Page 19 of 70 FirstFirst ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Very mixed feelings. That could potentially put more people in danger and cause more incidents. Glad to see SAC is still going.
    We’ll have to see how it goes. They seem to be having some special problems on the east side.

Yeah, appears surface contamination is a significant source. We do a million things without thinking about it. Sure, the risk is low, but the more we are out and about the more likely that low risk thing we don't think about finally happens.

All the "experts" aresaying stay at home unless absolutely necessary. A short walk, run ride in your neighborhood is probably okay, stopping at your favorite weed story or picking up a package of Slim Jim's, probably not. Hopefully this intense stay at home recommendation won't last long...a week or two??? Isn't it worth the inconvenience to save a few lives? Of course the need to not be held down by the man is more important then somebodies grandmother.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by Kinnikinnick View Post
    I read that there wasnt much evidence of any significant transmission from surfaces.

Much more likely transmitting sharing the same breathing space.

Have you heard otherwise?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Fauci was discussing this--viable virus on a surface doesn't mean that there is enough virus to cause an infection. It usually takes a certain dose of virus to do it. A lot is known about potential routes of infection but I don't believe anyone knows at this point what routes are serious threats and which are mainly theoretical. As far as the car parked too close--if you avoid touching the places on the car where the occupants are likely to have touched--door handles, etc--there should be little risk. My guess is direct exhaled virus to inhaled route is the most common; if so the transmission should go down significantly if everyone wears a mask in the grocery store.
    The people poo-pooing masks are killing us.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Are you licking the door handles of random cars parked near you?
    in a busy parking lot ,
    I believe the greater risk is someone contaminates your door frame as they blow a wet sneeze hearing to the trailhead with their hands full...

Just responding to kinnikinnick's Q. about transmission --

If you think you have to lick door handles to be exposed to a droplet borne, " highly tranmissable " virus... :

be well -
    Please, be Safe. tj

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Yeah, appears surface contamination is a significant source. We do a million things without thinking about it. Sure, the risk is low, but the more we are out and about the more likely that low risk thing we don't think about finally happens.

All the "experts" aresaying stay at home unless absolutely necessary. A short walk, run ride in your neighborhood is probably okay, stopping at your favorite weed story or picking up a package of Slim Jim's, probably not. Hopefully this intense stay at home recommendation won't last long...a week or two??? Isn't it worth the inconvenience to save a few lives? Of course the need to not be held down by the man is more important then somebodies grandmother.
    The weed stores here are 100% Order online w/ curbside pickup
    And this is gonna go more than a couple of weeks. More like a couple of months if we rely on science. S Korea relaxed and now are in the soup again.
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/s...cases-n1176021

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    First time posting in this thread.

You want to ignore the order to stay at home or interpret it in a way that allows you to recreate the way you want? Fine. But for fucks sake, don't post about it on the internet.

It's like the people who go out backcountry skiing when avy conditions are "extreme" and then post pics online, and don't understand when they get flamed. Sure, it is possible to safely meadow skip in those conditions, but it doesn't help anyone when you broadcast that you were out. Because sure, even if we accept that you're smart enough to do it safely, many who see your post may not be.

You want to drive to wherever you want to ski, knock yourself out. But keep your goddamn mouth shut about it. Fred, I have always enjoyed your posts, but during this pandemic you're coming off as a real dick. And you know that and that seems to be your exact intention, but it's not a good look.
    have you considered reporting these "stoke" violations and egregious posts of potential Darwinism protection to a moderator for potential removal and discipline yet?
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

^yes, you're probably going kill someone��

It's completely irresponsible! Shame!

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    We’ll have to see how it goes. They seem to be having some special problems on the east side.
    I'll say. Been watching the pissing match between Ken's Sporting Goods and people who think no one should go up there. Ken's says they are open because they sell guns and are considered an essential business. But Jim (owner) has been going on FB and posting fishing reports. Then people flame away. I also heard three cars parked at Hot Creek got their tires slashed.

Rode my local single track last Wednesday. Was the most crowded I've seen it. Realized PDQ that it's tough to get 6 feet of distance on two foot wide trail in a lot of spots. Think I'll leave that be for a while.

Back in the day, when my Canadian gf got cancer and I spent a summer in Canada taking care of her, it was unrealistic to get my pickup over to the island, so I did everything with my bike. At that time, for transportation commuting groceries etc, I usually didn’t run a helmet. I noticed right away how emboldened Canadians were about yelling at me about it. Random Canadians heckling me as I minded my own business “hey where’s your helmet”.....sometimes it really pissed me off. Who the fuck does this guy think he is, shouting bullshit at me...Maybe it’s because I’m slow, but it took me way too long to figure out the mindset there recognizes health and safety as a shared cost, so everyone’s choices are everyone else’s business. So they’re pretty liberal with the judgmental scorn for anyone they see as costing, or risking cost to their collective healthcare system.
    It was one of only a few things I really didn’t like about living in Victoria....people feeling empowered to yell at strangers on behalf of the collective healthcare budget....and I really held onto it as a means of describing a major cultural divide.

Now that annoying judgmental surveillance society scenario is here...with everyone else, with every choice under scrutiny.
    Up on a ladder working on your house? Danger!
    Riding your bike? Danger!
    Skiing? Unnecessary irresponsible Danger!
    No face cover? How dare you!
    What’s the purpose of this trip?

My wife and I got followed and watched by a cop while we were so extravagantly driving a mile to go walk our dog downtown and get a pizza.. He backed off when we got the dog out.

Apparently they’re watching us on the cameras at work all the time now, instead of just when there’s a complaint or accident, trying to fire people they don’t like because all of a sudden there’s thousands of unemployed people who would love to take my job. My wife’s employer is also flexing like that...pulling her planned pay raise back and putting her on random unpredictable sporadic night shifts.

A simple encounter or argument could put me in jail...because the courts are closed and my bullshit disorderly conduct case means I could just be taken to jail for basically any police contact. Can’t ski. Can’t surf. Can’t possess alcohol. All my favorite nearby places are parks that are now closed. I’m getting claustrophobic as fuck.

It’s just like 9-11. I thought we’d learn to not be awful in the middle east, instead it turned into THEY HATE US BECAUSE WE’RE FREE, and buy a gas guzzler to stimulate the economy, and endless Afghanistan war.
    Now, this time I thought we’d learn our healthcare system is retarded...but it’s turning into DON’T DO ANYTHING FUN, and watch/judge your neighbors and blue collar workers work yourselves to death and be happy you have a job at all.
    Last edited by ill-advised strategy; 04-06-2020 at 09:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    My wife and I got followed and watched by a cop going to walk our dog. He backed off when we got the dog out.
    don't take this the wrong way, but from things you've said in this thread and others, the place you live sounds awful.

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    don't take this the wrong way, but from things you've said in this thread and others, the place you live sounds awful.
    you’re not wrong. I moved away 20+ years ago and haven’t looked back.

Now, this time I thought we’d learn our healthcare system is retarded...but it’s turning into DON’T DO ANYTHING FUN, and watch/judge your neighbors and blue collar workers work yourselves to death and be happy you have a job at all.
    yeah... it's fucked up to hear other americans espousing "just sit quietly at home and be happy you are able to do that" as an ethos. and the speed with which this cultural shift has taken place is astounding. thanks, internet.

I think a lot of people like it because you can live really well on an income that would only buy a very basic lifestyle elsewhere.
    In some ways that’s what’s going on with us. We make like 60k combined and we have a house walking distance from the beach, 5 minute bike ride from downtown, 5 minute drive to the ski hill and both our jobs.
    My old Salt Lake City house (fwiw 2548 S 545 E) next door to the meth dealership, across from the liberian gangsters, just down the block from the heroin house, is now worth so much we probably couldn’t even afford to rent a room in it, let alone the whole house, let alone buy it.

I think you confuse Living well" with what you have going on. No offense but you are far from happy.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

To quote an old mag..."I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity"...iscariot

Don't be that asshole. This is not about "you", it's about making a little effort to save lives, 10s of thousands and possibly many, many more. Is it that hard to just chill for a relatively short period of time to save lives? Can we, for a short period, think about other people besides ourselves? We are a social ape, can we act like one for the greater good?

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    To quote an old mag..."I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity"...iscariot

Don't be that asshole. This is not about "you", it's about making a little effort to save lives, 10s of thousands and possibly many, many more. Is it that hard to just chill for a relatively short period of time to save lives? Can we, for a short period, think about other people besides ourselves? We are a social ape, can we act like one for the greater good?
    please post a complete report of everything you did over the past 2 weeks: all food/drink consumed, every step taken indoors and out, every car trip, every movement actually, every single human contact, every purchase made (after all if you're ordering stuff online that's extra driving those delivery cars are doing. didn't buy anything did you???). gonna need to know how late you keep the lights on, the longer you keep them on the quicker the bulbs burn out, then you're going to the store and endangering my grandma again. after you submit your entire life, we'll all pass our judgment on how "necessary" your choices are. sound good?

or just piss off and let people make their own decisions. if people are breaking laws well, that's why we have a legal system.

Have people considered the areas they are traveling to in order to recreate are reasonably uncrowded because many people are actually following the stay at home orders?

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    I think you confuse Living well" with what you have going on. No offense but you are far from happy.
    where you live: 2 people and a dog, $3500/mo combined take home. How does that typically look? Trailer park? Public housing? 50 mile commute?

Quote Originally Posted by nwslider View Post
    Have people considered the areas they are traveling to in order to recreate are reasonably uncrowded because many people are actually following the stay at home orders?
    The places near me have actually been abnormally crowded, probably because so many people aren’t working.

Where I live is not the point.

I am going to piss off now, best of luck.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

please post a complete report of everything you did over the past 2 weeks: all food/drink consumed, every step taken indoors and out, every car trip, every movement actually, every single human contact, every purchase made (after all if you're ordering stuff online that's extra driving those delivery cars are doing. didn't buy anything did you???). gonna need to know how late you keep the lights on, the longer you keep them on the quicker the bulbs burn out, then you're going to the store and endangering my grandma again. after you submit your entire life, we'll all pass our judgment on how "necessary" your choices are. sound good?

or just piss off and let people make their own decisions. if people are breaking laws well, that's why we have a legal system.
    No worries, I'll just put you down in the "Asshole" column. Carry on.

iscariot

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Back in the day, when my Canadian gf got cancer and I spent a summer in Canada taking care of her, it was unrealistic to get my pickup over to the island, so I did everything with my bike. At that time, for transportation commuting groceries etc, I usually didn’t run a helmet. I noticed right away how emboldened Canadians were about yelling at me about it. Random Canadians heckling me as I minded my own business “hey where’s your helmet”.....sometimes it really pissed me off. Who the fuck does this guy think he is, shouting bullshit at me...Maybe it’s because I’m slow, but it took me a while to figure out the mindset there is health and safety is everyone’s business, so they’re pretty liberal with the judgmental scorn for anyone they see as costing, or risking cost to their collective healthcare system.
    It was one of only a few things I really didn’t like about living in Victoria, and I really held onto it as a means of describing a major cultural divide.

Now that annoying surveillance society scenario is here...with everyone else, with every choice under scrutiny.
    Up on a ladder working on your house? Danger!
    Riding your bike? Danger!
    Skiing? Unnecessary irresponsible Danger!
    No face cover? How dare you!
    What’s the purpose of this trip?

My wife and I got followed and watched by a cop while we were so extravagantly driving a mile to go walk our dog downtown and get a pizza.. He backed off when we got the dog out.

Apparently they’re watching us on the cameras at work all the time now, instead of just when there’s a complaint or accident, trying to fire people they don’t like because all of a sudden there’s thousands of unemployed people who would love to take my job. My wife’s employer is also flexing like that...pulling her planned pay raise back and putting her on random unpredictable sporadic night shifts.

A simple encounter or argument could put me in jail...because the courts are closed and my bullshit disorderly conduct case means I could just be taken to jail for basically any police contact. Can’t ski. Can’t surf. Can’t possess alcohol. All my favorite nearby places are parks that are now closed. I’m getting claustrophobic as fuck.

It’s just like 9-11. I thought we’d learn to not be awful in the middle east, instead it turned into THEY HATE US BECAUSE WE’RE FREE, and buy a gas guzzler to stimulate the economy, and endless Afghanistan war.
    evens though I gots no shortages of others I ask my higher power to protect me from the dangers I pose to myself
    more so others

I know you don't git fishin
    lot of things I don't gits
    higher powers stuffs
    I don't gits the internets
    and why when I did the first place I landed was here
    or gittin old
    I gits danger of many shapes sizes pitches and ratings
    the higher power keeps telling me to send you the whippy stick of social distance isolation and low risk and rewarding muscle mermory skills
    fuckin text me your address or il be forced to use valuable recources finding it
    shit aint no
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

can someone get ee cummings here a word processor?

I laughed...
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix