Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

VWerks Katana- How do you REALLY use it and what binding did you mount?

I just picked up a deal on new 184cm VWerks Katanas after really enjoying my 184cm Mantra 102 at the end of this season. I'm wondering how folks that own the VWerks Katana REALLY use it the majority of the time. Resort Pow ski? Touring charger? Sidecountry Daily driver? Seems like a ski that can fill all these roles.

Honestly, I'm trying to to decide what binding to mount. Right now I'm thinking of a frame binding as kind of a do-it-all binding for a do-it-all ski. Crazy, I know but I'm not sure I'm ready to trust Shifts yet. Cast is out based on my boot choices. Maybe MarkerFit plates based on current bindings or inserts for Dynafit and Marker alpine.

Experiences on how you use yours and what you mounted on it would be appreciated. Do you like your set up or would you change it if you could do it again?

Shifts are proven.

Plus the Corona sales are good now
    . . .

Shifts, ski it for sidecountry tours, resort pow...resort everything except ice now I come to think of it.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Frame binding on a Vwerks Katana? Dude. Are you high?

Get the Shift. 90-95% of the negative stuff you read about that binding is from user error.

Or if you're really worried about the Shift (and you tour more than ski inbounds) get the ATK FR14.

Mine are mounted with Salomon MTN's. I use them for all midwinter tours (everything but ice/corn). This year was the 3rd season on them and I'm not a charger, I like them because they are dead easy to ski in all conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by kathleenturneroverdrive View Post

Get the Shift. 90-95% of the negative stuff you read about that binding is from user error.

Or if you're really worried about the Shift (and you tour more than ski inbounds) get the ATK FR14.
    ATK FR 14 going on mine. Plan is for main winter/potential powder touring rig.

I've got the FR14 on the Head Kore 117, but I could totally see putting them on a Vwerks next. Seems like the perfect all around travel setup.

I should add that I live East so I'll mostly ski mine when traveling West as a resort/sidecountry ski with some occasional touring days thrown in when traveling. Probably an East Coast resort powder ski whenever that happens.

Thanks for input thus far.

I'd def go Shifts then

I know, Right!? I am probably one of the few who has 1000+ days in the last 20 years on Fritschi frame bindings with Zero issues. Lots of great days and confidence in them and never got the frame binding hate. I still ski Freeride Pros hard on a set of Goliaths and have a NOS pair contemplated for the VWerks. Guess I'm an old dog.

Quote Originally Posted by singlecross View Post
    I know, Right!? I am probably one of the few who has 1000+ days in the last 20 years on Fritschi frame bindings with Zero issues. Lots of great days and confidence in them and never got the frame binding hate. I still ski Freeride Pros hard on a set of Goliaths and have a NOS pair contemplated for the VWerks. Guess I'm an old dog.
    Stack height alone is suckage for frames.

Others poo poo the weight. I don’t like the height.
    . . .

The people who should worry about skiing the Shift are the (few) people who ski harder than Cody Townsend. Not the people who have skied 1,000 days on the Freeride w/out issues. You'll be fine on the Shift.

Mtn

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Frame binding? Dude. Are you high?
    FIFY

I ski mine with ATK FR 14 as my main touring rig. Allows me to ski hard in the backcountry. Such an awesome ski, very predictable.
    I've considered getting a second one to mount with shifts for resort use, bc I dont like skiing pins inbounds.
    For what you describe, shift makes most sense. It is a proven binding, and skis very well. It would be blasphemy to put a frame binding (esp a fritschi) on a VW ski. It'd be like getting a ferrari and mounting a roof rack to transport luggage around. Or whatever.

I have one pair mounted with ATK R12 for pow touring and long approaches from the resort, and another one mounted with shifts for short approaches or just resort riding with my alpine boots.

I have both VWerks Katana and Mantra both with Kingpin. No issues whatsoever, but I like the idea of a DIN toe so will probably look at swapping with a shift or the new Marker Duke PT.

I put a regular Duke on the my M102's, and seriously regret that decision. Just say no to frame bindings ...
    Who cares how the crow flies

I mounted mine with first year Kingpins. The pins loosened on my first day, Marker replaced the toes, and zero issues since.

I bought these primarily for backcountry use but I like ‘em so much that they see semi-regular resort use. Super versatile as well - I used them for a week-long hut trip, as well as a trip to Japan. Awesome ski.

I’m currently taking a serious look at the Vwerks Mantra for a spring touring ski. I’d probably use a lighter binding than the KPs for that

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Stack height alone is suckage for frames.

Others poo poo the weight. I don’t like the height.
    I came up racing and coaching in the era of Derbyflex PLUS risers PLUS boot shims for GS and speed skis before FIS regulated height off the ski. We were WAY up there, so the height of a frame Fritschi has never bothered me.

Thanks all for the continued feedback... good points to consider. Whatever I mount, it will be with inserts and epoxy to help secure the mount and aid retention.

Yeah, same background and I have to admit I like a tall stack height on everything except not so much on wider skis ... especially when using race boots canted to 1.5°. That's a recipe for disaster in wind hammered snow ...

I was recently skiing with someone that had the Cast system, which initially looked great to me, but then I found out you need to swap the AFD for whatever boot norm you're using (i.e. no swapping between alpine, Grip walk, and touring boots without swapping the AFD first).

Anyway, you asked how we were using them - simple answer for me is not enough! I'm fortunate to have the metal Katana and an M102 in addition to the VWerks versions of both. Obviously the VWerks were meant to be strictly touring rigs, but I like the idea of making them more versatile (DIN toes) so I can be covered for all scenarios when traveling.

That said, neither of the VWerks skis to 100% of their metal relatives so I won't be getting rid of those any time soon anyway. Too many skis, not enough time.

Quote Originally Posted by stuntmanbo View Post
    I have one pair mounted with ATK R12 for pow touring and long approaches from the resort, and another one mounted with shifts for short approaches or just resort riding with my alpine boots.
    Do you use a shorter pair with the Atk's? Curious as to why or why not.

Quote Originally Posted by YoEddy View Post

I was recently skiing with someone that had the Cast system, which initially looked great to me, but then I found out you need to swap the AFD for whatever boot norm you're using (i.e. no swapping between alpine, Grip walk, and touring boots without swapping the AFD first).

Slight thread drift, but yeah pivots in general aren't the binding if you're going between multiple boots on the regular. Swapping AFDs on the CAST system in the event you get new boots isn't a huge undertaking though, right?

Agreed - swapping AFD's is no BFD unless of course you're Imelda Marcos and have multiple pairs of boots. Even so it's not that much of a PITA, and i really like the Cast, but just not as 'easy' as with the shift and Marker Duke PT.

Quote Originally Posted by Merlyn View Post
    I mounted mine with first year Kingpins. The pins loosened on my first day, Marker replaced the toes, and zero issues since.
    Funny story - I mounted mine with the first year KP too. I had two pairs of them ...

One pair I lost one of the pins and they replaced everything with the new orange one. The other pair on the Katanas literally disintegrated. At the top of the hill I transitioned to ski mode, and made my first turn into cartwheels. When I picked up my skis both heels were gone. Luckily it was deep and neither ski sledded away, but instead augured into the snow. It took me a minute to find the heels in the snow, but both of them had sheared off simultaneously at the connection to the rails. Marker replaced those as well, but i had to ski down a big hill in "tele" mode, which was fun.

Since then I have had no issues with the KP's and they have been thoroughly abused. Problems of being an early adopter I guess.

Intuitively i would say:
    Metal Katana: Cast and an alpine boot
    VW Katana: shift and whatever boot you like.
    VW Mantra: pins