Page 2 of 70 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    And a weird space between e and r.

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    But, who's saying you can't do that? People are just saying to stay away from others and keep your phys. activity to things that are unlikely to cause injury.
    Some people are very much saying you can't do anything beyond walk around the block or take a bike ride without being socially irresponsible. Some are interpreting #staythefuckhome as exactly that. And there's a large and nuanced spectrum between those people and the ones having big group picnics in the park.

Quote Originally Posted by Cravenmorhead View Post
    Some people are very much saying you can't do anything beyond walk around the block or take a bike ride without being socially irresponsible. Some are interpreting #staythefuckhome as exactly that. And there's a large and nuanced spectrum between those people and the ones having big group picnics in the park.
    ^ this yeah

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    Real talk, lots of praise for South Korea's handling of things which involves their government GPS tracking every citizen and assigning them states like "infected", "suspected of being infected", etc. How many people want to sign up for this in this country?
    Package it in a smart phone and everyone will do it. Only the conspiracy theory whackos will hold out.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Resort town governments and special districts are supported by property tax dollars. Many of the amenities in those towns--excellent rec programs, good snow plowing, good schools--are possible because of the property taxes paid by second homeowners who don't use a lot of services. To tell those people to stay away now is the height of hypocrisy.
    How many ventilators does the closest hospital to Telluride have? ICU beds? Enough to handle a group of 50 front rangers with the plague? Definitely not. Enough to handle the locals who get sick because 5 sick and asymptomatic front rangers went to their vacation houses and got 20 locals sick? Again, probably not.

The key goal of all the various "stay at home mandates" is extremely simple: NO CONTACT! No contact with people (6'+ away) or surfaces that aren't in your control. There are obvious exceptions to stay alive - gas, groceries, pharmacy, medical. But it's really that simple. That does not mean you have to sit inside your house to obey the purpose (or letter) of the rules.

The dilemma for many of us is the following: I get in my car, I drive (without stoping) to 1) a beach to surf 2) a mountain to skin, a park to hike/ride, etc. I stay away from people in the water/on the hill. I drive home. No contact! No harm, no foul.

BUT, what if things go sideways? Then you are putting yourself at enhanced risk - risk of Covid-19 infection via the medial system and risk of injury causing more damage due to overwhelmed medical system. You are also putting others at risk of Covid-19 (unless you've just tested negative YOU DO NOT KNOW). At the absolute minimum, you are using limited medical resources that are desperately needed to fight this pandemic.

Balancing all of this is personal, but personal behavior x300+million people will either make or break us. No contact is an absolute. The risk of unintended contact needs to be minimized by conservative behavior should you decide to ski/surf/bike/etc. Know your limits, and then take it DOWN a couple notches.

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    I have been spending 6 days/week working on sars-coV-2. It was nice to get out and reflect a bit yesterday with some uphill social distancing.
    In exactly the same spot.

I need the break from continuous emergency response work. If I don't get in exercise and some mountain time, I'll burn out in a couple weeks.

And this ain't a couple of weeks fight.

Quote Originally Posted by slatham View Post
    The key goal of all the various "stay at home mandates" is extremely simple: NO CONTACT! No contact with people (6'+ away) or surfaces that aren't in your control. There are obvious exceptions to stay alive - gas, groceries, pharmacy, medical. But it's really that simple. That doesn't not mean you have to sit inside your house to obey the purpose of the rules.
    not trying to beat this horse, but the messaging is dead wrong then. #nocontact or something. messaging matters

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    Conversely we don't need mountain town's full of laid off workers being told not to recreate outside and inundating ER's with substance abuse and psych patient's when this pandemic lasts longer than anticipated. Covid patient's will either stay home or get transferred to big city ICU's. OD's and psych holds bog down ER's and clinics who can't just send them home and have to find them beds at already full facilities.
    This on top of the mud season. Our little hospital can quickly get over run.

Just bring your own tourniquet.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Y’all have seen that many Bay Area open space areas and beaches have closed (at least to access via car) due to the influx of people and “unsafe” conditions both for general public safety and safety specific to COVID-19. CHP in the tahoe area is having to deal with people parking/blocking roads at popular bc access points. BC access has been restricted in some (?) counties in CO. FL is apparently closing down their state parks (not sure if that’s facilities or gates are being closed and locked.

All it takes is an ability to distinguish between a "me" based position and an "others" based position.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

I just took my dog to the closed ski hill. 5 minute drive. People doing tire-peeling speed through the turns by the ski hill. Almost got hit from behind trying to make a left turn by some maniac doing 70 in a 35 in a super rusty f350 with a plow. Seems like people are in a frenzy to get things done before lockdown tonight. Such a shitshow.

I dunno. Seems like so many things aren’t about what you do but how you do it.

Quote Originally Posted by ten ply View Post
    Hopefully, the excellent rec programs know how to intubate.
    The excellent rec program here is closed. But I know how to intubate.

There's a lot of different things going on here. A general puritanical idea that it's wrong to have fun when there's a crisis, regardless of whether it does any harm. A legitimate concern about injury. People being territorial--usually the people here the shortest are the worst.

As far as the hospitals in small towns, I suspect they won't be overwhelmed until after the ones in cities have been.

It's not how far you drive, it's what you do when you get there. Walking 5 minutes to a crowded park is a lot worse than driving 2 hours to an empty bc ski area (if you can find one).

I wish authorities would spend less time on telling us what not to do and figure out how to keep all of us out of grocery stores. Delivery is overwhelmed here and I assume most places. Grocery stores are far more dangerous than most of the stuff we're being told not to do. They tell us to wash our hands but most stores don't have sinks where they are needed. There's no hand sanitizer to use in the store or to buy. We read about distilleries making sanitizer--why isn't govt getting this done on a meaningful scale?

Denver "stay at home" order just issued. As I read it, travel for the purpose of outdoor recreation still allowed, so long as your outdoor recreation allows you to keep distance. Also, recreational dispensaries and liquor stores will close (though not liquor delivery, if I'm reading it right).

Text. https://kdvr.com/wp-content/uploads/...03.23.2020.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    not trying to beat this horse, but the messaging is dead wrong then. #nocontact or something. messaging matters
    x2

I get the whole point of keeping the message simple to keep it effective, but the current phrase definitely opens the door to misinterpretation. It's too bad that the great public is happy to ignore nuances and detailed explanations in favor if simple phrases. But that's the result when you can't test the population for shit at the moment.

Keep your distance when out and about? Absolutely. Dial it down when on public lands to avoid injury and adding stress to the hospital system? Sure. But outright closures like the BC ban in CO are really pushing the envelope, and come off as a knee-jerk reaction rather than in informed decision.

Quote Originally Posted by S_jenks View Post
    x2

I get the whole point of keeping the message simple to keep it effective, but the current phrase definitely opens the door to misinterpretation. It's too bad that the great public is happy to ignore nuances and detailed explanations in favor if simple phrases. But that's the result when you can't test the population for shit at the moment.

Keep your distance when out and about? Absolutely. Dial it down when on public lands to avoid injury and adding stress to the hospital system? Sure. But outright closures like the BC ban in CO are really pushing the envelope, and come off as a knee-jerk reaction rather than in informed decision.
    "You can't go outside because you might hurt yourself with your healthy active lifestyle" but there's no ban on smoking cigarettes or being a fat stay-in POS moments away from heart attack, no ban on gorging yourself on mcdonalds or drinking yourself half to death... really, what is the daily load on hospitals/emergency care from hikers/skiers/climbers vs heart disease and alcoholism?

Quote Originally Posted by S_jenks View Post
    But outright closures like the BC ban in CO are really pushing the envelope, and come off as a knee-jerk reaction rather than in informed decision.
    I disagree, to an extent. Outright closure of beaches is a good idea. If public places become overloaded with people, I'm in favor of closure.

BC skiing areas don't seem likely to be overly crowded like a Florida beach.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

As per Mntlion post in Rockies thread:

https://placestovisitthisweekend.com/Calgary

Quote Originally Posted by teamdirt View Post
    As per Mntlion post in Rockies thread:

https://placestovisitthisweekend.com/Calgary
    Nice!

I agree with folks concerns. There's a balance to be sure. Regulations are an imperfect substitute for reason. For the next few weeks, we need to be extra careful. If we're successful, some restrictions can come off. If spread remains uncontrolled, Italy style dying will commence, and restrictions will tighten.

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coron...e-be9337092b56
    New from Pueyo. Long read. Summary - strong restrictions on all to control the outbreak, followed by mild measures and extensive testing and tracing, and isolation and quarantine of very few.
    Name:  Screenshot 2020-03-23 at 3.43.42 PM.png
Views: 5617
Size:  43.6 KB

Please minimize your physical contacts with others, and with shared surfaces. Share more in other ways to keep the humanity part of human going strong.
    Last edited by LongShortLong; 03-23-2020 at 04:46 PM. Reason: add image
    10/01/2012 Site was upgraded to 300 baud.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    I disagree, to an extent. Outright closure of beaches is a good idea. If public places become overloaded with people, I'm in favor of closure.

BC skiing areas don't seem likely to be overly crowded like a Florida beach.
    I agree with this. I also think it's to be expected that people will congregate to such places at a time like this. People need to get out. Sitting on your ass at home alone or cooped up with the same people is unhealthy. People will take risks to avoid misery. That should make sense to many folks here because of the focus of this community.

So what do you do when a place becomes overloaded? Close it for a couple days. Put up signs and contact local news. Tell people to chill, spread the fuck out, and dial back any activities that are likely to result in injury. Emphasize that their cars will be towed if they park illegally. Perhaps strongly recommend that people limit themselves to a certain number of hours or visits to a place per week (which could make a difference if even a fraction of the population obeys). Most importantly, make it clear that the place will be shut down long term unless people get their shit together. If enough people hear that threat it could make a difference.

Open it up again a few days later and monitor closely. I honestly think it would work in some places. I'm sure it would fail in others. And if the spread gets bad enough in an area, well then you shut it all down.

"boredom, tyler, thats whats wrong.
    how do you beat boredom tyler?
    adventure, adventure tyler!"

"we all do dumb shit when we're fucked up"
    mike tyson

I don’t know... my friend is an er doctor in Burlington Vt. He says it has been a ghost town and has been getting sent home. Seems like a really good time to be taking unnecessary risks to me...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Judging people is so 20th century
    Worry about yourself and stop trying to tell other people what they should be doing
    And get the fuck out of my town

How many mountain locals have driven down to Denver or Grand Junction or Durango in the last week and gotten supplies? Gassed up, hit the grocery, liquor, and costco?

You’re the ones living in locations with far too few hospital beds and sponging off the capacity in. Ig towns. Spreading your virus around coming into town shopping but boy youll piss and moan if city folks hit the trailheads. But THEY should stay away. Not you rural freeloaders, but THEM

How about you diseased mountain fucks stay quarantined? And YOU fucks stay away from the trailheads.

Endangering the rest of us, selfish.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.