Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Random tools/parts you’ve needed while out & about

On the bike:
    A buddy lost the cotter pin thing on his Shimano brakes. Fortunately someone in our group had one.
    I had a presta valve core gum up so bad air wouldn’t go in or out. Discovered this at the top of a 2hr climb. Spent 45 min cleaning it out enough to keep going.

In the car:
    Before I started building my own wheels, we would break spokes often enough that I travel with different length spokes for every wheel in our stable, spoke wrench, rim tape, Stans and CO2 to reset. Funny thing is, haven’t broken a spoke on any wheel I’ve built.

Edit: I’ve heard rumor of some people riding with a cassette lockring tool. Wonder if they have a 12” Crescent wrench and chain whip too.
    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

I keep at least 2 valve cores in the tubeless repair kit. A chain tool is always a good one to have, Park CT-5 is small and not terribly heavy, I've needed it a handful of times over the years and would have been walking without it. Tire boots are a good idea too especially since nobody carries cash anymore. Zip ties. I used to carry spokes before tubeless was a thing.

I had a buddy borrow a frame pump mid ride, because he had a rim strike and wanted to air up.
    It was a screw on type pump, and on the removal he accidentally unscrewed his valve core and somehow lost it in the dirt/side of trail.
    Nobody in the group had a spare valve core.
    It would have been a long walk out. We ended up using a pump with a screw on short hose, and zip tying the pump between the spokes to keep the air in the wheel.
    I now carry a spare valve core with me.

This will make a good list.

I was wanting to put together a small toolbox for the car and a few extra pieces for the pack.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

I need to add a valve core and core tool to my camelback tool kit.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    I had a buddy borrow a frame pump mid ride, because he had a rim strike and wanted to air up.
    It was a screw on type pump, and on the removal he accidentally unscrewed his valve core and somehow lost it in the dirt/side of trail.
    Nobody in the group had a spare valve core.
    It would have been a long walk out. We ended up using a pump with a screw on short hose, and zip tying the pump between the spokes to keep the air in the wheel.
    I now carry a spare valve core with me.
    This is why I hate screw on pumps. Lezynes can fuck right off.

Spoke wrench fits valve cores if you carry one of the ones with multiple sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    I had a presta valve core gum up so bad air wouldn’t go in or out. Discovered this at the top of a 2hr climb.
    Have had the same thing happen so I now carry a couple spare valve cores in my kit.

Have also had my hand pump that has been reliable for 15+ yrs suddenly stop working on presta valves. I happened to not have the CO2 or presta/schraeder adaptor I normally carry so had to bail 20mi into a 3 day bikepacking trip. Good it happened then though and not hours from anything in the desert. Of course the pump worked just fine once I got home to take a closer look at it.

a spare der hanger is a really good idea,

spare quick links some spare chain links from when I changed a chain

back in the day of hayes mags (1st gen brakes) I kacked 3 brake hoses but they seem pretty good now days

for a weekend away I would carry these parts, a brake bleed kit, spare tire, spare tubes, shop pump, spare chain
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    I happened to not have the CO2 or presta/schraeder adaptor I normally carry so had to bail 20mi into a 3 day bikepacking trip.
    I always leave one plastic Presta valve cover on one wheel. In a real pinch you can cut off the tip of the valve cover (or wear it down on the asphalt/rock) and it works as a Schrader to Presta adapter.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    I always leave one plastic Presta valve cover on one wheel. In a real pinch you can cut off the tip of the valve cover (or wear it down on the asphalt/rock) and it works as a Schrader to Presta adapter.
    That is a damn good trick to know. Never would have thought of it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KK5HQ41..._1wPCEbDT4PS96
    I’ve got one of these caps on every bike now. Way better than the little plastic things that will strip out.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Top of my head
    Two tubolito tubes
    Der. Hanger
    Pump
    Tire levers
    Valve cores
    Wolftooth Chain pliers and spare links (three)
    Wolftooth Encase tool system
    (In the handlebars, holds most common tools, chain tools, bacon, spare link)
    More spare master links in chain pliers
    Spare cleat and bolts
    Spare brake bolts, spare stem/etc water bottle bolts
    Spare der. Cable
    Lighter
    Patches
    Sometimes headlamp
    Zip ties
    Knife
    Stan’s Dart plugs
    Gorilla Tape (tire boot, etc)
    Electrical tape
    Wing nut valve stem nuts

It’s all tucked away super tight, barely know it’s all there.
    I might think of more for really long rides (like iodine tablets, etc)

How i carry it:
    Wolftooth tool

(doesn't hit tire)

KMC chain tool/tire levers

Tubolito
    Last edited by rideit; 04-01-2020 at 05:53 PM.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4476.JPG 
Views:	52 
Size:	169.0 KB 
ID:	320985
    Road bike bag.
    Listed from 12 O’clock - around
    -Saddle Bag
    -Chain lube
    -10sd, 11sp quick link, presta valve adapter, valve core (small parts wrapped in green tape)
    -Tool with chain breaker and tire lever
    -Second tire leaver (because I ride road tubeless)
    -Tubeless repair kit w razor blade (handle of tool is cut off and threads cut into tool so it threads into my CO2 valve for leverage)
    -Tube patch kit
    -Tube w elastic bands and elastic hair tie
    -2x 16oz CO2 and dispenser
    -Zip ties
    -Dude wipes
    -Chamois cream

Weighing in at 681g.
    What am I missing? I can add a 2nd tube (74g).
    What can I reduce? I have a Tubolito (23g) but with my luck I’ll have to use a $37 tube on a buddies bike. I could reduce the chain tool?

I have not unpacked my MTB bike kit yet. But I will post that soon.
    Last edited by Dee Hubbs; 03-18-2020 at 05:30 PM.

Heavy duty zip ties are a must. I ran across a guy about 10 miles up a trail in Tahoe who had managed to lose the rear saddle clamp bolt. I put a couple zip ties on for him and he was able to ride down.

Hey nerds, this is the random parts needed thread, not the list the entire contents of your pack thread.

We passed a guy walking down Porcupine due to a broken shock bolt. Many zip ties got him up and...limping. Broke a rear derailleur at the main pivot on UPS once. Wasn't prepared for that one, and likely never will be.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Once on the Burro climb, at the beginning of Whole Enchilada, I set the bike down and happened to hit a rock directly on the aluminum valve stem and broke it off.
    I now carry an extra valve stem for others (I shouldn't need it since it taught me to stick with brass valve stems).
    Also, I found a 6mm to 8mm adaptor. Most multitools don't go to 8mm. I've gotten three separate riders up and running who were sitting with either pedal or crank bolt issues.
    I also carry the little plastic Di2 wire lead tool from when I was running Di2. Getting the derailleur wire in place is impossible without it. Weighs nothing and takes no space and, who knows?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

When's the last time you've broken a derailleur hanger? I think of that as something from the past. Plus, they get very frame specific and expensive.

When's the last time you've broken a derailleur hanger? I think of that as something from the past. Plus, they get very frame specific and expensive.
    Now that you mention it, It's been quite awhile since I snapped one off, prob 7 or 8 years. I always keep a spare one on me while riding because why not if it weights just a few grams. I usually replace the hanger when it gets bent and I've bent it back more than a few times.

You're right - with clutch derailleurs and 1x shifting I can't recall snapping a hanger.

Quote Originally Posted by HankScorpio View Post
    Now that you mention it, It's been quite awhile since I snapped one off, prob 7 or 8 years. I always keep a spare one on me while riding because why not if it weights just a few grams. I usually replace the hanger when it gets bent and I've bent it back more than a few times.

You're right - with clutch derailleurs and 1x shifting I can't recall snapping a hanger.
    Pretty sure they've always been frame specific.
    Here in the rocky technical steeps of northern New Mexico, I average about 2/year.
    Not broken, mind you, but bent.
    So yes, there is one in both mine and my wife's packs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

I broke a derailleur hanger at Silver Mountain last season during the NAEC race. I now carry a spare with me.

My last bike came with a spare because they'd bend so easily... to save the derailleur. So, I used to keep it in the big bag for big rides like the enchilada etc.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

It's been 7-8 years since I've broken one, but definitely carry one now.

Cleat screws have come in handy a few times. And zip ties. Used em to hold a brake on when I lost a mounting bolt.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Hey nerds, this is the random parts needed thread, not the list the entire contents of your pack thread.

We passed a guy walking down Porcupine due to a broken shock bolt. Many zip ties got him up and...limping. Broke a rear derailleur at the main pivot on UPS once. Wasn't prepared for that one, and likely never will be.
    I have been know to carry a spare derailluer on some truly epic rides. Never actually needed it, though, now that I think about it.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

and because hangers are frame specific if you go somewhere and break a hanger a couple hrs into the ride you won't find another one so you are fucking around trying to make the bike into an SS instead of riding which I have had to do with someone else's bike
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know