Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by concretejungle View Post
    I was super impressed with the rock quality and easy access for a quick trip outside (we were checking it out for a future relocation). I did a couple classics (maybe sandbagged but I'm from SWMT and we know how to sandbag) and tried a couple projects for the next trip. I knew it'd be busier because of the gyms closing (sleeping at an empty Front was odd) but figured that's around the normal number of people with it being so near to SLC and the nice weather.
    Next time you're in town hit me up, I can give you a tour of all the obscurities the canyon has to offer (I happen to own a Black Bible, the legendary UT guidebook that's been out of print forever). There are thousands of problems and the longest hike is probably 15 minutes with the vast majority being less than 30 seconds from the car. The rock tends to be immaculate but the lack of steep stuff doesn't jive with the current crop of gym climbers. If you like techy no-hold friction stuff that tends to be tall and super hard to read LCC is gold as long as you don't care about the grades.

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    Next time you're in town hit me up, I can give you a tour of all the obscurities the canyon has to offer (I happen to own a Black Bible, the legendary UT guidebook that's been out of print forever). There are thousands of problems and the longest hike is probably 15 minutes with the vast majority being less than 30 seconds from the car. The rock tends to be immaculate but the lack of steep stuff doesn't jive with the current crop of gym climbers. If you like techy no-hold friction stuff that tends to be tall and super hard to read LCC is gold as long as you don't care about the grades.
    Will do. I've got the Black Bible as well but I (which includes dragging my partner around) try to stick to the low hanging fruit on my initial trips.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Hurricane/Gooseberry Question.,.did they ever get a handle on the tiny-house bullshit rentals that were going on near the JEM trail? Cause that shit was lame.
    Dunno, but I wouldn't be upset if the yurt up by Gooseberry went away.

But supposedly that whole area is going the route of camping only in designated spots (many of the dispersed sites will be designated) soon. And they will be paving Smithsonian Butte Rd (including Crybaby hill down toward bottom of Grafton) so we will be competing with more #vanlifers and Zion campers. Progress!

Given how insane the Mesa is on a weekend, it might actually be an improvement. Just make your reservations early? 1/2 of my trips there over the 25 years have been sort of on a whim...
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

No entrance fees for National Parks. This opens the floodgates: https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/18/polit...rus/index.html.

I don’t actually think that will change visitation all that much. People planning on a National Park trip were all prepared to pay anyway, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by rippling over canyons View Post
    No entrance fees for National Parks. This opens the floodgates: https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/18/polit...rus/index.html.
    This makes no sense to me at all. Self isolation! Shelter in place! No large group gatherings!

And FREE ENTRANCE TO NATIONAL PARKS!

Wtf ?

Quote Originally Posted by jmedslc View Post
    This makes no sense to me at all. Self isolation! Shelter in place! No large group gatherings!

And FREE ENTRANCE TO NATIONAL PARKS!

Wtf ?
    Right. The goal here isn't to stop people from going outside, its to stop travel, especially to unaffected rural areas. Not rocket surgery.

Didn’t think of that. This is going to encourage outside visitation here, which is the opposite of what we want right now.
    Who the hell is in charge here?

Come out to the Parks, we'll get together, have a few laughs

Cram everyone into Arches NP then lock the gates!

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Given how insane the Mesa is on a weekend, it might actually be an improvement. Just make your reservations early? 1/2 of my trips there over the 25 years have been sort of on a whim...
    Dunno. I seem to have the impression it would be dispersed camping like yellow post sites, not reserved camping. With higher traffic from the Zion side able to access the mesa it could make it very hard to find camping within riding distance from camp. One of the reasons I've always liked going to Hurricane is you never had to plan ahead and never had to worry much about finding a campsite last minute. Though its been more of a pain the last few years.

I'm leaving tomorrow to work over in Caliente for the next 8 days. I'll have 8 others with me and we will be camping out in the field.

I'm not happy about traveling but the show must go on and I'm sure glad to be working still.

I have gloves for pumping gas and a large bottle of sanitizer. Restroom breaks for the crew has me concerned. If I could I wouldn't travel right now, it just doesn't seem right to me.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP IN7RO View Post
    Come out to the Parks, we'll get together, have a few laughs
    Without any actual open lodging the free admission thing seems more like a locals perk.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

nature took care of moab. probably going to take awhile to dry out.
    off your knees Louie

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    Right. The goal here isn't to stop people from going outside, its to stop travel, especially to unaffected rural areas.
    um........

Who the fuck put this Bernhardt idiot in charge?

Oh right.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

I just rode. Saw two other riders. No camping signs were up. Never went into town. It appeared a number of van lifers are camping. Certainly deserted.