Page 58 of 70 FirstFirst ... 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 ... LastLast
Results 1,426 to 1,450 of 1748
    Okies? For real?

That has to be up there with "shit Alta skiers say" in terms of proof people will find any reason possible to hate on a group of other people, for no other reason that just to get the hate juices flowing.
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    Okies? For real?

That has to be up there with "shit Alta skiers say" in terms of proof people will find any reason possible to hate on a group of other people, for no other reason that just to get the hate juices flowing.
    This was over 20 years ago so there is that. Maybe there was some kind of sports rivalry that we were unaware of. I don't know.

Parents are both from OK and moved to CA, can confirm. At least in the ag hubs and racist far North.

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    This was over 20 years ago so there is that. Maybe there was some kind of sports rivalry that we were unaware of. I don't know.
    TX--but it would take a lot of balls for a Texan to dis anyone in the mountains.

My mom was born in Kansas, lived in Ok for a few years, and they moved to Burbank. She was so young she acclimated immediately, but with her parents and older / extended family it was absolutely a thing going back to the dust bowl and the mass migration of Okies to SoCal. To them it was like dropping the n-bomb.

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/2b7e4c7...d-e8375fa5f5e6

The Ethics of Outdorr Recreation in Times of COVID-19

Not sure about the n-bomb level but having spent way too much of my youth in Bako, I can attest dustbowl era Okies were looked upon as scum of the earth for years after their arrival. By the time I was a kid in the 80s it was more or less the same as redneck and Merl had reclaimed the word as a source of pride so it didn’t have the same connotation anymore for most

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    One of the top ten reasons I don't miss living in the south. Growing up there, I just thought that was how life was going to be forever. I was allergic to everything, and had pretty bad asthma. Then I moved out west, and it just disappeared. Somehow though, I've developed new allergies in early spring the last few years, but that's only a few weeks a year instead of 6 months+
    Come to Central Oregon - pine pollen is horrendous here. It's the juniper though that gets to me

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    There is still a slight, deeply hidden resentment of "Okies" in California. Bigotry is a hard foe to vanquish.
    I think it was everywhere in the west.

When I was about 12 we moved to a house next door to this couple who had a twang in their voice. They had moved to PDX from California. They were none too pleased when my very bigoted Dad - who a slur for every ethnic group imaginable - said "Oh, you must be California-improved Okies" to their face. It was a tense six years there.

The irony is that Dad spent the first 12 years of his life in rural NC, then moved across the country to ID then OR at the late end of the Depression.

Oh yea - it turned out his mother's grandmother was an African slave who married an Irish indentured servant and moved from Barbados to Canada after he bought her out of bondage.

My brother and I played best 3 of 5 R/P/S to decide who got to tell him. That was fun...

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    <snip>
    My brother and I played best 3 of 5 R/P/S to decide who got to tell him. That was fun...
    You gotta finish this story, man... how did he take it?

It was fun. There was a pause and a bewildered look for a few moments, then
    "Well I'll be damned".

He was not touched by the love story of John Carter staying on to work the cane fields after his contract was up to pay for Mary's freedom.

Didn't change his bigotry though. He'd still make disparaging comments about African-Americans to me. I'd respond "you know you are insulting yourself...and me". Didn't matter to him - he was an equal opportunity bigot.

No point in trying rationalize with a bigot. If you could they wouldn't be bigots, right?

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Nope, no way I could overcome 80 years of prejudice
    Dad would have been a Trumptard. He loved simple solutions to complex problems.

It really is weird now outside.. people will have to accomodate to a new normal reality after this all will be over. What was normal to us before,now is forbidden like live concerts, movies in the cinema, theatres and all of the other places with a big gathering. When all of this will be over we will need some time to return to our normality and forget about sanitizers and masks. I have a whole pack of KN95 face masks at home, so something will always remain as a reminder of this days.
    Last edited by mcd3ab; 07-15-2020 at 08:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mcd3ab View Post
    It really is weird now outside.. people will have to accomodate to a new normal reality after this all will be over
    Ab-so-fucking-lutely.

Went to Seattle yesterday to get some car work done. 23 minutes from Issaquah to Centurylink Field at 7:30 AM, (20 miles), empty roads.
    75% of the lawyers at my wife’s downtown firm said they have no reason to ever go downtown again on a daily basis.
    Many restaurants have already closed for good.
    Meanwhile our local trailheads are packed more than I’ve seen in ~25 years, esp. on the weekends. I’ve never seen so many complete newbies. (Folks sitting straight upright, helmets on wrong on ebikes, lots of hiking families, all in jeans and cotton t-shirts, on mtn bike trails, dusty row boats with old rods tossed in the back at the boat launch, etc.)
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Ab-so-fucking-lutely.

Went to Seattle yesterday to get some car work done. 23 minutes from Issaquah to Centurylink Field at 7:30 AM, (20 miles), empty roads.
    75% of the lawyers at my wife’s downtown firm said they have no reason to ever go downtown again on a daily basis.
    Many restaurants have already closed for good.
    Meanwhile our local trailheads are packed more than I’ve seen in ~25 years, esp. on the weekends. I’ve never seen so many complete newbies. (Folks sitting straight upright, helmets on wrong on ebikes, lots of hiking families, all in jeans and cotton t-shirts, on mtn bike trails, dusty row boats with old rods tossed in the back at the boat launch, etc.)
    Hey, nothing wrong with blue jeans and t-shirts for hiking! As anyone who backpacked in the 70s will attest to, just be sure to lace up the waffle stompers, ha. Assuming no inclement weather of course.....

Definitely a new reality.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Yup, our local trailhead is jam-packed on weekends now. Lot of tourons, plus locals from the Big City (Bend) coming because tourons have overrun Phil's.

I don't have a problem with it. Instead of seeing maybe two other groups on a 2 hour ride, we now see four. And it's very cool to see the families out riding with their kids.

Oh yea, +1 for the days when all we had was cotton. I remember when 60/40 cloth was state-of-art outdoor clothing. Now they have two-layer goretex that packs smaller

proffesionals who don't go to the office also don't go out for lunch or coffee or burn fule or whatever and neither do the people who don't go to see them

I had an in initial video consult with my orthopedic surgeon yesturday, he was at his house, I was 400kms away at my house and neither one of us spent any money
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

The Ethics of Outdorr Recreation in Times of COVID-19

There’s a downtown sandwich/coffee shop called Specialties that basically my wife went to every day because it was in her building. They just went bankrupt.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    There’s a downtown sandwich/coffee shop called Specialties that basically my wife went to every day because it was in her building. They just went bankrupt.
    Whoa. I think any meeting that included lunch I’ve been in for the last 10 years had Specialties boxed lunch catering. Always good. Great cookies.

That sucks.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

When Top Pot folds, we'll know the shit has truly met the fan

Specialties cookies were amazing. My understanding was that they were shutting all of them to get out of leases. My guess is we see a reinvented Specialties if/when people start working in office buildings again. Just not as big as before.

Just saw Bravehorse Tavern closed for good. Without the Amazonians next door and wanting happy hour, there was no reason to try to keep it going. Downtown Seattle is a complete ghost town. After going in almost every day for 7yrs, I expect it will be pretty rare for me going forward.

^^^Yeah, Mrs. Plug just said that she saw they were filing for bankruptcy. I will miss their cookies as well.

This is what the beginnings of a great depression look like. Economic inertia will keep things humming along for a bit longer, but this is going to make 2008-9 look like nothing.

Great Depression is a bit overstated. Solid recession? Sure.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    This is what the beginnings of a great depression look like. Economic inertia will keep things humming along for a bit longer, but this is going to make 2008-9 look like nothing.
    The economy will likely be “humming” along until the school year starts.

I had a coworker inform our team that she and family are moving back to NZ this weekend at least until end of December. She’ll be working from home in NZ. They will have a ski season. They will be able to have their kids attend in-class schooling. They will be able to spend quality time with extended family and friends.