Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I can remember needing a hangar (either me or usually with someone who did) a few times over the years, and when you break one its very much a ride ruiner and can be very hard to find a replacement, especially if you are traveling.

On my newest bike I bought a spare hangar right away and zip tie+taped it to my saddle rail, so I can't even see it but it's always with my bike.

I have saved the day a couple times with the spare derailleur cable I keep in my pack, although the latest versions of sram and shimano drivetrains break cables way less than they used to, and there's ways to bodge it into the middle of the cassette or something and get by.

I broke a couple RDs on my last bike, never broke or even seriously bent a hanger. Maybe Giant didn't get the memo that it's supposed to work the other way around. I have no spare hangers for my current bikes and should probably buy some while they're available.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    I have no spare hangers for my current bikes and should probably buy some while they're available.
    May I suggest one from North Shore Billet. Their build quality and material choice is almost always far better than what is provided from the bike company's stock part.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    May I suggest one from North Shore Billet. Their build quality and material choice is almost always far better than what is provided from the bike company's stock part.
    Looks like they don't carry hangers for any of the bikes I own.

edit: brands owned include Ragley, GG and Diamondback. They carry DB but not for the Release.

Wow, they carry hangers for 55 brands and almost 150 different 150.

https://wheelsmfg.com/derailleur-hangers.html
    If they don't make it, it doesn't exist
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxtar View Post
    https://wheelsmfg.com/derailleur-hangers.html
    If they don't make it, it doesn't exist
    My bike isn't on there NS Bikes Snabb

My kit has grown over the years since once something strands me, a solution for it comes with me from then on, most recently I was caught out for not having any way to tighten a loose valve core, causing the most frustrating experience of trying to tighten the screw on pump one tiny cunthair less tight than I could hand tighten the core.. and having a pedal fall off cuz I didn't have an Allen key large enough to tighten the fucker back on.

Compared to most people I feel like I to travel pretty heavy, but maybe I just remember the time when shit used to break on the reg.

Couple years ago as I was getting back into biking I thought I lost a nut for my rear axle about a quarter of the way down the whole enchilada, looked up and down the trail, sent my friends on their way, was making plans for a pickup at warner lake.. when my brain fart ended I realized it was a thru axle and had just come loose. DOH!! Wasn't even stoned for that one.

I use these for valve stems, they NEVER need to be tighter than what leverage these give.

https://www.modernbike.com/product-2...CABEgKHL_D_BwE
    Last edited by rideit; 04-04-2020 at 01:38 PM.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Random tools/parts you’ve needed while out & about

I’ve told this story once before here along time ago. I think it was in the getto tubeless thread.
    I came across a girl on the trail with a flat, struggling to change her tire.
    I stopped and offered to help.
    Long story short, her valve stem nut was put on so tight (with pliers) that both me and my buddy who had leatherman pliers couldn’t budge the valve stem nut. It had tool marks on it before we started, and now that I look back at it I swear it must have been epoxied on the stem. There was no way to remove her valve stem to insert a tube. We even tried to remount her tire and air it up, but the cut was too big to hold air.
    We told her she should just walk the bike out and let her “mechanic” (boyfriend) know that he had fucked her. He must have put vice grips on the lock ring and cranked it down so hard. I’ve never seen one this locked down, not even in the shop.

Quote Originally Posted by rip View Post
    My bike isn't on there NS Bikes Snabb

My kit has grown over the years since once something strands me, a solution for it comes with me from then on, most recently I was caught out for not having any way to tighten a loose valve core, causing the most frustrating experience of trying to tighten the screw on pump one tiny cunthair less tight than I could hand tighten the core.. and having a pedal fall off cuz I didn't have an Allen key large enough to tighten the fucker back on.

Compared to most people I feel like I to travel pretty heavy, but maybe I just remember the time when shit used to break on the reg.

Couple years ago as I was getting back into biking I thought I lost a nut for my rear axle about a quarter of the way down the whole enchilada, looked up and down the trail, sent my friends on their way, was making plans for a pickup at warner lake.. when my brain fart ended I realized it was a thru axle and had just come loose. DOH!! Wasn't even stoned for that one.
    This looks like a regular old presta/schrader adapter but turn it over and it's a valve core remover. They are aluminum and weigh next to nothing so I keep one on my bike and one on my daughters bike so I always have a way to deal with valve cores if I need to. https://biketubebrand.com/accessorie...e-removal-tool

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    I’ve told this story once before here along time ago. I think it was in the getto tubeless thread.
    I came across a girl on the trail with a flat, struggling to change her tire.
    I stopped and offered to help.
    Long story short, her valve stem nut was put on so tight (with pliers) that both me and my buddy who had leatherman pliers couldn’t budge the valve stem nut. It had tool marks on it before we started, and now that I look back at it I swear it must have been epoxied on the stem. There was no way to remove her valve stem to insert a tube. We even tried to remount her tire and air it up, but the cut was too big to hold air.
    We told her she should just walk the bike out and let her “mechanic” (boyfriend) know that he had fucked her. He must have put vice grips on the lock ring and cranked it down so hard. I’ve never seen one this locked down, not even in the shop.
    Yup...it took me a few years of ghetto tubeless setup in the early days to figure out that usually the air wasn’t actually escaping from the valve stem/rim seal, but usually from the rim strip/tape job somewhere. Many frustrating moments.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    Was guiding a day trip on the CT and ran in to a buddy who worked for a different company finishing up a four day CT trip. He had snapped his shifter clamp, and with all the zip ties in the world still had to hold the shifter in place with one hand and shift with the other. I hadn’t run SRAM in three or four years but happened to stash a shifter clamp when I had broken one on my old bike. He was pretty much ecstatic.

Still carry an old ski file in my big bag for cleaning up mashed chainring teeth and such, not such a problem now that the big ring is on the back. Have had to use it to clean up a stanchion that buddy punched a rock with, and once had to file down a spare chainring bolt that was too long. Took a while, but it worked.

I suppose if you ride enough for long enough you’d justify anything you could bring. I never ride with a pack on the home trails, but in the high country I’m firmly in the just bring it anyway camp.