Page 23 of 70 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast
    I'm thrilled that I finally have a governmental mandate to combine my FOMO with my natural inclination to go online and judge people.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    I'm thrilled that I finally have a governmental mandate to combine my FOMO with my natural inclination to go online and judge people.
    at least some of the people in this thread are slowly beginning to admit it’s just FOMO lol

any rule on how far it's ok to drive to recreate is totally arbitrary. Everyone has their own number--based mainly on far they want to drive--and no one can defend that number rationally,

well said
    what would we do without the internet?
    -lack of fomo
    -lack of being able to brag about how awesome you are
    -lack of spreading fear about a flu bug

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    well said
    what would we do without the internet?
    -lack of fomo
    -lack of being able to brag about how awesome you are
    -lack of spreading fear about a flu bug
    What is covid without out internet?

Sent from ullr with love!

Quote Originally Posted by nordekette View Post
    What is covid without out internet?

Sent from ullr with love!
    it would be nothing
    but since we live in a time where we have so called endless information at our fingertips its something
    is anyone else pissed they can't have fun all day and have to work?

I'm getting in the groove. Took the weekend completely off work and went camping. No internet.
    Now back to 10 hour work days with shitty VPN.

I continue to self isolate and get in more rides from my house than ever before. This is one more time I'm glad I live in the mountains. Broke a freewheel and a local shop guy got a six pack for taking off the old one and putting on the spare. New spare ordered to my door and plugging on. I'm tired of mud season, but that happens every year. My oldest two may kill each other before this is over. I do try to get them all out for one ride a week in a place that isn't out our front door. Longer drive than ride to the desert right now and they are chaffing at the intermediate rides, but I just can't risk going harder when an emergency room visit will take away resources from someone who is sick.

Just sharing my rationalizations. The weird thing I see is groups of older people all walking together in the neighborhood. The exact demographic that they say needs to be apart seems to be the group together. Last time in the desert the only people we saw were five retires getting out of a van together. Maybe they are all related, or maybe we all need to do a better job of reaching out to our elders so they aren't so lonely they take those chances for human interaction?

Anyway, hope all of you are heathy .

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    is anyone else pissed they can't have fun all day and have to work?
    you mean pissed if you couldn't work and couldn't have fun all day?
    bumps are for poor people

Crying

Maybe it's not a black/white situation andpeople need to slowly wean themselves off skiing and get closure on the season. Or they see that nothing will prevent a full on lockdown like in UK, France, and Italy and are trying to make the most of it before then. Public perception and individual circumstances change day by day, and eventually it's time to hang 'em up. There's been a couple of weeks to get closure though

Yeah, I thought it was rich that people who had already put in over 100 days this season were all of a sudden like "ok guys, let's not ski anymore". I made my last turns 3 weeks ago anticipating some closures coming. I can't bring myself to travel to run up one of my favourite mountain trails because I know that it is one of the few places you can still park and it will be absolutely crawling with people. Anyone who thinks they can backcountry ski 100% safe is kidding themselves

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Crying
    That's the real FOMO. I'm busier now than before this started.

I’m busier and have a kid to help with online learning. Not complaining.

Quote Originally Posted by skiitsbetter View Post
    Anyone who thinks they can backcountry ski 100% safe is kidding themselves
    Anyone who thinks they can do literally anything 100% safe is kidding themselves.

FTW

/thread.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Anyone who thinks they can do literally anything 100% safe is kidding themselves.
    Where do I start?
    The list of how I can hurt myself is very long
    Only been put under on the OR table 6 times that's not too bad

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Believe that was a radio tower maintenance crew, getting creative with work commute.
    you must be right. something about essential trips only, direct lines, minimizing vectors, etc.
    bumps are for poor people

Yup. End of thread.

Eagle County, CO getting all insulated:

Outdoor recreation activity at Parks, Open Spaces, or Open Lands is limited to Local Residents
    Then the Foggy exemption:

“Local Residents” are those persons whose primary residence is in Eagle County. In addition:
    i.
    In the case of the use of Parks, Open Spaces, or Open Lands in the Upper Colorado River area, “Local Residents” include residents of Grand County.

ii.
    In the case of the use of Parks, Open Spaces, or Open Lands in the Roaring Fork River area, “Local Residents” include residents of Garfield and Pitkin Counties.
    Sorry Summit.

Out walking the dog, saw some special einstein ride a street bike past 2 closure signs then up a steep icy one lane seasonal park road, dragging his feet the whole way.

Was that mall walker?

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Eagle County, CO getting all insulated:

Then the Foggy exemption:

Sorry Summit.
    Mother fucker! I was going to go ice fishing on Nottingham tomorrow!

I think it is a smart move.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    Out walking the dog, saw some special einstein ride a street bike past 2 closure signs then up a steep icy one lane seasonal park road, dragging his feet the whole way.

Haha. I appreciated the under-the-breath commentary at the end.

I’m in a unique situation and setting. I live at the end of the road in a remote community with extremely limited infrastructure and services.

Trailheads (Sno Parks) I usually use are a couple miles from my house. Right now at 7000’ I can skin out the door and ski home.

I have not stopped backcountry skiing, but I’ve certainly dialed things back. I do a lot of solo skiing on a regular basis, so I actively and purposefully manage risk in the backcountry all the time. I generally avoid large groups in the backcountry, preferring a group of 3-4 max.

Anything bad can happen to any of us at any time. We always need to be responsible backcountry users. I’m glad that there is some attention being paid to personal responsibility and and decision making. SAR incidents are always something to be avoided.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

this popped up on a friend’s FB feed right now

❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️

So.......................
    Yesterday I witnessed first hand a very interesting situation so here goes.....
    I'm at the Maint Shop at the Mtn. with TS fueling up the truck and 4 folks walk up to me at the pumps with skis, packs on. I kindly let them know that access to the resort is closed as per USFS/Corona virus stay at home practices. I realize that the main person leading this possible trip is someone I know from the Hwy 4 area. We exchange greetings and then it turns odd..........
    The reply to me first was, this is USFS land so it's mine and I can go where I want to.
    ANSWER-as Skyline is the permit holder of the acreage to operate, we can at our will decide to close things for safety concerns but this closure is mandated by the USFS for our property as well as other campgrounds and such under the eye of them.
    Are you going to arrest me? was the 2nd question.
    ANSWER-no, but I can if needed.
    Where are you headed was my question.
    To The Mokelumne Canyon, Camp Irene was the answer.
    We are going up along the crest of the resort then down Grouse Canyon into the Moke.
    In concern I let them know that was possibly the longest route you could take to get to where they were headed and you couldn't be picking a more unsafe route given the recent storm and Avalanche Danger of 3 considerable. Grouse is notorious for dangerous travel in unsafe conditions, super terrain trap from both sides which would most likely bury you deep in a terrain trap/gully.
    The 3 other members of the party were looking at me with stares of WTF? A mix of we want to go, but what you are saying is scaring the shit out of us, why hasn't our leader done his homework and designed a better path for us to travel.
    All were seemingly unprepared for an avalanche rescue given the attire, gear selection, attitude and blank stares of "what do you mean we can't go".
    Prepared or not the travel plan itself was dangerous and 3x as long as the safest possible route (which could be navigated under current conditions with a solid party). AND........Camp Irene is way up river from the drop in below Grizz thought on their part, arduous in best conditions
    I was asked at one point somewhat sarcastically, "have you ever been down there before". My reply was over 20 times, mostly under S&R circumstances both for live and dead body recoveries. I then shared, C'mon you guys, you know me, you know my history with Avalanche mitigation here and Search & Rescue. My job is to create the safest conditions possible for our guests and employees and what you are planning to do is highly unsafe. I recommended the safest travel path possible and also suggested they reconsider as the goal was super lofty for a 12pm start to get to Camp Irene. The best way is to go over Reba! But also suggested they reconsider for another time.
    Not one of them responded in any other way than disappointment that I ruined their day. What I feel I did was to help avoid a possible S&R event for folks who had no idea of what was going on with the current BC conditions.
    If it helps, the lead person for them was wearing wool pants/gaiters....not that that is bad but it showed a real lack of what they were going to get themselves into. The trek back out of there in 30" of heavy wet type snow, 2500' of elevation gain alone would crush most! And the kid wearing the Bomber hat with huge ear flaps certainly wasn't prepared for what was ahead.
    They walked off and I hoped in my mind they got in their car and returned to Hathaway Pines.
    There were sooooooo screaming red flags about the pending adventure it was shocking to see the lack of responsibility from someone I've casually known for 20yrs.
    Anyway, let's hope we don't have a S&R event over the next few days.
    Peace
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.