Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    Perfect!

1. Cell phone
    2. Headphones
    3. Sunglasses
    4. A snack
    5. Some water
    6. Booze of some kind
    7. Couple dog treats (you can give them to dogs that hot chicks are walking, don't put them in the same pocket as #4)
    8. Appropriate socks and footwear
    9. Weed
    10. Bluetooth Speaker

We're all set, then. The 10 Essentials.

Bonus:
    11. Drone camera (louder the better)
    Umm. Selfie stick?

It’s like you’ve never been in the wilderness.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    ^ha. This!

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    FOR THE SAKE OF WINTER, WE MUST STAY VIGILANT
    29 July 2020
    Open Letter from Vail Resorts CEO Rob Katz to Communities, Guests and Employees

What will the 2020-21 ski and snowboard season look like? We are still in the heat of July – still celebrating the successful opening of our resorts for summer – and that is the number one question we are getting across our 34 North American resorts. What lies ahead for winter? We remain optimistic that we’ll have a great ski season. And we are actively preparing our resorts to ensure our employees and guests have a safe and enjoyable experience this winter amid the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. But we also know that without strong, healthy communities, none of that matters.

We often talk about how our mountain resorts and communities are joined at the hip. We operate in the same ecosystem, we need each other to succeed and survive. The importance of this partnership was evident in the collective effort it took to safely reopen for summer. But that was not the end of the race – it was the beginning. For the sake of winter, we must stay vigilant with safety as our number one priority – now and through the entire winter season. There are two things we collectively must keep top of mind:

1. We cannot get complacent. With the recent COVID-19 resurgence in the United States and around the world, we need to assume that we will still be dealing with the impacts of the virus throughout the winter season. Even if new COVID-19 cases decline – nationally or locally – we must assume the virus will reemerge. We cannot relax restrictions or protocols. We cannot get caught trying to play catch up to the virus during the ski season. We have to remain out front in our approach. Exacerbating that reality is the fact that each one of our communities is a destination for visitors from countless other cities. This is our greatest strength, but it can also be a weakness. We cannot only look at the COVID-19 data in our local communities. By welcoming people to our resorts from other locations we need to realize that we will be taking on their COVID-19 experience as well. Therefore, for us to be successful we need to enforce protocols and procedures now that can work all season.

2. Safety is not optional. At Vail Resorts, we are strong advocates for face coverings and believe that in public gathering spaces – indoors and outdoors – everyone needs to wear a face covering at all times. There should be limited exceptions in areas designated for eating and drinking, but just as other tourist destinations have required, we must ensure that face coverings are not optional if you are walking around with a drink or snack in your hand. We also believe that physical distancing between unrelated parties is a must – which means events or other public gatherings that don’t allow for 6 feet of distancing should be restricted or limited. This goes for gatherings in town and on the mountain. We need to accept that this will likely be the reality for the full season. We are certainly not experts on infectious disease and cannot dictate the local regulations of our communities, but these are simple measures that will contribute to our collective success. And they need to be executed now, so they become ingrained well before the ski season begins.

To our guests, visitors, employees and residents: We need your support, compassion and understanding that staying vigilant in our communities now, and in the months ahead, will help us all have a successful winter. While we cannot completely control the behaviors of visitors, we are committed to enhancing our communications to our guests to ensure they at least understand our expectations of them when they come. We all know enforcement can be a challenge, but with repetition and local alignment, we can ensure people comply and respect this approach to safety.

COVID-19 has significantly impacted every one of our mountain resort communities. The closure of our resorts in March came with a heavy financial and human cost to our company, as well as to so many businesses and people throughout the towns, cities, counties, provinces and states where we operate. In the midst of these challenges, it has been inspiring to see how everyone has come together to support one another and help chart a course forward. We cannot lose that momentum.

All of us want to protect our local economies and our communities. All of us want a great ski and snowboard season. To make that a reality – all of us must remain vigilant. Together, let’s set a tone and demonstrate that we are leaders in offering the safest and most enjoyable experience, anywhere in the world.
    Talking a lot but saying anything...
    “A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.”
    ― Milton Friedman

Vail is running the lifts at Keystone and CB, but closed the bike parks. Fuck Vail and fuck Rob Katz.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Perfect!

1. Cell phone
    2. Headphones
    3. Sunglasses
    4. A snack
    5. Some water
    6. Booze of some kind
    7. Couple dog treats (you can give them to dogs that hot chicks are walking, don't put them in the same pocket as #4)
    8. Appropriate socks and footwear
    9. Weed
    10. Bluetooth Speaker

We're all set, then. The 10 Essentials™.

Bonus:
    11. Drone camera (louder the better)
    How do you wear socks with rubber flip flops?
    Forgot bag of rice for when you fall off the rock trying to take a selfie at the lake.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Vail is running the lifts at Keystone and CB, but closed the bike parks. Fuck Vail and fuck Rob Katz.
    I've ridden up Keystone and down the bike park trails a few times. It is fun but would be nice to have lift for sure. Good idea to pre-inspect some of the bigger obstacles. Those "no-bikes" signs are just a suggestion from what I understand.

I want to ride up with the wife on our Ebikes soon. Bring some food and booze and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    I've ridden up Keystone and down the bike park trails a few times. It is fun but would be nice to have lift for sure. Good idea to pre-inspect some of the bigger obstacles. Those "no-bikes" signs are just a suggestion from what I understand.

I want to ride up with the wife on our Ebikes soon. Bring some food and booze and stuff.
    I ride Keystone a few times a week.... a lap or partials... dressed for trail or enduro.

But with lifts you can do 4-6 laps in full armor with a DH lid. It changes how you ride too. Keystone is not a place I go full send without armor.

Normal year I could get after-work lift laps. I can't do that at Trestle or elsewhere.

So fuck Vail and fuck Rob Katz.

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Talking a lot but saying anything...
    That entire letter could be summed up with:

"We need our mountain communities to be responsible and follow pandemic guidelines if we are to have anything close to a normal ski season this winter."

The whole letter just sounds like he masturbates to the sound of his own voice. Pretty weak PR stunt on his part.

I ride Keystone a few times a week.... a lap or a few partials... dressed for trail or enduro.

But with lifts you can do 4-6 laps in full armor with a DH lid. It changes how you ride too. Keystone is not a place I go full send without armor.
    Oh totally. Agreed. I get it, had a pass there a few years.

Apparently Vail has opened their trails and are hauling bikes on the lift, I think any way.

I wonder if you could give the lifties a few beers to send the DH gear up on the gondi.

Oh totally. Agreed. I get it, had a pass there a few years.

Apparently Vail has opened their trails and are hauling bikes on the lift, I think any way.
    Vail and Beaver Creek have bike haul which makes it just insane that CB and Keystone don't. But if I'm getting in my car to drive, I can go to Vail in 40 minutes or Trestle in 60... that's a no brainer.

Rob Katz hates (real) mountain bikers.

I wonder if you could give the lifties a few beers to send the DH gear up on the gondi.
    heh nice idea. "yea man... I wanna send the boner log and the battleship... here a sixer for the gear... 24 rack if you let me get in with my bike"

What's really weird is that they're working on "closed" trails that I assume will remain "closed" at CB.

Has Trestle been packed this summer?

Normal year I could get after-work lift laps. I can't do that at Trestle or elsewhere.
    Snowmass is open till 4:45, 8pm Tuesday’s.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0242.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	2.34 MB 
ID:	335737

Name:	IMG_0260.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	2.62 MB 
ID:	335738

^the first time on Gonzo was a few "woah!" moments

I have a Snowmass pass... 4 days so far. But I didn't realize 8p Tuesdays... gonna take advantage of that.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Anyone else think it's kind of crazy to have a bike race where the majority of racers come from 500+ miles away in neighboring states in 3 weeks?

Quote Originally Posted by S_jenks View Post
    That entire letter could be summed up with:

"We need our mountain communities to be responsible and follow pandemic guidelines if we are to have anything close to a normal ski season this winter."

The whole letter just sounds like he masturbates to the sound of his own voice. Pretty weak PR stunt on his part.
    I was getting a kind of "you anti-maskers can stay the fuck away from our resorts, thanks in advance" vibe from the whole thing.

that’s the right message

I was getting a kind of "you anti-maskers can stay the fuck away from our resorts, thanks in advance" vibe from the whole thing.
    Katz is not someone I really want to defend, but if that's his message then good for him.

By Mike Kaplan, President/Chief Executive Officer, Aspen Skiing Company
    7/28/2020
    Valued guest,

We’re a month into summer here in Aspen Snowmass, and it’s been unlike any the Roaring Fork Valley has ever experienced. The pandemic has been incredibly difficult, but it’s also created valuable new perspectives. Our country is struggling through economic and social disruption not seen in generations. Understandably, many people want a return to “normal”—but perhaps we can do better than that.
    On our journey there, we all try to make the best of the current situation. One way is by getting back to the core of what’s important in our lives. For me, being in the mountains, going up and downhill, soaking in nature, getting closer to family and doing whatever I can to help my community have all taken on a heightened importance. As I bike or hike around familiar trails, I’m seeing new things, listening to perspective-shifting podcasts and wondering what our future holds—what will come back and what will be forever changed. Compared to those almost existential questions, the one I’ll attempt to answer here seems pretty straightforward: What’s the plan for the 2020-2021 ski season?

The short answer: We don’t have all the answers yet, but we are doing everything possible to anticipate how to open on time and stay open all winter. Of course, we must do it safely on behalf of our employees, our community, our guests and our partners, which I believe is possible with the right protocols in place. We’re learning valuable lessons during our summer operations, which are going quite smoothly to everyone’s enjoyment. Yes, there will be new procedures this winter, some of them annoying, and a handful of the exuberant social activities we are famous for will be greatly subdued. But there is an overarching opportunity in this new normal that I’m trying to embrace.

Like everything in our lives pre-COVID, skiing and snowboarding had become somewhat frantic. Many of us were caught up in the conquests—tracking our bowl laps and vertical—rather than fully appreciating the moments. I’m looking forward to refocusing on the core of what this sport is all about, what this place enables: a chance to connect deeply—with nature, with our physical selves and movements, and even with our sense of purpose and our roles in society. No doubt, next ski season will be more of an old school experience, but that could also translate to less noise, fewer distractions and, hopefully, more meaning.

The guest surveys we’ve conducted show that most of you are accepting of the necessary operational changes. But to the handful who say we should operate as normal and ignore our public health professionals, I want to be clear: We will only go back to business as usual at the ski areas and in our restaurants and hotels when the science and health experts give us the unanimous “all clear.” Until then, we’ll be serious and vigilant about keeping one another safe. Just like in skiing, we each must take responsibility for our own safety and absolutely avoid endangering others. If we can all own our roles and live them, I know we will open on time and remain open as long as the snow allows. To give you a more specific sense of our plans, I’ll outline a few changes here in addition to the sanitization and containment procedures already in place.

Loading and riding lifts and gondolas will have guidelines that limit contact between unrelated individuals. Social-distancing measures and facial-covering requirements will be in place in all restaurants, ticket offices, ski school facilities and other indoor or congested areas. We are looking at expanding outdoor seating, adding coverage and heat where possible. New technology will allow most transactions to take place online prior to or during each visit, with ticketing, waivers, menus, ordering and payments all moving to digital formats as much as possible. This will allow guests to enjoy more time recreating by getting on the mountain quicker and will limit the need to wait in lines or spend time in congested areas.

We will update you as we learn more and as additional protocols develop and evolve. Between now and winter, we would love to see you in person. But if you can’t make it, please know that we’re thinking about you, hoping you and your loved ones are well, and we are looking forward to welcoming you back here again.

Sincerely,
    Mike Kaplan

I thought Rob Katz's post was pretty reasonable, if not a bit pedantic. It seems like he's setting expectations that regardless of how good the COVID situation looks, they'll be enforcing social distancing and mask wearing even if the pandemic numbers drop. Given how eager people are to be done with this stuff, it seems like a reasonable post to make.

I wonder if a full face helmet would meet the requirement for face covering?

It did for the motorcycle race I did recently

Doesn't seem so definitive to me, but it's all there is.

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-08-02 at 8.18.02 PM.png 
Views:	73 
Size:	81.8 KB 
ID:	336131

Wherever I go, with my face partially hidden by my Sugarbush logo face mask, I inevitably get asked, “So what is going to happen this winter?” Since many jokingly believe I predicted the onset of the current pandemic and sold Sugarbush just a few weeks before COVID-19 hit, I am sure they are looking for a definitive answer. So, I am happy to give one.

Let’s start at the beginning. We will surely begin snowmaking as we normally do around November 1st if the temperatures permit. In fact, while you may think we have been taking the summer off and relaxing amid the uncertainty, we have actually been hard at work all summer long performing our routine maintenance on our 16 lifts and fleet of on-mountain vehicles. We are also starting to recruit for the winter season, and we are giving a lot of thought to what the new normal for this winter is going to look like. I am very confident for skiing and riding, but exactly what that will look like and what it means for auxiliary activities will only be known as we get closer to opening day. As our plans continue to develop, we will be sure to share them with you.

Science increasingly shows that wearing a mask outdoors lower the risk of contracting the virus significantly. To help simplify things a bit, we do not have gondolas or bubble quads to the chagrin of some, but now that seems as though it could be an advantage. Open air doubles, triples and quads as discussed in a recent New York Magazine article appear to be less of a risk than an enclosed space. Science is showing that the greatest risks come from poorly ventilated indoor environments when masks are not worn, social distancing is not practiced, and when the duration of the stay is fifteen minutes or longer. We will likely continue to know even more about the virus in the weeks and months ahead.

But given what we know now, it is likely that the normally large weekend and holiday indoor crowds will not be allowed in restaurants, bars, rentals, and ski and ride school. It may be that online reservations will become our new normal, as it has for golf this summer and for dining a Hogan’s Pub. It may be that more people are working at home or in their second homes here in the Mad River Valley and that our skier visits could get spread out over 7 days instead of being concentrated on Saturdays and a few holidays. Wouldn’t that make for a better experience? It may be that there is more demand for private ski and ride lessons that become more like group privates with friends and families signing up together rather than being placed with strangers. It may be that we have more outdoor dining and après options in the Lincoln Peak Courtyard and elsewhere.

Of course, the current quarantine measures that are in place here in Vermont and elsewhere will need to be followed and weekend visits for out of state guests could be impacted. There are still many unknowns today, but our team here at Sugarbush and throughout the Alterra Mountain Company family have been working on solutions these past several months, so that we are prepared to adapt to whatever happens in order provide all of you with the best experience possible. Being part of Alterra Mountain Company has been a real advantage, as we are able to share ideas and create solutions together as a large team rather than having to go it alone.

So yes, I am confident that we will be skiing and riding this winter. We will just all have to be flexible and more patient than our Type A personalities are used to. It is time to start getting the quads and core back into shape and checking your equipment. Opening day is nearer now than closing day last spring.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

I don’t believe it counts at the bike parks right now, but i could be mistaken.

Maybe, but then you’d be skiing around the resort with a full face helmet on.

I’d rather just use a Buff like I’ve used skiing nearly everyday for the last 20 years.