Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    I'm on the other side of this. I'm a sociology/data science professor and we were basically given one class notice that we we're switching to online instruction. Our college has no online classes, so the infrastructure wasn't there. They extended spring break by a week, but it's still been a bit crazy.

One of my classes will be relatively straightforward, but one is basically a programming lab, where half the time they're working through an example of something I've just introduced and I'm running around trying to help them figure out what's going wrong. That one is going to be tougher over the internet.

My college is basically allowing students to retroactively take courses pass/fail, even in their major, so I assume that there will be nothing but A's recorded this semester.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusBrody View Post
    I'm on the other side of this. I'm a sociology/data science professor and we were basically given one class notice that we we're switching to online instruction. Our college has no online classes, so the infrastructure wasn't there. They extended spring break by a week, but it's still been a bit crazy.

One of my classes will be relatively straightforward, but one is basically a programming lab, where half the time they're working through an example of something I've just introduced and I'm running around trying to help them figure out what's going wrong. That one is going to be tougher over the internet.

My college is basically allowing students to retroactively take courses pass/fail, even in their major, so I assume that there will be nothing but A's recorded this semester.
    My daughter's school has gone pass/fail for this semester and have a nephew that's a CS major completely in the fog about how his labs and group projects will go. Clearly no winners here other than the carpet baggers selling online infrastructure and/or instruction curriculum in a condensed amount of the to prevent any real vetting.

Fuck on-line college classes. I want my $ back

My daughters school has gone all online. Most of her professors were already posting lectures online anyway so it hasn’t been a huge change. She’s a biology /pre-med major. The chem labs have been a little tough to figure out but in the end they are going to have the lab instructor video record every step of what they should have done themselves and then they will be tested as if they were there doing it themselves. Testing is going to be the biggest problem. It’s all going to be done online. Each student will need a webcam that monitors them while they take the test. They have implemented some software system that tracks eye movements and to make sure they are not looking at other things besides the computer monitor. If things don’t look right then they get flagged and then things get looked at closer. She’s a bit worried because one of her profs has said that he’s not going to review anything and if you get flagged you get a zero.

University is prorating all rent and meal plans for on campus housing. Doesn’t do anything for my daughter since she lives in student housing but is off campus.

My daughters home now and locks herself in our bedroom and puts all the lectures up on our big tv. I sat in on one today and was very impressed. Teacher was much better then what I had taking these same classes 20 years ago.
    Last edited by UTpowder; 03-21-2020 at 11:16 PM.
    I'd rather die while I'm living then live while I'm dead

Talked to a buddy who's daughter is a freshman in college in off-campus uni sponsered housing. She is fully funding her own education, no loans. They went completely online and her job has pretty much dried up. She wants to move back home to save rent. It's all online anyway. He called the school to ask about a housing refund/break the lease. They said sure, if you find a replacement tenant, a/k/a a female student of the uni.

I told him to tell her if she's pays her April rent, she might as well be dumb enough to just drop out.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Use the phrase "I strenuously object."
    "I have absolutely no responsibility here whatsoever."
    "Can't you see..."

I'm paying 35-40k annually for an out-of-state poly si degree (kid) and it's just about to kill me. Told him at the onset that's a great route to delivering pizzas. Kid though, he's got a 3.91 after three semesters and seems to have a real passion for it. So maybe pizza delivery assistant manager Good kid though. neve been a bit of trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    People dissing the arts and especially kids pursuing that as a career are mouth breathing trumptards and can fuck the fuck off.

Arts make the world great.

And yeah, my kid is graduating this spring (we assume) with an EE degree, but he has labs that are not possible now. I'm not sure how he can graduate. Is the school just going to give arbitrary grades and graduate kids without fulfilling all the requirements? Time will tell.
    "Can't you see..."

My wife i also a sociology professor. They expanded spring break a week and are going to all on line zoom classes,. Her biggest dilemma is testing. For anyone who questions professors, you are an idiot, they work 70 to 80 hours a week for shitty pay, most because they love what they do ( although I will admit there a few really shitty, lazy ones out there too)
    She absolutely refuses to give pass/fail grades as it inst fair to the kids who bust their ass to get good grades.
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Quote Originally Posted by teleee View Post
    My wife i also a sociology professor. They expanded spring break a week and are going to all on line zoom classes,. Her biggest dilemma is testing. For anyone who questions professors, you are an idiot, they work 70 to 80 hours a week for shitty pay, most because they love what they do ( although I will admit there a few really shitty, lazy ones out there too)
    She absolutely refuses to give pass/fail grades as it inst fair to the kids who bust their ass to get good grades.
    I'm lucky in that I don't have any more in class tests this semester, so that won't be affected much for me. Our problem with just using Zoom for classes is time differences. An not insubstantial portion of our students are from Asia, so my class is in the middle of the night for them. I'll still likely use it pretty heavily, but we'll see. Thankfully I don't have to worry about the pass fail stuff. I assign students grades not even knowing if they chose that option.

I'm lucky in that I don't have any more in class tests this semester, so that won't be affected much for me. Our problem with just using Zoom for classes is time differences. An not insubstantial portion of our students are from Asia, so my class is in the middle of the night for them. I'll still likely use it pretty heavily, but we'll see. Thankfully I don't have to worry about the pass fail stuff. I assign students grades not even knowing if they chose that option.
    My daughter, who didn't end up going to your school and thanks for the PM exchange way back when, fortunately got enough done with the lab shelf full of potsherds before they sent her home that she can write her paper. However, it's looking a little grim for field school this summer. So I doubt they'll be digging this year. Archaeology is her thing. Not sure her CRM job will pan out this summer.

Yea I hadn't thought about time differences. Here the big concern is about students not having access to the internet, 90% of the students are wealthy spoiled little fucks, but the other 10% are the exact opposite. Poor, working class, migrants, non-traditional who are working to go to school and are now laid off from their service industry jobs. They are making the zoom lectures available on blackboard so they can be more flexible on times for the students who need it (I just asked her).
    Luckily I use zoom a lot for meetings so I am pretty well versed so getting her lectures set up has been pretty smooth so far.
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Quote Originally Posted by teleee View Post
    Yea I hadn't thought about time differences. Here the big concern is about students not having access to the internet, 90% of the students are wealthy spoiled little fucks, but the other 10% are the exact opposite. Poor, working class, migrants, non-traditional who are working to go to school and are now laid off from their service industry jobs. They are making the zoom lectures available on blackboard so they can be more flexible on times for the students who need it (I just asked her).
    Luckily I use zoom a lot for meetings so I am pretty well versed so getting her lectures set up has been pretty smooth so far.
    You should start a side gig consulting.

Break the labs up - cover the concepts with powerpoint or sketchup, do examples. Then next lab field spoken and chat questions through Blackboard [or whatever expensive system your school chooses]. Schedule review sessions before exams. Post up all your lectures and labs for download asap. Understand that all exams will be 'open book', so write them accordingly.

Even though you are "videoing", students should never see your face, unless you are Feinman or Tufte or Moore or someone of similar fame who's act students pay extra to see.

My last GIS prof taught the same (300-level) classes concurrently at UAF/UAA and West Point. This while he holds an important GIS management job with the State of Alaska and is a bird colonel in the US Army Reserve...

I wouldn`t panic, everything will be ok in a while!

I wouldn`t panic, everything will be ok in a while!

I laughed. Not bad for a third post.
    I'd like more woman to hang around here. Too bad, they never seem to last
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    I laughed. Not bad for a third post.
    I'd like more woman to hang around here. Too bad, they never seem to last
    Dude. That's a bot.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using TGR Forums mobile app

If you mean "boy", I have a girl's name, too.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Tucker View Post
    "I have absolutely no responsibility here whatsoever."
    I have used that sentence at work.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    If you mean "boy", I have a girl's name, too.
    No. I mean bot. Not a human.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using TGR Forums mobile app

Any accountants out there willing to share how I pay myself out of the 529 account for room and board while my kid is eating me out if house and home?

Besides, ski sales are going on.

More of Schindler's rich people problems.
    You ever figure out the best snow tires for your Lambo?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Yesterday someone showed me a video of an online class. It was interactive. The students could see the teacher and the teacher could see the students. One student was smoking a bong throughout the class. The teacher asked him to stop two or three times. He just laughed. I will try to get it and upload.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    My daughter, who didn't end up going to your school and thanks for the PM exchange way back when, fortunately got enough done with the lab shelf full of potsherds before they sent her home that she can write her paper. However, it's looking a little grim for field school this summer. So I doubt they'll be digging this year. Archaeology is her thing. Not sure her CRM job will pan out this summer.
    A lot of CRM jobs are part of ‘vital infrastructure’ projects, and for now, that keeps them going

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I really can't complain, the upper crusty institution darling daughter goes to is already giving her a shitload of money so it's not like we can ask for any refund.

But she just found out this quarters grades will be limited to pass/fail, and she's pissed because she had some layups scheduled to pad her GPA.

Fuck on-line college classes. I want my $ back

I zoomed w/ Mrs. Plug and our friend who is a Dean at a community college in Oakland, and the system is buying 12,000 chrome books for their students so that they all can be on a level playing field. So this is what a community college can do.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda