Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    R12 starts at 5 and you setup latéral and vertical separately. Yes they’re way better than the Alpinist and MTN which use a « u » / fork for the vertical release
    FR14 starts at 8.

now if one could just buy them in Canada without taking out a bank loan !
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

All good advice in here. My .02: I'm over G3 bindings. Killed three pairs of Ions myself (without doing anything gnarly) watched friends kill four more pairs. Watched another friend who never breaks gear get stranded by Zeds. Not worth it for me.

My Vipecs have been bomber for three seasons of bad decisions now. Love them. But will probably go Solly MTN on my next touring skis just because they are so simple, and so bombproof.

ATK's seem really awesome, but I'm gonna hold off on anything that my local shops don't stock. I love being able to go in and borrow the heel of their demo pair or whatever if things do break.

I have vipecs on two sets of skis (thanks to BD who give a nice coupon after all my gear burned up) and like them well enough, except two things. 1) there is a lot of plastic and I broke a heel raised on day one which BD replaced.) 2) they are the fiddliest binding to set into I have ever used. I think I stepped into both skis on the first try only once or twice. Sometimes it can take ten tries to get the toe to click in. Probably more of a foot/eye coordination issue on my part, but that has never been an issues with any other binder.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    I have vipecs on two sets of skis (thanks to BD who give a nice coupon after all my gear burned up) and like them well enough, except two things. 1) there is a lot of plastic and I broke a heel raised on day one which BD replaced.) 2) they are the fiddliest binding to set into I have ever used. I think I stepped into both skis on the first try only once or twice. Sometimes it can take ten tries to get the toe to click in. Probably more of a foot/eye coordination issue on my part, but that has never been an issues with any other binder.
    Agreed about entry. My Vipec Blacks make me look like more of a wanker than I actually am.

I did notice that if I tilt my boot more (raise my heel), I have a slightly higher success rate entering them (which is no mean feat ).

I also took to a drawing a line on my toes with a Sharpie - to mark the pin line.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 03-22-2020 at 11:35 PM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

^^^ Thanks for this. I have Dynafits and ATK Raider 2.0 and my new Tectons are a pain to get into. I understand normal tech toe fiddle-factor, but this is another level. Especially in powder, the one time I came out was in powder, and they just seem to be completely uncompromising on having the bottom of the boot, the toe holes and anything else, perfectly clear to have a chance, and even then...
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Many good options

There are many good bindings these days.
    I put Vipec on my 12 year old daughter’s ski’s, because I wanted max safety for her and my wife, who uses those skis too.
    She seems to be able to step in quite easy, so it’s probably what you are used too.
    They are also very easy to use, in as much as, you never have to step out of the binding for any mode switches, nor do you have to spin a heel around to acces difference riser heights. Almost everything can be done with your ski pole.
    They probably ski a bit better than most traditional tech bindings, with elasticity at the toe and heel, and no rotation at the heel, but most people seem to agree that ski and boot choice matter more for that.

Cons: They are very heavy. You can save 300 g/foot with a lighter binding.
    They have lot’s of plastic. Check out Leelau’s page about the Tecton and Shift. Most of the Tecton stuff is the same for the Vipec.

Many people and reviewers love the Salomon/Atomic binding. But, German magazine Alpin tested them with brakes, and could not get a good release. Plus, once you add brakes, they are not that light anymore(for a U spring binding). So, if you want to use brakes, I would choose something different.

I chose Hagan Pure/ ATK Crest: 350g with brakes, all metal, independent vertical and horizontal release and soft step in.

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    Agreed about entry. My Vipec Blacks make me look like more of a wanker than I actually am.

I did notice that if I tilt my boot more (raise my heel), I have a slightly higher success rate entering them (which is no mean feat ).

I also took to a drawing a line on my toes with a Sharpie - to mark the pin line.

... Thom
    No, you are a wanker and the binders just reinforce it

But then again, so am I.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Good to hear others struggle with the vipec toes. Flat firm ground at a ski area slick. Add off camber or soft snow and not so slick. Wondered if the dynafit masterstep toe fittings had something to do with it. Setup is four years old so thought next year might move on to another lighter one. I do like how the vipec skis on hard relative to my speed turn 2 and memory of verticals. Will keep following these threads. Not sure if my tightass can take the cost of the atk bindings.

The binding (stops/bumpers) seems to throw the boot out of alignment, even when you try to click the boot in on a work bench.

I doubt master step inserts would change this much, but don't have any to verify.

... Thom
    Galibier Design

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    now if one could just buy them in Canada without taking out a bank loan !
    The bank loan part is real. I went with the less expensive RT 10. The skis are mounted, and if/when the apocalypse is over, I'll ski them and have some feedback.

From my experience with the Haute Routes (BD Helio 200) which I got at a great deal from a friend, I'm sure I'll love them.

In the ATK thread I started (https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...Binding-Thread), I don't think I listed the RVs on the chart, but basically, everything except the Freeraider and it's "new" version, the FR 14 are in yours and my release range. On the lower end of the RV range, they make a Crest-8 in addition to the Crest-10 (the 8 goes from 3 to 8).

• The top 6 rows are all U-springs/fixed release.
    • All of the other binders have fine adjustable release - independent vertical and lateral settings, generally in the 5-10 range (apart from the Crest-8).
    • The R12/Raider12 go to 12 and FR14/Freeraider14 go to 14.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 03-24-2020 at 04:15 PM.
    Galibier Design

The ATK Crest are one of the least expensive bindings on the market with brakes. But, if you need higher release value, you do have to step up to the fancier models. Still not really Much more expensive than most others right?

Well shit! I just checked, and since I got my RT 10s 4 weeks ago, the Crest is now quite a bit cheaper than the RT10. When I bought my RT10s, the two models differed by about $20.

The R12/Raiders & FR14/Freeraiders have also come down quite a bit. Early end to the season for all of us (price drops).

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 03-25-2020 at 03:35 PM.
    Galibier Design

In EU this season you could find the Crest online for 350 eur while the RT10 was order only in real shops for like 600 eur so big difference !

Ion

I've had 2 sets of vipecs. Originals and the latest evo. Never any issues with either, although the evos are much easier to step in (first time step in about 95% of time). I hear all the comments about plastic, but they seem pretty fine to me.

Obviously they are heavier than other bindings, but for regular touring objectives (mine is searching for good snow) they work great. I like the idea of increased safety in the toe and I like how they ski (very well with good elasticity). I even use them in-bounds from time to time with no issues.

Binding choice, as others have said (we are all lucky to have so much choice) really comes down to your own priorities.

Quote Originally Posted by cbgarrett View Post
    I've had 2 sets of vipecs.

I even use them in-bounds from time to time with no issues.
    No issues running my Vipec Blacks inbounds either, or taking one of the two pairs mounted with them as a travel ski.

I keep thinking that I should swap them for Tectons, but other than the touring lever working in the opposite direction (a good thing - once or twice I've flipped my heel free on the "down" with my Vipecs), I can't see a reason to do so.

For dedicated touring however, dropping almost 400g per foot (from 630) has been a revelation.

... Thom
    Galibier Design

* Dynafit Speed Turn . . . (340 g without brakes. . . ).

* Solly/Atomic MTN - real solid if you're OK with not being able to fine adjust release values (I'm not).

* ATK RT 10 or Crest 10 - 270/280 g. with brakes
    All of the above should be on OP's list. To be clear, OP should look at Speed Turn 2.0, which has the lighter Al alloy 4-screw toe. (OG Speed Turn had heavier 5-screw stamped steel toe.) Speed Turn 2.0 can be had for $250 if you shop around this time of the year. Best to mod with B&D (or DIY) Al alloy Comfort top plate and B&D Comfort volcano, which will drop around 25g (reducing entire binding to c. 315g) and greatly eases switching modes with a ski pole tip. Also, B&D volcanoes come with shitty flathead screws that tend to loosen, better to update to panhead. Screw size is 4-40 SAE

Quote Originally Posted by GeezerSteve View Post
    All of the above should be on OP's list. To be clear, OP should look at Speed Turn 2.0, which has the lighter Al alloy 4-screw toe. (OG Speed Turn had heavier 5-screw stamped steel toe.) Speed Turn 2.0 can be had for $250 if you shop around this time of the year. Best to mod with B&D (or DIY) Al alloy Comfort top plate and B&D Comfort volcano, which will drop around 25g (reducing entire binding to c. 315g) and greatly eases switching modes with a ski pole tip. Also, B&D volcanoes come with shitty flathead screws that tend to loosen, better to update to panhead. Screw size is 4-40 SAE
    4-40 and not metric? Interesting. I guess that's to screw the volcanoes into the top plate so it's all made here, in the land of freedom units.

Here's a link for the OP: https://skimo.co/bnd-binding-parts

... Thom
    Galibier Design

How does the speed turn 2.0 work on a wide ski? Currently have a Lotus 120 pure that has sollyfit plates and have been considering pulling those to put on vipec.

I ski 116 GPO with Comforts/Verticals on Dynaduke plates. I think they ski fine (actually awesome). The Speed Turn is similar to those bindings.

Maybe I should, but never really bother with trying to step into Tecton toes. Just leave the lever in ski mode, push the lever half way down with your pole, hook a pin into one side of the boot, then roll your boot over to align with the second pin, and slowly allow the lever back up. Swing the ski back and forth a few times to make sure the boot sockets are clear of ice, stomp on the toe a couple times to make sure it's solid, then step into heel. Easy.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    Maybe I should, but never really bother with trying to step into Tecton toes. Just leave the lever in ski mode, push the lever half way down with your pole, hook a pin into one side of the boot, then roll your boot over to align with the second pin, and slowly allow the lever back up. Swing the ski back and forth a few times to make sure the boot sockets are clear of ice, stomp on the toe a couple times to make sure it's solid, then step into heel. Easy.
    I’ll try that.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    I initially read this as a variant of the old Dynafiddle technique of engaging the heel pins first.

If I understand you correctly, you mean push the toe lever halfway - treating the toes as if they were G3 Onyxs?

... Thom
    Galibier Design

The only reason I can see for adding binding weight is if you're a bad-ass charger (then it's Shifts) or if you want lateral release from the toe (Tectons or Shifts), but that's just me. Some suggestions:

• Dynafit Speed Turn or it's hot rodded brother the Plum Guide 12 (340 g without brakes / 465 with).
    • Solly/Atomic MTN - real solid if you're OK with not being able to fine adjust release values (I'm not).
    • ATK RT 10 or Crest 10 - 270/280 g. with brakes. Other ATKs are great, but more pricey (and I'm leaving out the race binders, 'coz I suspect this isn't where you're at).

Take a pound off each foot and come back and tell my you don't appreciate it

... Thom
    Cody is a bad ass charger and he skis on mtn

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk