Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    If this pandemic extends longer then we thought those preseason discount passes will be lost money to u personally when eventually they go bankrupt. Hope it’s not the case, but stock is dropping quick....

Quote Originally Posted by teamdirt View Post
    If this pandemic extends longer then we thought those preseason discount passes will be lost money to u personally when eventually they go bankrupt. Hope it’s not the case, but stock is dropping quick....
    Oh, man... a guy can dream, right??

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Oh, man... a guy can dream, right??
    Could be a reality when planes aren’t flying or barely flying when next winter comes around

Quote Originally Posted by Bean View Post
    Complex multi-variable predictive models are always wrong, the question is by how much. So far they've generally been off by orders of magnitude after only a week or two. Anyone trying to tell you what this will do 8-12 months from now is trying to sell you on something.
    same applies to anyone who tries to tell you what the snowfall will be next winter, but they'll try. (Although this miracle march thing around Tahoe seems to be getting pretty predictable in otherwise dry years, except one year it came in April.)

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    I can't ever remember saying "shit, I should have worked today instead of skied."
    Well, no. Have you ever taken vacation time or sick days or comp days and said, fuck, it's raining?

Only reason I was gonna buy an ikon pass was to spend all of this april skiing mammoth.

Sigh
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

I can't ever remember saying "shit, I should have worked today instead of skied."
    I did this year, Alyeska has passholder day where they open the mountain to passholders only, noon to five, which is pretty cool. The week they were suppose to open they got a ton of snow on the upper mountain, but for whatever reason didn't open, then for that week they advertised opening chair six for passholder day and having top to bottom skiing for passholder day, on passholder day at 8am they repeated, top to bottom skiing for passholder day, despite warm temperatures. I figured the groomers up top were nice. Then as we all stood in line the mountain manager comes out and say "thanks for you all being here, it's just ted's express today" Which was a man made ribbon of death, 1 run total. Apparently a very small isolated glide crack had opened up, and despite the resort opening and hour an a half later than normal, mountain ops or patrol or whoever didn't bother, you know roping off and closing the terrain affected. That day of skiing a shitty ribbon of death with a bazillion other people cost me $150 because I skipped work. That's a heli run. I should have worked that day. I get they want to be cautious opening terrain, but don't advertise something, hype it up, get everybody to skip work then pull the rug out from everyone last minute, I should have worked that day, not skied.
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    I did this year, Alyeska has passholder day where they open the mountain to passholders only, noon to five, which is pretty cool. The week they were suppose to open they got a ton of snow on the upper mountain, but for whatever reason didn't open, then for that week they advertised opening chair six for passholder day and having top to bottom skiing for passholder day, on passholder day at 8am they repeated, top to bottom skiing for passholder day, despite warm temperatures. I figured the groomers up top were nice. Then as we all stood in line the mountain manager comes out and say "thanks for you all being here, it's just ted's express today" Which was a man made ribbon of death, 1 run total. Apparently a very small isolated glide crack had opened up, and despite the resort opening and hour an a half later than normal, mountain ops or patrol or whoever didn't bother, you know roping off and closing the terrain affected. That day of skiing a shitty ribbon of death with a bazillion other people cost me $150 because I skipped work. That's a heli run. I should have worked that day. I get they want to be cautious opening terrain, but don't advertise something, hype it up, get everybody to skip work then pull the rug out from everyone last minute, I should have worked that day, not skied.
    If you want to get the maximum great days you have to be willing to accept this ^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    No.

Please show such "models."
    No models. But there is plenty of evidence from china, korea and singapore that as social distancing rules get relaxed there will be 2nd and 3rd waves. Secondly - viruses do perk up more in winter months. Till we have a vaccine - which by all accounts will not be out till June 2021 at the earliest - we won't be rid of Covid. So there is no guarantee that ski resorts will be fully functional next winter. I would not be surprised if they do open - trams and gondolas would not be, 2 people in a 6 person chair lift, no food/bar service - might be the norm.
    Some resorts might open just for uphill climbers !!!

sounds depressing - but very likely.

Can resorts even make money with those restrictions? No food service, limited capacity on chairs. Bathrooms would need to be cleaned repeatedly throughout the day.

I’ve thought it many times. And I’ve also thought 10000x more times that I’ve should have skied instead of worked.

So done with Ikon- weeks in & no responses.

Currently short selling MTN.

Quote Originally Posted by iriponsnow View Post
    So done with Ikon- weeks in & no responses.

Currently short selling MTN.
    What do you think is the bottom for Fail?

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    What do you think is the bottom for Fail?
    I think likely $75/share before they break

Quote Originally Posted by MrPow View Post
    No models. But there is plenty of evidence from china, korea and singapore that as social distancing rules get relaxed there will be 2nd and 3rd waves. Secondly - viruses do perk up more in winter months. Till we have a vaccine - which by all accounts will not be out till June 2021 at the earliest - we won't be rid of Covid. So there is no guarantee that ski resorts will be fully functional next winter. I would not be surprised if they do open - trams and gondolas would not be, 2 people in a 6 person chair lift, no food/bar service - might be the norm.
    Some resorts might open just for uphill climbers !!!

sounds depressing - but very likely.
    Or, instead, how about this?

As labs around the world continue research, they determine just how this thing is transferred so easily. Assume it's just breathing from asymptomatic carriers early on in infection. Public realizes this is a big fucking deal and we all shift to wearing masks in public, spread slows down, businesses and activities are slooooowwwly opened back up again in 2-3 week steps.

In the meantime, some sort of treatment is discovered that significantly eases the load on hospitals and reduces mortality. Mask use continues, regular domestic air travel resumes.

Now testing of populations is happening, and its also discovered that a lot of people have had this thing and are now immune. Spread of new cases is actually decreasing, and more businesses open back up.

Home testing is figured out, and hey cool now you can do a home test and wear something like a red wristband if you're still at risk or a green one if you've already had this bitch. Then people know who to watch out for and who doesn't need to worry.

Vaccine is released early. Like all the experts are saying "holy shit that was impossibly fast." Medical workers and 'important people' immunized (many already had green wristbands anyway).

The entire planet is determined to solve the problems of virus containment AND resumption of economic activities. Tourism and leisure are huge industries and they will not be left out.

That's my optimistic hot take. I have faith in humanity.

Or, instead, how about this?

As labs around the world continue research, they determine just how this thing is transferred so easily. Assume it's just breathing from asymptomatic carriers early on in infection. Public realizes this is a big fucking deal and we all shift to wearing masks in public, spread slows down, businesses and activities are slooooowwwly opened back up again in 2-3 week steps.

In the meantime, some sort of treatment is discovered that significantly eases the load on hospitals and reduces mortality. Mask use continues, regular domestic air travel resumes.

Now testing of populations is happening, and its also discovered that a lot of people have had this thing and are now immune. Spread of new cases is actually decreasing, and more businesses open back up.

Home testing is figured out, and hey cool now you can do a home test and wear something like a red wristband if you're still at risk or a green one if you've already had this bitch. Then people know who to watch out for and who doesn't need to worry.

Vaccine is released early. Like all the experts are saying "holy shit that was impossibly fast." Medical workers and 'important people' immunized (many already had green wristbands anyway).

The entire planet is determined to solve the problems of virus containment AND resumption of economic activities. Tourism and leisure are huge industries and they will not be left out.

That's my optimistic hot take. I have faith in humanity.
    I used to fantasize about pitching a perfect game in the World Series. My fantasy sounds a lot more fun than yours. And more realistic.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I used to fantasize about pitching a perfect game in the World Series. My fantasy sounds a lot more fun than yours. And more realistic.
    I don't really get it, but congratulations are in order I'm sure.

Vets is offline Orange Mocha Frappuccino!
    After rereading this thread, I had these thoughts.

I doubt that anyone is renewing either of these passes right now. Why would a consumer make a future purchase on a product that isn’t working now?
    Due to the uncertainty, it seems like we are all in a holding pattern.
    I am curious about what incentives will be offered to purchase an Epic or Ikon pass.

I was fortunate enough to have purchased both passes last spring and definitely got good value from both of the passes. I got in 26 days on my Epic pass and 19 on my Ikon pass (8 of those last spring and summer on the Ikon pass.) Being able to use my Ikon pass last spring was a great incentive. Unfortunately, that is not possible this year.

When they do make decisions on season pass sales, I’m guessing that they will closely follow each other. Hopefully, both will extend deadlines. It seems like they are leaning that way.

Offering the following could be helpful:
    - Renewal discount
    - Partial or full credit if next season (20/21) is shortened or cancelled that would be applied to the following season (21/22)
    - A significant good faith or loyalty discount/incentive for the following season’s renewal (21/22)

By making these offers, I believe that people would feel that they would get something out of their pass purchase and have sort of a guarantee or credit.
    The benefit to Epic and Ikon would be that they would still have the cash flow that they are used to having with early pass sales.
    We’ll see what happens.

To quote my daughter, when she was in kindergarten: “You get what you get, and you don’t throw a fit!”

Quote Originally Posted by skizix View Post
    To quote my daughter, when she was in kindergarten: “You get what you get, and you don’t throw a fit!”
    Get and fit don't rhyme.

It's "you get what you get, and you don't get upset."

In any case, I'm sure we will now be able to purchase "Pandemic Insurance" from Vail for our Epic passes from now on.

Get and fit don't rhyme.
    They do in Texas.

Talked to someone in the IKON family of ski areas yesterday. Allegedly IKON is going to make an announcement next week regarding extensions for pass discounts, etc..
    Gravity Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP IN7RO View Post
    They do in America.
    Fify

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Get and fit don't rhyme.
    They do to a kindergartener.

!most of the kindergarteners I have know think "you get if you throw a fit".

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

No.

Please show such "models."