Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    Quote Originally Posted by the artist formerly known as brostoyevski View Post
    I wonder how unsafe the 1900 - 1940 brick houses along the fault ~Highland and above be.
    Mines above Highland and built in 1948. I'm expecting it to be condemned if we get a really big one. I'm sure earthquake retrofitters will be busy this summer, well, if it wasn't for this other bigger natural disaster happening.

I've been earthquake proofing our workshop in the backyard built in the 90's and filling it with supplies. I'm sure when the big one happens the wife will just roll her eyes at the thought of living in the workshop and go to a hotel instead, ha.

Quote Originally Posted by the artist formerly known as brostoyevski View Post
    I wonder how unsafe the 1900 - 1940 brick houses along the fault ~Highland and above be.
    All URM structures on the WF that haven't been retrofitted to withstand seismic loads are basically death traps, especially if you're asleep at the time. SLC has a pretty good grant program that can offset most of the cost of retrofits.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    All URM structures on the WF that haven't been retrofitted to withstand seismic loads are basically death traps, especially if you're asleep at the time. SLC has a pretty good grant program that can offset most of the cost of retrofits.
    I think SLC may be the only Utah city to have the program (fix the bricks), and retrofits aren't cheap. Last I looked, I was told 20-200 a square foot depending on what the engineer came back with.

Pretty good guide here: https://ussc.utah.gov/pages/help.php...+URM+Dwellings

I have a decent amount of anxiety over this, not only is my house URM, but we sleep in the basement, although I think we may at least move upstairs. My wife doesn't share my concern, and she was out of town for the quake last week so didn't get the scare.

Quote Originally Posted by ncskier View Post
    Should this go in the real estate crash thread?
    Not until Sacramento is beachfront.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    I think SLC may be the only Utah city to have the program (fix the bricks), and retrofits aren't cheap. Last I looked, I was told 20-200 a square foot depending on what the engineer came back with.

Pretty good guide here: https://ussc.utah.gov/pages/help.php...+URM+Dwellings

I have a decent amount of anxiety over this, not only is my house URM, but we sleep in the basement, although I think we may at least move upstairs. My wife doesn't share my concern, and she was out of town for the quake last week so didn't get the scare.
    Yeah, not cheap. The SLC program is really kind of amazing if you happen to live in SLC proper. Tell her this might as well be your house:

Last time I checked that grant money is used up already to retro-fit. I think it was 10,000 per house? I'm a few houses outside the border in Millcreek, I have no idea why Millcreek had to be it's own city 4 years back. no google fiber, no grants. Thanks Obama!

That video doesn't represent my house that has wood framing inside and gypsum board instead of drywall, but point taken.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Last time I checked that grant money is used up already to retro-fit. I think it was 10,000 per house? I'm a few houses outside the border in Millcreek, I have no idea why Millcreek had to be it's own city 4 years back. no google fiber, no grants. Thanks Obama!

That video doesn't represent my house that has wood framing inside and gypsum board instead of drywall, but point taken.
    I have stucco exterior and lathe and plaster interior.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    I have stucco exterior and lathe and plaster interior.
    Stucco can be brick underneath and brick can be a facade, not what holds the building up. Multi-wythe brick or URM is the biggest concern. One way find out is to look in your attic where the rafters meet the joists. If the joist is sitting on top of multiple rows of brick and not timber framing then your house is multi-wythe. A quick rule of thumb can be done using an internet search to cross reference the year a house was built with the standard construction practices for that era.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post

I knew the grant program existed but not much else about it. I live halfway to Vegas. I've always assumed corruption was involved in the Millcreek Township secession. Sounds like the residents have really benefited from their independence

If that framing isn't designed to be structural it's just a convenient place to hang stuff.

I took a walk around my Sugarhouse 1914 pile of bricks yesterday to look for new cracks. Spotted a couple of very thin fractures about 2' long which I had never noticed before (had a mason tuckpoint most of the existing cracks 3 years ago while he was rebuilding the chimney so the stale was clean). They run vertically and go through mortar and brick indiscriminately which is new to me, the previous cracks all zigzagged along the mortar and never went through the bricks. Those are from the house slowly settling with the front going faster than the back though.
    There were no visible cracks in the lath and plaster inside. I'm counting this as a major win.

Ms Boissal is still a bit PTSDed by the whole thing, she actually called me after the last 4.1 aftershock. That's a sign that she's seriously bothered, getting that girl to talk on the phone is no small feat.
    I almost pissed myself laughing yesterday when the PS4 controller that was hiding on the couch next to her randomly vibrated. She jumped 4' in the air and was ready to bolt for the door within 1/10th of a second.

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    I took a walk around my Sugarhouse 1914 pile of bricks yesterday to look for new cracks. Spotted a couple of very thin fractures about 2' long which I had never noticed before (had a mason tuckpoint most of the existing cracks 3 years ago while he was rebuilding the chimney so the stale was clean). They run vertically and go through mortar and brick indiscriminately which is new to me, the previous cracks all zigzagged along the mortar and never went through the bricks. Those are from the house slowly settling with the front going faster than the back though.
    There were no visible cracks in the lath and plaster inside. I'm counting this as a major win.

Ms Boissal is still a bit PTSDed by the whole thing, she actually called me after the last 4.1 aftershock. That's a sign that she's seriously bothered, getting that girl to talk on the phone is no small feat.
    I almost pissed myself laughing yesterday when the PS4 controller that was hiding on the couch next to her randomly vibrated. She jumped 4' in the air and was ready to bolt for the door within 1/10th of a second.
    Your story brings back nervous memories of me and Mrs. Galibier - having moved to San Francisco three days before the 7.1 in 1989.

I think it was 2 weeks before we stopped sleeping fully dressed, and every aftershock (for the next 6 months) dumped a load of adrenaline into our system.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

That aftershock 10 minutes ago was a nice shudder at work. Centered near the airport. Only a 3.3, but I don't know how you Californians deal with this shit.

Smugly?
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

I would think that knowing when a bad event like flooding/tornado/virus is coming is worse than a (short) sharp shock.

Quote Originally Posted by truckeelocal View Post
    I would think that knowing when a bad event like flooding/tornado/virus is coming is worse than a (short) sharp shock.
    As someone who grew up in tornado country, I'll disagree. I like some degree of preparedness.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Smugly?
    Yes. And they probably don't get out of bed for anything bigger than a 6, right?

I lived in Santiago Chile for a while when I was younger, like 22, and my roommates and I all slept through a 6.3 quake cause we were HAMMERED. We had broken plates in the kitchen and stuff in the afternoon when we woke up. We thought we had just trashed the apartment partying, We didn't know about the earthquake until someone came over and flipped the tv over to the news, and we were like, "oh shit."

sent from Utah.
    sigless.

^^^That's an awesome story.

Within 20 seconds of this morning's quake I got a text from Ms Boissal telling me that her whole building wobbled. She works on the 14th floor so I'm sure it's not particularly reassuring. I was on the skinner huffing and puffing and didn't notice shit other. Unless the quake caused one of the trees to drop snow on my head but that happens regardless...

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    I missed the last one today cant feel or hear em on the forklift
    goin marion moskows on the rocks tonight

if we gits another tornado this summer im outta here
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno