Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

EPic Pass or Ikon - Discount for Covid?

Are either of them offering any discounts for next year - since half the season's been cancelled.

Has anyone called to find out

Marty
    Last edited by MrPow; 04-04-2020 at 04:35 PM.

Half the season????

I’m sure they’re waiting to see how this plays out. If/when the economy is in the shitter, they may have to reprice their passes. Or we may be in the same situation next Fall, with nothing open.

EPic Pass or Icon - Discount for Covid?

If you didn't get your money's worth out of your season pass by March, were you really going to?

By the way, most resorts define getting your money's worth by breaking even on the price of a pass vs. day tickets. They don't care that you didn't get your pass down to $10/ski day.

I think it's probably worthwhile to wait a bit to see if they might give a break on next season's passes to those who had passes this year.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Half the season? So most ski areas were supposed to be open until July or August? Who knew!?

Well! don't mean to quiblle - but I skied fresh powder on May 15th last year at Squaw

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    If you didn't get your money's worth out of your season pass by March, were you really going to?.
    Yes, especially when the east sucked and you were waiting for the usually very reliable late March/early April conditions in the high rockies, with much less crowding.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Yes, especially when the east sucked and you were waiting for the usually very reliable late March/early April conditions in the high rockies, with much less crowding.
    Nothing's changed. It's dumping and no one is around.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    And I only burned one A-basin day - saving the remainder for April and May. Who knew

This'll save me money in the long run. No travel next year, except to tour. A-basin only pass if I get anything at all, and the way things are looking, I won't have to make a pass decision until January (if at all).

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 03-21-2020 at 10:48 PM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Benny:

Come out to Aspen. I told you it would be better than Abay.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0100.jpg 
Views:	309 
Size:	1.83 MB 
ID:	321564

Gonna see some crybabies in this thread. Line up has some Allstars appearing already.

Suck it up kids. Tit hanging on Vail/Alterra won't satiate that need to feed off businesses in distress. Why not offer 22% on the dollar for new gear for '21? Buy a gift certificate for your favorite restaurant, but only if it's $1 for $1.5-2. Get that remodeling job done for less. Haircut Two Bits.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    Gonna see some crybabies in this thread. Line up has some Allstars appearing already.

Suck it up kids. Tit hanging on Vail/Alterra won't satiate that need to feed off businesses in distress. Why not offer 22% on the dollar for new gear for '21? Buy a gift certificate for your favorite restaurant, but only if it's $1 for $1.5-2. Get that remodeling job done for less. Haircut Two Bits.
    Agreed. No whining and bottom feeding. Choose one only. But paying for something that you don't receive is not fair. Of course its not the fault of the resorts that they have had to close early, but you're missing an important part of this. Once the resorts close, fixed costs continue but operating costs are reduced to near zero. Not offering some form of refund or discount actually creates a windfall profit for them, not a loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    Benny:

Quote Originally Posted by unclebill View Post
    . Not offering some form of refund or discount actually creates a windfall profit for them, not a loss.
    Calling it a ‘profit’ (in terms of this years balance sheet) is probably a bit of a stretch. Many areas might not recover at all for 20/21.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

If the only thing you have to cry about is not getting the full value of your pass this year consider yourself extremely lucky

EPic Pass or Icon - Discount for Covid?

Uncle is assuming that lowering operational costs offsets lost revenue in the form of lodging, events, lift ticket sales, food/bev etc. Depending on the resort the math doesn’t pencil out that way

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP IN7RO View Post
    Half the season????
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Half the season? So most ski areas were supposed to be open until July or August? Who knew!?
    Why is that so hard for you to grasp? Some of us are Mammoth skiers. Mammoth did not even make it halfway to last year's number of days open. 127 days open this year, 261 days open last year = 48.7%. Not even halfway yet.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    If you didn't get your money's worth out of your season pass by March, were you really going to?
    Absolutely YES. Some people miss a month or 2 during the first half of the season due to illness & injury & surgeries etc. (and whatever other reasons), and were planning on the 100+ remaining days that got cancelled at Mammoth. It's not so difficult to grasp, is it?

- TRADE your heavy PROTESTS for my lightweight version at this thread

"My biggest goal in life has always been to pursue passion and to make dreams a reality. I love my daughter, but if I had to quit my passions for her, then I would be setting the wrong example for her, and I would not be myself anymore. " -Shane

"I'm gonna go SO OFF that NO ONE's ever gonna see what I'm gonna do!" -Saucerboy

While you are losing money, in a sense, because you lost the last 25-30% of your season...the resorts are losing money in a much more direct way.

Both sides are getting screwed equally, by no fault of their own. Get over it

FWIW, the resorts can’t salvage their season by going backcountry skiing.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post
    If the only thing you have to cry about is not getting the full value of your pass this year consider yourself extremely lucky
    No shit. Well put into perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Vitamin I View Post
    Why is that so hard for you to grasp? Some of us are Mammoth skiers. Mammoth did not even make it halfway to last year's number of days open. 127 days open this year, 261 days open last year = 48.7%. Not even halfway yet.

Absolutely YES. Some people miss a month or 2 during the first half of the season due to illness & injury & surgeries etc. (and whatever other reasons), and were planning on the 100+ remaining days that got cancelled at Mammoth. It's not so difficult to grasp, is it?

it's not so difficult to grasp someone's disappointment. it's just hard to grasp how they think someone else is to blame or that they demand compensation instead of accepting that life just be that way sometimes.

people break legs midseason too. that's the gamble. except now, your gamble doesn't just give you days at mammoth and it gives you a comically high value at dozens of other resorts. you spent the money, and you can't get it back. stop obsessing over it and move on, use it as an opportunity to grow as a human. or, if you want, stew in your own sense of helplessness knowing that you're gonna come crawling back to alterra anyways because you know they're still giving you value, and they know it too. and in 2021/2022 you'll pay $100 more, because you'll be hooked and you're not going back.

I smell a 1st world problem, and it doesn't smell like beer.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    that's when the ikon resorts close around these parts (not enough snow this year though). fwiw Sierra at Tahoe passes will be good in the beginning of next year til like 12/28 or something.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    Benny:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0100.jpg 
Views:	309 
Size:	1.83 MB 
ID:	321564
    Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    I smell a 1st world problem, and it doesn't smell like beer.

It smells like Franzia box wine
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    that's when the ikon resorts close around these parts (not enough snow this year though).
    I figure there would've been enough snow for Squaw & Mammoth to offer skiing into May which is close to a 6 month season. They shut mid March, so I've got no problem if it was said we missed out on 1/3 of the season. No way we were gonna make it til July 4 so any claim of 1/2 the season is just not honest.
    "The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size."