Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Pro-rate room/board seems fair.

If students have the choice to continue online, asking them to do 1/2 a semester online is not unreasonable - given the circumstances. Whoever said it above, buy the ticket, life's not fair.

If you really want to have a hissy fit, maybe offer a late W from the semester - but I don't think tuition refund or credit is on the table. They are still offering a way to learn and move forward with the program - sorry it's not perfect.

Giving out a blanket B is garbage.
    Last edited by MiddleOfNight; 03-21-2020 at 11:01 AM. Reason: missing word

Quote Originally Posted by MiddleOfNight View Post
    Giving out a blanket B is garbage.
    Yeah that is bullshit. GPA matters for things after college. Lazy fuck tenured professors.

Room/board/meal plan should be pro-rated since they are not offering that service.

UNB Fredericton followed the heard with pro-rated room/board and finish online. Their timing caused some unnecessary stress and caused unnecessary potential community exposures. My daughter had to ditch a bunch of food that was perishable and or unable to come across the border. UNB announced that students not using the dining services, aka residents of the on campus apartments, needed to have two weeks of food on hand. So my daughter and roommates dutifully went shopping. And then UNB announced two days later that they were kicking everyone off campus. My daughter found a friend off campus and who is staying put to take the extra food. The friend completely unexpectedly gave them some money.

I feel for the OP. When it comes to music college, 90% of the value isn't nec. the information/instruction - it's the contacts you make while there. Your classmates and fellow musicians in the ensembles are the contacts & network you'll use for gigs, jobs and pathways into education. I know people scoff at the impracticality of music college in monetary terms but I love the thought that there are people out there who are dedicated to their craft/art and pursing that full stop. The amount of practice and dedication these kids apply is grossly underappreciated. These are going to be rough seas for the aspiring musicians.

I'm not sure either of my kids went to a class in four years at Cal. For those who can reasonably complete their semester on line I don't think a refund is in order. For those who can't they should be allowed to finish their course work without additional cost when circumstances allow. Agree r and b should be prorated. And educational standards should not be relaxed to let people get a grade or a diploma.

Coronavirus is showing us what we all already knew--life is fucking unfair. But there's no reason not to try to make it a little more fair.
    And the fact that someone else has it worse doesn't mean the unfairness that affects us doesn't matter.
    "I want a refund for the trip you canceled." "There are starving people in refugee camps. Man up."

Quote Originally Posted by concretejungle View Post
    Will it be strongly worded?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Use the phrase "I strenuously object."
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I haven't strenuously objected since I was a JAG lawyer. First, I objected. That didn't work, so I strenuously objected. I think that it was then that I was kicked out of the full bird colonel's office.
    Oh wait, maybe I saw that in a movie
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

. . .

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!
    I'm gonna rip the eyes out of your head and piss into your dead skull, you messed with the wrong marine!
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Online classes are a shitty solution but really the only solution. If they give the money back they would have to stop paying professors.... professors would leave to make a living somewhere else... the school becomes shit....

Not a smart idea.... Neither is paying full tuition for private arts college either...

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

^^^Good points, but how would you deal with the 2 credit ensemble and lab courses and 1 credit performance lessons that cannot be conducted on-line. Just saying that it costs the same thing for 12 or 18 credits will not fly. Because of this, music majors will be unable to graduate in 4 years, and will have to stick around Miami for another semester. (Not that it would be the worst thing in the world). The extra semester costs will run approx. $50K
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    will have to stick around Miami for another semester. (Not that it would be the worst thing in the world)
    He could move back to Cleveland and bring the city a championship.

Or SLC. Jazz could use a boost.

Still not sure how I am supposed to teach middle school kids science through an online portal, but maybe I will figure it out before classes start on Monday....

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    professors would leave to make a living somewhere else...
    Whole Foods?

Just received this from FROST:
    "Resumption of Teaching on Monday
    Faculty report 100% readiness to offer online classes and instruction. We all owe them a big “thank you”.

Students: If you have not heard from an instructor and/or you have checked Blackboard and there are no instructions for the resumption of a class, please contact the Dean’s Office right away.

Large ensembles have already met for the required number of hours this semester and will not resume.

Classes and small ensembles may be offered synchronously (in real-time) or asynchronously (recorded), as should already have been made clear to students in all classes. All lectures are being recorded so that students in synchronous classes can view the lectures asynchronously."

While I'm not sure how 6-7 weeks of ensembles meets the requirements of the entire semester, I guess that it works.

Fuck on-line college classes. I want my $ back

I can’t make it past the first post. If you are dumb enough to pay money for your kids to be a music major, you don’t deserve a reimbursement.

"We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Ahhh, thanks for the input... imbecile

People dissing the arts and especially kids pursuing that as a career are mouth breathing trumptards and can fuck the fuck off.

Arts make the world great.

And yeah, my kid is graduating this spring (we assume) with an EE degree, but he has labs that are not possible now. I'm not sure how he can graduate. Is the school just going to give arbitrary grades and graduate kids without fulfilling all the requirements? Time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    People dissing the arts and especially kids pursuing that as a career are mouth breathing trumptards and can fuck the fuck off.

Arts make the world great.

And yeah, my kid is graduating this spring (we assume) with an EE degree, but he has labs that are not possible now. I'm not sure how he can graduate. Is the school just going to give arbitrary grades and graduate kids without fulfilling all the requirements? Time will tell.
    QFT.....that anti post might have been the dumbest post I have ever heard....I’ll forgive him (maybe) if he can start posting some Viva quality chick pics....lol

My bro & SIL are musicians who teach at the college level. They are using YouTube to do individual instruction. It isn’t perfect; but it has been better than they were expecting.

I don’t know if it’s any comfort, but the profs are kinda worked up about not being able to do any valuable ensemble work too. They are just as invested as the kids (at least that’s how they relate it to me)

I have two college kids that came home now and I have been telling them their lucky it's not their senior year. We should coin a term for this year's graduating class that can be used when they fuck up I'm their first jobs because of the arrested learning from this interuption.

Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    I have two college kids that came home now and I have been telling them their lucky it's not their senior year. We should coin a term for this year's graduating class that can be used when they fuck up I'm their first jobs because of the arrested learning from this interuption.
    You are giving to much credit to the professors.

"We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    "yourusername"?

Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    You are giving to much credit to the professors.

"Fuck up more than usual"