten. Three weeks ago Santa Cruz was at 27 cases and today at 62. Those are slow growth numbers for those of you not paying attention.

Yes, having a good time in Wyoming, is not going to effect the situation in NYC. Getting hurt in Wyoming is not going to effect the situation in NYC. Have a vehicle accident or SAR incident in Wyoming is not going to effect the situation in NYC. But they could effect the situation in Wyoming.

It feels like it is hard to do because few alive today recall a time when our nation needed us all to act collectively. We need to act collectively, otherwise, this thing will keep having outbreaks around the country. The Bay Area is doing it right and clamping it down. NYC will get their situation under control, but that does not mean it won't pop up in Jackson or Tahoe or rip through some rural county in the south of Kansas. And those places will be even more fucked due to their lack of ICU.

But I should just assume I can out smart this thing, cause I'm smart, pack the car and go on vacation. It is spring break bitches. No way am I staying home, cause this is America and I'm free. Yipee.
    There is a lot of good information in ot's post - and I want to add two cents to it --

Staying-at-home / shelter-at-home is not just to clear the roads for EMS, it is a strong means to slow the spread or prevent transmission of the virus --

"social distancing" is a nice idea - but I don't believe it can possibly be effective in a busy setting
    ( for one, the "busy parking lot" described above, or my experience at the grocery store last week :
    I moved through the store as efficiently as possible - almost immediately I had someone immediately behind me, when I tried to step-aside, I stopped immediately in front of what he wanted, and instead of allowing me to move away, he reached past me to grab what he wanted --
    in the check-out line, three people brushed past me - because they had to go back to isles they had already past... )

in these situations, the only chances pathogens are not being transmitted are (
    no one present is shedding the pathogen; and (good) Luck.

I get it : as ot closes - we have become a country of independent people who are determined to do only what the individual chooses to do.
    I think that's a Sad thing, and (to me) goes a long way to explaining why we are so ,,, very divided as a country...

for me, my Risk ends where your risk begins --
    with the peak incidence of disease still forecast for three weeks away in the upper midwest, it is going to be a long, difficult month...

staying home not only eases the Stress on EMS, it is,,, important to slowing the transmission of the virus and slowing the spread of covid.

Thank you for your Help. ...
    be well -
    Please, be Safe. (tj)

I emailed 130 firefighters this morning and asked if I should go ski. 32 replied yes, 1 said no (he said the weather is nice enough to MTB) and 97 didn't reply, probably because they are off duty and skiing.

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    Here’s the way to ethically recreate outdoors

Ya don’t see other people around him, do ya? No, he’s exercising while keeping social distance
    That's amazing, TBS, my wife nearly fell over laughing.

I haven't had to fill up at the gas station in weeks, and won't have to for weeks more. If I drive 4 miles to the trailhead I'm not interacting with anyone. Yesterday at Luther Pass there were less than 15 cars along the road parked in 4 different roadside parking zones (not snowparks). We never got closer than 100 feet to another person. I kept my dog on leash so he wouldn't go up to other people. The meadow is 3-4 miles long and had 4 other people skiing.

Flashback to an incident the day before when I was walking in the neighborhood. Came up to a couple with 2 dogs off leash. One was a puppy and instantly came over and started jumping all over me and my dog. The owner came over and retrieved the dog, within about 1'. There was lots of breathing going on.

The point is that these things are not black and white. Staying in the neighborhood is not a cure-all. Going a few miles to the trailhead is not evil. Staying away from crowded areas is a damn good idea and is socially responsible, but not all areas are crowded.

^agreed. Yes I'm driving 20 min to recreate in an uncrowded area, but I drive further than that to work.

OK, you convinced me. My kid is on the trauma service at UCDavis med center. One of the busiest in the country. Things are very very slow.

OK, you convinced me. My kid is on the trauma service at UCDavis med center. One of the busiest in the country. Things are very very slow.
    Meaning, that the stay are home orders/guidance in CA are currently working.....?

Been skiing. 45 minutes to parking lot for sleds. Nobody there. 8km on sled then mellow tours. Only stop I have made is at gas station to fill sled and truck. Did not go in gas station. Used gloves and clorox wipes and hand sanitizer when back in truck.

Figure that is safer then going to grocery store or crowded mtn bike trailhead.

Flame away.
    www.skevikskis.com Check em out!

Piss is the best way to clean off gas station pump handles....

Has anybody upthread posted shiffrin’s workout FB post or her current skiing stoke vid? Both was ass kickers.