Page 5 of 70 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Posting link to hacksaw’s letter:

https://www.facebook.com/american.av...402710/?type=3

I don’t know how to easily copy/paste or attach the image of the letter from my phone
    Here’s his letter
    Name:  IMG_3180.JPG
Views: 9162
Size:  99.9 KB

The Eastern Sierra Avi Center just sent out a similar letter (email.)

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

I see the "cover your ass" virus is spreading everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinnikinnick View Post
    Here’s a twist to this conversation.

Shit IS serious, so are all legal norms ok to be suspended?

Is it OK if a local municipality illegally bans users from accessing Federal lands, like what happened in San Juan county, CO?

Its illegal to restrict access to fed lands, the sheriff does not have that authority.

But is everyone OK with ceding unconstitutional powers to local sheriffs and who knows who else? As long as they have some rationale about protecting the “local” population?

What if they had to arrest someone but just decided to shoot them since they might have covid?

If they just suspended SAR that wouldnt be legal either, but why not?

https://coloradosun.com/2020/03/26/c...rton-colorado/

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Yep. It's a fucking deadly disease sweeping the globe that we do not have adequate testing for, a treatment, or a vaccine for.

So, I was conflicted about this for a while (could I justify getting out for a mellow tour). Up until yesterday or so, I could still get myself there. "I'll just ski with partners I've been exposed to already; I'll keep it mellow and in zones I know."

But Summit's letter: https://lift.opensnow.com/media-imag...5005281483.png

And the closure of established trailheads, and the Friends of CAIC plea, I'm convinced it's time to stay home.

Quote Originally Posted by Cravenmorhead View Post
    So, I was conflicted about this for a while (could I justify getting out for a mellow tour). Up until yesterday or so, I could still get myself there. "I'll just ski with partners I've been exposed to already; I'll keep it mellow and in zones I know."

But Summit's letter: https://lift.opensnow.com/media-imag...5005281483.png

And the closure of established trailheads, and the Friends of CAIC plea, I'm convinced it's time to stay home.
    Good call, I might keep it local and only ride something that I can see and access from my house by bike. Formulating a plan now.

It is a good time to get creative and learn how to enjoy your own neighborhood instead of driving 2 hours each way in traffic to ski something. Go out in the street and work on poppin wheelies or clean the garage.

Quote Originally Posted by BGnight View Post
    I see the "cover your ass" virus is spreading everywhere.
    I think you are in the wrong thread dude. This one is about ethics. You fail. Go run away from the co trails. We all know you are a selfish prick and there is no way you will comply with something for the greater good. Kindly fuck off.

Police trolling areas of PCMR and DV/Guardsmen and turning uphill traffic away. Probably ticketing downhill era who are caught. Now that stay at home order is in place in Summit county the powers want no more playing in snow
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

The Ethics of Outdorr Recreation in Times of COVID-19

HRATS newsletter this morning urging folks to follow the MT Hood Natl Forest & Hood R Co restrictions

Locals can still bike to trails, just no parking or group congregating

In my neighborhood in pdx, I saw HS kids playing basketball when I was out on a bike ride. Dummies, but I do feel for all the kids who are like caged animals at the moment...

Here’s a twist to this conversation.

Shit IS serious, so are all legal norms ok to be suspended?

Is it OK if a local municipality illegally bans users from accessing Federal lands, like what happened in San Juan county, CO?

Its illegal to restrict access to fed lands, the sheriff does not have that authority.

But is everyone OK with ceding unconstitutional powers to local sheriffs and who knows who else? As long as they have some rationale about protecting the “local” population?

What if they had to arrest someone but just decided to shoot them since they might have covid?

https://coloradosun.com/2020/03/26/c...rton-colorado/

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    My life is on hold waiting for criminal court processes they’ve just decided to cease doing, indefinitely. I’m lucky (and thankful) I made bail. We supposedly have a right to a speedy trial. Rights like that aren’t rights without a society willing to defend them. Everyone in jail right now, arrested but not convicted — quite possibly completely innocent (like me), just sits indefinitely in a dangerous unhygienic hellish death pit waiting to get sick, or stabbed, or beaten.

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Police trolling areas of PCMR and DV/Guardsmen and turning uphill traffic away. Probably ticketing downhill era who are caught. Now that stay at home order is in place in Summit county the powers want no more playing in snow
    that's kind of surprising, thought trail access was fine? or are these big groups?

Statement from FS and ski areas in the Front Range:

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    My life is on hold waiting for criminal court processes they’ve just decided to cease doing, indefinitely. I’m lucky (and thankful) I made bail. We supposedly have a right to a speedy trial. Rights like that aren’t rights without a society willing to defend them. Everyone in jail right now, arrested but not convicted — quite possibly completely innocent (like me), just sits indefinitely in a dangerous unhygienic hellish death pit waiting to get sick, or stabbed, or beaten.
    This is a huge issues and not being addressed nearly enough, at least not publicly. People are working on it, just not high on the news sites. This deserves a whole other thread.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Besides the Deputy, it's a volunteer staff. Some SAR units have suspended all training and meetings for the time being. Not sure what kind of response I'd expect right now if you needed a rescue in the backcountry.

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    This deserves a whole other thread.
    Yeah, my bad. It’s just my reaction to dude mentioning rights being disregarded.

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    Yep. It's a fucking deadly disease sweeping the globe that we do not have adequate testing for, a treatment, or a vaccine for.
    Wrong, the tests are not that accurate, yes they do, and you'd be a dummy to take it.

Yeah, my bad. It’s just my reaction to dude mentioning rights being disregarded.
    It's a big deal. My SO is very close with her old judge who is the ranking county judge in our area and had to make the decision to close courts. She talks with him throughout the week.

I assure you, it IS a big deal and it is not being taken lightly. It's a tough situation from a law ethics POV, but also social ethics POV.

Quote Originally Posted by BGnight View Post
    Wrong, the tests are not that accurate, yes they do, and you'd be a dummy to take it.
    There is something called an IQ test that you have proven to be too much of a dummy to take.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Meanwhile the brobrah who runs our ski hill was out lapping runs towing his buddies up the hill behind the work sleds and having a big party inside the closed ski area hanging out in groups in front of all his shafted customers hiking and skinning. Tracking up the hill towing with the sleds super fast while his customers have to hike.
    I call him out on it and get banned from the property for 12 months for “disrespecting him and his staff”
    So no ski season next year, basically, because we don’t really have bc here and I can’t leave town very often to go ski 100 miles away.

^ ^ ^ fuck that fuck. Sounds like Trump requiring governors to kiss his ring as a condition to getting fed assistance

Hey...covid 19’s serious enough to close the ski hill, but the staff will still be here hanging out getting drunk standing around in groups towing each other around with the work sleds like an episode of Jackass...and if you say anything about it we’ll ban you from the property for 12 months.

That’s Andrew Farron at Marquette Mountain if you’re bored and you want to call and tell him he’s an irresponsible asshole. Careful though, he’s been in a bubble of brobrahs telling him he’s god’s gift for a hot minute here, so if you tell him anything besides how amazing he is he’ll probably ban you and you’ll have to cancel that ski vacation to Marquette Mountain you’ve been planning all these years.

. . . you’ll have to cancel that ski vacation to Marquette Mountain you’ve been planning all these years.
    Damn, that would have a big ripple effect on my life plan trajectory.

Seriously, a dirtbag RV visit to the UP is in our plans after Honey and I fully retire in 4 years or so -- which puts us outside the 12 month ban window.

IAS, here in our county they are quietly releasing all non-violent offenders, FWIW.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Meanwhile the brobrah who runs our ski hill was out lapping runs towing his buddies up the hill behind the work sleds and having a big party inside the closed ski area hanging out in groups in front of all his shafted customers hiking and skinning. Tracking up the hill towing with the sleds super fast while his customers have to hike.
    I call him out on it and get banned from the property for 12 months for “disrespecting him and his staff”
    So no ski season next year, basically, because we don’t really have bc here and I can’t leave town very often to go ski 100 miles away.
    Dude, I think you need to take a breath. I realize you’ve had a rough go of it but this is a self inflicted wound.

We've had an extended and ongoing conversation about this among my b/c partners and have all agreed amongst ourselves not to go into the backcountry til this is over. Drove an hour earlier this week to skin our little "local" hill here in Maine but I do feel that that is borderline too much just based on the drive alone. Sticking to 5/10 biking, surfing, and yoga to loosen my frigged hips up and putting energy into neglected house projects.

I def think time outside, in the sun & fresh air, moving is still critical and moreso now. But this is not the time to get rad. Whatever a 3, 4, or 5 is for you is where you should be recreating at, and locally.

I thought surfing was carefree recreating for me as I've never come close to an injury doing it but earlier this week got cocky and impulsively high lined it above my buddy (only three of us within a half mile of beach) and ran right over him. He was fine but I was in a complete panic that I had just sent him to the hospital before it was okay. A reminder in humility and that surprises can happen anywhere, so act accordingly.

I've also tried to encourage folks who are getting out and getting after it (namely b/c they live in mountain communities) NOT to post about it on social to keep the FOMO down for as many people as possible. We're more of a community in these activities than many other segments of the population and have the opportunity & responsibility to set high standards for ourselves in this time that requires some unfamiliar types of selflessness (i.e. do nothing).
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.