Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    Props to you and your partner for being foster parents. That’s awesome. Really sucks the situation the you’ve been put in. A protective dog is without a doubt the best home protection there is. I’m a fan of pump action for home defense. Lots of people will say the sound of the action isn’t effective but I disagree. Loud barking dog and racking a shotgun is very effective. You should also make sure the local leo is aware of the situation. I’m of the opinion that cops are totally ineffective but if they know the situation it will be to your benefit if things go bad. With kids in the house a handgun in the bedroom that is locked in a biometric case is your safest option.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Probably the answer you didn't come for, but your dog and a dead bolt are all you need.

That said, any of the above will do just fine, but IMHO, not really worth the risk of keeping them where you would think you want them.

Kudos on taking in the kids. You already know that you have changed their lives. No need to change yours.

@Mr Clean -
    Unless you already have a lot of experience with guns, I think the benefit of a shotgun in the house under these circumstances is way outweighed by the risks of shooting someone you care about.

Most drug addicts in my experience are non-confrontational. Are these people so aggressive they will do a home invasion to...what? Kidnap your foster?

Maybe you can get the clinic to provide a 24/7 guard for a while, in lieu of your not suing them and making a gigantic public stink. This is their fuckup- make ‘em own it

And good on you for fostering kids

I’m just here to say thanks for fostering kids and giving them the best opportunity to have a safe and healthy upbringing.

I’ll reiterate the praise for being foster parents.

As for home safety, guns should be a last choice. Proper locks, lighting, landscaping, cameras, etc should all be in line way before a firearm.

I hope you and your family remain safe.

Thanks all! I appreciate the perspective.

Going to think on the gun. I was wondering similar things - accessibility, lack of my experience, etc.

Really appreciate the collective!
    "Palin/Bachmann 2010 - It's a No-Brainer!"

Good luck on your decision. Always tough with kids in the house to make a decision.

One thing about "WHAT" to get....be aware you will be limited in your choices as nearly EVERY shotgun in the US is out of stock in the middle range. You will be forced most likely to be forced into one of the $200 mossbergs or H&Rs or something more than you need (given that it sounds like you have no other use for it other than HD) and costing some $$$$. I've noticed handguns are getting into this situation too lately...you won't have your first choice.

Oh and HD ammo is almost impossible to get unless you are active....however birdshot is readily available...but I wouldn't want to "stop" someone....I want to put them down if they enter my home. You don't get a second chance in such a situation.

Just MHO...

I'd put some pepper spray in the nightstand and a baseball bat or at least an old school heavy mag light behind the bed. I have a bunch of guns locked in a safe and keep the spray and club handy. My friends all seem to be breeding and pre-covid, bringing them over to the house which led me to locking up all firearms. Plus, buying anything right now is tricky due to supply.

I'd also call your local PD like recommended. Might gain you a little more presence in your neighborhood.

Sorry for your situation...life should be easier for kids. And people who take care of them.

Bird, buck, bird, buck, etc (recommended stacking of shotgun loads).

Remove the dowel if you aren’t hunting with it to get more shells in.

Hope you never have to use it. Nice work being a solid human to foster. I have profound respect.

Quote Originally Posted by MrClean View Post
    Sorry to revive this thread; it's been a while, but due to some events today, got me searching back on this forum for advice.

<Backstory> We are foster parents who adopted our latest placement 6 months ago (she's now 4). Birth Mom & Dad are homeless and addicts. Birth dad has a gun fetish and somewhat unstable best we can tell from the history, etc.

Fast forward to today... somebody at the Dr. office forgot to verify information so they accidentally sent her latest physical - with OUR residential and contact info - to birth mom. They had updated everything (name, address, phone #, etc) but apparently not email.... A very different problem to solve with that doctors office but not on this discussion..... My wife has gotten 2 random # calls this evening that hang up.

Now we're concerned about home defense. We do have a dog who is very protective. But contemplating if something like a shotgun would not be unwise.

Based on past threads, a shotgun for those less proficient and (depending on shell load per this thread) won't scatter too much nor penetrate beyond that which was aimed at... might not be a bad idea. For context, we have our 'new' 4 year old and our son - 7. I'd rather not accidentally shoot through something and get them for whatever reason.

Yes, I agree: Training and regular practice are a must. I was taught weapons handling when I was younger... a LONG time ago. So training, safe storage and practice are understood.

But I have seen a wide range of opinions. I'm less inclined to fret over, say $300 vs $500, if I have the piece of mind that when I need it, it will work reliably as expected.

I've seen Benelli Nova mentioned, followed by Mossberg followed by Remington (in order of people's apparent preference).

I guess... thoughts?

We are in a more populated area, so police response time is reasonable. Am I just having a wild reaction or should I be getting the appropriate storage, etc and weapon in the near-term?

Looking to the collective to offer perspective.

Thx.
    -MC
    I would get cameras and a home security system and change phone number and tell social services and the police

And change to another practice for childcare and report them if they haven’t self reported

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by sirbumpsalot View Post

.be aware you will be limited in your choices as nearly EVERY shotgun in the US is out of stock in the middle range. You will be forced most likely to be forced into one of the $200 mossbergs or H&Rs or something more than you need (given that it sounds like you have no other use for it other than HD) and costing some $$$$. I've noticed handguns are getting into this situation too lately...you won't have your first choice.
    I was in a store this morning that had a ton of everything. Shotguns, lever guns, ak's ar's, semi handguns of all prices, same for revolvers and HD ammo. I saw some kind of GF1 12g shotgun I had never seen for $400 that looked like it would work along with about 3 other sub $500 options.

https://www.gunsandammo.com/editoria...LoglbqEFGgg7KY

There is an ammo shortage though so due to demand and limited supply ammo costs were up to 3X of a year ago.

I would rather pay 3x if I needed it in this situation than have a great deal on an empty shelf.

PS Great work on the kid and I hope it works out.

WHat is the 2nd from top? Double barrel bullpup?

Quote Originally Posted by Woolie12 View Post
    Oh, wait - Did someone say SHOTGUN:

Attachment 322564

Would like to get a Benelli M4 just for something a little more traditional.

Quote Originally Posted by MrClean View Post
    I've seen Benelli Nova mentioned, followed by Mossberg followed by Remington (in order of people's apparent preference).
    I guess... thoughts?
    -MC
    Remington 870, awesome reliability. But birdshot won't do shit to a cracked out meth-head. get BuckShot, or slugs. If you are worried about over-penetration into surrounding walls, take a look at short shells.. or mini-shells.. You can fit more in, less recoil for follow up shots, and less worry about penetration through sheet rock.. Not sure the Remmy likes them though, Mossberg makes an adapter to run them in the 500 series.

https://www.pewpewtactical.com/shotgun-mini-shells/

Thanks all.

Currently leaning towards ensuring proper video coverage, calling our daughter's prior case worker to make them aware and generally being more proactive with door locking, etc.

I appreciate the countering points. Having 2 kids running around and ensuring a firearm is both ready for use AND safe seems - for someone like me who is very inexperienced - a challenge.

The dog - I hate to admit this as we used foster them because they are misunderstood - is a rescued 64lbs pit who LOVES the kids and is ALWAYS by them....

As for the bio-parents... they are several towns away and do not (looking at the history provided by the case worker and other sources) seem like the B&E type but then again, I'm not letting my guard down. LEO and the prior case worker probably can help remind them where they don't "belong".

I greatly appreciate the collective's different views!

I mean, it was probably the mom who called, just hoping to hear the kid's voice. Why on earth would either the mom or dad harbor any ill will towards you, when you helped them and their kid out? I say calm down son. Take reasonable precautions, bump up security a bit, and carry on living.

Fair point. I will just say: You would be surprised on what emotions get projected.

Buying a shotgun. What do I need to know?

I’ll chime in I guess, couple things... your calls to SS and the PD will do not a damn thing in a bad situation, be ready take care of your family. I get the dichotomy between safety of kids in a house with firearms and safety of kids in house w/o firearms, that’s your call but I can promise shit will go down before police arrive in any bad situation and anyone who claims otherwise has never been in that bad of a situation. It’s a personal choice (thank goodness we still have that choice), choose what makes best since for you. I literally just watched Tight Loose and I can say for sure that if you don’t have a shotgun you can’t parachute off a lawn chair floating to the heavens by way of balloons, so there’s that, RIP Roner we miss you!

...and FWIW good on you for being a great person and parent to take them time to think logically about how to protect your family. Best of luck!!
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

OP, you have to know someone who owns a shotgun and hasn't committed mass murder. Buy the ammo, get a clue. The rules are simple and obvious. Most responsible gun owners would be eager to show you the right way to do things. Feels good man.

A shotgun will make you respect its fearsome violent lethal power. It did me. I was about 6. Being exposed to guns and witnessing what they were capable of pretty much ensured I was no more going to play around with guns than I was going to play around with dynamite in the house.
    I stole $22 from someone's wallet at a swimming pool... I took the keys to my grandfather's '72 Nova 327 and wrapped it around a tree... I slapped the shit out of my school bus driver and had to walk to middle school...But I never touched my dad's guns [or glass presentation gun cabinet] any more than some other kid would touch his dad's katana or battle armor. Big medicine.

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    I'd put some pepper spray in the nightstand and a baseball bat or at least an old school heavy mag light behind the bed. I have a bunch of guns locked in a safe and keep the spray and club handy.
    This is very similar to my home defense strategy. Bear spray and a Louisville Slugger. Guns are locked away in the basement in a safe. I have thought about a handgun in the nightstand, in a quick access safe, but shooting in the dark with kids in bedrooms all around just doesn't seem like a good plan.

Good luck MC. Stupid doctor office, you should slap those fuckers with a lawsuit. That is an egregious error.

Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    Props to you and your partner for being foster parents. That’s awesome. Really sucks the situation the you’ve been put in. A protective dog is without a doubt the best home protection there is. I’m a fan of pump action for home defense. Lots of people will say the sound of the action isn’t effective but I disagree. Loud barking dog and racking a shotgun is very effective. You should also make sure the local leo is aware of the situation. I’m of the opinion that cops are totally ineffective but if they know the situation it will be to your benefit if things go bad. With kids in the house a handgun in the bedroom that is locked in a biometric case is your safest option.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    I read through everything this is what I was going to type. I have a 12 semi auto that holds 10 rounds. It's hell on earth. But has to be disassembled and cleaned about every 100 rounds. Or it starts to jam. If you go shotgun get a pump.

But you don't leave a loaded shot gun out of a gun safe when not in use. "Asking for trouble". For home defense and hours of fun at the range.

Buy a semi auto pistol. A 9 millimeter. And a single gun biometric safe. My liberty safe sits on my night stand
    2 finger swipes and and my 45 with 14 rounds is in my hand with one in the pipe. But you gotta know what your doing. Inside a house that's the way to go.

Couple claymores augmenting the above and you’re all good.

I will say this to add to my comment above: I have been in a situation where I've had a shotgun to someone's face, and in that heated moment, the one that lead there, I chose not to pull the trigger and take that life, I took that whollp to the face and the glasses flying into the ether.

And I'm glad I did. And I'm sure he is too. I've also had my glock to someone's head, and I'm very happy to have not to have pulled that trigger either.

Guns are very powerful tools with one result if you are accurate. It's a life ending choice. Be very smart about it, no matter what your feelings are.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    if your accurate wouldnt you be able to puts the round in a non lethal target area
    cause you know not all gunshots are lethal
    right?
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

My wife went through a bad divorce 2 kids involved. Anyway her ex has a serious mental disorder and is volatile as fuck. Our first five years of marriage was spent with a gun under the pillow. It became part of my routine, wake up put gun back in the safe. Just before bed put gun within arms reach. I always made sure the kids never knew about the gun or saw it because I didn't want them to be scared. We decided on a gun because we live in the country, nearest law enforcement is minimum 25 minutes away. Thankfully our first line of defense two Giant Alaskan Malamutes took care of his one and only attempt at coming over. If we lived in the city with a few minute response time by the cops I probably wouldn't have a gun at all, just a baseball bat by the bed would be enough to manage things before reinforcements arrive.

I also will say prior to this I never owned or fired a gun in my life. Nothing against them, just never interested in them. We still have the gun in the safe, haven't fired it in the last 6 or 7 years and honestly don't really feel the need to have it anymore but haven't made the effort to get rid of it either. I guess in the back of my mind knowing it's there if I need it adds a sense of security.

Quote Originally Posted by easyrdr View Post
    My wife went through a bad divorce 2 kids involved. Anyway her ex has a serious mental disorder and is volatile as fuck. Our first five years of marriage was spent with a gun under the pillow. It became part of my routine, wake up put gun back in the safe. Just before bed put gun within arms reach. I always made sure the kids never knew about the gun or saw it because I didn't want them to be scared. We decided on a gun because we live in the country, nearest law enforcement is minimum 25 minutes away. Thankfully our first line of defense two Giant Alaskan Malamutes took care of his one and only attempt at coming over. If we lived in the city with a few minute response time by the cops I probably wouldn't have a gun at all, just a baseball bat by the bed would be enough to manage things before reinforcements arrive.

I also will say prior to this I never owned or fired a gun in my life. Nothing against them, just never interested in them. We still have the gun in the safe, haven't fired it in the last 6 or 7 years and honestly don't really feel the need to have it anymore but haven't made the effort to get rid of it either. I guess in the back of my mind knowing it's there if I need it adds a sense of security.
    You should clean and lube that occasionally. Ya, I know, that's what she said.