Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    I'll add that that if you don't mind gong a bit wider, the Zero G 108 is a phenomenal ski mountaineering ski. They are utterly predictable, excellent on hard snow and deal with gloppy spring snow better than any 95mm ski. They are my preferred spring ski in CO. I only use my Zero G 85's on long-ass days that will involve lots of kick turns or sidehilling.
    New or OG 108’s?

^^^OG. Haven't skied the new ones, but will probably buy the first cheap pair I come across.

Quote Originally Posted by whatsupdoc View Post
    FWIW I own a Zero G 95 and an MTN Explore 95.

No one would confuse the MTN with a heavy, damp ski. That being said, it's a much smoother ski than the Zero G 95. Not as high strung & more damp. It handles a variety of snow conditions quite well for the weight. It's better than the Zero G 95 in soft snow with more tip rocker and splay.

I use the Zero G 95 for long distance spring missions with a lighter boot (TLT6). MTN Explore 95 is my preferred spring time ski for slightly shorter approaches (although I've taken it on > 20 mile days without issue) or more difficult lines (for me at least). I ski the MTN Explore with a Maestrale RS.

This is just conjecture, but I imagine a Vwerks Mantra will ski better given the extra weight.
    Yeah, the katanas ski better than the mtn. I had both and i sold the mtn after skiing Shasta in frozen, it was unstable at speed.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

The 95 is a ski that comes with the sacrifices of being 1500g and pretty cheap. The Katana is fatter, 400g heavier, and $400 more expensive. Why would anyone be surprised the katana is more stable at speed?

Also, the OP is looking for a 95 waist ski. Last I checked the Katana ain’t it.

Quote Originally Posted by kathleenturneroverdrive View Post
    The 95 is a ski that comes with the sacrifices of being 1500g and pretty cheap. The Katana is fatter, 400g heavier, and $400 more expensive. Why would anyone be surprised the katana is more stable at speed?

Also, the OP is looking for a 95 waist ski. Last I checked the Katana ain’t it.
    Ok, but even though it's wide, the katanas hold a great edge on ice, and they are very versatile

I’d love to own a the Katana, but like OP the price is tough to justify. Although I was looking up the weight and did find a pair for $537 from snow country.eu if anyone wants some “cheap” 191’s right now

I mean it really seems like the answer is the V Werks Mantra. If you can’t find them cheap at this time of year, particularly this year, you deserve to pay full price

Quote Originally Posted by CaliBrit View Post
    I mean it really seems like the answer is the V Werks Mantra. If you can’t find them cheap at this time of year, particularly this year, you deserve to pay full price
    I really think the katanas are more versatile than the mantras

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    I really think the katanas are more versatile than the mantras

I’ll find out! Found a pair of 184’s end of last season for $500 or so. Been so low tide here in Sun Valley I’ve never got bindings on them!

Thanks all for the great response. I think for now I'll keep my eyes out for a good VW mantra deal, assuming most retailers will be left with a lot of stock this season, and otherwise just keep lugging the katanas around except for the really long days. Given that most mountain huts are closed for the season due to corona, touring days have become a lot longer and maybe the zeroG 95 will be the ski for this season after all.

@ Shredhead: I am in Europe, but will move to the US in the near future, if this travel ban is ever lifted. If you still have them at the end of season hit me up.

I've also considered the zeroG 108 cause it sounds like it is damper than the 95, but at that width it is just a tad too much overlap with the VW katana. If I could own only one touring stick it would be a good call.

What is the collective's verdict on the freebird Navis? I see a lot of them but this also may be due to Black Crows being the hippest thing these days. On paper they look good but i've been told they are rather soft? Contrarily I see very few camox fb.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliBrit View Post
    I’ll find out! Found a pair of 184’s end of last season for $500 or so. Been so low tide here in Sun Valley I’ve never got bindings on them!
    Cool, they will work well with the mtn bindings and pomoca skins

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    Cool, they will work well with the mtn bindings and pomoca skins

Putting atk fr14’s on. And contour hybrid skins, the weird ones split in 2 pieces

Smooth Op, did you find those Mantras yet? Those things look tasty.

Anyone ski the BD Helio 95? (Not the Helio Recon 95...) This one: https://skimo.co/black-diamond-helio-95

Seems to fit the bill set by OP, if a touch "light" at 1500g in 183. I just picked up a pair. Wondering where to mount...BD says 824mm from the tail.
    (https://www.blackdiamondequipment.co...MountSpecs.pdf)

People seem to like the Helio, and the ZeroG 95 I had felt too short in 178, too light, and yet too demanding. An interesting, useful combo, but not all that fun. Helio shape looks much more funner, and flex more round from the hand-hump. Still need to mount and get on snow though.

Relatedly, ...or not..., maybe I should take this bizarro-no-time of the 'rona shutdown, and write up my bitchy takes on the way-too-many touring skis I've cycled through in the last five years (ZG95, Raven, LD102, MVP, Bibby Tour, Protest, Backland 107, Cochise, Praxis BC...shit it's embarrassing haha)...
    sproing!

Just an FYI - we're all here for bitchy takes on skis. Seriously. Write that shit up!

I agree, write it up!

Those bd skis.... prepreg carbon.... that’s SO dps skis....

3rd, we've got similar tastes I think meterman and I'd love to read your thoughts on some of those

Ha, okay. I'll see what I can cook up.
    sproing!

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    Smooth Op, did you find those Mantras yet? Those things look tasty.
    Nope, never found a good deal and as I will move to the US this year i need less, not more skis to ship overseas. Also, it turned into full-on summer here in the Alps and if we dont get some snow in the next weeks the season will be very short, i.e. not worth getting new skis. I've just been draggin my Katana's on massive 2000 hm tours and apart from icy skintracks, it is managable.

i keep looking at cheap ~95 mm sticks in the 16-1700 gram category tho. Anybody ever ski the Atomic Vantage 97 C ? The ti version is said to be burly, but the (women's) 97 C can be had really cheap and fits the bill, on paper at least.

Damp, stable and somewhat light at ~95mm: What touring ski am I?

Been going over this same decision over the summer. Got a decent quiver and currently have Rustler 11s with Shifts for sidecountry. Bought some more Shifts in the 'vid sales but have decided the quiver really needs a lighter 95-99mm touring set-up (177cm-180cm). Don't need super light....approx. 1,500gm -1,600gm per ski ok.

Am gonna trade the Shifts I bought in for Salomon MTNs or Fritschi Tectons.

Narrowed my ski short list down to...leaning the Faction Primes....1mm of camber...mmm....or maybe Tracer 98s?

Shortlist:
    Faction Prime 2.0
    4FRNT Ravens
    Armada Tracer 98
    Dynastar Mythic 97
    Salomon Mtn Explore 95
    Volkl Blaze 94
    Blizzard Zero G 95

First recommendation would have been the VW mantra, but check out the VW BMT 90. A bit narrower but otherwise checks all the boxes, I think.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I have come to the conclusion that 1300 grams is just too light for a ski if you want to push it (in non-homogenous snow). So now leaning towards a ~1600 gram ski at 95 mm. The mantra VWerks is high on the list, because i absolutely love the VW katana, but at roughly 1/2 the price the volkl blaze 94 also sounds interesting.
    Have heard mixed stories about those faction primes that make me a bit weary.

Damp, stable and somewhat light at ~95mm: What touring ski am I?

As a Mantra102 fan, that blaze series is beautiful on paper. So simple and classic. No brainer for me.

But I’m not a carbon fan. I tolerate carbon. Kinda feel like it’s over used in the M102 as a supplement to titanol.

I get it. I like the piste performance of the M102. But the moment that Blaze series was released I was drooling. That’s the first ski to nudge the raven off my radar.

Raven - full-rocker, huge turning radius. Makes everything easy, but not the most "fun" ski. Skis short, and it's heavy. I had the 184 and it felt small. It also felt like a small pow ski - I'd rather be on a real pow ski if there is pow.

ZeroG 95 - very light, surprisingly versatile for its weight, stiff. I had a 178, and it felt too small - size up.

BD Helio 95 - what I'm on now. Skis a lot better than the ZeroG (damper) and a bit more fun too. 183.

Dunno about the others...
    sproing!

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    BD Helio 95 - what I'm on now. Skis a lot better than the ZeroG (damper) and a bit more fun too. 183.
    How stiff does that 95 feel? The last BD ski I tried was a noodle, but the 95 or even 104 Helio caught my attention for a lighter, narrower touring ski.