Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Message to epic pass holders:

We deeply value the loyalty you have placed with us by purchasing one of our pass products and we are committed to identifying an approach that acknowledges this past season and retains your loyalty for the future. I ask for your continued patience and understanding as we remain focused on the real-time challenges that COVID-19 is currently presenting to our employees, our communities and our company. And with many different pass products, we want to ensure that any action takes into consideration all of our pass holders.

We intend to reach back out to you with more information by the end of April. In the meantime, we are deferring all auto-renew charges and all spring deadlines for Buddy Tickets into May.

I for one wasn’t able to use my pass early and mid season due to commitments and cancelled a 4 week trip mid March to whistler due to the closure....would I buy the pass again if there was’nt some sort of credit....no, but a fair discount I would reconsider. I purchased a pass because 4 weeks of lift tickets in Whistler is $5000. Since they closed early, although I know its not there fault, I would expect some sort of credit or deal on a future pass.
    Last edited by teamdirt; 03-25-2020 at 09:39 AM.

I ended up with just 3 measly days on my Epic pass this year. Had planned a trip to CO for March, and well, we know how that all went. I'm guessing that the pre-buys is WAY down this time, and they sound like they are getting hammered with comments on not being able to use the passes this spring.

Let's see what they do when they respond back in April. They are a publicly traded business after all, and they need to drive revenue.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Yeah, tough year all around. I broke even on my Ikon just on Crystal days, not so much on Epic . . . Cancelled Park City due to son's broken arm (not exactly Vail's fault) and our normal March week in Whistler was Covid-ized, only used it 4 days at Steven's. Work in ski retail and get most of my days after January 15th, as it's crazy busy before that.

We'll see what Vail says next month.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Me too. I plan to travel as soon as it's safe to do so.
    Just like trying to time the stock market on the upswing, it's going to be a matter of timing to nail some great hotel and flight deals. I'm betting that a lot of companies will be bending over backwards to get revenue streams moving.

I'm still getting notifications from Southwest right now for awesome deals, but, at the same time, I read that any day now, most domestic air travel will shut down, especially Southwest.
    If you have the balls, airplanes and airports must be about as safe as they can be right now. Nobody is there.

I’ve been getting emails from the local swim school. Discounts on April and May classes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    I’ve been getting emails from the local swim school. Discounts on April and May classes.
    Zoom meeting swim lessons?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Yep, bathtub and a laptop.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

What could go wrong with that. I’m in. Gonna save $20.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    What could go wrong with that. I’m in. Gonna save $20.
    Perv.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    ive nevered considered the 40 or 50 grand worth of passes on the mancave wall as money or holding monetary value
    thems are lifestyle kickdowns of the doing of the ski bum thing
    and no the things not a given
    never was
    never will be
    sucks it ups buttercups
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    ive nevered considered the 40 or 50 grand worth of passes on the mancave wall as money or holding monetary value
    thems are lifestyle kickdowns of the doing of the ski bum thing
    and no the things not a given
    never was
    never will be
    sucks it ups buttercups
    Quite frankly I think your missing the point. It’s as much, if not more encouraging future ski seasons, as it is acknowledgements of how sideways this season went.

Personally, I had 2 vacations & rentals shuttered, several business outings cancelled, a parking pass with 6 more weeks voided, kids programs cut short & at least 2 more months of skiing gone.

My business also draws customers to the mountains & many of my clients purchase tickets & passes.

So it’s a lil more complicated that ‘sucks it up’.
    Last edited by iriponsnow; 03-29-2020 at 11:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by unclebill View Post
    Agreed. No whining and bottom feeding. Choose one only. But paying for something that you don't receive is not fair. Of course its not the fault of the resorts that they have had to close early, but you're missing an important part of this. Once the resorts close, fixed costs continue but operating costs are reduced to near zero. Not offering some form of refund or discount actually creates a windfall profit for them, not a loss.
    Now imagine you’re there skinning the closed hill and the manager and his buddies are towing each other around with the work sleds, tracking it out way faster than skinners and hikers can.
    So you tell him it’s a bullshit move and he should be ashamed, and they ban you from the property for 12 months.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    Now imagine you’re there skinning the closed hill and the manager and his buddies are towing each other around with the work sleds, tracking it out way faster than skinners and hikers can.
    So you tell him it’s a bullshit move and he should be ashamed, and they ban you from the property for 12 months.
    Where was this?

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    sucks it ups buttercups
    But yeah, also this.
    Something about this will make me better somehow.
    I don’t know what, but you never really do I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by iriponsnow View Post
    Where was this?
    Marquette MI.

It’s almost impossible to get skunked on the $100 bohemia pass, but I’m a special snowflake so I went up there once this year, one chair was broken down, got 3 runs in bad spring snow over thin cover, then the other lift went down.

Total, probably spent about $150 for 2500 vt ft of some of the iffiest refrozen thin cover turns you could imagine.

It’s almost an accomplishment, they said it couldn’t be done!

Quote Originally Posted by iriponsnow View Post
    Quite frankly I think your missing the point. It’s as much, if not more encouraging future ski seasons, as it is acknowledgements of how sideways this season went.

Personally, I had 2 vacations & rentals shuttered, several business outings cancelled, a parking pass with 6 more weeks voided, kids programs cut short & at least 2 more months of skiing gone.

My business also draws customers to the mountains & many of my clients purchase tickets & passes.

So it’s a lil more complicated that ‘sucks it up’.
    That's all sunk cost. You spent the money. You're not out any more money or anything else because things shut down. Unlike all the people who've lost their jobs, or wound up in the hospital or died. If you can afford all that you're one of the lucky ones to start with, you are lucky now, I truly hope you stay lucky. Like the rest of us including people who don't have passes or haven't paid for trips yet you're sad because you can't ski or take those trips. Life can truly suck sometimes, it sucks for everyone right now. Stay safe.

That sounds like an ill advised strategy. Private property?

I find a couple aspects of this conversation quite credible, yet I am left wondering quite a bit about about losses to ski resorts. Everything and everyone in the industry is always about Thanksgiving, Christmas and Presidents Day. If the resorts have good snow and crowds on those holidays, it's always been said they'd make their nut. If those holidays failed to deliver, they say they'd lose their asses. Which is why resorts that close early always say they're losing money everyday they operate after Presidents Day. Am I the only one who has heard this for years?

Nonetheless, I got an email yesterday from a firm that said they could get me a chunk of a $394 billion giveaway for my business, plus totally forgivable loans for payroll. Any chance Rob Katz got one of those emails ? Nothing in the ski industry is ever as it seems or is being made out to be - unless you were just buried in an avalanche.

We’re all at different stages of this, and have different relationships with skiing.

With me, I get pretty intense about skiing because:

1) when I was around 16, I had like 3 months where I had a ski dream every night. I decided then that the long streak of dreams was a sign that skiing was supposed to be the central direction of my life. In addition to skiing every day (I didn’t miss a single day of inbounds season from age 16-19), I also went to the college library and read every issue of the archive of ski magazines going way back. I scoured tv guide and programmed a vcr to record anything ski related. I watched every ski movie I could find. I had files of articles I photocopied from the library. I would go to the ski hall of fame and soak it all in. I raced, I competed in moguls, did the early “extreme” comps, and was involved in test-monkeying some early skier-cross when xgames were in crested butte.

2) I made dozens of key life choices to favor skiing over other common life goals. Wildland fire as a job, ski shop jobs where I could ski every day. Living situations, relationships, finances. Skiing first.

3) I’m in a handful of binds....messed up awful career, presumptive cte and all the problems of that (depression, short temper, memory), bad back, bad knees, living back in my hometown....because of those choices, and in a lot of key ways because I had a phase where, for skiing, I ended up in college trying to get a nursing degree (so I could ski like trackhead or beaterdit) but the process led me to question the skiing-first direction of my whole life and I went entirely the wrong way trying to undo what seemed at the time to have been a huge mistake.

4) Because of 1, 2, and 3, skiing is the thing that has the most meaning in my life..(which is often frustrating, because I value it so much more than anyone around me....and also, where I live now, with these people, it’s not something meant to be valued the way I value it. It’s just something to do, not a central defining focus of anyone’s life...because why in the world would that person be here...so I’m both nonstop annoyed at how the clowns who control the sport here don’t get, and don’t care to get, a lot of basic, near-universal principles of skiing culture, and I’m viewed as some kind of kook for not embracing the gaper culture that defines skiing here and a nuisance for hammering at these people when they get it wrong)...skiing overall: thinking about it, talking about it, messing with gear, carrying some internal self worth from being an expert at something, and the actual sublime act of sliding around and momentarily leaving the rest of my life where I’m a total loser to be good at something that’s difficult and that I enjoy, that’s the thing that allows me to slog through the rest of my messed up life.

5) Skiing is a rich person’s sport and I am not, and have never been a rich person. I chose my life course before I really understood the depth and broad reaching implications of that fact. So the percentages of my resources that go to skiing are much different than most people involved in it.

6) Because of 1-5, the idea that oh well, you got cut short this year (let alone this fuckwit banning me from next year), there’s more important things...I get it. I totally get it. But even though it has been exposed over the last 12 years or so to have been a terrible, addiction-like, regrettably-foolhardy series of life choices (and yeah, that’s what my screen name means), it’s the defining core of who I am and the fuel pushing everything else I do. I’m not disputing I’ve wasted my life, but to the extent that I have some role to play in society (so far it’s been stuff like sonbrotherhusband, mentor, dog dad, ski tech/manager, firefighter, laborer, tree sawyer, dispatcher, student nurse, bar security, truck driver, taxi driver, bus driver, union steward/president, friend, neighbor, customer), for me, it’s vitally important not to pare life down to a series of grim chores for too long, because skiing is my very soul, in my case calling it frivolous and cutting it away hollows me into a man without a soul.
    It’s the difference between somebody who feels lucky to celebrate with some drinks every once in awhile and somebody who has painted himself into such a corner that not drinking might put him into a lethal withdrawal. The same act has vastly different meanings to the two of them, frivolous for one, life-sustaining for the other.
    Relatedly, this process of ending up back in Michigan surrounded by a population for whom skiing is viewed as a frivolous luxury, or just a way to make some money like a pig farm or a bowling alley, or mostly for children, or a vacation-thing, or a few race-league runs a week thing, or primarily just an excuse to go drinking...it’s a series of little stabs to my life force.

Spriggs is that u?

We’re all at different stages of this, and have different relationships with skiing........it’s a series of little stabs to my life force.
    So why does Marquette have such a strangle hold on you? I know it's stating the obvious but a move could change your life. Get out. Take all the time and energy you spend trying to turn your local hill and it's owners into the mountain you want and focus those resources on moving somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    Nothing in the ski industry is ever as it seems or is being made out to be - unless you were just buried in an avalanche.
    can i make this my signature?

Quote Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
    So why does Marquette have such a strangle hold on you? .
    Moving:
    Wife, wife career, aging mother, home ownership-if we move anywhere I want to live we’ll be in some shitbox apartment, rusty vehicles that won’t pass inspection elsewhere, lack of adequate savings, needing an adequate home and lifestyle for our dog, wife and I both have really bad backs which makes showing up hoping for a tolerable job a lot harder, not wanting to give away everything I own again for the 3rd time, and I’ll be on probation when they finally get around to sentencing me for disorderly conduct someday who fucking knows when.

And it’s not exactly a great time to be quitting jobs and putting houses in the market and just showing up somewhere with your dog and your bad backs and
    your cars you can’t get registered.

I’ve moved, last count 28 times. It’s hard enough with a healthy body and a bunch of money in the bank and no wife/dog.