Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Just Heard They Closed Moab

Gates are shut, don’t go.
    (No camping on public lands is what I heard)
    Last edited by rideit; 03-17-2020 at 04:05 PM.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

I have German relatives Who are currently camping in the Moab area. At least, they have been since Thursday. I guess that I can expect them at my doorstep within hours
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Good, heaps of idiots from Breck are planning on going there. They don't understand the shelter in place, limit contact, don't travel suggestions until they are forced down our throats with closures.

It says strongly advise to come for recreation, it does not ban camping on public lands.

Wife was going camping with the kids on Thursday in a remote part of the swell, bummer. No camping means we are going to go insane at home. I would still go but I know she won't.

Quote Originally Posted by timmaio View Post
    Good, heaps of idiots from Breck are planning on going there. They don't understand the shelter in place, limit contact, don't travel suggestions until they are forced down our throats with closures.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    It says strongly advise to come for recreation, it does not ban camping on public lands.

https://moabcity.org/551/COVID-19-In...on-and-Updates

"Overnight Lodging. Effective at 10 pm (MST) on March 17, 2020, all overnight and short-term lodging facilities (including but not limited to hotels, motels, condos, townhomes, guest homes, RV parks,
    and all camping on public or private lands)"
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

Quote Originally Posted by timmaio View Post
    Too many people are using these shutdowns as an excuse to go on vacation.
    No kick turns
    No mercy

Quote Originally Posted by grubbers View Post
    In fairness, I think this shutdown coincided with vacations that a lot of people had already planned. It's harder to reverse the momentum of existing plans, especially when those plans involve semi remote camping and (theoretically) not being around a lot of people.

Quote Originally Posted by grubbers View Post
    Duh
    Can't decide if I'm road riding on the front range or mtbing in bv tomorrow pretty tough decisions
    Enjoyed myself on the western slope this weekend probably headed back on Saturday
    Quietest mud season in breck in like ten years or more
    Not wasting my free time sitting at home

Camping ban only affects Carbon, Emery and Grand counties...for now.

The other things these idiots are not paying attention to is that hospitals are going to be overrun (if they aren't already) and some people in Moab are gonna get hurt.

Example: When Johnny Utah, from Pennsylvania, who just did his first season as a lift op in Breck, takes off to Moab and rides a bike for the first time in 3 years, breaks his arm riding Captain Ahab, and has to go to the hospital -- well that idiot is taking away resources from the over flowing critical patients.

Psshaw...no one gets hurt riding mountain bikes

Hospital point is what sold me. Normal the limited hospital beds are for Cletus the fat Ohio smoker in his side by side has chest pains that is really just indigestion from the Mexican joint.

Moose out front shoulda told ya

If you compare the resources in a town of 20,000 to a tourist destination with 20,000 visitors it is just laughable. Discarding the jingoistic, "the tourists brought it here" rhetoric, the tourist town are easily overwhelmed. I mean I live in Grand County Colorado and his is what we got

https://www.facebook.com/skyhinews/v...51371748/?t=16

I don’t want to get too pedantic but if the BLM and FS doesn’t officially close land it’s open. I absolutely could be wrong, of course . Sounds like it will be closed soon. None of the links above though say it’s illegal to camp on BLM or FS, right? Just strongly preferring you to stay home.

Either way, the vibe is to “do the right thing, and don’t be a dick”.

Just playing devils advocate here,

But if people are camping on BLM land and not utilizing the town of Moab for anything...is that increasing the spread of the virus?

Or is the argument only the broken-arm-taking-away-from-resources argument that HBM referenced?

It seems to me that mountain biking (and dispersed camping) is as good of a self-quarantine as staying home?

Am i wrong?

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Well, things happen, and you end up at the gas station, grocery store, NAPA, the hospital, car wreck, kid falls off some rocks, etc, without your planning on doing so. If no one is there, that risk of accidental transmission is reduced greatly.

I like this article regarding whether you should leave your snow covered mountain town to go to another smaller town that is warmer.

https://www.mountainlifemedia.ca/202...hingn-outside/ rushingn-outside/

Go ride, have fun, just keep it in check and don’t add any more stress to the health care system, and don’t bring your Coronavirus into town.

Stay far away, bring your own food and gas.

Where I live we only have 3 ventilators for the entire county, we also have a large retirement community, if you bring your germs to Chaffee county, you could possibly cause our small health care system to be completely overwhelmed.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Well, things happen, and you end up at the gas station, grocery store, NAPA, the hospital, car wreck, kid falls off some rocks, etc, without your planning on doing so. If no one is there, that risk of accidental transmission is reduced greatly.
    Not like if you stayed?
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Honestly, more than anything, I think it's the social stigma that has me rethinking plans of going to the desert.

I'm pretty confident that we could stay self contained and, aside from a few stops for fuel and an occasional encounter on the trails, avoid other people and businesses. We'd keep it mellow and avoid going into towns. But being the guy that's driving around with bikes and out of state plates kinda looks pretty douchey right now.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    But being the guy that's driving around with bikes and out of state plates looks like an easy target
    lemme fix that for you