Page 18 of 70 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast
    1:45 to the trail head stopped at gas station car wash weed store buddies house grocery store for snacks and the mini mart on way home for more snacks people living in fear

The Ethics of Outdorr Recreation in Times of COVID-19

Quote Originally Posted by el hefe View Post
    Been skiing. 45 minutes to parking lot for sleds. Nobody there. 8km on sled then mellow tours. Only stop I have made is at gas station to fill sled and truck. Did not go in gas station. Used gloves and clorox wipes and hand sanitizer when back in truck.

Figure that is safer then going to grocery store or crowded mtn bike trailhead.

Flame away.
    Just please stay safe, if we lose you we lose your wife.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    OK, you convinced me. My kid is on the trauma service at UCDavis med center. One of the busiest in the country. Things are very very slow.
    My daughter is an anaesthetist at Denver Med Center and it is slow in OR as well. Since she is well trained at intubation and ventilation...she is getting moved to the COVID ward.

Another reason I am beating on "stay at home" is that it is hitting very close to home. No doubt toit kids will end up seeing more of it as well.
    Last edited by hutash; 04-05-2020 at 01:09 PM.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

First time posting in this thread.

You want to ignore the order to stay at home or interpret it in a way that allows you to recreate the way you want? Fine. But for fucks sake, don't post about it on the internet.

It's like the people who go out backcountry skiing when avy conditions are "extreme" and then post pics online, and don't understand when they get flamed. Sure, it is possible to safely meadow skip in those conditions, but it doesn't help anyone when you broadcast that you were out. Because sure, even if we accept that you're smart enough to do it safely, many who see your post may not be.

You want to drive to wherever you want to ski, knock yourself out. But keep your goddamn mouth shut about it. Fred, I have always enjoyed your posts, but during this pandemic you're coming off as a real dick. And you know that and that seems to be your exact intention, but it's not a good look.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

i was wrapping up my tour yesterday when a group of 3 returning from their tour approached the smallish parking lot most people use. one guy starts screaming/swearing that a car, (arriving later) parked too close to his car. the car was within reasonable parking lot distance but not 6+ feet away. this unknown dude went off the deep end, even picked up a large rock with the intent of damaging the car. (his GF talked him out of it). there is a very large lot just down the hill from the small lot, raging dude shoulda parked there, gone someplace less popular or stayed home IMO. be careful out there

"we all do dumb shit when we're fucked up"
    mike tyson

Quote Originally Posted by el hefe View Post
    Been skiing. 45 minutes to parking lot for sleds. Nobody there. 8km on sled then mellow tours. Only stop I have made is at gas station to fill sled and truck. Did not go in gas station. Used gloves and clorox wipes and hand sanitizer when back in truck.

Figure that is safer then going to grocery store or crowded mtn bike trailhead.

Flame away.
    I think your approach seems reasonable.

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Quote Originally Posted by romeo tango View Post
    i was wrapping up my tour yesterday when a group of 3 returning from their tour approached the smallish parking lot most people use. one guy starts screaming/swearing that a car, (arriving later) parked too close to his car. the car was within reasonable parking lot distance but not 6+ feet away. this unknown dude went off the deep end, even picked up a large rock with the intent of damaging the car. (his GF talked him out of it). there is a very large lot just down the hill from the small lot, raging dude shoulda parked there, gone someplace less popular or stayed home IMO. be careful out there

what's up with people not understanding the car thing? people have been posting tattletale pics of cars parked next to each other at trailheads whining on social media. but unless you are all getting into/out of your cars at the same time, wtf difference does it make? so what if a car is near your car? IF you and the other car owner happen to arrive at your cars at the same time can't you just wait for the one person to get in/out of the car, then you go? I do not understand this at all. I don't see cars at the supermarket leaving gaps between parking spaces.

Cars can get the COVID, practice social distance parking. Or, hang a sheet over the grill and wash the tires frequently while singing two choruses of Happy Birthday.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Agreed. I really don’t understand the rage. I believe I was in the same lot as you yesterday, probably at a similar time. Out of curiosity, what type of car was parked so horribly? I saw some pretty appropriately spaced parking IMO...

Quote Originally Posted by bourbonisgood View Post
    .... I believe I was in the same lot as you yesterday, probably at a similar time. Out of curiosity, what type of car was parked so horribly? I saw some pretty appropriately spaced parking IMO...
    newish subaru wagon, forester? some neutral color i cant recall
    no rooftop box, just crossbars

nothing about the spacing of the cars seemed unusual
    i agree with the downthread attitude: wait it out if you happen to
    arrive at the same time as the group parked next to your vehicle.
    im just wondering when the shooting will start ....

"we all do dumb shit when we're fucked up"
    mike tyson

guys...
    depending on timing and behavior, your car ( most potentially the door frame ) can absolutely be a vector / contaminated surface.

the virus is found in droplets - think of a sneeze...

when I go, the clothes I wear go in the washing machine for a double Wash and I bathe and Soap and scrub.

at the same time, the guy that was enraged because someone had parked too close for his satisfaction is a Danger I see growing...
    This is going to drive some people crazy -

be well -
    Please, be Safe. (tj)

My sister called me today. My other sister is in an independent living facility in Atlanta. 6 stories, packed with old folks but they all manage.

Sis who called was dropping by although the place is on lock down (sort of, after all it is fucking Georgia). There was a crowd of "smokers" sitting together doing what they do. Sis didn't think they were appropriately spaced out and went off on them. I get the feeling they may have told her to fuck off.

Yeah, this is going to drive people batshit. As for this thread, like so many, people have made up their minds and the horse is dead.

And yeah, what Danno said.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

newish subaru wagon, forester? some neutral color i cant recall
    no rooftop box, just crossbars

nothing about the spacing of the cars seemed unusual
    i agree with the downthread attitude: wait it out if you happen to
    arrive at the same time as the group parked next to your vehicle.
    im just wondering when the shooting will start ....

The fuse is getting short on a lot of folks. Be well and be sane.

Name:  julie.jpg
Views: 719
Size:  71.3 KB
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Eastern Sierra avi Center has stopped issuing forecasts

https://www.esavalanche.org/

How many mags have the Covid ? I’m curious

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Eastern Sierra avi Center has stopped issuing forecasts

https://www.esavalanche.org/
    Very mixed feelings. That could potentially put more people in danger and cause more incidents. Glad to see SAC is still going.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Exactly, people like us are the ones who should be setting the example because of our training, and hence why I am cheerleading for our public health experts (as are you.) Social distancing is not just about staying six feet away. People being out in pubic are exposing themselves and others in ways they are not even realizing. Your grocer example is a good one. people at dog parks opening gates is another. We touch things when out and about and never even think about...all potential sources of contamination. The less we are out and about the less potential contamination we create or are exposed to. That doesn't mean hiding in the closet, but it does mean decreasing the amount of time we are out of the house where practical.
    I read that there wasnt much evidence of any significant transmission from surfaces.

Much more likely transmitting sharing the same breathing space.

Have you heard otherwise?

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

Quote Originally Posted by scottski63 View Post
    How many mags have the Covid ? I’m curious
    I believe 2 and my thoughts go out to them for a speedy recovery.

As to the surface life:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0320192755.htm
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Quote Originally Posted by Kinnikinnick View Post
    I read that there wasnt much evidence of any significant transmission from surfaces.

Much more likely transmitting sharing the same breathing space.

Have you heard otherwise?
    it is my understanding that "droplet borne" is not the same thing as airborne - thought droplets can be in the air
    ( that sneeze I mentioned ) ;

please see my comment about 'timing and behavior' dependent--
    I am Not saying If someone touches your car you could be infected indefinitely -

I do believe If you touch a surface that has recently been contaminated you could be infected ( rub your eye, touch your mouth, itch your nose... )

But Not indefinitely - but I would be very cautious in busy spaces
    ( I am -fortunately- able to avoid crowded parking lots )

be well -
    Please, be Safe. tj
    " ... I will do anything to go Skiing ... There Is no pride ... " (Miriam , 2005-2006 epic)

Dec21, 2016. LittleBigLost :
    " I think about it everyday. It is my reminder to live life to the fullest. I get up early, go to bed late, 'cuz I got shit to do. Like I said, I'm 61. Not going to wait till I'm 81 to do stuff, ...

Get out there and do stuff!

Enjoy life to the fullest!!

See you on the slopes! "

see Gary's Reference :
    plastic and Stainless : 2-3 days ;
    ' quite transmissible '

Quote Originally Posted by skiJ View Post
    see Gary's Reference :
    plastic and Stainless : 2-3 days ;
    ' quite transmissible '
    Are you licking the door handles of random cars parked near you?

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Touch your car and then touch your face.

But seriously... wipe your door handles with sanitizer or a wipe and call it a day. Or take it to the car wash.

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Just please stay safe, if we lose you we lose your wife.

And Ullr would weep. Given the snowpack here this spring, that would drown us all.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Who doesn’t?!