Page 39 of 70 FirstFirst ... 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Maybe keep the crowds down with online reservations for the parks? Tell the Tourons there are no services - come prepared?

At least there would be some business activity in the towns outside the parks but not the summertime boom.

This goes for many mountain towns. Like what’s going to happen to Summit County this summer? Will Frangers be allowed to visit?
    FS has closed all 'developed rec areas' until further notice - to include day use areas, campgrounds, etc. Maybe maintained parking areas/toilets/trailheads too.
    I bet FS road gates remain closed for some time.

We're too far for franger day trips, and festivals/events/races/activities cancelling by the day. At least for now, there are no hotels or vrbo, and no campgrounds aside from dispersed. And with no events, sit down restaurants, and FS stuff closed .. Not sure when/if the 'non-resident restrictions' lift to the extent tourism makes sense for the tourist.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    I certainly hope so. I don't know what businesses can possibly survive if not. I keep thinking about how good it would be if this covid awfulness never happened. It's only lead to death suffering and loss.
    yeah +1 man.

This feels like the old timers stories of the 'quiet years' when the silver market crashed. "slipped into that netherworld, into that strange room with a single door that opened only into the past"

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    just some random new guy, registering for a forum he's interested, to post that as a first post? Yeah, right.
    What time is it in Russia, I wonder?

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    that sounds Canadian, in BC elementry was K to grade 7, junior high was 8-10 and senior high was 11 & 12
    Close--Detroit. K-7, 8=9, 10-12.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    just some random new guy, registering for a forum he's interested, to post that as a first post? Yeah, right.
    lol, good catch

More close calls and deaths in my zone since the shutdown despite overall lower avalanche danger ratings. And non-avalanche related accidents

CDOT might have closed Loveland Pass for parking issues, but the desire to close it for rider wrecks and avalanche close calls coincided closely.
    Santa Barbara County SAR has been busier then ever since the shut down. Not avi related, but I suspect similar trends are occurring othe places as a new generation of newbies hit the great outdoors.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

There are no trustworthy antibody tests that are available currently.
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH....
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

I don’t know what the hell happened to this thread but where do I signup to get my ski town cunts hat?
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    I don’t know what the hell happened to this thread but where do I signup to get my ski town cunts hat?
    Agreed.
    And it needs to retain the "C" in Cunt (no "K"), so at a glance it still looks like Coors.
    Ski Town in the Banquet square is good, but for mine I'm going to need to add a "Wanna-be".

Definitely a cunt, but live in the wrong place.
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

my accountant is setting up the llc right now
    my lawyer says we might have some issues if we use the phrase "ski town" cunts since it's alrady trademarked by the bros in vail

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Santa Barbara County SAR has been busier then ever since the shut down. Not avi related
    One could only hope . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH....
    Do you know something I don't? Feel free to share...
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Just a reminder that today is the anniversary of the Sheep Creek avalanche that killed 5. Spring Skiing still has its dangers. Stay safe out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    Just a reminder that today is the anniversary of the Sheep Creek avalanche that killed 5. Spring Skiing still has its dangers. Stay safe out there.
    Dang, was that 7 years ago, now?
    Old's Cool.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    my accountant is setting up the llc right now
    my lawyer says we might have some issues if we use the phrase "ski town" cunts since it's alrady trademarked by the bros in vail
    Only a total cunt would sue over that copy write.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    First time in 7 years I didnt ski on this day. Still got out for a nice pedal.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted26 View Post
    I've also been really hung up on what to do about national parks. No good answer there. If GNP reopens I don't think they could open visitor centers or public restrooms, park entrance would have to be free to minimize interactions. No way you could run the free shuttles. Lodging in the park would also be pretty questionable. If/when they open it would have to be some version of "you're on your own", expect limited visitor services, no park concessionaires. I don't know if the park service would go for that, but at the same time I abhor the idea of leaving parks closed. Leaving Yellowstone and Glacier closed all summer would crush small businesses in gateway communities, but so would corona I suppose.
    Allowing use without having sanitation facilities open is a nonstarter, IMO. Even at 50% of normal traffic, there's no way the parks could handle the amount of human waste that would end up being left behind in obvious areas. Even in the Custer-Gallatin NF, where I'd expect a somewhat higher level of backcountry awareness than of NP visitors, they report that every time they close a latrine because it's full and they can't get it pumped right away, they end up with crap deposited nearby.

This is the double-edge sword with some of these closures. The lowest common denominator keeps creating issues that can either be dealt with in a manpower-intensive, interaction-intensive way (which is often not feasible from a staffing standpoint even under the best of conditions), or they just close the gates and call it a day (or close the gates and park the LEO half a mile beyond them to write citations).

Some of the areas near me have been closed (both public lands and private lands traditionally open for non-motorized access), in part due to community pressure because people were observed being asshats in various degrees. The public closure in particular (Cutler River Drainage in the WMNF) is one that I know we feel somewhat differently about, but the amount of asshattery that happens in Tuckerman Ravine in a normal April makes me think that closing all access is probably the only reasonable alternative.

Anyone suggesting that if you tell people to "be prepared" not to have services they will be has apparently never been around tourists in the mountains or the national parks. If you need a ranger to tell you not to try to take a selfie with a bison, "be prepared" doesn't go very far. The idiots probably aren't as numerous as they seem to be, but their behavior stands out.

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    4/20 on the 69er, nice!

A DUC with a Dirty Dog rotor...pretty pimp for 2007!
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Lockdown trials practice

www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Colorado is lifting stay-at-home orders on Sunday and Eagle County may open up before that...

https://www.cpr.org/2020/04/20/as-co...irus-marathon/

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...ad-of-april-26

Everyone rush to Eagle and do some mtb and skinning and get that economy going!

Quote Originally Posted by skiracer88_00 View Post
    Colorado is lifting stay-at-home orders on Sunday and Eagle County may open up before that...

https://www.cpr.org/2020/04/20/as-co...irus-marathon/

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...ad-of-april-26
    To be clear, that is for Eagle County residents. not for all of Denver to go to Eagle. Denver is still under the State and Denver stay at home orders for the moment.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

The Ethics of Outdorr Recreation in Times of COVID-19

Putting this here and ducking before the ski town poo slingers come back.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/e...om-coronavirus

“Unfortunately, I see bad behavior every day from locals and out of towners alike. We're all in this together people,” said Bruce Hyde Jr., co-owner of Mehuron's Supermarket. Louise Johnson, a real estate agent in Milton Vermont said her husband was recently harassed while driving a car with Pennsylvania plates. “His work car is registered in Pennsylvania,” Johnson wrote. “Last week, he was dangerously tailgated, and a passing car shouted at him to go back to his own state.”

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

I have been divorced a little over a year and a few days ago an old girlfriend who I haven't seen in like 35 years found my number and contacted me. We had both been trying to track each other down for a while. Anyway, she wants to meet in another state next week and hang out for a couple of days. She is still hot as shit so I'm going to roll the covid dice, fuk it. What would you do?

I do have an RV that we can stay in and avoid others, staying in a hotel just seems like a bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by 3PinGrin View Post
    I have been divorced a little over a year and a few days ago an old girlfriend who I haven't seen in like 35 years found my number and contacted me. We had both been trying to track each other down for a while. Anyway, she wants to meet in another state next week and hang out for a couple of days. She is still hot as shit so I'm going to roll the covid dice, fuk it. What would you do?

I do have an RV that we can stay in and avoid others, staying in a hotel just seems like a bad idea.
    When poon tang is involved all common sense usually goes out the window. Go for it, report back with pics.