Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    IMHO, at the very least the ski resorts should not jack up the prices for 20/21 season passes. The economy is tanking, more people will lose their job and we will have less disposable income.

Also, the ski resorts might open late for the 20/21 season because some sort of social restrictions are still in place. I know, it sounds crazy but flattening the curve to prevent our health care system from collapsing also means we're going to be in a somewhat restricted situation for quite some time. I'm not talking about a total shutdown but something less severe that prevents a ski resort from operating. One more reason to not increase prices.

I wonder if ski resorts would have kept operating in the early 30’s. Purely hypothetical, of course.
    Forum Cross Pollinator

Quote Originally Posted by StopGroomingMoguls View Post
    IMHO, at the very least the ski resorts should not jack up the prices for 20/21 season passes. The economy is tanking, more people will lose their job and we will have less disposable income.

Also, the ski resorts might open late for the 20/21 season because some sort of social restrictions are still in place. I know, it sounds crazy but flattening the curve to prevent our health care system from collapsing also means we're going to be in a somewhat restricted situation for quite some time. I'm not talking about a total shutdown but something less severe that prevents a ski resort from operating. One more reason to not increase prices.
    I don't know if we'll still be distancing come next winter but as far as recession--even in a depression there will be people with money to ski. Most businesses have found that you can make more money selling to a few people dear than to a lot of people cheap. So don't hold your breath for cheaper passes. Although if you do, at least you won't get covid.

As far as sking in the the Great Depression goes--Sugar Bpwl opened in 1939 and was very popular with Hollywood celebrities, who had plenty of money. (BTW--both the Golden Gate Bridge and the Bay Bridge were built in the Depression, and the transcontinental railroad was started in the middle of the Civil War. Life goes on in the middle of national catastrophes. That may not be true for the current catastrophe by the time it's over though.)