Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Since you already own the truck, I'd look for the biggest hardshell camper you can find with all the amenities (shower/toilet, fridge/freezer, sink, heater, etc.). And find a friend with some land who will let you park and plug in (or run a generator) for a few hundred bucks a month. Not quite as nice as van living, but the advantages of the truck and 4WD are needed in a winter environment.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Since you already own the truck, I'd look for the biggest hardshell camper you can find with all the amenities (shower/toilet, fridge/freezer, sink, heater, etc.). And find a friend with some land who will let you park and plug in (or run a generator) for a few hundred bucks a month. Not quite as nice as van living, but the advantages of the truck and 4WD are needed in a winter environment.
    In a Tundra? That thing will get crushed by any large hardshell. Tundra payload is like 1500 pounds. A large hardshell is like 4000 lbs dry. Tundra can pretty much only handle a very small, very light hardshell or a popup.

I just sold my van and bought a truck for this type of set up. With a slide in you get the advantages of a van and truck in one as long as you have somewhere to store the camper. Slide in campers are already built out and there are plenty available on the web ( might be hot selling items now) for great prices. If I went out and bought a brand new slide in to go with my new gmc it would still be less that a 4wd sprinter that comes with two front seats and nothing else. And you also have a truck, not a built out van that can’t haul anything. If I was the OP I’d buy a cheap used slide in and be set. Slap a “one less sprinter” sticker on the camper and call it good

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    In a Tundra? That thing will get crushed by any large hardshell. Tundra payload is like 1500 pounds. A large hardshell is like 4000 lbs dry. Tundra can pretty much only handle a very small, very light hardshell or a popup.
    Huh, I thought they were burlier than that. I guess you can add load support to the suspension but maybe not enough to support a decent size hardshell. Are you sure about 4,000 pds? My 20+ ft trailer only weighs 3,300.

Only one solution to this problem:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	maxresdefault.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	118.8 KB 
ID:	321784

or if you got the cash, invest in an EarthRoamer vehicle.

Huh, I thought they were burlier than that. I guess you can load support to the suspension but maybe not enough to support a decent size hardshell. Are you sure about 4,000 pds? My 20 ft trailer only weighs 3,300.
    I mean, 4000 lbs is a BIG one, but yeah, they're heavy. My S&S is around 2800 dry. Some of the smaller northern lites are in the low 2000's.

I've seen some very small hardshell campers that are around 1000 lbs dry. But you wouldn't want to live in one of those for very long.

I mean, 4000 lbs is a BIG one, but yeah, they're heavy. My S&S is around 2800 dry. Some of the smaller northern lites are in the low 2000's.

I've seen some very small hardshell campers that are around 1000 lbs dry. But you wouldn't want to live in one of those for very long.
    This one is less than 2,000. Truck campers are cramped no matter what, but you got everything you need.

https://www.lancecamper.com/truck-campers/825/

Wait aren't you a dirt pimp rocking a hipster stache in Bozeman? How do you NOT have a van yet....do you even lift bro!

This one is less than 2,000. Truck campers are cramped no matter what, but you got everything you need.

https://www.lancecamper.com/truck-campers/825/
    Yeah, it's definitely possible to get a semi lightweight one. But trying to drive around with one of those in pretty much any 1/2 ton truck is gonna suck (and put a ton of wear on the truck).

Yeah, it's definitely possible to get a semi lightweight one. But trying to drive around with one of those in pretty much any 1/2 ton truck is gonna suck (and put a ton of wear on the truck).
    Yeah, but you know how in the RV/vanlife world it's all about tradeoffs. No rig is perfect for everything. The replacement value on a Tundra with 105k miles is considerable. I'd think twice before trading it for a van when living in Montana.

Huh, I thought they were burlier than that. I guess you can add load support to the suspension but maybe not enough to support a decent size hardshell. Are you sure about 4,000 pds? My 20+ ft trailer only weighs 3,300.
    He’s talking about a slide in camper. Payload rating vs tow rating.

Yeah, but you know how in the RV/vanlife world it's all about tradeoffs. No rig is perfect for everything. The replacement value on a Tundra with 105k miles is considerable. I'd think twice before trading it for a van when living in Montana.
    For sure. Although if he really wanted to go the truck bed camper route, he could probably trade in the tundra for a functional 1 ton gasser and it'd be pretty much a wash price-wise. Then throw $10-12k at a used slide in. Almost certainly cheaper than a van. And better, because, y'know, it's not a van.

Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    I just sold my van and bought a truck for this type of set up. With a slide in you get the advantages of a van and truck in one as long as you have somewhere to store the camper. Slide in campers are already built out and there are plenty available on the web ( might be hot selling items now) for great prices. If I went out and bought a brand new slide in to go with my new gmc it would still be less that a 4wd sprinter that comes with two front seats and nothing else. And you also have a truck, not a built out van that can’t haul anything. If I was the OP I’d buy a cheap used slide in and be set. Slap a “one less sprinter” sticker on the camper and call it good
    This was our final decision after looking into different setups. I liked the option of dropping the camper at a spot and not having to break down camp if we needed to go into town or different trailhead. Our former neighbors now have a good chunk of property and are willing to let us carve out a spot to store the camper which will be nice in the winter months.

Your in Bozeman, right?

Thinking outside of the box.... Do the college students have to sign 12 month leases? If so, you should be able to find one to sub-lease from. They should be happy to get any money back (my daughter would be). Might find something for $100/month

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

get a van. no doubt. park it by a river.

sorry about your troubles.. current or upcoming..

Quote Originally Posted by thommy21 View Post
    He’s talking about a slide in camper. Payload rating vs tow rating.
    Yeah I get that. Just pointing out the dry weight of my trailer is quite a bit less than the dry weight of the truck camper he referenced, which seemed inordinately heavy. Much lighter truck campers are available that will work with a Tundra.

This one weighs 930lbs.
    https://www.kimboliving.com/

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP IN7RO View Post
    This one weighs 930lbs.
    https://www.kimboliving.com/
    Putting aside the fact that living in that thing will be... cramped, you'd still be hard pressed to stay under payload. 930 lbs of camper (dry) will pretty easily hit 2000 lbs wet if you're living out of it and will have all of your day to day possessions in the camper with you.

^True, but it looks good and has a cool name.

Found your van. Room for a few sleds too.

I wouldn’t throw in the towel on the truck just yet.

Are you sure you want a fiat van?

A French Italian van.

Quote Originally Posted by VTeton View Post
    Holy Jeebuz, I wanna see that thing make a turn and not take out another vehicle. And the I beam makes for one stout ride methinks. I'd install shocks from a stagecoach...

Quote Originally Posted by VTeton View Post
    Bitchin!
    Live Free or Die