Page 50 of 70 FirstFirst ... 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ... LastLast
Results 1,226 to 1,250 of 1748
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    .... bleach drinking hordes from the south ....
    nice job stereotyping!
    you'd fit right in

"we all do dumb shit when we're fucked up"
    mike tyson

Can we get the PolyAss crap out of this thread? There's plenty of other threads for that.

This thread is to talk about whether it's OK for us to start posting on the 'Gram about getting rad now that places are opening up.

Timberline opening on the 15th. Any mags going? Tell us how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    Didn't vote for him either, but before you act like the government's only inept under his reign, don't forget how marvelously the rollout of healthcare.gov went.
    I've been paying attention to this stuff through countless D & R Presidents. The Federal government can't ever seem to run things in an efficient manner no matter who's in charge. It's just par for the course. It's called bureaucracy. Just the nature of the beast and it only gets worse the larger it grows.

Healthcare.gov had some serious glitches at first. They got fixed. The ACA successfully insured 20 million people who didn't have insurance. Not enough, to be sure, but a significant number. The ACA is not how I'd do it, but it was probably the best that could be passed at the time.
    As far as efficiency--Medicare's administrative cost is about 5%, private for profit health insurance companies administrative costs average about 25%. In Sacramento and Truckee with have public utility districts supplying electricity. Cheaper than PGE and they don't turn the power off when the wind blows. At Donner Lake the water quality and availability improved dramatically when the private water company was taken over by the PUD.
    Govt certainly has it's bureaucracy, but so do corporations.
    The main reason govt doesn't function as well as people would like is because people want more services from the govt than they're willing to pay for.

Quote Originally Posted by phatty View Post
    Can we get the PolyAss crap out of this thread? There's plenty of other threads for that.
    Unpossible, there is a group of posters with nothing better to do all day. Can't get enough posts in polyass so they look for posts from people they have a hardon for and start a polyass argument.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    and the moderation team has decided to allow the poliassfuckery out of its basement home and be brought into the rest of the forums
    because evidently keeping it in its spot is not their job anymore or worth their time
    that or their poli antennas need serious fuckin recalibration
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

With a long weekend coming up here in B.C., it’s going to interesting to see how people negotiate government directives to limit ourselves to essential travel. The epidemiology tells us we need to limit our connectivity to 60% of normal to prevent another outbreak, which seems impossibly difficult for individuals to understand or apply. We all have our own perspective on what is essential. Many of my friends are taking this as an opportunity to road trip across the Province in search of adventure, but it’s no hardship for me to stay home and ride my bike, so I’m happy to do my part in balancing the equation. No comparison, no judgement.

Interesting to watch the new dynamics working out. More rural counties here in CA are openning but want the urbanites to stay away, yet its the urbanites who spend money there arnd keep their economies functioning. Kind of a "don't come and spend money here, wink, wink."

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Interesting to watch the new dynamics working out. More rural counties here in CA are openning but want the urbanites to stay away, yet its the urbanites who spend money there arnd keep their economies functioning. Kind of a "don't come and spend money here, wink, wink."
    Same here. They are closing down main street in Breckenridge for pedestrian traffic and allowing restaurants to offer open seating areas and tents in the street. But yeah, "everyone should stay within 10 miles of their home, wink wink".
    They are going to allow stuff to open June 1st and it's going to be a free for all. Campground are already open, restaurants, bars, hotels, airbnbs, etc will all be open as of June 1st. Should be interesting, and definitely cause a spike in cases in our area.

There seems to be a similar feeling brewing up here in Canada as well, albeit not even close to what seems to be happening in the states. People are just tired of this - it's like, we tried to do the right thing, and we hate it. So let's just slowly (but quickly) go back to normal - until the much touted second, worse wave comes of course and then we will really be locked down.

Seems humans just aren't wired to do anything proactively. We need to feel the pain before we react.

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    In Nevada County (Truckee) restaurants opening (with a list of conditions that will make a lot of owners say "Why bother") but hotels and STR's still closed. Not many restaurants in tourist towns can survive on locals only business--even if you throw in the second homeowners. And restaurants open but picnic areas and playgrounds closed. Hard to figure. Playgrounds I suppose I get--kids don't understand social distancing (neither do their parents) but it still seems inconsistent.

I think a lot of the openings are not being done because they will actually improve the economy but in order to quiet down the restless natives. Once a lot of business owners have exercised their freedoms (I don't think the Founding Fathers and Mel Gibson ever used the plural but whatever*) they'll figure it's not worth being open for the little business they're doing and close back up.

*FDR did but there were only 4, and haircuts and tattoos weren't on the list.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    In Nevada County (Truckee) restaurants opening (with a list of conditions that will make a lot of owners say "Why bother") but hotels and STR's still closed. Not many restaurants in tourist towns can survive on locals only business--even if you throw in the second homeowners. And restaurants open but picnic areas and playgrounds closed. Hard to figure. Playgrounds I suppose I get--kids don't understand social distancing (neither do their parents) but it still seems inconsistent.
    Nobody cleans picnic areas regularly. Reputable restaurants get cleaned regularly in normal times and even more so now (if they're opening again), not that I have any intention of eating in a dine-in situation anytime soon.

I've seen a lot of bitching about "x is open, why isn't y?", and a lot of people seem to be looking at the risk with opening x and y being similar, but ignoring the reward. Grocery stores are probably riskier than backcountry skiing for Covid-19 transmission, but the reward (people can get food) is much higher.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I think a lot of the openings are not being done because they will actually improve the economy but in order to quiet down the restless natives. Once a lot of business owners have exercised their freedoms (I don't think the Founding Fathers and Mel Gibson ever used the plural but whatever*) they'll figure it's not worth being open for the little business they're doing and close back up.
    Yeah, the "open back up now" crowd seems to be overlooking that without robust demand, supply doesn't do a lot of economic good.

It's also unfortunate that the lead time between relaxing restrictions and seeing a spike in hospital impact will keep people with short memories from putting the two together. If it was a quicker result, it would be a lot easier to open up gradually before people got restless because the next step was still on the horizon.

In WA they opened state parks and some trails this past week and then we hit the best weather we've had all year. 75+* and sunny for 4 straight days including the weekend. My family was getting a little restless so we wanted to get out. Guidance here is "stay close to home" but our local trail association said that means get there and back on a single tank of gas and don't buy anything there.

We headed to one of the old army forts on the coast and it wasn't too crowded. Plenty of space for social distancing. It felt so good to be out of the house and neighborhood. From talking to friends, apparently it was crazy here in Seattle area with overcrowded trails and cars parking up to a mile from the trailheads. I'm hoping more people will use the tank of gas approach so we can spread out a bit. It seems some people can't be bothered to try and think of out of the way places to go.

Or it could be that access to open space fucking blows in Washington compared to most of the western US. It's a combination of factors, but the lack of access points is a major contributor to crowded trails in this state, and that situation is exacerbated by the closures that are still in place throughout the state. I'm not saying that those access points should be opened now given the current circumstances, but I am advocating for improved access in general.

Outdoor is better than indoor.

But people are filthy monkeys so assume every gate handle and bathroom is a contaminated zone and keep your mask and hand washing protocol solid.

Counties with outsider restrictions WILL keep infections lower although businesses probably gone left and right.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

Quote Originally Posted by phatty View Post
    In
    ....... I'm hoping more people will use the tank of gas approach so we can spread out a bit. It seems some people can't be bothered to try and think of out of the way places to go.
    A radius of 1/2 tank of gas, leaving the remaining half for the return, feels about right - so around 250-350 miles round trip? If you can't find something to do in that area you're standards are too high. Or you're living in the wrong place

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    A radius of 1/2 tank of gas, leaving the remaining half for the return, feels about right - so around 250-350 miles round trip?
    Try 650 miles R/T.

That'll get me to a LOT of nice places...

Don't you wish they would just explicitly tell us what we should be doing, and why?

Stay home, but go outside. Don't travel anyhwere, but do it within a tank of gas. Shut down everything, except for some things. Don't wear a mask, but yeah, might wanna wear a mask. You can't visit anyone, but no gatherings more than 5 people. Stay 2m apart, except when you can't.

The Ethics of Outdorr Recreation in Times of COVID-19

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Try 650 miles R/T.

i went fishing last week
    it was soo worth it

Name:  278312E0-7E0C-4CAF-AB8F-2D797558BAC8.jpeg
Views: 618
Size:  324.3 KB

altho my camera crew had to get really close for the shot

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    i went fishing last week
    it was soo worth it

I've landed a few *really* hungry trout like that one over the years.

I've landed a few *really* hungry trout like that one over the years.
    With the lack of fish I'm seeing at Safeway I'd be tempted to keep that one.

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    i went fishing last week
    it was soo worth it

cant tell if that's a trout or a shiner?? dem shiners can be pretty aggro!

Works like a charm

https://www.instagram.com/p/CALcPbLh...d=if9akgv9gj58

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Try 650 miles R/T.

Well, if ya got one o' them fancy shmancy Proust electro-magneto fangled car thingies .........

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    Well, if ya got one o' them fancy shmancy Proust electro-magneto fangled car thingies .........
    I'm guessing TDI, loved my diesel VW wagon. Hell, my F150 will theoretically go over 600 if I'm getting at least 17mpg.