Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Lightbulb Vipec, Ion, or Rotation?

I'm planning on getting a new bc setup for spring touring on the east coast. I really like the lateral release feature in the toe of the vipec and that's what I'm leaning towards but I'm a little concerned about durability with it.

I had good luck with rotations, zero complaints.

With that said .. I'm team Shift now.

(If you choose rotations, I have some I'll sell - haven't posted yet in GS)

Quote Originally Posted by MiddleOfNight View Post
    I had good luck with rotations, zero complaints.

With that said .. I'm team Shift now.

(If you choose rotations, I have some I'll sell - haven't posted yet in GS)
    I'm on a pair of shifts as well now but I'm looking to grab a light setup. DM about the rotations.

why not zeds? Nikolai Schirmer skis pretty hard and stomps big drops on zeds + regular black crows anima. And he says that he doesn't lock out his bindings.

Quote Originally Posted by Sashka View Post
    why not zeds? Nikolai Schirmer skis pretty hard and stomps big drops on zeds + regular black crows anima. And he says that he doesn't lock out his bindings.
    Hadn't given it much thought but I'll look into it

single binding - 450g with brakes (could be also used without brakes), 5-12 release value and 3 different raisers. I'm currently deciding if I need them. want to pair them with line vision 108 for multi day touring.

If you are looking for light weight, check out the Salomon MTN...doesnt get much press but its super light and can be mounted with or without brakes...super light, durable, simple and really good performance so far. I also ski on the Ion 12 and prefer the MTN b/c I can choose wether I get rid of the brake platform depending on type of tour.

Quote Originally Posted by myles long View Post
    If you are looking for light weight, check out the Salomon MTN...doesnt get much press but its super light and can be mounted with or without brakes...super light, durable, simple and really good performance so far. I also ski on the Ion 12 and prefer the MTN b/c I can choose wether I get rid of the brake platform depending on type of tour.
    Weight isn't my top priority... I'm coming from a pair of shifts on DPS Wailer A112 so I'm thinking something in the ~600-650 will suffice and I'll be happy on and provide good power transfer I'm looking for

Quote Originally Posted by Sashka View Post
    single binding - 450g with brakes (could be also used without brakes), 5-12 release value and 3 different raisers. I'm currently deciding if I need them. want to pair them with line vision 108 for multi day touring.
    Good call. I'm deciding between the Vision 98, Sick Day 94, and Armada Tracer 98 myself. Not sure I'd be using them for multiday tours so the option to remove the breaks isn't a huge selling point for me but definitely something I'll consider.

The only reason I can see for adding binding weight is if you're a bad-ass charger (then it's Shifts) or if you want lateral release from the toe (Tectons or Shifts), but that's just me. Some suggestions:

• Dynafit Speed Turn or it's hot rodded brother the Plum Guide 12 (340 g without brakes / 465 with).
    • Solly/Atomic MTN - real solid if you're OK with not being able to fine adjust release values (I'm not).
    • ATK RT 10 or Crest 10 - 270/280 g. with brakes. Other ATKs are great, but more pricey (and I'm leaving out the race binders, 'coz I suspect this isn't where you're at).

Take a pound off each foot and come back and tell my you don't appreciate it

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post

... Thom
    Agreed

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I have zero experience with spring touring on the east coast but those three bindings are way too heavy for my type of spring touring (PNW volcanoes).

I'd echo the others and say go lighter. I have speed turns: cheap, reliable, lightweight in comparison to 3 you're looking at. I'd go even lighter but haven't due to cost and mount issues among other things.

The only reason I can see for adding binding weight is if you're a bad-ass charger (then it's Shifts) or if you want lateral release from the toe (Tectons or Shifts), but that's just me. Some suggestions:

• Dynafit Speed Turn or it's hot rodded brother the Plum Guide 12 (340 g without brakes / 465 with).
    • Solly/Atomic MTN - real solid if you're OK with not being able to fine adjust release values (I'm not).
    • ATK RT 10 or Crest 10 - 270/280 g. with brakes. Other ATKs are great, but more pricey (and I'm leaving out the race binders, 'coz I suspect this isn't where you're at).

... Thom
    Thanks, I'll definitely look into those. I've only been skiing backcountry for one year and I'm on a pair of DPS Wailer A112s with shifts so I have no experience with a true tech binding so I figured I'd value responsiveness and power over weight. Also coming from my current setup I figured I'd really appreciate the weight difference of ~1600g skis with ~650g bindings albeit not being an ultralight setup. Overall I'd be coming from a setup around 3000g per ski to something around 2300s per ski.

... Thom
    I do plan to ski these pretty aggressively as well which is why I was initially considering the heavier bunch. Will be looking to charge them pretty hard and may be airing on some side hits and drops in some glades and what not... not sure if that changes your opinion on any of this?

Quote Originally Posted by fattips View Post
    I do plan to ski these pretty aggressively as well which is why I was initially considering the heavier bunch. Will be looking to charge them pretty hard and may be airing on some side hits and drops in some glades and what not... not sure if that changes your opinion on any of this?
    Well, Cody Townsend skis on the MTNs (check his most recent Shuksan episode to get an idea of his confidence level on them). Some pretty hard chargers ski the Vipecs (and have moved on to Tectons) as well.

I'll let harder chargers than me chime in on the remainder.

... Thom
    Galibier Design

They all ski well enough. Less fucking around with the Ions/Zeds.

Well, Cody Townsend skis on the MTNs (check his most recent Shuksan episode to get an idea of his confidence level on them). Some pretty hard chargers ski the Vipecs (and have moved on to Tectons) as well.

I'll let harder chargers than me chime in on the remainder.

... Thom
    FWIW, I'm pretty sure that is like the one episode in the last dozen plus where he's on Shifts. Plenty of other gnarly lines though (Pyramid, Wilson come to mind) where he was on the mtn.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    FWIW, I'm pretty sure that is like the one episode in the last dozen plus where he's on Shifts. Plenty of other gnarly lines though (Pyramid, Wilson come to mind) where he was on the mtn.
    That's funny! I stopped checking about halfway through the series.

... Thom
    Galibier Design

Quote Originally Posted by fattips View Post
    ATK FR14 2020 then. 350g per foot, goes up to 14, top notch build quality.

Quote Originally Posted by stuntmanbo View Post
    ATK FR14 2020 then. 350g per foot, goes up to 14, top notch build quality.
    Agree, they are unmatched by any other binding in build quality with no downsides.

Wife uses Vipec and likes them well except for occasional problems with brakes. I've used Ion's, both standard and Zed, for several years and like them really well. Simple, best risers, easy to clear under toe....Just good binders. My .02

I ski harder on MTNs than I did on Radical 2.0/Rotations. Different skis though

Ions and Zeds are way heavier than R12/FR14 and you have to rotate the heel to switch to walk mode. Only plus is that the brakes are beefier.

Quote Originally Posted by IanCH View Post
    Agree, they are unmatched by any other binding in build quality with no downsides.
    wait a minute don't their DIN " like " settings start at 8 ?

I need a 7 and the ability to seperatley adj for vertical & horizontal values or it isnt gona work for me
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    wait a minute don't their DIN " like " settings start at 8 ?

I need a 7 and the ability to seperatley adj for vertical & horizontal values or it isnt gona work for me
    The r12 is the same binding with a lower range.

You do need to get the freeride spacer add on separately for the r12 if you want that feature but once that's installed the r12 is a lower release range fr14.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

so where does that start ?

A binding would have downsides if it doesnt stay on your boot when you want it to and release before your tib/fib does ... its suposed to be a safety device
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know