Page 10 of 70 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    OR's are still available for trauma and other emergencies and for non emergencies like cancer surgery that can't wait months or longer for the virus to pass --although it varies from hospital to hospital. Hospital beds are a problem some places and will be a problem everywhere. Supplies are a problem now. UCDavis where my son works is a 625 bed hospital that as of yesterday had 12 Covid patients. There will soon be many mo
    We don't all agree on what is ok to do and not to do. I hope we can all agree on this--more than ever before what each of us does impacts everyone else. If you get hurt bad there's a chance one of the 30 people it takes ti rescue you will give it to some of the others. If you get covid you've increased my chances of getting it. If you get the last ventilator the next person dies. If you stand too close I may get sick. If you take two packages of TP the next person does without. Given that, people have a right to be more judgmental than most of us are ordinarily comfortable with. That's going to be hard for a lot of Americans to tolerate, but we have no choice. What I hear in this thread and others is people, including me, making their own choices, their own risk assessments. For a lot of us cheating and getting away with it is a respected part of life--like a DB tugging on a jersey while the ref can't see. We can't think that way now--we have to follow the rules, including the ones we think make no sense.
    Well stated, and may your son be safe and well. ( That goes for the rest of you too)

Personally I don't give a fuck what people do. BUT....

Don't post it on social media. Right now we don't really need your stoke.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

The Ethics of Outdorr Recreation in Times of COVID-19

Thanks for posting that old goat. I’m going to borrow some of that text.

Regarding the mtb pre-season stuff, for the US Olympic swim team to pull the plug, it took very intelligent and thoughtful analysis by their seasoned medical leads, input from cdc rep, and doctor from that bio lab isolation place in Nebraska to have develop the argument for the organization to pull the plug, mostly because that organization is basically run by its stars, impulsive 25 year old, top tier athletes. The mtb race organizers need to step-up and lead. The big enduro by me that is usually scheduled for the spring was postponed until fall....

have a pariah river trip early April. debating it now. new to the idea of getting permits. Not sure how hard it is to get this permit.
    off your knees Louie

Quote Originally Posted by new yabyum View Post
    Well stated, and may your son be safe and well. ( That goes for the rest of you too)
    2 sons, future DIL all work in the hospital. My hierarchy of fear is: one or more of them dying>>>me on ventilator>>>>>me dying.

OR's are still available for trauma and other emergencies and for non emergencies like cancer surgery that can't wait months or longer for the virus to pass --although it varies from hospital to hospital. Hospital beds are a problem some places and will be a problem everywhere. Supplies are a problem now. UCDavis where my son works is a 625 bed hospital that as of yesterday had 12 Covid patients. There will soon be many more.

We don't all agree on what is ok to do and not to do. I hope we can all agree on this--more than ever before what each of us does impacts everyone else. If you get hurt bad there's a chance one of the 30 people it takes ti rescue you will give it to some of the others. If you get covid you've increased my chances of getting it. If you get the last ventilator the next person dies. If you stand too close I may get sick. If you take two packages of TP the next person does without. Given that, people have a right to be more judgmental than most of us are ordinarily comfortable with. That's going to be hard for a lot of Americans to tolerate, but we have no choice. What I hear in this thread and others is people, including me, making their own choices, their own risk assessments. For a lot of us cheating and getting away with it is a respected part of life--like a DB tugging on a jersey while the ref can't see. We can't think that way now--we have to follow the rules, including the ones we think make no sense.
    This ^^^

very well stated - Thank you...

2 sons, future DIL all work in the hospital. My hierarchy of fear is: one or more of them dying>>>me on ventilator>>>>>me dying.
    I respect that you have loved ones in HC - but the UCDavis example does not apply to New England where many of our hospitals are under 120 beds & 400 ppl overran Tuckerman’s this weekend. We even had parking backed up 1/4 mile for the Long Trail......

Best to your family in this crazy time. Safety to all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post

As the intensity here has increased (especially within the past few days) my position has evolved.

My wife works at the hospital and we've had a lot of discussion around skiing. Guess a skier came in yesterday with a broken tibia. The staff was pissed as resources are scarce right now.

Quote Originally Posted by swimmy View Post
    My wife works at the hospital and we've had a lot of discussion around skiing. Guess a skier came in yesterday with a broken tibia. The staff was pissed as resources are scarce right now.
    ^^^ This

Take the example of a typical New England Hospital with ~100 beds

• 10 will be occupied due to Child Birthing
    • 10 will be resources for Mental Health
    • 20 will have persons with Chronic Illness
    • 15 will have placement issues with discharge

This is the usual before Orthopedics & capacity is sub 50%.

Quote Originally Posted by iriponsnow View Post
    I respect that you have loved ones in HC - but the UCDavis example does not apply to New England where many of our hospitals are under 120 beds & 400 ppl overran Tuckerman’s this weekend. We even had parking backed up 1/4 mile for the Long Trail......

Best to your family in this crazy time. Safety to all of them.
    Not sure what you disagree with. No way should people be doing Tuck's right now. Even if they moved it to Sacramento. I'm surprised it isn't closed.

^^ They closed it yesterday, I believe.

Meanwhile BC jongs are setting off slides in Utah left and right.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Quote Originally Posted by swimmy View Post
    As the intensity here has increased (especially within the past few days) my position has evolved.

Yeah. I was kind of amazed at the sudden influx of BC/sidecountry gnar going down. I think what may be effective for some people is making them realize the LAST place you want to go is the hospital right now. For any reason. There is enough shit they are dealing with and bros getting wrecked should not be taxing the docs/nurses/resources more right now.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    and some non-jongs making questionable decisions / getting unlucky / however you wanna look at it... the guy who took the ride down superior is no bc newb (he's a really nice guy and I like him and am very happy he's ok, but he's far more experienced than I am)

People need to read that Ophir/Telluride avalanche accident account.

https://www.outsideonline.com/241109...virus-colorado
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

^^ They closed it yesterday, I believe.

The person who got slid down Superior and the one on Mt Ogden weren't BC jongs. I don't know them but they both ski in the backcountry quite a bit. Not saying that makes them smart or experts, but thinking it's a bunch of newbie bc skiers getting it wrong only makes it easier for other experienced skiers to discount.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post

but how will my followers know of my poundkeypoopfishprowess ?
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Ha! ^^
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by claymond View Post
    The person who got slid down Superior and the one on Mt Ogden weren't BC jongs. I don't know them but they both ski in the backcountry quite a bit. Not saying that makes them smart or experts, but thinking it's a bunch of newbie bc skiers getting it wrong only makes it easier for other experienced skiers to discount.
    Seems like the BC regulars think that the SIP should only apply to the BC jongs, and that they themselves can carry on in the manner they were before.

There is a lot of self-centered thought processes going on right now amongst outdoor enthusiasts. The only reason to go outside for a bike/hike/ski right now is to get some fresh air and exercise. If you are doing something that gets any kind of adrenaline going at this point, youre doing it wrong IMO.

To all the people saying that they need to MTB or ski, or whatever "for their mental health"... what the hell do you do when youre injured? Most of us have had injuries that lasted months, and it sucked... but we figured it out. When i broke my leg a few years ago i would have killed to be able to just cruise around my neighborhoods side streets on my bike. Act as if you are injured right now, but through pure fucking luck have the ability to still walk, wipe your own ass, and ride a bike on your neighborhood side streets. The sacrifices people will make to chase powder vs. the sacrifices those same people are unwilling to make during a worldwide pandemic are disgusting.

I also find it rich that a number of posters have pointed out that social media posting of ski/mtb exploits right now is stupid and counterproductive... and then i see them posting photos of this morning's tour, or descriptions of yesterdays ski on these very forums.
    Last edited by californiagrown; 03-30-2020 at 10:45 AM.

My buddy and I secured a rogue river permit for a rafting trip end of May. Will probably have to cancel.

Darnit

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

My (civil contractor) neighbor cut a pump track along his curb line yesterday for his 6 & 9 yo's

Good dad move

Quote Originally Posted by claymond View Post
    Yeah, I was more so referencing this in general: https://snowbrains.com/42-human-trig...-past-5-days1/

Back when I ice climbed a lot on Mt Washington I used to read the Appalachian Mountain Club journal accident reports. It was inevitable that if the victim was not local the accident was described as due to them fucking up. If the victim was local they did everything right and it was just bad luck, especially if they were an AMC member.

Yeah, I was more so referencing this in general: https://snowbrains.com/42-human-trig...-past-5-days1/
    ehhh take snowbrains with some salt, a lot of those are folks eager to see their name on the UAC page. there were for sure some close calls, way more than there should have been, but some of those "avy" obs are things like "observed natural sluffing" or a 6" x 10' wind slab etc

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    ehhh take snowbrains with some salt, a lot of those are folks eager to see their name on the UAC page. there were for sure some close calls, way more than there should have been, but some of those "avy" obs are things like "observed natural sluffing" or a 6" x 10' wind slab etc
    And on top of that, they are reporting it from the valley.

Yeah, west facing Mt. Ogden sluffs new snow in the same spots after every storm when the sun comes out. For the entire 25 years I've lived here. But now it gets reported to the UAC, with a grainy 2 mile away cell phone photo, as if it's some new life saving revelation. End rant.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    And on top of that, they are reporting it from the valley.

Yeah, west facing Mt. Ogden sluffs new snow in the same spots after every storm when the sun comes out. For the entire 25 years I've lived here. But now it gets reported to the UAC, with a grainy 2 mile away cell phone photo, as if it's some new life saving revelation. End rant.
    we could have a whole thread for the eye-roll-inducing obs getting submitted to the UAC this year... a whole lot of "here's why we made the right decision even though all members of our party were simultaneously caught/carried"