Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    Had me a rough one yesterday.

Made it through to today.

It’s so hard this time of year. Everybody is skiing everywhere else. It’s cold and shitty here but not wintery enough for winter fun. So dark.
    Hard to even explain.
    I went ski touring in the UP once. Dark is the word.

When we met, I was barely dragging my ass around easy stuff at Solitude at 240lbs.

I had to see the doc for a yearly so my wife could get a $300 credit to our health insurance. So now I know I’m 290 lbs. I’m now over a breakover point where I’m so old and fat it’s probably dangerous to (really) work out.
    I need fucking water aerobics or something.

I dunno. People are dying of covid and losing their houses from unemployment and stuff. I’m fat and being a baby about not having enough fun. I used to be pretty tough. Trying to harden the f back up.

I'm with you ill advised. We have entered what my wife and I call the gray season. We don't expect to see the sun again until May. The depression is real this time of year. No sun, short days, gray skies, it's a fucking bad groundhog day that's for sure. I still haven't figured that perfect formula, weed helps, getting outside regardless of weather also helps. I hang on to the breaking point then jump in the truck and drive straight through to Colorado even if it's only for two days. Some would say I'm nuts, but even if I only get a day in the mountains it is enough of a reset to get through the midwest shit. Life plan takes us back out west as soon as the kids graduate, only got to make it 3 more years............and having that in the back of my mind also keeps me going.

I’m fat and being a baby about not having enough fun. I used to be pretty tough. Trying to harden the f back up.
    It's a good mental break, a mental challenge, being outside is important for any human, and it's exercise. It also happens to be fun, so why wouldn't you want to ski/bike or whatever?

Getting outside regardless of weather is the key for me. IAS, can’t remember if you ride bike but if you do get some good lights and ride at night, it adds some fun and kills a couple of hours when it’s getting dark at 4:30pm, plus low impact.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

When we met, I was barely dragging my ass around easy stuff at Solitude at 240lbs.

I had to see the doc for a yearly so my wife could get a $300 credit to our health insurance. So now I know I’m 290 lbs. I’m now over a breakover point where I’m so old and fat it’s probably dangerous to (really) work out.

I dunno. People are dying of covid and losing their houses from unemployment and stuff. I’m fat and being a baby about not having enough fun. I used to be pretty tough. Trying to harden the f back up.
    When we met, you were surfing mad pow in the steep stashes of Solitude and making it look easy.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2020-11-30_01-45-23.jpeg 
Views:	98 
Size:	85.4 KB 
ID:	350517

Name:	2020-11-30_01-45-15.jpeg 
Size:	126.8 KB 
ID:	350518

There's a whole bunch of us who want to ski with you again and can't get enough of your brilliant internet prose.

So switch to chopsticks, make a training plan, and get stoked, man! You are loved.

-S

I know money is tight for you, but maybe get one of those therapy lights used to treat SAD?
    https://www.health.com/depression/be...-therapy-boxes
    https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-pro...t/pac-20384604

You don't need to work out to lose weight. What you eat is far more important, and eating healthy doesn't need to be expensive. You can get 20 lb bags of potatoes for $6 (https://www.walmart.com/ip/Russet-Po...SABEgJYcvD_BwE). That's 7,000 healthy AF calories for $6. Sure, a potato-based diet isn't the most exciting, but whatever you're eating right now is making you fat and miserable so whatever joy you derive from it probably isn't worth it.

Also, Wim Hof breathing, seriously. The cold showers and/or swimming in cold water too if you can work up to it. Five minutes in 45* water is metabolically equivalent to ~30 minutes of moderate-intensity exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    When we met, you were surfing mad pow in the steep stashes of Solitude and making it look easy.

Name:	2020-11-30_01-45-23.jpeg 
Size:	85.4 KB 
ID:	350517

Name:	2020-11-30_01-45-15.jpeg 
Size:	126.8 KB 
ID:	350518

There's a whole bunch of us who want to ski with you again and can't get enough of your brilliant internet prose.

So switch to chopsticks, make a training plan, and get stoked, man! You are loved.

-S
    What he said.

Another thing I've found fun in the winter is walking the dogs at night around the neighborhood with headlamps. If I'm really motivated, I'll run, but that is rare.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    I know money is tight for you, but maybe get one of those therapy lights used to treat SAD?
    https://www.health.com/depression/be...-therapy-boxes
    https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-pro...t/pac-20384604
    I actually clicked in here to mention SAD and lights. Definitely helped my daughter in Wisconsin.

I'll defer to Dan on the rest of it, but maybe don't fry the potatoes.

ps. "dragging your ass around Solitude"??? bullshit you rip son.

That sucks- sorry

No Roger, No Rerun, No Rent

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    I'll defer to Dan on the rest of it, but maybe don't fry the potatoes.
    Deep frying is definitely not compatible with a mostly-potato diet. Roasted potatoes and oven fries are cool if you don't go crazy with the oil. Obviously, there are lots of other cheap and healthy foods out there, too. Potatoes just happen to land especially high on the cheap/healthy matrix.

J,
    my man. Our blissful days at Solitude are behind us, but well remembered. ( they may have been more blissful for you for reasons you remember)
    I also find myself in a place where it is too cold and shitty to do much of anything and more fat than I prefer.
    maybe we could make getting less fat fun . A challenge of sorts.

hit me up on the olde mobile and we can devise a challenge...

SAD lights are real too, helped my wife out a lot.

There are some awesome people in this thread. Some I know, many I don't. Both on the help wanted and help given side of the equation. It is nice to see that we've got a little bit of what many don't around here. Keep fighting the good fight ya'll.

Deep frying is definitely not compatible with a mostly-potato diet. Roasted potatoes and oven fries are cool if you don't go crazy with the oil. Obviously, there are lots of other cheap and healthy foods out there, too. Potatoes just happen to land especially high on the cheap/healthy matrix.
    Air fryer for the win here. Best of both worlds. Crispy fries without the oil. Almost just as good. Far better than oven roasted if you're looking for fries. I'm sure there's a cyber monday deal out there right now.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Quote Originally Posted by DJSapp View Post
    Air fryer for the win here. Best of both worlds. Crispy fries without the oil. Almost just as good. Far better than oven roasted if you're looking for fries. I'm sure there's a cyber monday deal out there right now.
    Good call. No acrylamides with air fryers, either. There are a couple techniques available to vastly improve oven fries and roasted potatoes, but they all involve some extra steps and time, whereas an air dryer cuts time off the whole operation.

IAS, is there any chance you have sleep apnea? It wouldn't be too surprising at your size. There is a causal directional relationship between sleep loss and both weight gain and depression.

My Dad struggled with depression to the point he totally gave up and gave in to his demons. The poor man got kicked in the nuts more so than most. I figure genetically I'm predisposed to have issues, honestly I think we all are. I have my moments but as stupid as it is, Sarah Silverman gave me the saying that puts it all in perspective for me every time.

We are all just creatures on a huge rock flying through outer-space.

It helps me say fuck it, it is what it is and move on and enjoy this little bit of time we get on this big rock.
    Hello darkness my old friend

Quote Originally Posted by easyrdr View Post
    I'm with you ill advised. We have entered what my wife and I call the gray season. We don't expect to see the sun again until May. The depression is real this time of year. No sun, short days, gray skies, it's a fucking bad groundhog day that's for sure. I still haven't figured that perfect formula, weed helps, getting outside regardless of weather also helps. I hang on to the breaking point then jump in the truck and drive straight through to Colorado even if it's only for two days. Some would say I'm nuts, but even if I only get a day in the mountains it is enough of a reset to get through the midwest shit. Life plan takes us back out west as soon as the kids graduate, only got to make it 3 more years............and having that in the back of my mind also keeps me going.
    Wow. You were like a kid when you showed up at Alta in, what? 2002? Now your kids are graduating? Damn. I'm really fucking old.

Depression kills

I’ve just come out of 2 yr funk. I was run ragged selling insurance, dealing with kids, regret being stuck here in St Louis, chronic tinnitus and my dog dieing. It got really bad a couple of times. Thank God I found a good counselor. I avoided meds, everyone said go on drugs, but I am so glad I didn’t. I was always tired, even though I’m in great shape and eat pretty well. I’ve been tired for 8 yrs, about when I turned 40. Turns out my testosterone was 189. I always thought it was my diabetes, so I worked out harder, and harder. Got down to my college swimming weight in June. Still fallin asleep by 10 Am. Well, I take weekly T shots now and feel fucking great. 2 yrs of serious depression almost gone. I think the incredible stress I had from divorce, career etc really hurt my body.

I’ve read about a lot veterans being misdiagnosed with ptsd etc and had the same issue.

Check everything before you go out n meds or give up.

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    ps. "dragging your ass around Solitude"??? bullshit you rip son.
    I was dying on the sidesteps.

Thanks guys.

The bike commute used to be a big help with fitness, but I just started having irreconcilable back problems that came from all the hip tightness I get from pedaling this hilly town.

I dunno. It’ll be fine. I just kind of gave up for like 8 months. You really can’t do that. Don’t do that.

Good call. No acrylamides with air fryers, either. There are a couple techniques available to vastly improve oven fries and roasted potatoes, but they all involve some extra steps and time, whereas an air dryer cuts time off the whole operation.

IAS, is there any chance you have sleep apnea? It wouldn't be too surprising at your size. There is a causal directional relationship between sleep loss and both weight gain and depression.
    Yeah, worth a thought

Thanks guys.

The bike commute used to be a big help with fitness, but I just started having irreconcilable back problems that came from all the hip tightness I get from pedaling this hilly town.

I dunno. It’ll be fine. I just kind of gave up for like 8 months. You really can’t do that. Don’t do that.
    Ha, those sidesteps always suck and you had 70 pounds more than me to haul up them. And it was warm out.

I gave up for a few months this summer, felt like I gave up for a few years as I tried to get in shape this fall.

I try to remember that I’ll be dead soon enough anyways. Best case I have another 15,000 more days to go so the end is in sight no matter how you look at it.

I wish my friends and family who have been casualties of depression were here, so its likely someone(s) would feel the same about you.

Fuck money and fuck yesterday’s mistakes.

Get lots of exercise, sleep, and good food.

Your redux starts tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

Thanks guys.

I get it. Vibes J. The dark blows.
    Don't discount the love you get from here. Yeah, that sounded cheesy, but it's as real as anything.

Make a plan to get more exercise, even if it's just walking after dinner. Follow through. I'll challenge you even to get out every day, I'll do it too.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Thanks guys.

For what it’s worth, I’ve got a buddy in a similar situation. He has always biked but a back problem derailed him - left him with one pretty dead leg. Fighting the weight trying to make sure it doesn’t take over his life. An ebike made a huge difference for him.
    Last edited by EWG; 12-01-2020 at 11:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    Wow. You were like a kid when you showed up at Alta in, what? 2002? Now your kids are graduating? Damn. I'm really fucking old.
    I don't get it either. My brain says I'm still college age, the look on my kids faces says I'm old and lame. My body hurts in places it shouldn't and fails me more often than I remember. But damn splat meeting you and the mag crew back in '02 set my life path. Our paths crossed again in what '06/07 when I was living in Reno, you hooked me up with some Bro's after my shit got stolen and now you are my chief supplier the magic goo that keeps me active. Fuck I guess I am old too.