Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    if your accurate wouldnt you be able to puts the round in a non lethal target area
    cause you know not all gunshots are lethal
    right?
    The police and justice system only needs to hear one side of the story.
    Just don't shoot anybody you don't plan on killing, and you'll be fine.

Why do I want a Stoeger over-under? Is that a bad thing? They even make a 22" barrell "skeet" and 20" barrell "Outback". $400, $450 or something.
    Talk me out of it.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Why do I want a Stoeger over-under? Is that a bad thing? They even make a 22" barrell "skeet" and 20" barrell "Outback". $400, $450 or something.
    Talk me out of it.
    Something must be wrong here, because those barrel lengths are shorter than most turkey rigs.

That aside, I haven’t shot a low end clays or field gun that doesn’t feel shitty. Personal preference I guess, but I am skeptical of any o/u that is less than $750ish.

I am in the lock your long guns up and use other methods of home defense corner.

However, for anyone reading and wanting a shotgun for home defense, I strongly encourage you buy this load:

https://www.targetsportsusa.com/hevi...04-p-4221.aspx

It has a lower propensity to ricochet or penetrate walls than other pellet materials.

Honestly, if I had an active threat going on like Mr.Clean or others have described, I would probably keep my shotgun in my bedroom until it was resolved. But without an active threat, it's just not worth the associated risks.

Jesus, don’t buy a gun for home defense. Good locks, lock them. Get one or two loud dogs.

The amount of fear out there is ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Honestly, if I had an active threat going on like Mr.Clean or others have described, I would probably keep my shotgun in my bedroom until it was resolved. But without an active threat, it's just not worth the associated risks.
    He's got kids in the house. You only have to get lazy or turn your back once. Best to have something that works a stays in a steel box until you run your finger on it

Talk me out of it.
    The only Turkish gun I would buy is a CZ. I have several Franchis I purchased with a little online searching for less than $400 that are 10x the gun of the Stoeger.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    Jesus, don’t buy a gun for home defense. Good locks, lock them. Get one or two loud dogs.

Not to mention all the seriously bad advice about gun handling and types of ammo to use in this thread is just as ridiculous
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

100%

Talk me out of it.
    I bought a Condor a few months ago. It doesn't break well at all and I had multiple misfires within my first few hundred shells.
    swing your fucking sword.

Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    I bought a Condor a few months ago. It doesn't break well at all and I had multiple misfires within my first few hundred shells.
    Figures.
    You try some Ballistol or lube or anything?
    No longer stuck.

Figures.
    You try some Ballistol or lube or anything?
    Yeah, I lubed it up pretty good and spent like an hour just breaking it while watching tv. It didn't make all that much of a difference because it was simply a matter of the fit of the cast. I sold it to a friend. Fuck that gun.
    swing your fucking sword.

My boss bought a Stoeger. I give him endless shit about being able to afford a gentleman's gun, but not owning one. I like Franchi, for the money. Twice the price of a Stoeger at this point, but definitely worth the money.

If you're doing a pump, I like bird, buck slug.

Quote Originally Posted by MrClean View Post
    Sorry to revive this thread; it's been a while, but due to some events today, got me searching back on this forum for advice.

<Backstory> We are foster parents who adopted our latest placement 6 months ago (she's now 4). Birth Mom & Dad are homeless and addicts. Birth dad has a gun fetish and somewhat unstable best we can tell from the history, etc.

Fast forward to today... somebody at the Dr. office forgot to verify information so they accidentally sent her latest physical - with OUR residential and contact info - to birth mom. They had updated everything (name, address, phone #, etc) but apparently not email.... A very different problem to solve with that doctors office but not on this discussion..... My wife has gotten 2 random # calls this evening that hang up.

Now we're concerned about home defense. We do have a dog who is very protective. But contemplating if something like a shotgun would not be unwise.

Based on past threads, a shotgun for those less proficient and (depending on shell load per this thread) won't scatter too much nor penetrate beyond that which was aimed at... might not be a bad idea. For context, we have our 'new' 4 year old and our son - 7. I'd rather not accidentally shoot through something and get them for whatever reason.

Yes, I agree: Training and regular practice are a must. I was taught weapons handling when I was younger... a LONG time ago. So training, safe storage and practice are understood.

But I have seen a wide range of opinions. I'm less inclined to fret over, say $300 vs $500, if I have the piece of mind that when I need it, it will work reliably as expected.

I've seen Benelli Nova mentioned, followed by Mossberg followed by Remington (in order of people's apparent preference).

I guess... thoughts?

We are in a more populated area, so police response time is reasonable. Am I just having a wild reaction or should I be getting the appropriate storage, etc and weapon in the near-term?

Looking to the collective to offer perspective.

Thx.yuj kg
    -MC

Uegfcdcq dcd

SHUT THE FUCK UP JONG

Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    Yeah, I lubed it up pretty good and spent like an hour just breaking it while watching tv. It didn't make all that much of a difference because it was simply a matter of the fit of the cast. I sold it to a friend. Fuck that gun.

Not a gentleman's gun, but it's a good import, and the Philippine Nacional standard issue riot gun:

Great home defense shotgun for <$250. Built way heavier than a Maverick, which you can't find these days anyway.
    Fighting ["Defensive"] shotguns guns are made to fill the short-range air full of buckshot, then use as a club if you can't get reloaded fast enough.
    Guadalcanal, 1943, your M1917 Browning heavy takes a frag and jams during a banzai charge...If it can handle that, it can handle Tony Montana's home defense problems.

One gun stowed/locked/etc vs dogs that need to be fed, attended to, and walked 2-3x daily for life?

"Jesus, don’t buy a gun for home defense. Good locks, lock them. Get one or two loud dogs.

The amount of fear out there is ridiculous. "

My garage cabinets are diebold bank teller cabinets, I got them without the keys. I was able to watch youtube and with a $20 pick open 15 of them in 20 minutes. A New York rated lock might slow somebody down.
    Name:  teller.jpg
Views: 549
Size:  53.4 KB
    I'm guessing somebody could kick in your door in 10 seconds or less. The house I own, had 3 door jams kicked in when I moved in.

I put the biggest barrel bolt locks I could get from lowe's on all outside garage doors. 2 per and lagged them with 6" lags, I pad lock them and put the barrel on 2 studs on the jam. But I still have windows...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	barrel.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	100.2 KB 
ID:	344021

A pork chop and some anti freeze and 2 rabid dogs aren't doing anything.

There isn't much good shot placement won't stop.

When I was a kid 3 men broke into my parents home while I was there with a friend and my dog. We charged them with the dog and a fly swatter. I'm not charging 3 guys with a fly swatter again.

If a Benelli M4 is good enough for John Wick...

CZ Drake looks good for the money. Maybe I can find one used.
    Anything about going 20ga, btw? I figure there's a lot less cheap ammo, but I'm guessing there's also a lot less recoil and that would be fun for clay pigeons and maybe taking those of smaller stature shooting.
    No longer stuck.

for HD you run into some issues finding the bigger loads (BB/Buckshot) in 20, I think. its just overall less. but, for clays, most upland birds, etc, 20ga all day.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

12 ga target loads shoot pretty soft, so personally I don't see much benefit comparing the two.

Also take in account, a lot of 20 ga rigs come in smaller and lighter construction so any lighter loads will be offset by the lighter guns. Light guns are great in the hills, but not necessary if you're looking to blast clays.

Most important, fit of a gun will determine a lot of the felt recoil.

Quote Originally Posted by exsparky View Post
    "Jesus, don’t buy a gun for home defense. Good locks, lock them. Get one or two loud dogs.

The amount of fear out there is ridiculous. "

My garage cabinets are diebold bank teller cabinets, I got them without the keys. I was able to watch youtube and with a $20 pick open 15 of them in 20 minutes. A New York rated lock might slow somebody down.
    Name:  teller.jpg
Views: 549
Size:  53.4 KB
    I'm guessing somebody could kick in your door in 10 seconds or less. The house I own, had 3 door jams kicked in when I moved in.

I put the biggest barrel bolt locks I could get from lowe's on all outside garage doors. 2 per and lagged them with 6" lags, I pad lock them and put the barrel on 2 studs on the jam. But I still have windows...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	barrel.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	100.2 KB 
ID:	344021

A pork chop and some anti freeze and 2 rabid dogs aren't doing anything.

There isn't much good shot placement won't stop.

When I was a kid 3 men broke into my parents home while I was there with a friend and my dog. We charged them with the dog and a fly swatter. I'm not charging 3 guys with a fly swatter again.
    You must live in a pretty shitty area, or it’s a good story to justify your Rambo fantasies.

A house is less likely to be burglarized if it has decent locks and a barking dog. People don’t want to mess with the noise of breaking in or a barking and possibly aggressive dog.

You must live in a pretty shitty area, or it’s a good story to justify your Rambo fantasies.

A house is less likely to be burglarized if it has decent locks and a barking dog. People don’t want to mess with the noise of breaking in or a barking and possibly aggressive dog.

Both were 7 figure homes, the first on a nice golf course.
    https://www.redrockscountryclub.org/

I can open a "decent lock" with a wood door jam using my foot.
    With tools, I can open a "residential security container"/safe in 10 minutes.

Having a dog helps but they aren't superman.

When I called to report the 3 guys that broke into my house, the cops couldn't find my house. I had to drive to the fire station down the street and have them follow me home. 45 minutes after I called.

Maybe your aggressive dog will hold bad guys off for 45 minutes while I drive down the street to help the cops find me.

My buddy lived in a gated community "Daniels gate" and chased 2 guys out of his car on a Wednesday afternoon.
    https://www.highgarden-denver.com/ca...els-gate-homes