Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    I have a bolt action 12g mossberg that's old, reliable and sized a little too big for me. I've only ever shot firewood off a stump. Never thought I'd keep this out for the idea of protection.

Quote Originally Posted by ride550 View Post
    good luck with that

For the last 20 years I’ve had a 1100 with an 18.75” barrel in my closet loaded with number 4 shot as my home defense gun. It seems kind of defense/tactical oriented, and I’ve been thinking of swapping it for a less intimidating looking gun which could be just as practical. Along the lines that I used grandpa’s old pump gun to defend myself, and not some aggressive tactical gun. I’ve got an 1897 12 gauge which I haven’t shot in 30 years. The gun drops the hammer from halfcock if the trigger is pulled. Recently I found a smith who specializes in these guns and will rebuild and refurbish them. This gun is super smooth, and was my duck and pheasant gun as a teenager. I also like that it can be stored fully loaded, with the hammer down on a loaded chamber. Do you guys have any opinions on this? For about $500 I can have this old gun running like new and be safe and reliable

Has anyone suggested making sure your toe can actuate the trigger?

#darkhumor
    . . .

Your dark humor is lost on me. Anyone else have any views on resurrecting a classic pump gun? It might not be the greatest gun by today’s standards, but somehow I’ve made it to the age of 53 and I’ve never needed a gun for defense. . I’m betting statistically I’d never use one. Plus it has no trigger disconnect

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Has anyone suggested making sure your toe can actuate the trigger?

#darkhumor
    Kurt Cobain had his shoes on.....
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Jethro View Post
    Your dark humor is lost on me. Anyone else have any views on resurrecting a classic pump gun? It might not be the greatest gun by today’s standards, but somehow I’ve made it to the age of 53 and I’ve never needed a gun for defense. . I’m betting statistically I’d never use one. Plus it has no trigger disconnect
    I would do it, I've never regretted sticking money into an old gun.

Just buy a new barrel for the 1100. I have an 1100 and 1187 and really like both guns. The 1187 is my grouse/pheasant/clays gun. The only issue I've had with either is I lost the extractor claw and spring on a hunt through a blizzard this January.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/100374836

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Buying a shotgun. What do I need to know?

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    These posts made me look up my glock. 2.5 gen, all made in austria. Shit, I can't believe I've had it for 19 years. Has never let me down.

Tons of info on the proofed glocks: https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/ho...ck-19.1662280/
    Most glocks before 1989 were 100% Austrian. Everything else since has been Austrian slide, USA frame, until those Gen 3’s we’re rushed in. Around 2010 or something.

There are much rarer guns though 22C RTF, 23c RTF had runs of less than 1000. Those are $2000 guns, and the average gun shop has no idea. Puts them in the case as another 40 SW.

Gen 1 Glock 19, only 50 were imported. About 30 went to the Kansas Coty Beverage Control, they are worth 15k in any condition.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Stainless View Post
    Wait, really?
    Not that I care, absolutely hated his music.
    Maybe the coroner was all like "If I rule this a homcide, they'll eventually get the person who did the world a favor....on the other hand....suicice it is!"

Quote Originally Posted by scrambledbacon View Post
    Wait, really?
    Not that I care, absolutely hated his music.
    Maybe the coroner was all like "If I rule this a homcide, they'll eventually get the person who did the world a favor....on the other hand....suicice it is!"
    You should watch the documentary Kurt and Courtney. It's mostly hot garbage but kinda makes you go hmm.. Bonus participation by El Duce from The Mentors (RIP).

$15k for a Glock? Wow, didn't see that coming. What if I manage to find and import a Gen 1 19 from overseas?
    In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).

Then you would have 1 more fine pistol?

I bought a used G-22 .40 back in mid-2005 with 2 LEO 15 round mags and the standard 9 round mag and a hard shell case for 300 bucks.

It is a nice weapon that I rarely shoot. 3 bills seems like a heckuva deal now.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    [/IMG]

This thing is deadly accurate. I felled a small 4 or 5 inch diameter tree once in 8 shots from about 30 yards. The guy with the 45-70 Henry that put one right through the tree 1st might have helped, but it was still pretty impressive.

It has a side mount scope, so you can use the scope for distance, and the iron sights for close up.
    I lived in the South for years, and unless you really go out of your way to find flat wide-open agricultural country, your shots on deer are all going to be under 100 yards. You can't see much further than that in those woods, and even if you could your scope always blurs sticks that deflect and frag. So you're shooting deer at 20-60yds, through little 4" holes, from a treestand or shack stand that may or may not afford a rest. No rest, no minute-of-angle groups no matter how much you spent...

Like Jack O'Connor, I'd rate the 30-30 up there as #2 American big game cartridge of all time. Probably #1, if you go by weight of all the bacon it's brought home. It's as versatile as the .30-06, with factory loads from 130gr to 190gr, and just as good on anything other than grizz or beanfield shots.

For decades, the .30-30 was a social marker here in Alaska. Native subsistence hunters couldn't afford fine MOA rifles in elite wildcat cartridges. So for years and years, if you found some brass on the ground you could tell if a Native or a white guy fired it by the caliber.

I smashed the plastic front site off my G2 glock 19 from sep of 87 by the code.

Its not anything awesome, I got a free site from a zip lock bag of them at the gun store.

The CX4 has some serious weak points (the plastic hammer; the plastic recoil spring guide that breaks at the drop of a hat; and the silly method of retaining the recoil spring (using a slot in a rubber(ish) buffer that tears through in no time).
    I almost got one for $400 way back but googled cx4 problems and passed.

I actually own a CX4, and have shot a whole bunch of others in .40 and .45 and they've all been rock solid.

Real world beats google fu any day.

Quote Originally Posted by Jethro View Post
    For the last 20 years I’ve had a 1100 with an 18.75” barrel in my closet loaded with number 4 shot as my home defense gun. It seems kind of defense/tactical oriented, and I’ve been thinking of swapping it for a less intimidating looking gun which could be just as practical. Along the lines that I used grandpa’s old pump gun to defend myself, and not some aggressive tactical gun. I’ve got an 1897 12 gauge which I haven’t shot in 30 years. The gun drops the hammer from halfcock if the trigger is pulled. Recently I found a smith who specializes in these guns and will rebuild and refurbish them. This gun is super smooth, and was my duck and pheasant gun as a teenager. I also like that it can be stored fully loaded, with the hammer down on a loaded chamber. Do you guys have any opinions on this? For about $500 I can have this old gun running like new and be safe and reliable
    $500 is about the value of the gun, but you want your old gun to run it’s best then why not?

I would be really picky about shells. If I had to shoot non-toxic, I would pick Bismuth or Tungston matrix shells to not not do any more damage to the choke and barrel.

Lastly, I don’t personally feel that the hammer is all that safe to handle on mine, so If I were going to use it, I would put on a hammer spur or extension.

Lastly, have you checked references and seemed a second quote? Unless, like my cracked stock, it has a visible issue, $500 seems like a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Stainless View Post
    Can’t find that. But did find an odd Wikipedia

The sheriff took 4 rolls of film and didn’t develop them for twenty years.? Wtf

On April 14, 1994, the Seattle Post-Intelligencer reported that Cobain was "high on heroin when he pulled the trigger". The paper reported that the toxicological tests determined that the level of morphine in Cobain's bloodstream was 1.52 milligrams per liter and that there was also evidence of valium in his blood. The report contained a quote from Dr. Randall Baselt of the Chemical Toxicological Institute, stating that Cobain's heroin level was at "a high concentration, by any account". He also stated that the strength of that dose would depend on many factors, including how habituated Cobain was to the drug.[18]

In March 2014, the Seattle Police Department developed four rolls of film that had been left in an evidence vault. According to the Seattle police, the 35mm photographs depict the scene of Cobain's corpse more clearly than previous Polaroid images taken by the police. Detective Mike Ciesynski, a cold case investigator, was asked to look at the film because "it is 20 years later and it's a high media case." Ciesynski stated that the official cause of Cobain's death remains suicide and that the images will not be released publicly.[19][20] According to a spokesperson for the Seattle police, the department receives at least one request weekly, mostly through Twitter, to reopen the investigation. This resulted in the maintenance of the basic incident report on file.[20]
    . . .

Name:  B4BrpDdg.jpg
Views: 534
Size:  71.7 KB
    Last edited by klauss; 03-24-2020 at 12:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TNKen View Post
    Attachment 322003

Some of the short shotties.
    Benelli M1 Super 90
    Remington Tac-14
    Beretta FP 1301
    Winchester 1200
    Winchester Model 12
    Winchester 1200
    Another Benelli lives at the office.
    Fuck. That Tac-14 looks like a tasty little number. I can't even imagine what I'd have to do to get one compliant with this nutbag state. How's it shoot?

Wait did they send the taxman again? didja lose yer job and
    "Can't you see..."

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Tucker View Post
    Wait did they send the taxman again? didja lose yer job and
    I hate that fucking song with a passion.

Quote Originally Posted by klauss View Post
    Name:  B4BrpDdg.jpg
Views: 534
Size:  71.7 KB
    Shit that’s funny

Quote Originally Posted by BS720 View Post
    Fuck. That Tac-14 looks like a tasty little number. I can't even imagine what I'd have to do to get one compliant with this nutbag state. How's it shoot?
    It is a 20 gauge. Not nearly as bad as the 12 gauges. Doesn't hold a great pattern much beyond 20 yards or so, but good enough. #4 buck in it is a great load.

The gun is not NFA. No clue what your legislature may have done to stem the tide of the evil assault shotguns.
    In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).

Yeah, I saw the pump grip and was thinking, huh, that's gonna get hot holding it from the top. 20g may solve that.

Buying a shotgun. What do I need to know?

Quote Originally Posted by TNKen View Post
    $15k for a Glock? Wow, didn't see that coming. What if I manage to find and import a Gen 1 19 from overseas?
    I’m going to find mine at the bottom of a gun shop display case, covered in dust, behind the 40’s no one wants, and un appreciated by a 1911 toting owner.

Here is a recent story of a guy paying through the nose for a gen 1, 19.

https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/pr...ck-19.1675140/