Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Fuck on-line college classes. I want my $ back

Most, if not all, universities have closed down campuses, but will continue the semester via on-line studies. Commencements have been postponed until 12/20 (at the very least). I say that this not fair to many students, and major universities should offer a credit for this semester's tuition, or even a refund. While it may be ok to offer classes like economics, accounting or sociology on-line, this does not work for many students. For example, my son has a double major of Music Business/Entertainment Industry and Jazz Piano. This semester, in addition to taking 4 somewhat socratic method traditional classes, he is registered for 2 ensembles, which are essentially band classes where he studies/plays music with other music students. There is no way to do this on-line. Other students have labs and other hands-on practical courses which cannot be completed on-line. IMHO it is unduly burdensome to ask these students to either pack up their apartments, dorm rooms or other living arrangements, but still be required to pay full tuition and complete a less rigorous, yet more stressful case load at home and on-line. At a bare minimum, while universities should offer the option to continue the semester on-line, the schools should also offer a full credit for the semester.
    This semester began on Jan 15. Spring break ran from March 6-13 and then extended to March 23. The last day of class was scheduled for May 5. The call to cancel the semester (except on-line) was made on March 12. There is just too much of the semester left to require all studies be take place on-line. Many people have paid a lot of money to study. I understand burden sharing, but the universities are in a much better position to fully educate their students and offer a credit for the semester, than students are to settle for a watered down education.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Wait. You can major in jazz piano?

For $40k a year

Haaaahahahahahahaahha
    . . .

More than that
    Music schools like Univ. of Miami, USC, UCLA, Berkley School of Music are not cheap
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

My kids have 2 professors (each) that have decided they can't do online because their internet service isn't good enough so they are issuing B's to everyone. They said that hopefully this won't negatively affect your GPA but this is what has to be done. The others have no idea what they are going to do and haven't released anything yet. Today we have to empty ones dorm and tomorrow the other, we're going to try to sneak it all in one trip. Nope, no reimbursement of dorm or food plan money 🤨

Fuck on-line college classes. I want my $ back

I hear ya....I got a freshman Bio major.....online isn’t cutting it.....(actually harder/cuz they are being graded the same...with no direct instruction)....she has bio and chem labs that are required to do online by themselves? Then having to take the standard tests/graded on that?.....there is no adapting of the tests to the situation?.....not cool.

U mention tuition refund...but I’ll raise you and ask what about room/board?....what about meal plan? (She’s at home for the rest of semester).....no way a refund/credit for room/board/meal plans isn’t at least being considered?
    Last edited by BC.; 03-21-2020 at 03:22 PM.

Lots of “fuck you we’re closing and keeping your money” moves right now.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    My kids have 2 professors (each) that have decided they can't do online because their internet service isn't good enough so they are issuing B's to everyone. They said that hopefully this won't negatively affect your GPA but this is what has to be done. The others have no idea what they are going to do and haven't released anything yet. Today we have to empty ones dorm and tomorrow the other, we're going to try to sneak it all in one trip. Nope, no reimbursement of dorm or food plan money
    Pass/fail is how this grading situation should be handled. These so called professors should have thought that through, but they're in the make believe world of academia.

paying for 3. If I didn't know what ass rape was before...let alone things like the $2.5k meal plan, athletic fees...etc.
    "Can't you see..."

CSU is refunding prorated room & board.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Wait. You can major in jazz piano?

For $40k a year

Haaaahahahahahahaahha
    This isn't 2005, private schools are 50-70k year.

Quote Originally Posted by Skistack View Post
    CSU is refunding prorated room & board.

Hoping that becomes the trend.

I am thinking about writing a letter to the President of the university, with cc to the Dean of the Frost School of Music and all department heads.

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    I am thinking about writing a letter to the President of the university, with cc to the Dean of the Frost School of Music and all department heads.
    Will it be strongly worded?

We have a month or so here to see if they make good on their students/families......after that, it’ll be fair game for letters, phone calls, emails, etc.....lol

Buy the ticket, take the ride. It's a risk you take. It's a good general rule of thumb that there are no refunds in life. Sorry it's taken you this long to get that message.

Initially, probably not that strongly worded. I'm not ready to threaten class action.

Sounds like you're paying a lot of money so your child can work as a bar back or doorman.

Initially, probably not that strongly worded. I'm not ready to threaten class action.
    lol...correct...

Quote Originally Posted by Thurgood Jenkins View Post
    Sounds like you're paying a lot of money so your child can work as a bar back or doorman.
    LOL! Whatever makes him happy. I think the goal is to become an entertainment lawyer or manager/agent for bands. Right now, he is promoting/writing music for FL hip hop bands
    He is not looking for "participation" Bs, that's for sure

He is not looking for "participation" Bs, that's for sure
    He'll get nothing and like it! And you'll still be getting the bill.

Well if something good comes of this pandemic, I hope it brings the damn universities to their knees! They've intentionally let tuitions spiral out of control. About time something puts them back in check. I have a good feeling that prices are gonna come WAY down after the dust settles. Screw 'em. College has been one the biggest institutionalized rackets our country's ever known.

Karen? Is that you? I'll get the manager that you have requested to speak to.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    Karen? Is that you? I'll get the manager that you have requested to speak to.
    I laffed.

Me too. Thanks

I'm doing online classes and dig it. Super cost effective and works around my schedule
    Then again I don't have fat daddy warbucks footing the bill, pullen myself up by my bootstraps and all that.

Good luck to your spawn. I'm sure he will survive
    #1stworldproblems
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?