Page 61 of 70 FirstFirst ... 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,525 of 1748
    Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Then you would be able to hike about 12 yards in Western Washington. Nobody is stepping off a trail for someone to pass out here.
    I've hiked a few times in Western Washington and don't recall vegetation being unusually dense or people unusually inconsiderate--I'll assume you're talking about the former. I guess I was lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I've hiked a few times in Western Washington and don't recall vegetation being unusually dense or people unusually inconsiderate--I'll assume you're talking about the former. I guess I was lucky.
    Yeah, I don't get it. Maybe I'm hiking/biking in the wrong places but everywhere I've gone people seem respectful of distance and there is always a place to pull off. Granted, I've altered plans several times. Examples include at Wallace Falls, because we had small kids, we went on the old rail bed trail instead of the single track near the river since it was way wider and less crowded. Last weekend, went to MTB at Duthie Sat morning. It was way too crowded so I just headed across the street for XC in Grand Ridge which I barely saw anybody.
    "Great barbecue makes you want to slap your granny up the side of her head." - Southern Saying

I'll also add that I trail run 2x a week from my house into Llandover Woods and Boeing Creek parks always sans-mask. Also don't encounter too many people and can easily pass by with 6 ft of distance.
    "Great barbecue makes you want to slap your granny up the side of her head." - Southern Saying

wife and I made a gruesome error in judgment and hiked up white pine on a weekend here a few weeks ago (which I imagine is something like what everything outside of metro seattle/sf bay/etc is like these days) and it was horrifying, and we were glad we had masks. people in jeans, flip flops, boomboxes, groups of 15+ clogging the trail, and so on... once you got higher than the average idiot is willing to hike it was business as usual, but the lower ~2 miles might as well have been a farmers market in town. so I get it if you're in one of these giant metro areas that is having its local trails beshitted by the displaced unwashed masses, I would certainly not go up lake blanche or mt olympus here on a weekend.

it differs a lot depending on where you live I am sure. this morning's 20mi pre-work mtb ride (that started at my house) I passed by maybe 5 souls, all at a distance... I realize that's not a thing that happens in most of CA. but it is a thing that happens here.

That's why we have rules.
    Any reasonable reading of CA's rules says "wear masks when near people on trails less than 8' wide."

Those who cannot abide the community standard need to avoid other people and limit their activities to respect the right of the majority.
    The "community standard" (no masks on trails) and the "rules" (masks when within 6' of someone) are currently misaligned. I guess that's my point. Also was just curious about the community standard on TGR. Seems to be about 50/50 pro-mask on trails to anti-mask on trails (with only shaft getting all agro about it)

It's especially annoying when the people on trails could be from anywhere in the country...which is an entirely separate issue and the reason JH, SD, Tahoe, and other vacation destinations which did well at first, are currently experiencing outbreaks. 20 people on a bus from Utah, for example, just brought COVID with them to Jackson last week.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Another option is if you are that uptight, stay home. My wife hasn't biked all year, she is uptight about catching it on a trail but doesn't complain what others do without masks.
    It sounds like if you and all your homies to wore masks, your wife could feel safe and get out there and bike!

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    i will say if I pass anyone with a mask in the future I may be extra respectful due to your thoughts.
    Thanks, I'm sure they'll appreciate it!

Still genuinely waiting to figure out what the benefit of not wearing a buff is.

The Ethics of Outdorr Recreation in Times of COVID-19

I’ve been having fun finding lesser known or travelled trails within two hours of Denver. It’s not hard to get away from ridiculous trailhead scenes like Herman Gulch TH off I70. Passed it last week - I’ve never seen it more parked up. Cars were parked all the way up the on and off ramps
    Who the fuck wants to hike that trail with that many people?

When I backpack I hit more remote trails that take hours on forrest roads to get to, not too worried about those.

I’m more talking about a day hike with the wife and kid, hitting Rattlesnake Ledge, Snow Lake trail, Denny Creek, Franklin Falls, Tiger Mtn, Mt Si, etc. The post Amazon pre Covid crowds were horrible to begin with. Now that the weather is nice and everything is still closed it’s funneled more people to those already crowded trails within 20-40 miles of Seattle.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    <snip>
    Who the fuck wants to hike that trail with that many people?
    Apparently all those people.

Quote Originally Posted by shaft

Still genuinely waiting to figure out what the benefit of not wearing a buff is.
    well when it’s 85F++ within 5 mins of the direct sun hitting you, it’s a lot easier to breathe...

Quote Originally Posted by shaft View Post
    20 people on a bus from Utah, for example, just brought COVID with them to Jackson last week.
    where'd you read/hear that?

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    "It's the fucking tourists!!!"

::::: pounds IPAs 8" away from 50 other super local bros:::::

Quote Originally Posted by shaft View Post
    To be clear: If you are refuse to wear a mask on a 2ft wide trail when passing people and often breathing heavily, you are not following CA state guidelines...which only allow exempt outdoor masks if you are never within 6ft of another person. This is true for hiking, trail running, and mtn biking...as well as the same activities on pavement. "I only passed three people today," is not an excuse. "I only walk on 12' wide fire roads," is arguably an excuse.

If your state guidelines are somehow different, please post them and highlight where you're getting your info. If your state guidelines require masks when hiking within 6ft of people and you are specifically leaving it at home or in your pocket, you are an anti-masker. When I pass you, and you're huffing and puffing that sweet, sweet, COVID breath, what I see is an unempathetic dickbag and can only assume you attend MAGA anti-mask rallies in your free time.
    In Oregon, masks are required (a)indoors and (b) outdoors if you can’t maintain 6’ of space.

Our local trail system is full of “unempathetic dickbags” and “anti-maskers”, ranging from small kids to senior citizens hiking and riding. I haven’t seen a face covering since mid-April. Like Summit said several pages ago, infection risk depends on proximity and time. I and apparently everybody else in our community, is OK with maybe twice in an outing, passing as close as 4’ from someone for 1 second without a face covering. Most of the time we don’t see much of anybody after the first 10 minutes.

It sucks. You’d hate it here.

As a reminder, when this thread started we were debating whether it was even okay to go for a walk and risk injury that results in hospitalization. Now people are lucky enough to enjoy the outdoors every day, but openly and purposefully refusing to wear masks to protect those around them.

Wear a buff on your neck. Pull it up when you pass me. I'll do the same for you. It just ain't that hard.
    To me, the risk of crashing while trying to pull up a mask, plus the risk of infecting yourself from touching the mask all the time, Is way higher than the risk of contracting Covfefe from a 1 second outdoor exposure from 4’ away. Plus, if I end up at an ER or Urgent Care because of the crash, my covfefe risk shoots through the roof.

Having to adjust one's behavior to satisfy the most risk-averse person you might theoretically encounter is also "totalitariansim". That's why we have rules--hopefully based on science, not on Trump, so that there is a community standard that some will feel is too strict, some will feel is too lenient, and hopefully will satisfy the majority. Those who cannot abide the community standard need to avoid other people and limit their activities to respect the right of the majority.
    Very well said

^ +1

I’ve been mountain biking every day almost and not wearing a mask. I try to avoid crowded trails like I did before there was a pandemic. So now I’m a Trump voter? Just trying to catch up.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

I hold my breathe when I pass people on the trails and try to avoid peak hours and popular trails. I feel like I've been successful in avoiding people and the crowds everyone has talked about and I've seen at certain teailheads. I don't wear a mask when biking, hiking, or running. I have been very vigilant about wearing a mask in public otherwise and how I purchase products and trips to the store.

Maybe I should wear a buff when I run and bike? I'm not sure my exposure is that great on the trails but there are those occasions when you pass that woman overly perfumed that makes you think.

A buff does not work with a full beard.

FYI, buffs are about the least effective form of face covering for Covid, better than nothing, barely. I think they are better than a bandana maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    FYI, buffs are about the least effective form of face covering for Covid, better than nothing, barely. I think they are better than a bandana maybe.
    Not to be a smart ass, but why?.....(thinking cuz you can breathe through them too easy?)

*I’ve been wearing buffs....but thinking about changing over to da mask when/if school starts back up.....(buff will be too hot to have on in school all day)

Quote Originally Posted by BC. View Post
    Not to be a smart ass, but why?.....(thinking cuz you can breathe through them too easy?)

*I’ve been wearing buffs....but thinking about changing over to da mask when/if school starts back up.....(buff will be too hot to have on in school all day)
    buffs are 1-ply, cotton usually, designed primarily to stretch. the least effective of all common improvised masks. less effective than cutting a t shirt apart iirc. the most effective improvised mask I think is made from a doubled over vacuum cleaner bag. (so a bit of lol to the angry warriors decrying the “anti-maskers” on trails and flexing the buff)

btw if you think a buff is hot in the summer try wearing a proper mask!

^^
    Single layer of fairly open weave fabric.

I think most effective masks have multiple layers of densely woven or random strand fabric.

Thanks...sounds right....”was” a big fan of the Buff....gotta find something new for school.

You all talking about effectiveness for you to not catch the Rona from somebody else or you to not spread it by accident (assuming that you’re asymptomatic)?
    Last edited by bodywhomper; 07-08-2020 at 10:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BC. View Post

buff even has a statement on their website about it. It has changed a few times throughout the pandemic

I haven’t really been around anybody besides family since March...it’s why I wore a buff for my once every 2 weeks curbside Home Depot visits.....lol

When in school, I’m in the wringer all day with 1st-3rd graders...so I need something to protect me from those germ farms.......it’s why I was wondering why the buff is the least effective?

^^^You need this for protection from 6-8yos